The Biden Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
a new Ayatollah in Iran a few posts back. If I'm right, it's Montazari.

Well, nothing is written just yet... ;)

I like how Whitman pulled off the surprise win that OTL went to Wellstone.

Well, I didn't really mention it but I'd say that the better line to draw would be to Governor Russ Feingold in Wisconsin, maybe Udall in New Mexico; Whitman really did get super close to Bradley IOTL, and in a year that trended more Republican... The proposed NJ tax plan is $800 million less than OTL, with economics going some what better. Globaly the slump will be minor and shorther than OTL's early 90's reccession, with potential politcal impacts stemming from that.

Filling the Gaps
---
The elections of 1990 stirred some changes in the Biden White House. The first high profile change came when Secretary Dianne Feinstein resigned make her failed run for Governor of California. To replace her at Health and Human Services, President Biden tapped Trade Representative Paul Tsongas of Massachusetts, an effective organizer and himself a cancer survivor. Shortly after the elections in 1990, Secretary of Transportation Tommy Thompson resigned his position. Thompson, the only Republican Cabinet Secretary, said he had “succeeded at getting high speed rail going” and he had “accomplished more than I thought possible in two years.” The political reality made it seem more likely that the midterms had polarized his working environment. And seeing his former Governorship return to Democratic control was biting. To fill to role, former Governor of Massachusetts, and once primary opponent of President Biden’s, Michael Dukakis was appointed.

Follow the departure of Thompson, other high-profile Republicans in the administration soon departed. William Webster, a holdover from the Reagan Administration, stepped down as Director of Central Intelligence, citing family reasons. Biden tapped Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Staff Director George Tenet to fill the role, upsetting some career members in the secretive and clannish Central Intelligence Agency. The final major Republican to leave the administration was Pete du Pont, who had been visibly frustrated with the lack of freedom he was given in his role as Director of National Drug Control Policy, who was replaced by Houston Police Chief Lee Brown.

But it would be elections abroad that would cause the biggest changes at home…

Rudy Perpich’s War

---

The Vice President had gotten used to waiting. As Biden’s pointman, his role was to primarily push Joe’s agenda, his own be damned. Washington was no longer new to him, and he had settled in his role. Shaking hands and posing for pictures the President did not want to take was a fair trade off for having the sort of input he had in domestic affairs over the past two years. But today was not about domestic affairs, at least domestic American affairs at any rate. Mr. Vice President, the President will see you now. Finally, the doors to what is the sacred inner circle of American politics swung open. The manila folder was beginning to burn a hole in his hand. His staff waited outside. I’d ask what this is about, Rudy, but I think I already know. We’ve talked about this before.

Of course he did. Yugoslavia. Everyone had their baggage, but who would have guessed when he had been picked in ’89 that this is would be it. ’89… seemed so long ago.

Of course you know, Joe. They’re killing my people. Our people Joe – they’re Catholics, you know. Croatia. Perpich didn’t even think of Yugoslavia as a single entity anymore. Already in his head they were separate – Slovenia, Serbia, Bosnia and of course, land of his fathers, Croatia. Literally. His father, Anton was from a town just outside of Senj, but that was nearly a century ago. Senj itself was literally prehistoric. It had existed before the written record. Anton, now 91, was dying of heartache at what was beginning to happen in the old country. Rudy was tired of the excuses. They killed Tudjman, and now they’re rolling in the tanks! This isn’t a civil war; it’ll be a massacre, genocide! Vukovar fell and they sent them to camps. It’s happening again, on our watch. What the fuck happened to ‘Never Again’?

Any sense of charm or levity left the room. The most powerful man in the world was staring down his chosen successor, whom he was supposed to trust if the unthinkable happened. But it’s my name that’ll be in the history books. What am I supposed to do? Do we intervene? If we bomb Milosevic, for what? And what about Gorbachev? We’ve put in countless hours with the Soviets. Acting out like this would send them running, prove the hardliners right. And NATO? Who would back us? Thatcher!? Bullshit. Europe is turning a blind-eye and it is in their backyard. We can’t get involved. I get the briefings same as you, Rudy.

But I don’t need them translated. There was another heavy pause before the President responded. You said they’re sending them to camps?

Milosevic. He’s sending planning it himself. The Vice President threw the manila folder onto the Resolute desk. The President read the transcripts inside. Where did you get this? The briefings said the crimes so far had just been outlaw bands, nothing orchestrated.

I went to the source. Admiral Howe is just sitting there in Naples, intercepting these communications every day. The Serbs are the JNA now. They have a monopoly of force and they are using it. Now, Joe, I know we can’t send in the Marines. So send me instead. We have to try something. Let me try and talk to them, to Milosevic, to anybody. We have to try before it’s too late. As my father would say, ‘Pomozi si sam pa će ti i Bog pomoći. First help yourself and then God will help you.’

The two men talked about what to do next late into the night.

Last edited:
Ouch, I feel for Perpich, my own grandparents survived the war, God Bless, and my parents emigrated before I was born. Let's hope the intervention, and the clean up, is better this time around.

Just finished reading this start-to-finish. Magnificent. I haven't felt this way about a Political Timeline since BlackMage's spectacular Fifth Hamlin.

Specifically, I liked the way you handled the Supreme Court nominations, and I'd be curious to hear of any major decisions the bench makes during the rest of the Biden Presidency. I'm a sucker for SCOTUS action. :p

Also, I think the type of writing you just did in your last update with Perpich is your best feature. You write personal, emotional/narrative-y updates quite well.

Please, carry on. :)

Ouch, I feel for Perpich, my own grandparents survived the war, God Bless, and my parents emigrated before I was born. Let's hope the intervention, and the clean up, is better this time around.

When writing about such recent history it is important to be sensative, hadn't thought about it touching so close to a board member. The destrction will be less extensive on the whole, I think. But not everything will be the same. I already mentioned Albania's different path.

Do I spy a Charlie Wilson's War reference there?

In name, yes. ;)

Just finished reading this start-to-finish. Magnificent. I haven't felt this way about a Political Timeline since BlackMage's spectacular Fifth Hamlin.

Specifically, I liked the way you handled the Supreme Court nominations, and I'd be curious to hear of any major decisions the bench makes during the rest of the Biden Presidency. I'm a sucker for SCOTUS action. :p

Also, I think the type of writing you just did in your last update with Perpich is your best feature. You write personal, emotional/narrative-y updates quite well.

Please, carry on. :)

Thanks for the praise. Haven't read that TL I'll have to check it out.

I really should do a SCOTUS overview, divergences in cases are likely to be big without Thomas and Souter the bench will certainly have a more liberal tilt than in OTL.

The "Founding Father" of Modern Croatia

Yup. In OTL he was attacked during the 1990 election campaign. ITTL, it was fatal, causing events to fall apart faster.

Great last round of updates Whan, I just had a quick question on what's Gen. Powell's role in Biden's administration? It seems to me that with his credentials, Biden would want for him to stick around as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. I am interested however, in the potential political ramifications of Powell serving in a Democratic Administration. In the run up to OTL '96 election, Powell declared himself a Republican largely because he felt a duty to the two men (Reagan and Bush) who had given him a job for twelve years. ITTL, that won't necessarily be the case, as Powell is on record for having voted Democratic earlier in his life, and if he plays a prominent role in the foreign policy of the Biden years he will be one of the top Democratic candidates to be looked at in '96(If Biden doesn't win re-election) or 2000.

Powell would have Bi-partisan credentials, and I think his wife Alma would be much more comfortable with the base of support in the Democratic party than she was with OTL Republicans. Anyhow, I know it's a long way off, but It's something I thought about for my now defunct Dukakis TL, and thought it could be equally plausible for TTTL...Keep it comming Buddy:D

Great last round of updates Whan, I just had a quick question on what's Gen. Powell's role in Biden's administration? It seems to me that with his credentials, Biden would want for him to stick around as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. I am interested however, in the potential political ramifications of Powell serving in a Democratic Administration. In the run up to OTL '96 election, Powell declared himself a Republican largely because he felt a duty to the two men (Reagan and Bush) who had given him a job for twelve years. ITTL, that won't necessarily be the case, as Powell is on record for having voted Democratic earlier in his life, and if he plays a prominent role in the foreign policy of the Biden years he will be one of the top Democratic candidates to be looked at in '96(If Biden doesn't win re-election) or 2000.

Powell would have Bi-partisan credentials, and I think his wife Alma would be much more comfortable with the base of support in the Democratic party than she was with OTL Republicans. Anyhow, I know it's a long way off, but It's something I thought about for my now defunct Dukakis TL, and thought it could be equally plausible for TTTL...Keep it comming Buddy:D

Powell is certainly still Chairman, not appointing the first black chairman when you could is probably a bad move, especially when it is such a good candidate like Powell. Powell may still have some of the same issues as he did in the Clinton Administration - being a realist when dealing with mostly international idealists on the time.

That being said, Biden is probably more of a realist than Clinton, at least on most issues. Biden and Powell certainly agree that force has to be the last choice. He also is more comfortable with international issues than Clinton at the beginning of his term IOTL, with Biden having years of diplomatic experience.

The first major crises of the Biden White House is forming. As pervious posts have noted, one or two members of the team (Brzezinski) aren't really known for playing well with others.

But I'll have to think about the Powell situation, thanks for noting it. I appreciate the positive responses. If any thinks any aspect is missing or needs more flushing out, or has any additional ideas, I'm happy to appease.

Really enjoyable TL! You're managing to make it distinctive from LHB's Iran-Contra TL despite treading through the same years. So, my thoughts on who plays the president on SNL ITTL:

Kevin Nealon seems the most likely choice for Biden physically, but Phil Hartman does a better job playing swagger. And while I can see a lot of people playing Perpich, it comes down to characterization. Lovitz is senior to Mike Myers, so I bet he gets the job and we get a bumbling, unimpressive version of Perpich next to Biden's gravitas. Dana Carvey, of course, plays Bush during the elections and for Martin...hard to say. Jan Hooks plays her media-savvy, Nora Dunn plays her flinty and smart. Either will work, but my money's on Dunn.

Really enjoyable TL! You're managing to make it distinctive from LHB's Iran-Contra TL despite treading through the same years. So, my thoughts on who plays the president on SNL ITTL:

Kevin Nealon seems the most likely choice for Biden physically, but Phil Hartman does a better job playing swagger. And while I can see a lot of people playing Perpich, it comes down to characterization. Lovitz is senior to Mike Myers, so I bet he gets the job and we get a bumbling, unimpressive version of Perpich next to Biden's gravitas. Dana Carvey, of course, plays Bush during the elections and for Martin...hard to say. Jan Hooks plays her media-savvy, Nora Dunn plays her flinty and smart. Either will work, but my money's on Dunn.

Thanks! I have been very conscious about the fact that both LHB and I happen to be doing Democrats in '88 TLs but he seems to have different departures which leads down different paths. Furthermore, in his Iran-Contra TL, the GOP is pretty much disgraced, rather than just defeated. I think comparing the two offers a good study on how fragile historical causation is. Both Hart and Biden are of the same generational and idealogical mindset, but the variences in personality make all the difference in the world.

With respect to SNL, I did make a note of some players earlier:
Ron Down

---
Saturday Night Live would feature a cold open with a quiet, muddled George Bush (Dana Carvey) and a raving, confused Joe Biden (Phil Hartman), in their first debate, failing to speak in coherent manners, as Lynn Martin (Nora Dunn) and Rudy Perpich (Al Franken) in the audience grow frustrated with their bumbling, and Ron Paul (A. Whitney Brown) stares in through a window, sad and alone.

Still, you reminded me of a butterfly I wanted to make so this is going to change a little in the next update. I've also noted that Phil Hartman survives longer than he did IOTL, thankfully.

Sorry about the lack of updates. I have been distracted by real world events for the moment.

I don't mean to let the TL die and I hope this has been missed by some. I finally have a weekend again this weekend, so hopefully I will get some ink on paper (digitally speaking).

The Best Laid Plans of Men

---

The Vice President was not exactly a stranger to the Briefing Room, but he still did not feel comfortable there. Despite his posturing during the campaign (Commander-in-Chief of the Minnesota National Guard and all), Perpich did not have a firm grasp on not being intimidated by ‘The Brass’.

And beyond that, the state of mind it took to devise machinations and courses of action on a global scale seemed beyond his reach at the moment. Perhaps he did not wish to run for President in 1996 after all...

As the key parties entered the room, a moment of surprise registered on each of their faces as the noted the Vice President’s presence. Okay, perhaps he was a stranger here. The final player to arrive was Bentsen, obviously puzzled why the Secretary of the Treasury would be called down here. The President began the meeting. The Vice President and I have been discussing the issue and I think it is time we take some action on the Yugoslav problem. It is a bleeding sore, an ulcer destroying the credibility of NATO. Furthermore, there is a moral imperative to stop systemic acts of genocide.

The gathered officials were uncertain on how they were supposed to respond. General Colin Powell decided to play Devil’s advocate. Sir, first, may I say that any military action would be considered unwise. We have very few, if any, direct interests in Yugoslavia and the European Council has stated that it is largely an internal problem that requires domestic resolution. Secondly, I just want to note that reports of genocide are sketchy and that they are likely rogue actions, rather than a systemic effort.

Well, the Vice President decided to go to the source before approaching me, he asked Admiral Boorda at CINCSOUTH for his assessment, which shared a fair more detail than the report’s from the Chief of Naval Operations have been including. The Vice President also noted one or two translation errors from the original Croatian. But General Powell, you are right in saying that military action ought to be avoided. That is why I am requesting that an emergency diplomatic mission be made to Belgrade, so perhaps we can stem the bloodshed before we start calling Yugoslavia our ‘greatest regret’ in our autobiographies.

And who exactly, may I ask, will be leading this mission? If Secretary of State Warren Christopher was surprised, he hid it well behind a diplomatic façade.

Answering the question why he was in attendance, the Vice President simply asserted Me.

Bentsen realized why he was in attendance. The Secret Service is gonna have a field day with this one.

Presidents have visited warzones before, and Belgrade is not one, at least not yet. It is my life to risk, is it not?

Mr. Vice President, I hope to God you are not right.

President Biden felt it was time to accept the mission as fait accompli and start gaming the scenarios. Z, how will the Soviets react? Zbigniew Brzezinski, perhaps for the first time in his life, was not sure.

Well, that depends, Mr. President, on how successful the mission is. What are our goals?

Negotiated cease fire, disarmament of forces in Croatia and Bosia, perhaps Serbian withdrawl, to allow the UN peacekeepers to secure their safezones.

Well, I will have to confirm with Ambassador Albright in Moscow, but if we notify them ahead of time, they should be accepting of a peaceful mission. However, Gorbachev’s position is not as strong as it seems; there is an upcoming union-wide referendum and elections at the Republic level. Our treatment of the Slavic Serbs may have some impact. It is well known in that corner of the world that you are Croatian, Mr. Perpich.

I’d like to see my background as an asset instead of as an impairment in this situation.

And that is exactly what it is Rudy. I wouldn’t be backing this move unless I was confident that you could of great assistance. All we need to do now is sort out the details and inform the public.

---

“WI: Boris Yeltsin Lives?”
Athenian said:
IOTL, Boris Yeltsin, who was a rebellious politician in the Soviet Union during the final days of the Cold War, fell from a bridge on Sept. 28, 1989, dying from his injuries some time later. He was the first man to ever resign from the Politburo. His allies said he was pushed off the bridge as an assassination attempt. What if he lived to lead the opposition during the Handover?
Athenian said:
KingTut said:
Who? :looks up who Yeltsin is: I had never heard of him before. Seems like he was a drunk (even for Russian standards of the day), probably fell of the bridge because of that. I doubt he could get very far. If he somehow managed to come into a powerful role, a drunk in charge of Russia, or worse, the Union at large could only be bad news. But it’s doubtful that he could get far at all.

Excellent update, nice to see Perpich getting some good usage, and interesting to see the more prose-style approach rather than the traditional TL style. Heh, very reminiscent of the initial Clinton cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.