The Diary of Harry Tudor: Prince of Wales

24th of October, 1546: I spent today my time in the carriage as we were taken through a series of villages that gave us notice that they were infected with some disease. We tried to move as fast a possible, but were hindered when a group of angry peasants attacked one of our food carts that was near the back. When I saw that some were gaunt and thin I threw a loaf of bread that had been put in my carriage in case I had gotten hungry to the crowd and watched as a small woman ran into a house with it, not sharing as a had hoped the group nearest to me would.

After that we drew the curtains spent the day practicing speaking Latin and French, then we did some verbal philosophy, asking what was the nature of the fly in relation to the lion and other meaningless questions. I hate philosophy.

After the disaster that today was, I heard Lord Arundel tell someone that they would have to skip this area and go more quickly to Ludlow. I am glad; because that means that I can stay in the palace for all of Christmas.

27th of October, 1546: We received a letter bundle today, from court. One was from Elizabeth, who sent me details as to mama’s funeral, which caused me to cry. Also, she sent me news that Father has sent Lady Howard out to a country manor for some reason, and the Lord and Lady Fitzroy have suffered the loss of sweet little Bridget soon after I left, so they will be arriving to Ludlow after Christmas to get away from the court with the memories of their daughter.

Father sent me one, detailing that he is glad that I have come through my illness healthy and alive and that when we arrive at Ludlow I must have a week of rest before I begin to govern. He also says that I may write back and ask for anything necessary to make Ludlow comfortable when I get there, as the castle hasn’t been used in over two decades. I wonder who lived here then.

Another letter was from Aunt Margaret, with a bunch of gossip that she thought would interest me (apparently, Father has allowed Lady Brandon to take her children to the country now that the royal children as all leaving. I really don’t care though.) and also some news that is kind of shocking. In mama’s will, she supposedly left everything of major value to Uncle George, only giving her title of Marquess of Pembroke to Elizabeth and her portrait collection to Edward. I am to get nothing. Well, I get the kingdom when Father dies, but mama left me (along with Margaret, George and Cecily) nothing in her will.

I think that I will go to sleep now. I need time to think over all his information, so that I can keep my mind judicious and free of bias so that I may be a kind and just ruler one day (this is something that Mister Yorker, one of the scholars at the court told me was important).

A list of Henry VIII's acknowledged, living children (and their mothers):

1- Mary Tudor (1516) *Catherine of Aragon

2- Henry Fitzroy (1519) *Elizabeth Blount

3- Elizabeth Tudor (1533) *Anne Boleyn

4- Henry Tudor (1536) *Anne Boleyn

5- Margaret Tudor (1538) *Anne Boleyn

6- Humphrey Fitzroy (1538) *Dorothy Rickard

7- Alyce Fitzroy (1538) *Dorothy Rickard

8- Edward Tudor (1540) *Anne Boleyn

9- Owen Fitzroy (1541) *Elizabeth Tailboys

10- George Tudor (1543) *Anne Boleyn

11- Cecily Tudor (1543) *Anne Boleyn

12- John Fitzroy (1545) *Katherine Howard (sister to Lady Fitzroy)

28th of October, 1546: Today, we met the legendary Lady Dorothy Rickard. So that her story doesn’t get lost, I will write it down; as it is one of the most interesting I have ever heard. So, from what I know she came to court when I was quite young, as a new courtier. It was around the time that my mama almost died giving birth to a dead little boy. While mama was recovering, Father fell in love with Lady Rickard, who fell equally in love and told the entire court that when mama died she would be his new Queen. This didn’t happen.

After mama was fully recovered, she attempted to have Lady Rickard sent away as she had with Lady Clinton (my brother the Lord Fitzroy’s mama) last year. But Father refused and, when mama gave birth to Margaret, Lady Rickard became pregnant with the infamous Lord Humphrey and Lady Alyce, the monster children. When mama found out she became very angry and brought me and Elizabeth to Father to show him what he was risking losing.

But, as I stated before, Lady Rickard didn’t give birth to any normal children. She gave birth to monster children. While they are nice enough in temper (I have met them several times when we go on progress Father makes me and Elizabeth entertain them) they are hideous in appearance. Lord Humphrey, who is the elder, has an obvious humped back, ugly grey eyes and a malformed lip. Lady Alyce is not quite as deformed, with a club foot and mismatched eyes. But both are known as the monster children and Father will not see them as he does the rest of his children.

After the birth of these children, Father was surprised when mama gave birth to Margaret then to Anne in the span of one year, though Anne was always tiny and died very young. So Father sent Lady Dorothy away, but first gave her enough money to support herself.

When we met her, she came up and addressed us. She was quite beautiful, with big grey eyes that were like the attractive version of her son’s and long blonde hair. But what was amazing was that she only smiled once, and that was when I offered to help her walk and she said:

“Yet another with the Howard charm. Not even diluted by the Tudor blood. It’s a wonder why it took that family so long to get one of their own on the throne.”

But she was not alone, she had her husband. Lord Rickard, who was made a baron right before the birth of the monster children, is a man who scurries, like a rat. He looks like the sun setting; big and red. But he was also very quiet. I tried to talk to him but he could barely get the customary “Your Highness” out before stuttering like a fool. When he did though, Lady Dorothy gave him an angry look and clenched her fist. I wonder why she was so angry.

Well, after the visit she promised to visit Ludlow when she could, as she always loved the court before and wished to be of any help she could be. Lord Arundel murmured something to her at that point and we left.
I must go to sleep, but when I awaken I will ask Lord Arundel if he knows why Lord Rickard seemed so afraid of his wife. It doesn’t seem right.

I have to post to say that I really enjoyed that last tidbit. Seeing an AU through a child's eyes is absolutely fascinating, particularly when it comes to Harry's point of view concerning his father's former mistress.

I have to post to say that I really enjoyed that last tidbit. Seeing an AU through a child's eyes is absolutely fascinating, particularly when it comes to Harry's point of view concerning his father's former mistress.

Thank You! I tried to make him seem as innocent as possible. It was kinda hard as I tried to hint at several things in this post. One thing is that Henry VIII has had many different mistresses and bastard children over the past ten years. I thought that this would be more realistic as in the brief marriage in OTL Henry VIII had at least two mistresses in three years. Also, Lady Rickard is abusive to her husband, because in her mind he is a big reason why Henry VIII didn't go to marry her. Is also the fact that there is a very little animostity between Lord Arundel and Lady Rickard.

30th of October, 1546: I was not well yesterday, so I could not write. But today, I am well so I will. I asked Lord Arundel about the previous event, and he told me that a woman who acts as a man is not to be trusted. I didn’t quite understand, but I decided that the best course was to agree and move on, if not for the man’s sake then to allow me to process everything.

Other than that, another round of letters has found us. It is frustrating that the letters cannot just be here when sent, for this was filled with older news than the previous ones. It didn’t have much; just that Lady Howard (not the one that fought with Mary but Lady Fitzroy’s sister) has suffered the loss of baby John, Father’s youngest bastard. I liked baby John, for he had a cute laugh and was learning speak.

Other than that, apparently Lady Mary has been asked to marry the recently widowed Viscount of Bindon, Thomas Howard. He is very nice and I like his daughter Grace a lot, as she is extremely witty and is nearly the same age as me. I hope that he can marry her and they can have happiness, as I want Lady Mary to be happy.

Just a post to agree with the other readers: this is still a most interesting and enjoyable story. Good plot and good pov.

Just a post to agree with the other readers: this is still a most interesting and enjoyable story. Good plot and good pov.

Thanks for the support! I'm really happy with how everyone is enjoying this timeline and hope I can keep it up :)

31st of October, 1546: Today we had to stop as one of the horses had broken his leg. Such an unlucky beast. But because of this, we had to stop and Lord Arundel had me do Latin work.

3rd of November, 1546: Today we finally reached Ludlow, to my eternal joy. The castle was surrounded by many people who wished to meet me. There was much joy and I was gifted numerous small gifts like flowers, small cakes and in one case a pretty carved figure of a hare riding a lion, which Lord Arundel had burned and told me that it was very rude. I don’t get it.
Many of the ladies who greeted me wore the house hats that Lady Brandon favours and one wore one so large and long that I could barely see her shoulders. The men all wore either the silliest of new fashions or old yet nice looking clothes.

We made it into the castle after about two hours of talking to those who came to greet us, and I was given an hour to adjust to my rooms and re-dress in appropriate wear before we had to the welcoming feast. This was magnificent, and a special treat was seen when Lady Mathews sang. She is the wife of the recently knighted Sir Arthur Mathews, who personally protected mama when the Great Rebellion almost caught mama when she was leaving Hatfield where Elizabeth and I were living to stay by Father’s side. She sounds like the muse of music, all sweet notes and beauteous melodies.

Finally, there was a dance, where I lead with Lady Isabel Boleyn, the only child of my deceased uncle Lord George and his widow, the Lady Boleyn of Hever, who lost her second baby and husband to the Sweat, which killed quite a few poor souls. She turned nine in late July.
I hope that tomorrow is as fun as today has been.

6th of November, 1546: Today I was visited by a priest by the name of Peter Lander. He had a large loaf of bread that looked strangely orange. He tried to give it to me directly but the food tester had to be brought in.

He choked on the food and died.

It was very sudden and another man had to be brought in to try the food, as we were not sure if it was the food or the man who was to blame for the death. But when the second man started convulsing there was no doubt that this was not a safe food.

The man was arrested and sent in a carriage t the capital, where he would be at the mercy of my father and lord. I was quite shocked by the experience and have not left my room since that morning event. I want to have a man about me closely at every moment from now on.

I no longer feel safe.

I'm enjoying this AU very much but I wanted I have a few questions.

Who is Lady Howard and Lady Brandon? What are their maiden names and what are the names of their husbands?

I'm enjoying this AU very much but I wanted I have a few questions.

Who is Lady Howard and Lady Brandon? What are their maiden names and what are the names of their husbands?

Lady Howard is Lady Catherine Howard, OTL Queen of England. She is currently unmarried in this timeline.

Lady Brandon is Lady Jane Brandon, previously Lady Jane Seymour, OTL Queen of England. She is currently married to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.

10th of November, 1546: I finally came out of my room. Lord Arundel is leaving today and he begged me to see him off. He had to go back as his newest assignment is to leave for France to continue the negotiations for Elizabeth’s marriage to Charles: Duke of Burgundy.

I am now back in my room. I don’t think that I’ll come out again for a bit.

BTW guys, this timeline is on hold until my laptop is fixed. It has all my work for this timeline on it and I can't really continue without that. Thanks for your understanding.