The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere...what was it really supposed to be like?

Teleology

Banned
Australia was intended to be incorporated into the Sphere by political pressure rather than invasion.
Various proposals to attack parts of Australia were to neutralise it as a threat and base of operations, not to permanently occupy.

So the Japanese were planning to vassalize rather than depopulate or enslave Australia? I'm getting the strange idea that they wanted whiteguy collaborators/cronies to be poster-boys for the Co-Prosperity Sphere's dealings with the West.

It's called Making History, and its far more simplified than Hearts of Iron, for those who just want to wade on in an conquer the world.

You thought so?
When i tried that it seemed far more complicated than hoi...not very good for it though

You thought so?
When i tried that it seemed far more complicated than hoi...not very good for it though

Really?:eek:

1) Its not real-time.
2) Politics are barely needed, except on the "international" level and even then its quite simplified.
3) Tech tree and military options ARE vastly simple and easy to understand (ie. conscript - basic inf - adv inf)
4) Economy is basically a sum game of adding or subtracting, with a look at long-term easily provided by the limitless time you have per round.
5) Almost non-existent need to stuff your armies with attachments, generals.

How is MH complicated than Doomsday?

that map is off, didn't the list mention also having alberta and western North west territories?

You're right. Forgot to add those.

Took the time to throw in the Yenisei River and 70th Meridian East proposals for dividing Asia between Japan and Germany.

Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere II.png

I showed that big map to some of my Chinese colleagues. After they got over their sheer disbelief they agreed that the Japanese were utterly crazy.

Whoa, just took a look at this thread, saw the map, and yeah, I think the Japanese then are the epitome of "overly optimistic".

:eek: to Japanese anything North America, Australia too!

The first flaw I noticed in that map was the strange, arbitrary horizontal line in India. What, can't even divide by existing regions? Then I noticed the craziness.

But India stuck in my mind. I mean, wouldn't the Aryan Nazis have a problem with their fellow Aryans being ruled by the Japanese?

And as long as they were asking for the Bahamas, they may as well have grabbed Puerto Rico.

The first flaw I noticed in that map was the strange, arbitrary horizontal line in India. What, can't even divide by existing regions? Then I noticed the craziness.

But India stuck in my mind. I mean, wouldn't the Aryan Nazis have a problem with their fellow Aryans being ruled by the Japanese?

And as long as they were asking for the Bahamas, they may as well have grabbed Puerto Rico.

Straight lines seemed to have been favoured by the Japanese planners who came up with these crazy schemes. Note that they wished to divide Asia with Germany along the 70th Meridian East which would see most of Afghanistan and large parts of Baluchistan and the Kutch region given to Germany. See this PDF sample view of what looks like a very interesting book: http://assets.cambridge.org/97805218/52548/frontmatter/9780521852548_frontmatter.pdf

And I doubt the Indians fell within the Nazi category of true Aryans. Not enough blondies I figure.

I showed that big map to some of my Chinese colleagues. After they got over their sheer disbelief they agreed that the Japanese were utterly crazy.

I'm actually very unsure of what their plans for China were. I was hoping that somebody, anybody could provide more info, but thus far only a few posters have provided any additional information to what I have already found on the internet. You wouldn't happen to have any further information would you?

:eek:

:eek::eek:

Well, at least they weren't crazy enough to try for California... though I thought I heard that somewhere too...

Many many many moons ago there was a turn-based WW2 strategy game where one Alt-Hist Battle was the Japanese Invasion of San Francisco and another one somewhere in the Middle East where the Japanese and the Germans were trying to make contact.

Did you read the first page?

Yes, I'm just expressing my complete disbelief. Seeing it on a map just amplifies the insanity of it all.

In regards to the Nazi view of India, I think what Hitler really had in mind was uncertain; he did seem to support their independence from Britain, IIRC, and I also think that the Nazis used captured Indian troops in North Africa against the British, but I don't know how much of that was down to wartime convenience.

Straight lines seemed to have been favoured by the Japanese planners who came up with these crazy schemes. Note that they wished to divide Asia with Germany along the 70th Meridian East which would see most of Afghanistan and large parts of Baluchistan and the Kutch region given to Germany. See this PDF sample view of what looks like a very interesting book: http://assets.cambridge.org/97805218/52548/frontmatter/9780521852548_frontmatter.pdf

And I doubt the Indians fell within the Nazi category of true Aryans. Not enough blondies I figure.

It does look interesting, and I'll take a look at that book, but it just struck me as a n00bish map game in the ASB forum for a moment. I thought, "Even Japanese military planners are too lazy to look up the actual borders?"

Yes, I'm just expressing my complete disbelief. Seeing it on a map just amplifies the insanity of it all.

In regards to the Nazi view of India, I think what Hitler really had in mind was uncertain; he did seem to support their independence from Britain, IIRC, and I also think that the Nazis used captured Indian troops in North Africa against the British, but I don't know how much of that was down to wartime convenience.

I think it might be part wartime convenience and part ignorance. In the book, Visions of Victory (see the link for the preview in my reply to Polish Eagle), it appears (from a couple of pages available on Amazon and Google) that Hitler was rather ignorant of what places like New Zealand were really like and I suspect he would also have been a bit ignorant of India and it's inhabitants.

It does look interesting, and I'll take a look at that book, but it just struck me as a n00bish map game in the ASB forum for a moment. I thought, "Even Japanese military planners are too lazy to look up the actual borders?"

Yeah it is weird, but then their desire to use the rather impractical 70th Meridian East seems to indicate that they didn't care or perhaps that the border was meant to be vague until they could establish what conditions were like in the area. The line running through India doesn't necessarily have to be straight, but the description did say: "All of India below a line running approximately from Portuguese Goa to the coastline of the Bay of Bengal." That line could be curvy for all we know but without more information there is no way to tell.

Hearts of Iron II isn't realistic either, just with more details and micro-management...

Am I the only one for whom Hearts of Iron was way, way, wayyyy harder to play than Victoria was? I mean, POP management and promotion seems pretty natural to me, but HoI and its millions of troops and troop types just boggles my mind.