The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

Since the restart of the timeline is taking longer than I anticipated, I've decided to whip up another bonus bit for you guys. Enjoy!

Billboard Magazine 3/2/1974

Sources: Apple To Sign Bee Gees
Is Apple Records the label of nobodies?

by Ross Vincent - Billboard Staff Writer

Sources familiar with the situation have reported that Apple Records, the label captained by The Beatles, is planning on signing The Bee Gees, a trio of Brit-Australian brothers best known for their run of success here in the US and in Britain late in the last decade. The Bee Gees were recently dropped from their label after a series of flop releases.

Such a move would be on-brand for the label, which aside from The Beatles, has a roster of artists which is lackluster at best and snooze-worthy at worst. Try to name at least one other succesful artist on Apple. I'll bet you can't. The A&R people at Apple don't seem to value seeking out new talent all that much. The only up-and-comer they can lay claim to is Aerosmith, who have had only limited success thus far. The only Apple product I've seen on the charts with any consistency is that of The Beatles. Thus far, the sales of Beatles material has been enough to float the label, but how long will that last, especially since they don't seem to have an eye to the future at all?

If this deal truly does go down, I have little faith in Apple's ability to survive the next few years. The Beatles have worse business sense than my dog. Any junkie off the street could run Apple much better than they have. Have they ever thought to step aside and let people who truly know what they're doing take control? Maybe they have so much hubris from being the top pop group on the planet that they won't do that.

So Beatles, if you're reading this: Please, for the love of all that is good, leave the A&R and business decisions at Apple to the qualified people and you just focus on the music side of things, alright? Either do that, or let the ship sink out from under you. Your choice.

Firstly, welcome back and thank you for this!

Secondly, "on-brand" is a modernism first attested in '95.

(I live in 1967 currently and spend much of my editing life playing "spot the anachronism" ;) )

Sources: Apple To Sign Bee Gees
Is Apple Records the label of nobodies?

Such a move would be on-brand for the label, which aside from The Beatles, has a roster of artists which is lackluster at best and snooze-worthy at worst. Try to name at least one other succesful artist on Apple. I'll bet you can't.
Queen II is due out in March 74 (OTL date) and I hope this critic gets to eat his words as it hits the Top 10.

Sheer Heart Attack is due in Nov and I am hoping Queen just keeps getting better from there.

Is Billy Preston still considered 'the 5th Beatle'? He has hardly been mentioned, but a black artist working with the Beatles should be making some waves.

Also is Billy signed to Apple?

Hello everyone! Just checking in to say that I'm doing alright and I Feel Fine (see what I did there?). Anyway, I must be having the most severe case of writers block ever to befall mankind. I knew it was going to get difficult the further we got into the 70s. I'm STILL after all this time planning to continue this timeline as I'm just as curious as you all are to see what will happen to the group in the 80s, 90s and beyond. I don't know what will reopen my floodgates of creativity, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks everyone for your understanding and I hope to be starting this again soon!

Last edited:
Hello, im rather new to this site but i do have a few ideas that could effect the beatles

the oil crisis starts, perhaps taking a hit to apple
The sydney opera house opens, i think it would be nice if the fabs played there either on tour or as a regular show
Kiss, Acdc, the Ramones, Van Halen, and Journey all begin in 74
something in relation to elton john
Both ringo and john released albums OTL around september-october 1974 so maybe an album around there