The Cornette Call: A Pro Wrestling Timeline

Honestly with Hogan out it'd make Vince look pretty prescient given that ITTL Hogan basically turned out to be a one-note has been who never really was able to fit in the new dynamic wrestling was in. ITTL Hogan really did nothing much for WCW beyond getting a few big numbers really early on then pissing away all that goodwill with a bunch of cartoon feuds staring all his buddies. With this turn of events, Vince looks totally vindicated in dumping him and his buddies for the New Generation, though many of those guys jumped ship that's the business.

Honestly with Hogan out it'd make Vince look pretty prescient given that ITTL Hogan basically turned out to be a one-note has been who never really was able to fit in the new dynamic wrestling was in. ITTL Hogan really did nothing much for WCW beyond getting a few big numbers really early on then pissing away all that goodwill with a bunch of cartoon feuds staring all his buddies. With this turn of events, Vince looks totally vindicated in dumping him and his buddies for the New Generation, though many of those guys jumped ship that's the business.

Depends on how it's done. By 1996, even Hogan realised his act wasn't working IOTL and that made him a lot more open to be Heel. Imagine it happening here, where he does return to the WWF, but as Vince's Corporate Champion.

And I hate to imagine what WCW's backstage is like at the moment ITTL. Michaels is going to be even worse than he was before as Hall will be there to play to his demons and no one outside the Outsiders is going to like him at all. Considering his issues and personality, something really unpleasant is going to happen soon and Bish being Bish, he isn't going to be able to stop it.

Some good booking again so far, although aren't the ECW wrestlers being put to one side? Haven't seen much of the Dudley Boyz since they won the titles.

That tends to happen, Hogan, when the people against you in WCW can politick better than you (say what you will about Shawn's...personal demons)...

As for Shawn Michaels' problems, that is going to end horribly if nobody stops it...

That tends to happen, Hogan, when the people against you in WCW can politick better than you (say what you will about Shawn's...personal demons)...

As for Shawn Michaels' problems, that is going to end horribly if nobody stops it...

Eh, I'd say Hogan was a much better at politicking than Michaels, the SummerSlam matched showed that. Plus, say what you will about Hogan, but he avoided a lot of the outright petty dickery that Michaels did at his time at the top. Hell, Hogan was outright cordial in comparison. Worst I've heard about him is when he acted standoffish to Jericho and threatened to knock some sense into Dennis Rodman.

Depends on how it's done. By 1996, even Hogan realised his act wasn't working IOTL and that made him a lot more open to be Heel. Imagine it happening here, where he does return to the WWF, but as Vince's Corporate Champion.

And I hate to imagine what WCW's backstage is like at the moment ITTL. Michaels is going to be even worse than he was before as Hall will be there to play to his demons and no one outside the Outsiders is going to like him at all. Considering his issues and personality, something really unpleasant is going to happen soon and Bish being Bish, he isn't going to be able to stop it.

Some good booking again so far, although aren't the ECW wrestlers being put to one side? Haven't seen much of the Dudley Boyz since they won the titles.

The Dudleys didn't win the WWF tag titles. The SummerSlam matches were exhibition matches with no titles on the line and that was the end of the cross-promotion with ECW. The Dudleyz are back in ECW, threatening to have D-Von fornicate with fans' mothers as they do. ECW is currently in a more beneficial position thanks to the exposure of the WWF angle, but the booking is otherwise the same, warts and all. At the most, I can see them surviving for a few months more ITTL.

Corporate Hogan is an idea I'd be willing to entertain, but I imagine that Hogan's ego will inevitably result in him getting dropped by Vince as well. And sure, Hogan's a master politician on his own, but Shawn's got the pull of himself, Nash, Hall and Trips (who may not be married to anyone in WCW, but he's clearly got some smooth talking skills if his track record for bringing back guys who burned bridges with Vince has gone IOTL) and Hogan has very few he can safely rely on to turn Eric's ear around. Maybe Savage, but they've always had a mercurial relationship.

Also, knocking out Dennis Rodman isn't all that bad.

The Dudleys didn't win the WWF tag titles. The SummerSlam matches were exhibition matches with no titles on the line and that was the end of the cross-promotion with ECW. The Dudleyz are back in ECW, threatening to have D-Von fornicate with fans' mothers as they do. ECW is currently in a more beneficial position thanks to the exposure of the WWF angle, but the booking is otherwise the same, warts and all. At the most, I can see them surviving for a few months more ITTL.

Corporate Hogan is an idea I'd be willing to entertain, but I imagine that Hogan's ego will inevitably result in him getting dropped by Vince as well. And sure, Hogan's a master politician on his own, but Shawn's got the pull of himself, Nash, Hall and Trips (who may not be married to anyone in WCW, but he's clearly got some smooth talking skills if his track record for bringing back guys who burned bridges with Vince has gone IOTL) and Hogan has very few he can safely rely on to turn Eric's ear around. Maybe Savage, but they've always had a mercurial relationship.

Also, knocking out Dennis Rodman isn't all that bad.
But there is one particular reason Vince would want hogan back: to elevate the new crop of talent. Also, Bret vs. Hogan with everything they went through will do big numbers.

WWF Light Heavyweight Championship Tournament

And we complete the title set with the Light Heavyweight title joining the WWF ranks. Here's the bracket up to the finals, which will be held at Gang Warz: In Your House

Quarterfinals

Aguila d. Super Loco

Taka Michinoku d. Devon Storm

Scott Taylor d. Eric Shelley

Brian Christopher d. Flash Flanagan

Semifinals

Taka Michinoku d. Aguila

Brian Christopher d. Scott Taylor

Also, Bret vs. Hogan with everything they went through will do big numbers.

seeing as Hogan didn't want to put Bret over and Bret likely wouldn't have wanted to put Hogan over in 1997, this is how you'd do the Montreal Screwjob ITTL, but seeing as Hogan probably wouldn't put Austin over at Mania, I imagine ITTL Vince wouldn't go through the rigamarole of re-signing him when he's setting up Austin/Bret II with Austin going over this time.

Is it possible Hogan might look to create his own company? He had amassed a considerable personal fortune by that stage and his influence could help get a TV deal.

He could look to revive some nostalgia from the 80s with some of the talent from then that was still working (Honky Tonk, Piper, Jake etc)

Is it possible Hogan might look to create his own company? He had amassed a considerable personal fortune by that stage and his influence could help get a TV deal.

He could look to revive some nostalgia from the 80s with some of the talent from then that was still working (Honky Tonk, Piper, Jake etc)

I mean, if the AWF is still operating...

Edit: Nope. Closed down in '96.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone would give him a TV deal. By this time IOTL Hogan's movie career was pretty much dead (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulk_Hogan#Acting). Given the earlier falling out with Bischoff his TNT pilot TV shows are probably not happening (they didn't go anywhere OTL either) and no one seemed interested in giving him more than a cameo here and there. It's still too early to cash in on the reality TV stuff as well. I'm thinking we see something similar to OTL where he bounced between returns to the WWF/WWE and other promotions every few years.

I'll say that at the moment, I have three possible plans for Hogan.

1. A one-off appearance at the Rumble, where he eliminates himself (again)
2. SummerSlam 1998 where he will tank the world title match out of spite.
3. Florida Gubernatorial Candidate Hulk Hogan.

Which one of these preserves his lawsuit that destroys Gawker as a media company? That's the one I'd choose!

I will say this for Hogan, when the match was laid out, he didn't act unprofessionally in the ring. Even when meant to lose, he always followed the script and didn't act like a raging jackass or take liberties with his opponents. Two is out in that respect, but an appearance at the Royal Rumble to set himself up for a feud with a fairly big name makes sense. Could be McMahon's way of seeing if Hogan can still go with a crowd and testing a potential Heel run.

Gang Warz: In Your House

6500 in the Springfield Civic Center for the final PPV of WWF's 1997. As you can see, the name has changed as there is no D-Generation X ITTL so instead we have it named after the tagline of OTL's Survivor Series. Eight matches on the card.

1. Los Boricuas (Jesus Castillo Jr./Jose Estrada Jr./Miguel Perez Jr.) d. The Disciples of Apocalypse (Chainz/Skull/8-Ball)
  2. WWF Light Heavyweight: Taka Michinoku d. Brian Christopher.
  3. Ken Shamrock d. Butterbean in a Toughman Match by TKO. Shamrock has that legit tough guy aura that can make this match watchable, and he's done worked shootfights, so he can carry Butterbean to a good TKO finish. Just wears Butterbean down until he's.on the match and punches until they have to pull Shamrock off.
  4. WWF European: The Rock (w/the Nation) d. Chris Candido (w/Lance Storm) Give Candido a shot here, give Rock some credibility with a talented worker, but the numbers game overwhelms Chris and he takes a Rock Bottom.
  5. Jeff Jarrett d. Marc Mero (w/Sable) The return of Double J as he comes in as an angry Southern wrestler who is sick of these New York cartoons they call athletes. He's old school, he ain't no country music fool and he starts his new run by beating Mero, putting him in the Figure Four and getting him to tap.
  6. WWF Tag: The Legion of Doom d. The New Age Outlaws by DQ. The Outlaws almost take the tag titles, but the LoD still got a lot in the tank, so Road Dogg clocks animal with a tag belt, forcing the DQ.
  7. WWF IC: Steve Austin d. The Undertaker. Just a good old fashioned brawl between two tough Texas boys. Austin and 'Taker put on a hell of a match, ending with a Stunner.
  8. WWF World: Bret Hart d. The British Bulldog (w/Jim Neidhart) We turn Davey face, showing concern over Bret's descent into more aggressive tactics. Bret's been heel for a while, but the chase has made him sink to desperation. He has to prove he's the best every single night. He's a man who's got enemies from all sides; Austin, Undertaker, Owen, Bulldog, Vader, Mankind, Rock, Jarrett, Mero, Shamrock, Candido, Goldust, Lance Storm, hell if Taka Michinoku thinks he's better or if the New Age Outlaws want a piece, he'll give them all a piece. That's the mindset of Bret Hart right now. A Hitman with a target on his back. Maybe lossing back at Ground Zero got to him a little, that he can be beaten and he doesn't want to lose the belt again. He puts Davey away with a Sharpshooter, keeping the belt close to him as he leaves the ring.
That wraps up the WWF for this year, next time we'll be heading to WCW with their last, and biggest, show of the calendar year.

Starrcade.