The Federal Republic of America: sibling to a stillborn USA V 2.0

For the Caribbean you say Dominica, but wasn't the Spanish territory called "Santo Domingo" at the time in conjunction with the capital city? Dominica being the island.
Hispaniola is the island; Santo Domingo is the territory.

I don't know how plausible it is that Britain would take Haiti. IIRC, it was too costly to do so due to disease but I could see it happening if Britain was determined. I think Britain taking Rio de La Plata is ASB though, at least with the OTL forces. Though it's possible they try with more forces now to get revenge on Spain for siding with a (kind of) victorious France. I think it'd be best to ask maverick about this.

And I can't see France giving up Belgium without being completely defeated like OTL, as that's part of it's "natural borders". Both Britain and France are eager for peace, France so it can rebuild in the Med and focus on N. Africa (which is impossible when Britain controls the seas), and Britain because they can't really beat Nappy on land now (Britian was willing to make peace shortly before the Peninsular War IIRC).

Also interesting, the Batavian and Italian Republics live on unless Nappy wants to put his siblings on the thrones ITTL. If he does I would see Louis in Holland as OTL and Joseph in Italy (instead of Naples/Spain) instead of Josephine's son Eugene, who I think could be adopted ITTL as Napoleon's son and heir to the throne. Louis looked out for Holland's interests and Napoleon was sympathetic to emerging Italian nationalism (he planned to give the Illyrian provinces to Italy) since he was from Corsica, so I think the two would o well. I wouldn't count on North and South Italy being the same country ITTL.

And a surviving HRE makes Germany very interesting...

This is quite a promising TL, keep up the good work!

Hispaniola is the island; Santo Domingo is the territory.

Sorry about that, in my haste I wrote the wrong name for the territory.

I don't know how plausible it is that Britain would take Haiti. IIRC, it was too costly to do so due to disease but I could see it happening if Britain was determined. I think Britain taking Rio de La Plata is ASB though, at least with the OTL forces. Though it's possible they try with more forces now to get revenge on Spain for siding with a (kind of) victorious France. I think it'd be best to ask maverick about this.

Rio de La Plata wasn't taken with OTL forces, with a bigger British presence in the new world more resourses were relegated to aquisition of enemy colonies especially the riches of the region.

And I can't see France giving up Belgium without being completely defeated like OTL, as that's part of it's "natural borders". Both Britain and France are eager for peace, France so it can rebuild in the Med and focus on N. Africa (which is impossible when Britain controls the seas), and Britain because they can't really beat Nappy on land now (Britian was willing to make peace shortly before the Peninsular War IIRC).

So that brings me to another question, with Belgium gone would Britain try and get the Electorate of Brunswick-Lüneburg/Hanover to take its place, increasing Hanover's size in the upcoming congress, giving it more port access, and then industrialising as they did with Belgium?

Also interesting, the Batavian and Italian Republics live on unless Nappy wants to put his siblings on the thrones ITTL. If he does I would see Louis in Holland as OTL and Joseph in Italy (instead of Naples/Spain) instead of Josephine's son Eugene, who I think could be adopted ITTL as Napoleon's son and heir to the throne. Louis looked out for Holland's interests and Napoleon was sympathetic to emerging Italian nationalism (he planned to give the Illyrian provinces to Italy) since he was from Corsica, so I think the two would o well. I wouldn't count on North and South Italy being the same country ITTL.

I plan on having Louis be King of Holland as a result of the Treaty. Thanks for the advice on the other Bonapartes, that shall prove most helpful.

And a surviving HRE makes Germany very interesting...
This is quite a promising TL, keep up the good work!

As promised the German Question shall be quite interesting ITTL. Prussia is still in quite god shape, but isn't exactly the German unifying state that it was ITTL especially with Austria (and Russia) being the state that saved the Germans from the French.

I imagine that Britain will build up Hannover so that it can be a deterrent to anyone who thinks Britain is going to stay quiet.

Still I imagine that Britain is in top 5 if not top 3 of biggest powers even if they didn't completely win.

Sorry about that, in my haste I wrote the wrong name for the territory.
Ah, you're only human.

Rio de La Plata wasn't taken with OTL forces, with a bigger British presence in the new world more resourses were relegated to aquisition of enemy colonies especially the riches of the region.

Ah, that's fine then.

So that brings me to another question, with Belgium gone would Britain try and get the Electorate of Brunswick-Lüneburg/Hanover to take its place, increasing Hanover's size in the upcoming congress, giving it more port access, and then industrialising as they did with Belgium?

I could see this. This would be interesting as Britain would probably be more involved in German affairs than IOTL.

I plan on having Louis be King of Holland as a result of the Treaty. Thanks for the advice on the other Bonapartes, that shall prove most helpful.

Anytime ;)

What's going to happen to Francisco_de_Miranda, who revolted in Venezuela with (half-assed) British help. Does he succeed ITTL since Britain is concentrating more on Spanish America? I could see Venezuela becoming a British puppet that is later integrated into the Dominion of Ecuador.

What's going to happen to Francisco_de_Miranda, who revolted in Venezuela with (half-assed) British help. Does he succeed ITTL since Britain is concentrating more on Spanish America? I could see Venezuela becoming a British puppet that is later integrated into the Dominion of Ecuador.

ITTL Francisco's invasion and revolt hasn't taken place yet and it won't be as half assed as OTL. You pretty much guessed the overview of the Dominion of Ecuador, though a few things are left in store for the expansion of British South America.

I imagine that Britain will build up Hannover so that it can be a deterrent to anyone who thinks Britain is going to stay quiet.

Still I imagine that Britain is in top 5 if not top 3 of biggest powers even if they didn't completely win.

Britain is most definitely in the top 5 and depending on how you rank them probably in the top 3.

If Britain does retain Hanover and invests so much in it, that will be quite the Butterfly. The Germanies look to be going in three directions. HRE dominated by the Habsburgs. Hanover in personal Union with Britain and likely a point of conrtention between the two empires. Finally Prussia as it own side in the machinations of empires.

Chapter 4: I hear in my Mind all these Words

--

Part IV: Humpty Dumpty

--

The Congress of Vienna

--

While a secretly British assisted revolution was being planned to overthrow Spanish rule in New Granada the Great Powers met in Vienna as equals settling the Great French War that had consumed the globe for so many years. Though so much seemed to be the same so much had changed. The Holy Roman Empire had changed so much, the Austrian army in southern Germany acted no longer as an army of liberation but as occupiers for the new hereditary Austrian Empire; revolutionaries in Europe and the Americas had shaken the established balances; the British Empires position as supreme power of the waves had been cemented. The Congress of Vienna was an attempt by the Great powers of the time to restore a semblance of the old order through the creation of a new one. At the Congress the maps of Europe were redrawn as states were merged while others were broken apart. For Britain, the nation of shop keeper as Napoleon called them, the major desire was stable port that would not be under the sway of any of the other Great Powers. Britain would not get an independent Netherlands as it had hoped, the Batavian Republic instead becoming the Kingdom of the Netherlands which would be ruled by Napoleons brother Louis. Without an independent Netherlands Pitt’s government focused on securing a larger Hanover with greater access to the sea as well and strengthened against any future French aggression. To build up the new Kingdom of Hanover the Free City of Lübeck, the Duchy of Oldenburg, the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the Free City of Frankfurt, Holstein-Glückstadt, and Prussia Wilhelmshaven were added to it. King George now held a sway over a rather sizable portion of Northern Germany.

--

French Talleyrand and Austrian Klemens von Metternich acted as the two most influential people throughout the Congress matching wit while trying to bring all the parties to peace as well as strengthening their respective countries positions. In November of 1806 war nearly broke out once again between Russia and Austria over the creation of a new Polish state. Alexander I of Russia desired to see a new Polish state created from Russian, Prussian, and Austrian land. The Prussians would not see this unless they were allowed to gobble up Saxony and several other German states; the Habsburgs would not do this unless they were allowed to unify most of Southern Germany under their new Austrian empire. For Britain a fully unified southern Germany, while acting as a counter weight to France, would present too great of a threat to Hanover. With this, Talleyrand signed a secret treaty with Britain agreeing to go to war, if necessary, to prevent the plan from being enacted. The plan never reached fruition and Europe was spared another war.

--

Viva Gran Colombia

--

In December 1806 as the congress of finally nearing an end Francisco de Miranda ignited a revolution in the Viceroyalty of New Grenada. Secretly supplied to great extent by the British the revolution met with success in the beginning, even if the revolutionaries weren’t all united under the same banner. With Spain’s naval capabilities to resupply the troops fighting Colombian revolutionaries virtually destroyed and with its rather lack luster colonial standing forces the revolutionaries had a decent chance of being successful. With the present circumstances Britain sought to exploit the situation by declaring recognition of Gran Colombia and threatening Spain with further invasions of Spain’s colonial possessions in the New World, having already secured a hold on the recourses rich Viceroyalty of Rio de la Plata. In what would be the shortest of all of the Wars for Independence that Spain would soon be fighting in the new world, Gran Colombia achieved independence from Spain as a last minute addition to the Congress of Vienna.

Miranda’s Gran Colombia would never stay together, just a few years later it would fall into civil war between Monarchists and Republicans.

--

Last edited:
and the map.

1800%20FRA%20rivers.png

When did Britain conquer more of Spanish South America.

Also I see you promoted Hanover. What did the Prussians get in exchange for Wilhelmshaven?

Where are the Pretenders like Louis XVIII taking refuge?

When did Britain conquer more of Spanish South America.

Also I see you promoted Hanover. What did the Prussians get in exchange for Wilhelmshaven?

Where are the Pretenders like Louis XVIII taking refuge?

They conquered the Rio de La Plata and got the Viceroyalty since the most important regions were taken.

Two new city-states in southern Germany as well as retaining what those that they already had in southern Germany.

Louis is living in Jelgava the moment.

Been reading this for a while now, I'm liking it a lot :) Just a couple of questions, don't answer if they give away big spoilers though...

• Is there slavery in Hispaniola? If so surely Haiti will revolt soon? If not will Britain manage to keep a hold on the island or will they still rebel soon?
  • What's the Americans view over Britain suddenly dominating the Caribbean?
  • What's going to happen in Sweden? Who'll be elected King when it comes to it?

Been reading this for a while now, I'm liking it a lot :) Just a couple of questions, don't answer if they give away big spoilers though...

• Is there slavery in Hispaniola? If so surely Haiti will revolt soon? If not will Britain manage to keep a hold on the island or will they still rebel soon?
I can't really mke a guess on the first one with the little data we have. I could see the issue going either way.

I imagine the Americans are quite upset about the Caribbean being Union Jacked. Though there is very little they can do about it aside from trying to invade BNA. The most likelt result will be a call for increased militancy as a besiegement mentality sets in. The navy in particular I think will gain new attention.

For Sweden I am guessing a member of the Prussian royal family. Sweden still has Finlnd so that means Russia is very scray to them. The Habsburgs are the big Catholic Dynasty so thats a no, and the Bonapartes would mean antagonizing Vienna and Petersburg. So i would guess a Hohenzollern candidate to cement an alliance of neutrality between the two kingdoms.

For Sweden I am guessing a member of the Prussian royal family. Sweden still has Finlnd so that means Russia is very scray to them. The Habsburgs are the big Catholic Dynasty so thats a no, and the Bonapartes would mean antagonizing Vienna and Petersburg. So i would guess a Hohenzollern candidate to cement an alliance of neutrality between the two kingdoms.
That'll be interesting. I wonder who would be picked, I mean if it were the second son of Frederick William III (William) and his first son Frederick William IV still doesn't have children then we'd see an odd occasion of a Sweden-Prussian Personal Union...

1. Slavery no longer exists on the island, but Haiti and the island itself will still have a chaotic future ahead of it even with British rule.

2. The Americans are not fond of this at all, but at the moment there is little they can do to change that.

3. I was under the impression that the Coup would be butterflied away because there is no lose of Finland and so Crown Prince Gustav of Sweden would become King after his father died, unless the Coup still occurred for some reason that I am not yet aware of. I wasn't quite sure whether his father's incompetence would be enough to ferment the coup without the addition of the loss of Finland. If there is still a strong reason for it to happen then I certainly like the idea of a Prussian Swedish personal union, though I'll have to varify that the coup still had a good chance of occuring.

For the British in Rio de la Plata, which is more likely?

1. The maintenance of the region as a colony which would likely face rebellions just as what happened to the Spanish.

2. The creation of a British puppet state of Rio de la Plata with a British monopoly on the resources as well British colonists moving to Patagonia.

For the British in Rio de la Plata, which is more likely?

1. The maintenance of the region as a colony which would likely face rebellions just as what happened to the Spanish.

2. The creation of a British puppet state of Rio de la Plata with a British monopoly on the resources as well British colonists moving to Patagonia.

Which would be more profitable?

The second one was pretty much OTL at the start, except without British colonists. It's more likely, and I would expect the Brits to assimilate, or there is official bilingualism. But why would the British want to colonize the place?

The second one was pretty much OTL at the start, except without British colonists. It's more likely, and I would expect the Brits to assimilate, or there is official bilingualism. But why would the British want to colonize the place?

British companies will move into control the resources bringing in British investments and colonists into Rio de la Plata. As for Patagonia, the preexisting British Protectorate of Rio de la Plata will have already drawn attention to the region and then Gregor MacGregor will help out a bit.

Chapter 5: Run for your Children

--

Part I: The Third American Revolution

--

Tecumseh’s Raid

--

By 1807 Aaron Burr had virtually cemented his control over the Congress of Confederation as well as bankers and other wealthy land owners and was preparing to hold crooked elections which would undoubtedly cement his hold on the Confederacy. For General Jackson what has happening was an abomination and prevention of the revolution that he and so many others had fought for. Burr and a hand full of elitists would dominate the country like an oligarchy. Short of a military coup, which Jackson was not entirely sure he had enough popular support to accomplish the task, there seemed to be no way to stop Burr’s consolidation of power; then disaster struck for Burr.

In March, Indian raiders, from British Ohio, began attacking a number of instillations in Kentucky and Virginia, even driving as far south as Tennessee. In one incident forty-three Americans were massacred by the raiders. For Burr it was a debacle. As Minister of Foreign Affairs, he had signed a treaty with Britain that should have ceased the incursions by the Indians, but instead of ceasing they continued and had escalated since the end of the Great French War. Burr’s failure fermented discontent and aloud political rivals amongst the Democrats to attack him and his policies cutting at his power and shaking his power base. Burr was powerless to stop the attacks even after trying to get the New Englanders and the British to do something about the issue. The common man was outraged over the inaction, the war hawks who had begun to fall into obscurity were returning into the fray, calling for troops to be sent into British Ohio and crush the Indian raiders. It is at this point that General Jackson, now stationed with his troops in Tennessee, formulated a plan. Jackson disobeyed orders directing him and his troops to maintain their positions in Tennessee and instead his troops, along with the Tennessee militia marched through Kentucky and into British Ohio. While in Ohio, Jackson engaged the leader of the raiders as close to the Kentucky border as he could. Jackson baited Tecumseh’s forces luring them out with a smaller force, which he lead, and then having the rest of his troops come at the Indians from the other three sides, essentially boxing in the Indians and massacring them. Later dramatic portrayals would show Jackson personally killing Tecumseh, but the Shawnee Chief was in fact struck dead by a musket ball fired not by an American, but in the confusion by another Shawnee. Jackson took Tecumseh’s body as well as the bodies of several other Shawnee with him on the next stage of his journey, dragging the bodies of the others for a half a mile into Kentucky. Jackson and his troop, both regular and militia, set off for Annapolis.

--

Abolition of the First Republic
--

Upon learning of the raid and of Jackson’s intentions of marching on the capital Burr attempted to send troops to apprehend the rouge general, but most officers simply refused to take action against Jackson. Jackson’s trek across the nation took him just under two months to complete, his original group having been enlarged by militia troops who wished to serve under the ‘Rogue General’. Burr had lost all control of the military, most military men no longer regarding his government as legitimate. Before Jackson even arrived in the city the civilian population and the local military contingent stormed the capital building and arrested the majority of the Congress of Confederation; the Third American Revolution had begun. Across the CAS Burrists were apprehended by the military, if they were lucky, and placed on trial for their crimes against the Republic. Upon Jackson’s arrival Burr was placed on trial for high crimes against the Republic. In an ironic twist it was at this time that General Jackson abolished the Congress of Confederation and with it the First Republic. Burr’s trial was short and swift, he was proclaimed guilty of four counts of treason, six counts of murder, thirty-seven counts of financial manipulation, and twenty-five counts of bribery. He was sentenced to death. Before his head was severed from his body by a guillotine, Burr was allowed to make a final speech before his death. In it he detailed that he was not the traitor to the principals of the Republic that it was in fact Jackson and those who ‘blindly’ followed him.

The Third Revolution drew the attention of the British government, not just because Tecumseh was killed on British land, which they could not actually prove, but because the violence of the situation threatened to spill over into British North America. For the French Emperor the situation in the west looked ideal for him to regain his lost American ally. The British were only too aware of Jackson’s hatred for them, but were quite unsure whether he would act on his hatred and invade. Jackson, though he despised the British, knew better than to start a war with them now that they held absolute dominance over the waves. Instead of looking for a fight he simply looked for political recognition. Elements amongst the Tories were outraged about the entire episode and wanted war over the alleged incursion onto British soil, but Pit and the British government did no such thing, choosing to recognize Jackson’s new state and his leadership over it. The Third Revolution was over; Jackson was now the supreme dictator of the CAS. With his power now cemented Jackson looked to reform the CAS and reshape it so that it would be a republic of the common man one day.

General Andrew Jackson, Roger B. Taney, Henry Lee III, Duncan McArthur, James Madison, William Henry Harrison, Henry Dearborn, Alexander J. Dallas, and James McHenry would become the most well known of the Founding Fathers of the Second Republic, the Federal Republic of America. The new Federal Republic would consist of two branches the Executive-Judicial and the Legislative. The Legislature would itself be divided into two branches; the Senate in which every state would be represented equally with three state representatives, and the House of Representatives which would represent the states based on populous, the greater the populous the greater the seats in the House it will have. Military officers could hold seats in either branch of the Legislature as long as they were lawfully elected like any other figure member. The Executive-Judicial Branch would be headed by the President-Director who would be elected by the Senate to the position which he would maintain until he either stepped down or passed away. It was against the Constitution for a son, brother, or cousin of the previous President-Director to be elected to the position.

On December 3rd 1809 the Federal Republic of America held its first Congressional elections. The next January General Andrew Jackson was elected President-Director by the Senate, a position he would hold until 1845.

--
OCC: Comments? Questions?

Last edited: