The Forge of Weyland

Sounds good to me.

Great new chapter.

I have one little nitpick - You say the German high command is worried about the panzer divisions being “decimated”. That word literally means to be reduced by one-tenth. I think given what has already occurred they’d be worried about the panzer divisions they have left being “destroyed”.
i always thought it was one tenth left as in down 90% oh well either way not good

A thought (loving this story btw), now the French are able to start planning instead of constantly having to react, won't this mean that they'll be able to break out their Methodical Battle doctrine, especially if they can bring the artillery forwards that was needed for such a thing?

i always thought it was one tenth left as in down 90% oh well either way not good
The original was a punishment for failure or disgrace on the battlefield.
The legionaries would draw lots, and 1 in 10 would draw a bad one, and be killed by the others.

Meanings change - hasn't been used as a punishment for a while, and doesn't mean 10% any more.

A thought (loving this story btw), now the French are able to start planning instead of constantly having to react, won't this mean that they'll be able to break out their Methodical Battle doctrine, especially if they can bring the artillery forwards that was needed for such a thing?
At the moment, they might have left panic mode, but they are still in fire-fighting mode

Totally love this....

JMHO, but I think the French attacking now without clear knowledge of enemy forces locations and strengths would be unlikely. On the contrary I would thinking that the priority would be on:
1. Re-supplying all units (men and ammunition)
2. Re-setting lines and reinforcing any potential weak points or vulnerabilities
3. Debrief of all units involved in combat to assess opposing force preferred tactics (to develop counter-tactics)
4. Intelligence review of all captured equipment, especially tanks to assess armour vulnerabilities (front/side/rear) against French anti-tank weapons at various ranges (knowledge to hold fire until this ranges in any future combat)
5. Resetting the newly released fighter aircraft to best protect my ground forces (I would be hesitant to expend any bombers until I was able to generate some modicum of aerial superiority over targets identified as being of sufficient value).
6. Gathering aerial reconnaissance of opposing forces to prioritize the placement of new units arriving in reserve.

In terms of "attack", I would think the most aggressive I would get would be harassment fire by my artillery where intelligence/reconnaissance advised there was a significant density of soft-skinned vehicles (as long as I had sufficient ammunition in reserve that I could afford to use it). In particular I would likely be trying to employ my railway guns to hit German units that would have congregated on the river lines (and by now there are several) and on any main roads that were important to supply the German front lines.

Its already obvious that they need to dig in to free up some divisions for a mobile reserve. That's what saved them this time, but they need at least one more, plus the British one. Fortifying up on defensive lines allows troops to be put into these reserve formations.
They also need to be properly positioned, the speed of the german advance has scared them.
Oh, and they will be laying as many mines as they can get hold of :D

The original was a punishment for failure or disgrace on the battlefield.
The legionaries would draw lots, and 1 in 10 would draw a bad one, and be killed by the others.

Meanings change - hasn't been used as a punishment for a while, and doesn't mean 10% any more.
Modern usage of the term doesn't come close to doing justice to the shear horror of a classical decimation punishment. It's not just that 1 in 10 are brutally executed but that the other 90% have to carry it out and then live with the fact that they killed their closest friends, brothers in arms and often actual brothers.

Its already obvious that they need to dig in to free up some divisions for a mobile reserve. That's what saved them this time, but they need at least one more, plus the British one. Fortifying up on defensive lines allows troops to be put into these reserve formations.
They have their reserves, Pretelat's additional divisions and the Alpine troops along with the new colonial divisions. After Case Yellow when the 1st, 7th, 9th Armies along with the BEF and the Belgians were out of the picture, it was mostly the above units that fought in Case Red. By June 1st they were in place, even after the utter destruction and panic of OTL.

They have their reserves, Pretelat's additional divisions and the Alpine troops along with the new colonial divisions. After Case Yellow when the 1st, 7th, 9th Armies along with the BEF and the Belgians were out of the picture, it was mostly the above units that fought in Case Red. By June 1st they were in place, even after the utter destruction and panic of OTL.
A group of divisions and tanks does not make a trained counterattack reserve. It will take longer that a week or two until they are in a state the French are happy with

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Modern usage of the term doesn't come close to doing justice to the shear horror of a classical decimation punishment. It's not just that 1 in 10 are brutally executed but that the other 90% have to carry it out and then live with the fact that they killed their closest friends, brothers in arms and often actual brothers.

Often having to stone or club them to death so it was a long and messy job.

Often having to stone or club them to death so it was a long and messy job.
Is there any estimation, of how often this was used in Roman times? Brutal, but effective? Backlash seems probable, seems risky. A more British/American expression I would think they were afraid there division would be gutted.

Is there any estimation, of how often this was used in Roman times? Brutal, but effective? Backlash seems probable, seems risky. A more British/American expression I would think they were afraid there division would be gutted.
One would think that reducing your force by 10% isn't a wise thing to do.

Of course, if the French actually realised the damage they did to the panzers, a rapid, pushed attack would have had much better results!
But they don't realise, and after the scare they are being cautious. Probably over-cautious, but that's how things usually work out.

But thats reasonable. they are some days at least away from understanding what has happened, as are the Germans and ofc the French have to talk to the British to get a full picture. They have to assume that the Germans have adequate reserve. its only when its fails to show up in a few days that the have reason to change their mind and even then no reason to change their plan, which does not require an immediate assault, In a few months there will be another 30 odd Commonwealth Divisions and Tank Bdes from the Brits the Blockade will have had winter to bite, as will strategic bombing. Maybe 6-8 divisions from the colonies trained up and the metropolitan divisions fully equipped with more modern kit.

Same with the Brits.

No reason not to launch limited offensives - Meuse, Relief of Holland, Scandinavia and there is always the chance the commanders will push hard enough to actually cause a breakthrough.

For the Germans its harder. They also don't know what's happened until they aggregate information up from scattered units, some probably missing key officers and whole functions, and even then have a very incomplete view of what damage they have done to the Allies. And they are probably hopelessly optimistic on the level of damage done.