The Heirs of Henry VIII and Katherine

I'm in the middle of the fall weddings for this TL, but I thought I'd share something. Originally, it was my intention (okay, it was the gaming dice's intention) for Anne to go to Ireland against her will (pregnant with a Butler heir, of course); however, the story and the characters decided against it. So, I was going to wed her to Courtenay and let her stay in England. Then Gertrude and Henry (Percy) showed up and we had a little lopsided wooing from the three dudes (Butler, Courtenay, Percy). I knew Anne wasn't wedding Percy this TL. So, I broke out the dice once more and she still ended up with Butler, but not so reluctantly. She'll still go to Ireland when her pregnancy is well settled, but she'll be coming back to England until James comes into his inheritance and (hopefully) their son comes to the English Court.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of the fall weddings for this TL, but I thought I'd share something. Originally, it was my intention (okay, it was the gaming dice's intention) for Anne to go to Ireland against her will (pregnant with a Butler heir, of course); however, the story and the characters decided against it. So, I was going to wed her to Courtenay and let her stay in England. Then Gertrude and Henry (Percy) showed up and we had a little lopsided wooing from the three dudes (Butler, Courtenay, Percy). I knew Anne wasn't wedding Percy this TL. So, I broke out the dice once more and she ended up with Butler, but not so reluctantly. She'll still go to Ireland when her pregnancy is well settled, but she'll be coming back to England until James comes into his inheritance and (hopefully) their son comes to the English Court.
I just love how you use the dice to settle things, both fair and foul!

Thank you! I started using them because it gives me some reality (in that things don't always go the way I want). Just like real life. I don't always use them if there's something I need (for the story), but in other things, like who Anne Boleyn married here. But in "What Mistress Boleyn Wants" I didn't use the dice to find out if Anne wed Percy using her story to Katherine (about thinking she was preggers), because it was necessary to the TL.

Last edited:
I'm back, and like all the other writers, hope you're glad to see that I'm back writing! I like when you like what i write and post!!!

Last edited:
Well, I am back and was trying to the typfng station set up to begin (which involves giving fur babies treats. Typed a bit, read it. Looked like I could not pass a DUI test (passing being the results I want). My BP is 70/59 and it has literally taken me over an hour to get this far. So, I will bid you all Good Morrow to all.

sorry...

Well, I am back and was trying to the typfng station set up to begin (which involves giving fur babies treats. Typed a bit, read it. Looked like I could not pass a DUI test (passing being the results I want). My BP is 70/59 and it has literally taken me over an hour to get this far. So, I will bid you all Good Morrow to all.

sorry...
70/59? That's scary low! Be well!

Apologies for having been so long on the road, so to speak. My brother's house burned down in June - the worst loss being his two rescue dogs. (He's already got two puppies to help fill the void, rescues directly from the vet - their owners couldn't be bother because the trio of brothers had parvo and worms. The vet refused to put them down and all three are now hale and hearty. Third one went to another family.)

Good news, USAA declared the house a total loss from foundation to roof and he's now getting ready to move into a 100-year-old house that requires some updating and was priced under market value for that reason. He's been staying with me and neither of us are roommate material, so we've been sleeping badly and his dogs are puppies and active! I'm too old for kiddoes. And that's what it's like.

Anyhow, I'll be getting back to this as soon as a re-read what I've written and can post a decent story.

desi

Apologies for having been so long on the road, so to speak. My brother's house burned down in June - the worst loss being his two rescue dogs. (He's already got two puppies to help fill the void, rescues directly from the vet - their owners couldn't be bother because the trio of brothers had parvo and worms. The vet refused to put them down and all three are now hale and hearty. Third one went to another family.)

Good news, USAA declared the house a total loss from foundation to roof and he's now getting ready to move into a 100-year-old house that requires some updating and was priced under market value for that reason. He's been staying with me and neither of us are roommate material, so we've been sleeping badly and his dogs are puppies and active! I'm too old for kiddoes. And that's what it's like.

Anyhow, I'll be getting back to this as soon as a re-read what I've written and can post a decent story.

desi
Don't worry and take your time. I hope your brother is doing well.

Am in brother's "new" (to him, it's 102 years old) home, waiting for the gas man to come hook him up so he can have hot water and a working stove. Had to pay a locksmith to get rid of a numbered deadbolt lock! (Whoever put it in didn't bother to pass on the code; not even to the realtor.)

Late September - November 1519
21 September - October

The last ten days of September found Queen Katherine in bed. It seems the babe had kicked her in the back, knocking her off her feet. The child seemed determined to harass it's mother - feet against her spine, head against her abdominal wall. Both the midwife and doctor were in agreement: she would spend some time in her quarters, waiting for the child to shift.

Preparations for the weddings of Henry Percy to Gertrude Blount and of James Butler to Anne Boleyn were underway. The ladies had decided to hold a joint wedding instead of separate ones - it would be a novelty (and save on expenses for all families). Happily, the mid-October weddings were attended by the Queen, who was no longer the prisoner of the child's position. Although, at her husband's insistence, she was closely attended by either the midwife or one of her assistants. Gertrude and Anne had coordinated their colors as part of the novelty of the joint wedding. Gertrude wore a soft yellow and Anne a light green. Even the grooms were coordinated: both in dark brown with trimmings the color of their bride.

The King and Queen, watching from their screened balcony, were thinking along very different tracks. Henry was looking over the brides, thinking how the traditionally beautiful Gertrude was even more lovely. Mistress Boleyn had a darker, less traditional beauty enhanced by her intriguing eyes that promised much. He wondered if one of them might be interested in serving a love-starved (physically) king and was displeased with himself for allowing the weddings to go forward while his Queen was pregnant. For her part, Katherine was praying that the brides would be as happy overall as she was.

November
Each of the couples had, following the wedding, gone on a small honeymoon (Henry wanted the men back before Christmas). Henry and Gertrude spent the month at a house owned by her father, the Butlers in a manor belonging to the Suffolks. The men were happy upon return, but there was a change in the women; the latter noticed by Queen Katherine . Gertrude seemed less happy and moodier. The queen hoped it was because she was with child. Anne, on the other hand, was - if possible - more confident and at ease with herself and at court.

Okay, I got the idea of a baby doing that in utero from an actual incident with a young lieutenant's wife in Alaska. She was in bed a week, Protestant Women of the Chapel (which included all denominations - small post) cooked and cleaned for her. It was winter, it's an Arctic Test Center, the LT was training in the snow and ice and wind; in 1975 the Army was not as touchy-feely, let's send you home cuz your wife is in bed. Nope, he stayed out training.

Last edited:
Two Days in December 1519
15 December 1519

Katherine was tired of being pregnant, if she'd been honest. The only person to whom she'd confided this was Leanor, who told no one. The midwife Agnes was present, she and the Queen were sure the child was going to be early: it was not only common in Katherine's pregnancies, but this last pregnancy seemed more in a hurry than the others. Both women, along with the Duchess of Suffolk and Leanor, were sure there would be a child before Christmas. But Katherine would not be entering her confinement until the 21st - Henry was having an early Christmas feast for his wife before she entered the chamber; it was almost finished.

Lunch was served at one, after a mass held by the Queen's personal priest. After the meal, the Queen vomited it all back and her water broke. The ladies, without a confinement chamber, helped her back into her bed chamber. Anne Butler went to inform the King, while the other women (under Agnes' instructions) began undressing the Queen.

"I need my daughter and my niece," Agnes told Gertrude and the noblewoman left to find them. She had no sooner left than Katherine cried out, labor had begun.

16 December 1519

Not only the Queen, but all the other ladies present were coated with sweat; it wouldn't be long before the babe arrived. There was a pounding on the door - it had been happening occasionally, whenever the King became impatient and wanted information. Midwife Agnes, wanting a bit of break before the babe arrived, went to answer it.

"Well?" Henry demanded as she closed the door behind her and stepped into the hall to curtsey.

"Less than hour left is my call," she told him after rising. "Her majesty says a boy will be named Edward, but what if it's a girl?"

"A girl, mmm, a girl should be called - " the door opened behind Agnes. "Leanor?" said Henry. The midwife nodded, turned and almost ran into Leanor.

"Mother Agnes, Lizzie said she sees the head," the Spanish woman informed her. The two women went back inside, leaving the King behind.

"Elizabeth," he murmured to himself. "A girl should be named Elizabeth."

Inside the room, Katherine was pushing and the baby slid out.

"A boy, your majesty," Lizzie said as he began to cry. She took the child to clean it up and her cousin Dorcas went to the Queen to see about delivering the afterbirth. Dorcas remained at one end of the Queen while the Duchess of Suffolk and her sister held the Queen's shoulders. Agnes was pouring hot water into a basin as Leanor brought another cloth and wipe Katherine's face.

"Aunty, another child!" exclaimed Dorcas. "It's coming with the afterbirth of the first!" Agnes left her niece Lettice to join Dorcas. Gertrude, getting ready to step outside and tell the king of his new son, stopped and waited.

"What's its name if it's another boy, majesty?" asked Agnes.

"Charles, for the Duke of Suffolk, they're like brothers," answered Anne Butler, relieving a panting Katherine of the necessity to reply. Katherine gave a final push and the second child was out. The cord was around her neck and Agnes quickly removed it.

"Hail, Eleanor, welcome to the world," Agnes said with a smile. As soon as the cord was loosened, Eleanor had begun screaming, drowning out her startled brother. "Dorcas and Letty, take care of the afterbirths." Agnes took the child to clean it.

Gertrude went into the hall, where the King and the Dukes of Suffolk, Norfolk, and Buckingham stood at a window. "Edward and Eleanor, a son and a fair daughter, my King."

Henry was speechless. It was Charles Brandon who spoke. "Twins, and on her majesty's natal day."

15 December 1519

Katherine was tired of being pregnant, if she'd been honest. The only person to whom she'd confided this was Leanor, who told no one. The midwife Agnes was present, she and the Queen were sure the child was going to be early: it was not only common in Katherine's pregnancies, but this last pregnancy seemed more in a hurry than the others. Both women, along with the Duchess of Suffolk and Leanor, were sure there would be a child before Christmas. But Katherine would not be entering her confinement until the 21st - Henry was having an early Christmas feast for his wife before she entered the chamber; it was almost finished.

Lunch was served at one, after a mass held by the Queen's personal priest. After the meal, the Queen vomited it all back and her water broke. The ladies, without a confinement chamber, helped her back into her bed chamber. Anne Butler went to inform the King, while the other women (under Agnes' instructions) began undressing the Queen.

"I need my daughter and my niece," Agnes told Gertrude and the noblewoman left to find them. She had no sooner left than Katherine cried out, labor had begun.

16 December 1519

Not only the Queen, but all the other ladies present were coated with sweat; it wouldn't be long before the babe arrived. There was a pounding on the door - it had been happening occasionally, whenever the King became impatient and wanted information. Midwife Agnes, wanting a bit of break before the babe arrived, went to answer it.

"Well?" Henry demanded as she closed the door behind her and stepped into the hall to curtsey.

"Less than hour left is my call," she told him after rising. "Her majesty says a boy will be named Edward, but what if it's a girl?"

"A girl, mmm, a girl should be called - " the door opened behind Agnes. "Leanor?" said Henry. The midwife nodded, turned and almost ran into Leanor.

"Mother Agnes, Lizzie said she sees the head," the Spanish woman informed her. The two women went back inside, leaving the King behind.

"Elizabeth," he murmured to himself. "A girl should be named Elizabeth."

Inside the room, Katherine was pushing and the baby slid out.

"A boy, your majesty," Lizzie said as he began to cry. She took the child to clean it up and her cousin Dorcas went to the Queen to see about delivering the afterbirth. Dorcas remained at one end of the Queen while the Duchess of Suffolk and her sister held the Queen's shoulders. Agnes was pouring hot water into a basin as Leanor brought another cloth and wipe Katherine's face.

"Aunty, another child!" exclaimed Dorcas. "It's coming with the afterbirth of the first!" Agnes left her niece Lettice to join Dorcas. Gertrude, getting ready to step outside and tell the king of his new son, stopped and waited.

"What's its name if it's another boy, majesty?" asked Agnes.

"Charles, for the Duke of Suffolk, they're like brothers," answered Anne Butler, relieving a panting Katherine of the necessity to reply. Katherine gave a final push and the second child was out. The cord was around her neck and Agnes quickly removed it.

"Hail, Eleanor, welcome to the world," Agnes said with a smile. As soon as the cord was loosened, Eleanor had begun screaming, drowning out her startled brother. "Dorcas and Letty, take care of the afterbirths." Agnes took the child to clean it.

Gertrude went into the hall, where the King and the Dukes of Suffolk, Norfolk, and Buckingham stood at a window. "Edward and Eleanor, a son and a fair daughter, my King."

Henry was speechless. It was Charles Brandon who spoke. "Twins, and on her majesty's natal day."
Nice! A Boy and a Girl!