Jewels from India: part 1, ' Visitors from India'
In 1505, Vasco da Gama, newly appointed viceroy of the Indies, returned from India carrying loads of spices, textiles and other values of trade. While these exited the king and Queen, the newly converted natives and stories of a certain form of Christianity native to the subcontinent was what really caught the attention of Queen Isabel II. On the 10th of October the queen held an audience with the converts and was surprised to see that many, nearly all, had mastered both spanish and portugeese. They spoke of their lands and their habits, as well as their gods. We do not know how the queen or the courtiers understood hinduism but it seem that the queen did not mind them as she did the muslims, declaring them 'A rather confused sect of people who have been shown the wrong path'. As the audience was held, pieces of South Indian Art (which were robbed from the people or taken when temples were destroyed) were shown to the court. We have writings capturing the moment the crafts were shown, all agreeing that the indians were brilliant artists and craftsmen. The queen reportedly said ' I have seen the greatness of Christian architects, whose work helps one pray to god but I feel only the indians have the talent to bring god in this world. Blessed are the gods these heretics worship'. Thus, Isabel decided to build a Cathedral, dedicated to the Virgin, employing the converted Indians to showcase their talents. She was in luck as the majority of the people who had been brought were artisans. On New Years Eve the constructions for the La Gran Cathedral began.

As the court began to prepare for the constructions 4 priest asked audience with the queen. Antonio de la Cruz had accompanied da Gama on his 2nd voyage but had been accidentally left behind. He found refuge in various places and courts, learned the native languages and wrote extensively about the people, giving us the first writings about Indian life from an European perspective. In his writings he talks about the social hierarchy, the culture, the religion and the need to send an inquisition to root out heresy. After his death the Goan Inquisition would be established and would leave a bloody mark on Indian history.

Juan Enrique, too wrote about India but he translated the Bhagwat Gita, the Puranas, the Upanishads and most notably the Ramayana (it was done under the sponsorship of Isabel II) . According to legend he also translated the Mahabharata but considered it too vile to be presented before the people. He was often noted saying that ' the Ramayana represented the good world where all fulfilled their duty while the Mahabharata represented an evil world where people lived through cunning and deceit.'

Juan Escarra, wrote about the various kings and brought back a copy of the Arthashashtra which was translated into portugeese. He went on to write a book named 'The teachings of a King' which highlights the important lessons a king should learn and the qualities he should have. He acknowledges the Arthashashtra as the foundation for his book but makes it clear that he removed all the 'heresies' while writing. He was made a tutor to the royal children.

Francisco Iglesias, wrote about trade and architecture. He died sometime after the audience with the queen.

(I will write in more detail about each author and his book, the influence of Indian culture in some artworks during the reign of the Avis-Trastmara monarchs, how hinduism evolved in the Iberian peninsula, how India was colonized and (my personal favorite) how we won Independence. )

So we start a new series in this thread 'The Jewels of India'. I will write about each author individually and explore Indian culture. Feel free to leave suggestions on this series and for future threads.

Jewels from India: part 2- "La Iierra de la India" by Antonio de la Cruz
Antonio de la Cruz met the queen on the 3rd of January. Left on the exotic lands during the second voyage he had survived due to the generosity of a minor noble he mentions in his book as 'the Indian'. During his stay he had mastered the Malayalam language and also Tamil and Sanskrit. Thus he starts writing about this foreign land traveling from court to court, from patron to patron putting down what would be the most valuable asset in the Iberian conquest of India.

"The people here are not of the fairest skin and are classified into classes based on their occupation, which is passes down through their linage (casta) [1]....The people are quite rigid about their birth classes and would not, under any circumstances, share their food and daughters with those of other classes, especially those of the lower classes...."

"The land and title of the ruler does not pass on to his son but rather to his nephew from his sister's side....."

"The people of this land eat with their hands while sitting on the floor.....they also take regular baths which is not surpricing considering the sun dis always gazing down at the people......when approached by an older person, the people show their respect by bowing and touching the feet which is considered auspicious here....."

"The people worship several pagan gods some very similar to the gods of ancient Rome, do not have a system of baptism and believe in the rebirth and resurrection. I am yet to hear of any messiah but the people believe that when the time of the world is over the preserver god would take the form of a warrior riding a white horse and signal the end of the world."

"The people here believe in a goddess, whom they consider to be the epitome of all greatness.....they worship 33 Koti [2] gods and perform a nine day festival of fasting and prayer to appease her"

"I have heard of a very famous temple, dedicated to the warrior celibate god Ayyapan, where men go to as pilgrims....women are strictly not allowed in the place....the men wear black and dress simply avoiding all misdeeds during the month of the pilgrimage"

Excerpts from Antonio de la Cruz's 'La Iierra de la India'

[1]Antonio uses the word 'casta' which would evolve into the English word caste. The caste system can be summarized as a corrupted form of 'varna' and 'Jati' system. Varna was a psychological differentiation on the minds and understandings, while Jati was based on profession and was often very flexible. However, the caste system places ones importance in society based on their births and have an ugly mark in Indian history, often abstaining people from the lower castes from basic nessasities like water and touch.

[2] Here Koti means type. In Sanatan Dharma (a name Hindus often call their religion) 33 types of deties are worshiped - 12 Aditya (Anshuman, Aryaman, Indra, Twashta, Dhatu, Parjanya, Pusha, Bhag, Mitra, Varuna, Vivaswana, Vishnu), 8 Vasu (Aap, Dhruva, Soma, Dhar, Anil, Anal, Pratyusha, Prabhasa), 11 Rudras (Shambhu, Pinaki, Girish, Sthanu, Bharga, Bhava, Sadashiva, Shiva, Hara, Sharva, Kapali) and the 2 Ashwinis. In India koti is often confused with the word meaning crore (or about 100 million) giving rise to the myth about the 330 million gods and goddesses, although there are numerous regional gods.

Do write corrections if you have found a fault and criticism is welcomed.

Last edited:
Announcement
I will stop writing this thread

Continuing this thread has been quite a difficult task for me nowadays due to academia, school and all my extra curriculums. I had great fun writing this from last year but I do consider retiring as I cannot put any regularity in putting out my writing. (Sorry 😔l

But I do invite anyone, interested, to continue this thread if they want and as they want. Here are a few points to assist:
I. Isabel II has a very interesting life, building churches and temples, sponsoring writers, poets and explorers, leading memorable and impressive military campaigns and her (suspicious and rather too closeted?) friendship with her lady-in-waiting

II. Manuel is a devout father, husband and man. Not interested in much of European internal politics he is close to his son Juan, passionate about exploration and protective of his wife and children

III. France conquers Brittany and Spain conquers Navarre. Philippe, duke of Burgundy, lives to be emperor and Henry VIII is overthrown by Katherine of Aragon, with help of her eldest sister, killed in battle and replaced with his 9 year old daughter Mary

Jewels from India part 3: the writings of Juan Enrique
Jewels from India part 3: the writings of Juan Enrique

After Antonio de la Cruz, Juan Enrique met Queen Isabel and showed her some of his masterpieces: the first translations of Sacred Indian Literature. Of course he was charged with heresy but Enrique managed to stay out of the inquisition's reach until the storm has cooled.

February 1506: Juan Enrique shows the queen his translation of the Bhagavat Gita. According to him, he had removed 'all that would corrupt the Christian soul ' and picked up verses which ' resonated with the world of Christ'. The Queen and the prince of Asturias, now a young man of 15, seemed genuinely interested in the 'Christian works of the East' or as Enrique described it. What the old monk penned down from the sacred Hindu scripture might be more of a essay than actual translation and his book is thus called 'The Bible of the East' as named by the monk himself. This muddled translation, however, do contain some valuable verses.

Quotes Juan Enrique took from the Bhagwat Gita:
1. ' Krishna: It is better to live one's own dutiful life imperfectly than living someone else's life perfectly'
2. 'Krishna: Die, and you will win heaven; conquer, and you will enjoy sovereignty of the earth;
therefore, stand up Arjuna, determined to fight'
3. 'Krishna: To work alone you have the right, and not to the fruits. Do not be impelled by the fruits of work.
Nor have attachment to inaction'

In this manner Juan Enrique managed to convince the Court that his works were not a translation of heretical texts but of Christian thoughts which, according to him, the Indians had misused to spread heretical thoughts. This would further encourage the Portuguese and Spanish to conquer India and reclaim the lost land of Christ.

While he managed to stay away from the wrath of the Church, Juan Enrique managed to convince Queen Isabel II to sponsor another ambitious act of his, the translation of the Epic Ramayana. Isabel II, while being against it at first, agreed later, possibly at the request of her oldest daughter and namesake. Her condition was simple - it should not promote unchristian ideals. This is how the Ramayana was first translated by Europeans, although these translations were never completely honest.

Juan Enrique's translation is more of another variant of the Ramayana than an actual translation. For example it starts with Rishika Lopamudra telling the new Queen of Mathura the story of Devi Sita when the young queen asked wether there are any pious women left for society to look up to. Some other points to note are the inclusion of regional stories of the Ramayana. One of the most famous example of this is the story of the two widows of king Dilip I. While the story stays the same (of the two widows of king Dilip conceiving a son after he died childless) Juan Enrique changes the identity of the queens and adds a romantic adventure. One of the queens is the princess of the Western Ghats while the other, younger one, is a far away cousin of King Dilip who is crowned after his death and falls in love with his widow.

The authenticity of Juan Enrique's work is still on debate while modern scholars generally put his works as a poor attempt to fabricate Indian sacred literature.

(I have never properly read the Gita and it's a first big writing please correct me if I am wrong somewhere)
@ordinarylittleme do check this out and pls do report any mistake.

Last edited:
One of the most famous example of this is the story of the two widows of king Dilip I.
It's from Krithibas Ojha's translation of the Ramayana, isn't it?
I have read a bit of the Bengali Ramayana (was a part of the syllabus in class 6 &7) 😁

Last edited:
It's from Krithibas Ojha's translation of the Ramayana, isn't it?
I have read a bit of the Bengali Ramayana (was a part of the syllabus in class 6 &7) 😁
Yeah....its the story of how ganga was brought down to the earth. Which parts of the Bengali Ramayana did u read? Just curious.

Jewels of India part 4: Os Ensinamentos de um Rei

Jewels of India part 4: Os Ensinamentos de um Rei

Juan Escarra was a man of sharp features and intellect. At the age of 43, he had returned to the Iberian courts with something that would influence societal behaviour well into the 19th century. This was Kauṭilya's Arthashashtra.

Unlike his fellow monks Escarra went to the court of Manuel I instead of Isabel II. He wanted an audience with the royal princes, especially Miguel. He was certainly disappointed when he discovered that, save Felipe and Maria, all the royal children were in Granada. Manuel, an all time lover to Indian items and goods made the monk stay over and offered to sponsor the monk as he translated the the Arthashashtra. He was the last of the four monks to meet the queen and the only one to have an interaction with all the royal children. He met Queen Isabel II on the 5th of September and presented his work, which he titled 'The Teachings of a King'.

The Queen held an audience with the monk for 5 days and seemed to have enjoyed his sharp thought and to-the-point speeches. He explained to the queen that, the only reason the Indian kings were lords of gold and spices was because of their social customs and habits. He emphasised that he had removed all 'heresies' from the text when he prepared to translate the work and brought out the best form the Indian text. For 5 days the monk impressed the court with his intellect until finally in the 5th day the queen offered Escarra the ultimate offer: tutor the royal children. Escarra agreed and would go on the advise the next generation of Kings.

In his book, like Kautilya, Escarra emphasis on discipline as the most important element which a good king from a bad onem Escarra divides the kings day into 8 parts and makes a routine adhering to Spanish Christian customs. He says:

"In the first hour of the day, the king should wake up an hour before sunrise clean himself of all impurities of the previous day, He should dedicate the first half of his day to prayer and devotion. "

"The second hour of the day should be send with his sons and wife. The king should receive reports of his children and subjects, which he should review without letting wrath or impatience entering his mind. The queen should advise the king in his duties and prepare her sons and daughters for the day, reviewing their lessons and designating punishments without partiality."

"In the third hour of the day, the king should review matters of treasury, trade and imports. He should be merciless in his approach when handling cheaters, swindlers and pirates. "

"In the forth hour of the day, the king should review his men, make sure that the army is stocked with arms and their is no feeling of cowardice, jealousy and sloth among his men. At this hour the king should practice his sport with dedication until his body is covered in sweat. "

"In the fifth hour of the day, the king should hold court, delegate tasks and deliver justice to his subjects. He should surround himself with sound men of thought and should not discriminate when choosing his ministers. If a Shepard delivers better justice than a noble, let the Shepard advise the king. For a bad king surrounded by good ministers improves himself but a good king who surrounds himself with bad company destroys everything around himself. "

"The sixth hour of the day should be spend with family. The king can take a nap if the sun delivers mercy but it is prefered that the king spends this hour with his heir and second in line as well as his wife and daughters. His sons, especially his heir, should be taught the royal duties by the king himself with much strictness and rigidness as required to shape a sword. With his daughter He should be lenient, loving and caring, for they should always place their father before their future husbands. When the infantas get married, the kindness and lovingness of the father will be reflected when the infantas prefer their homeland than the land of their marriage. At this time, if the sun is not forgiving, the discussion should take place inside but otherwise the king and Queen should always ride their horses as they talk of important issues. "

"The seventh hour of the day is too be spend with the wife and the six dogs of the court- the confessor, the cook, the master of the horse, the Spymaster, the barber and the chief lady in waiting. These people are like the canines, when pleased they serve with loyalty but if they are fed by someone else then they lose loyalty easily. "

"In the eight hour of the day, the king should meet his confessor, confess his sins, pray to the lord and have dinner with his wife. The king should then spend 3 more hours in study. Then he should pray to the lord one last time for forgiveness before retiring to bed.

note: Juan Escarra's book, despite being a knockoff of the Arthashashtra, still presents some good points and gives credit to Chanakya as the inspiration.

Jewels of India part 5: The journal of Francisco Iglesias
The journal of Francisco Iglesias

When Iglesias met the Spanish Queen, he was a man of much age and ridden with many diseases. Despite the fact, that his works remains very little of, it remains as the most marked influence of Indian culture on the peninsula. His work talks about the architecture and trade of the subcontinent, especially the south.

"The Indians build magnificent temples, so high that they can be compared to the tower of Babel. Their walls are covered with intricate artworks, so fine that one will be shocked to know that the bull was carved out of 2 stones.....The Indians have a very systematic way of making the temples, they divide the structure into 4 sections- the womb (garbagriha) where the idol is kept and is usually very dark with limited access to special priests, the entrance (gopurams) which is an ornate structure with the face of the protector deity, the tower (vimana) which is build over the womb and is ornate and decorated with the artworks of skilled artisans and the halls (mandapams) which are either open or close depending on how the kings liked them.....what I also noted about the Indians is that they often use these monuments to hide their wealth and use them as schools..."

About trade he wrote,
"the Indians are by birth traders .... their boats sail everywhere the tide goes and I am told that these traders often brought with them the likings of their kings who conquered the lands if the ruler of the particular land did not cooperate with the king..... there also existed 3 kingdoms (Chola, Chera and Pandeya), which were deemed unconquerable and wealthy due to the spice trade....one of the 3 kingdoms (the Pandey) existed until a few years I have arrived....there is a seperate class of people whose trade is to roam the seas in search of sellers and buyers, these people are born into the family of traders and consider it their sacred duty or darma (dharma)....these people trade with the Chinese and the eastern countries where the nutmeg is of abundance..."

Iglesias died a few days after his meeting with the queen. The Spanish and Portuguese would use his works as a way to develop a mercantile class of their own.

(This is an extremely short thread.... actually the history of indian architecture and trade is extremely vast and I have focused mostly on a fragment of the south )