The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend - An Alt Interwar TL

THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS MY FRIEND
Introductory

MTE5NTU2MzE2MzExMjkxNDAz.jpg

Vice President Thomas R. Marshall as of October 7th, 1919.

Vice President Marshall sat at his prescribed desk in the Vice President's office, trying to focus on the papers given to him by Colonel House in lieu of an ailing President Wilson. However, his day dreamy mind and the light of the chandelier that had been placed there during the Roosevelt administration had distracted him, and again he found his mind drifting off to mysteries unanswered...

Why hadn't the President spoken to him recently? Or, a better question, why hadn't his closest friends (which he had thought he was one of) let Marshall at least see his degree of health?

These questions continued to stoke the animosity in Marshall's heart, as he had remained true to his President, attempting to ward off pressure to usurp the Presidency by the Secretary of State and others hoping to pass Wilson's precious peace bill without the serious opposition it currently faced, yet he still remained an outsider from the group catering to the President's daily needs during the times of severe sickness.

Marshall yawned, waved away this dangerously hostile thought from his consciousness, and lazily attempted to bring his focus once more to the papers on his desk. It was night, and the light of the chandelier seemed to grow brighter brighter as time seemed to be getting slower and slower. Finally, his vision blurred and darkness overcame his sight.

A sudden burst through the door woke up Marshall, and he quickly shook his head in an attempt to stop the shaky picture that his eyes provided him.

"Who-?", Marshall attempted to inquire, but was quickly cut off with a voice that the Vice President would recognize anywhere:

"It's Wilson, Mr. Vice President. He's dead.", Lansing stated, his own emotions in half disbelief and a disturbing feeling of gratefulness. "Died two hours ago in his bed. The physician said it was a major stroke that killed the man. Poor Wilson. Never did want to admit he was seriously ill."

Marshall felt a shock surround his body as a sort of aura: the issue that had most beleaguered him through the recent months was now solved in that Marshall must assume the Presidency.

He stood up, put on his glasses that had been sitting on the desk before him, and uttered only a few words.

"Come, Lansing. We must decide how to present this to the public."

With a breath, Lansing looked Marshall dead in the eye and nodded.

"Of course, Mr. President."

Mr. Wilson was buried, a day of mourning was declared, and a day later, Thomas Riley Marshall is inaugurated President of the United States the next day, on October 8th, the year of our lord 1919.

Last edited:
An interesting start, though if memory serves they would want to get him sworn in as quickly as possible, not the better part of a week after Wilson's death.

Calvin Coolidge is a good example. When the President died, he was visiting his family home. When the news came by messenger, his father, a justice of the peace, swore him in on the family Bible by the light of a kerosene lamp.

He was sworn in a second time in public the very next day by the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

This is interesting. If Marshall accepts a compromise regarding the LoN, he may win election.
There are some great difficulties in negotiating the treaty through the senate. If I understand the situation correctly one of the key issues were not American isolationism and/or sovereignty but having a republican issue to attack the democrats with. The divisions between the progressive and moderate/conservative wing, and the generally disorganized nature of the republican party made it further difficult. I haven't read it through, but Populist Nationalism - Republican insurgency and American Foreign Policy Making, 1918-1925, stresses Borah's ability to threaten Lodge with a republican insurgency, and thereby maneuvering Lodge against the League.

The second problem is that at this date the peace with Germany is signed, but not ratified. As the German peace created LoN, a problem arises if Marshall wants to negotiate with Senate republicans. How many changes can he make, while still remaining committed to the Entente. This convoluted negotiations would be very hard to perform, especially for Marshall (who, it seems, had no interest whatsoever in the post of President). Passing the treaty through the senate is a mighty hard endeavor, especially if you have to keep France and UK happy at the same time. I see no reason for a democratic victory in the 1920 election, less of a landslide, perhaps, but no victory.

I agree. Post-war, people wanted change, and that included a change in leadership. It's a frequent occurrence in democratic systems. People wanted less spending and lower taxes, a return to antebellum conditions, and that is what the Republicans were offering with the Harding/Coolidge ticket.

An interesting start, though if memory serves they would want to get him sworn in as quickly as possible, not the better part of a week after Wilson's death.

Calvin Coolidge is a good example. When the President died, he was visiting his family home. When the news came by messenger, his father, a justice of the peace, swore him in on the family Bible by the light of a kerosene lamp.

He was sworn in a second time in public the very next day by the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

I just took the liberty of thinking that with Marshall's cautious mood towards succeeding Wilson, he wouldn't want to do so immediately after his death.

There are some great difficulties in negotiating the treaty through the senate. If I understand the situation correctly one of the key issues were not American isolationism and/or sovereignty but having a republican issue to attack the democrats with. The divisions between the progressive and moderate/conservative wing, and the generally disorganized nature of the republican party made it further difficult. I haven't read it through, but Populist Nationalism - Republican insurgency and American Foreign Policy Making, 1918-1925, stresses Borah's ability to threaten Lodge with a republican insurgency, and thereby maneuvering Lodge against the League.

The second problem is that at this date the peace with Germany is signed, but not ratified. As the German peace created LoN, a problem arises if Marshall wants to negotiate with Senate republicans. How many changes can he make, while still remaining committed to the Entente. This convoluted negotiations would be very hard to perform, especially for Marshall (who, it seems, had no interest whatsoever in the post of President). Passing the treaty through the senate is a mighty hard endeavor, especially if you have to keep France and UK happy at the same time. I see no reason for a democratic victory in the 1920 election, less of a landslide, perhaps, but no victory.

I agree. Post-war, people wanted change, and that included a change in leadership. It's a frequent occurrence in democratic systems. People wanted less spending and lower taxes, a return to antebellum conditions, and that is what the Republicans were offering with the Harding/Coolidge ticket.

Oh, I don't expect re-election. I know Marshall will pass a moderated LoN through Senate because most Republicans weren't irreconcilable, rather, they would agree to support it as long as certain modifications were made (Ex. Article X). David Lloyd George did state he "expected there would be some need for compromise", and I expect Marshall would take the more comprositional path.

After all, anything that upsets the Americans can be modified in the LoN once it is ratified, which is a position that Marshall would be inclined to take in order to soothe doubts about the functionality of the treaty.

But overall, life will continue pretty much as OTL, as the bigger, second POD doesn't come until 1920...

I just took the liberty of thinking that with Marshall's cautious mood towards succeeding Wilson, he wouldn't want to do so immediately after his death.

There is more at play here than his feelings on the issue. There is a government without a leader, and party officials will not let him leave it that way for very long. Even if only as a caretaker, he must begin his tenure as President as swiftly as possible.

Last edited:
There is more at play here than his feelings on the issue. There is a government without a leader, and party officials will not let him leave it that way for very long. Even if only as a caretaker, he must begin his tenure as President as swiftly as possible.

Okay, I'll change it to, let's say, the 8th. Thank you for the feedback!

I sort of what the US to stay out of the LoN. Or only member on paper and does nothing.

With the leadership in 1921 being changed, it will essentially be just the latter.​