How do you feel about this ATL?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ramontxo

Donor
Waiting for the next update. I hope that Italy gets a better deal (or one it perceives as better) at the end of the war

@Ramontxo It will kind of depend on whether Sonnino and Salandra actually join the Allies. As of now, they're just talking it out, drinking wine and eating Tiramisu. You'll see soon enough.

@Rickshaw Perhaps, I did not think of that at all. I might go ahead and do that.

@Fred the Great I didn't want to choose a Liberal or Labor person for the ATL PM, it's going to be different from 1915 onwards. Katter being PM for instance, that's not a joke. It was either going to be that or Fraser Anning, but I reckon someone would have called ASB.

Anyway, I should be getting the next update by tomorrow. After that, we have Operation Illiad

Feeling The Burn: A Different Sanders In A Different Quagmire.
11th February 1915

With preparations underway, the commander of the Ottoman 5th Army had to get every man moving. Holding the Dardanelles under his feet, he wanted every precaution put in place.
Taking a look at the map, he ordered men to face Cape Helles as well as Gaba Tepe. Having men at the easiest landing sites, he would be able to pin any force down before pushing them onto the beach. Taking coffee in the winter time, Otto Liman viewed the wide and open sea. Standing on this ground, he knew that this place would be focus of many people. People in Constantinople, Berlin and Vienna and those in Petrograd, London and Paris. Sooner or later, the ground would shake underneath him. Shake not with the fury of marching men towards their defences, but by shells and shell fire. The fortresses on the Asian side had no preemptive attacks on them, which made him calm. Looking to the horizon, he wondered if they would come today. The British or even the Greeks. He knew what happened in 1453 and what happened in 1914. They would have to come for here, he wondered. Something had to give, after what he had heard of the Russians.
'Foolish Tsar. Thinks he can beat Prussians. The idiot wears the crown. Such a shame that German girl had to marry him.' he said to himself, shaking his head.

Advancing towards him was the commander of the 19th Division. Saluting him, he requested an audience with Liman.
'Of course, please join me. You must tell me of the work so far.' the German said. The commander, Mustafa Kemal, obliged him. Being a man promoted by the German himself, he had no choice but to follow what he asked.
'General, we have more than enough men to take on any landing. Cape Helles is secure as is Gaba Tepe, with the artillery overlooking the beaches. I can assure you, there will be no chance that the Allies can land - '
' - But in the event - '
' - "in the event" what?' Mustafa asked, shrugging his shoulders. Smiling, Liman sipped on his cup.
'Tell me, in the event of an attack, what would occur?' Liman asked him.
'Depends on where they land - '
' - Pick a place. Any place on the map. As long as it is in our region, that is - '
' - Cape Helles,' Mustafa said, jabbing it with his gloved finger, 'beneath the old Seddülbahir fortress. They will face machine gun fire. No man would be sane enough to attack - '
' - What if the enemy did what you did? What if they attacked everywhere except that fortress?' Liman asked him, staring at him as he finished the cup. Taking in a deep breath, Mustafa looked at the map.
'I would not change the men. They would be in positions the way they are, right now. Only the day of the attack would guide us to a more, realistic chance of defence and attack.' Mustafa said, taking out his canteen and drinking from it. Showing him a hand, Liman saluted Mustafa.
'Now may not be a good time, given your hard training. Another day will suffice. In the meantime, attend to your men.' said Liman, before he dismissed him. At once, Mustafa left for the 19th Division.

Two hours pass, with no -
' - General, the Minister of War wishes to seek an audience with you.' said one of the guards of Liman's quarters said. Nodding, he beckoned the man to enter. Wiping away sweat from his brow, Enver Pasha entered Liman's presence.
'Minister,' said Liman, trying not to show shock, 'what brings you here of all places.' Taking in several deep breaths, the Minister for War managed to look the General in the eye.
'As part of recent developments, I am here to relieve you of a segment of your men - '
' - Hha ahaha, forgive me Minister,' said Liman, thinking it was a mistake on Pasha's part, 'I do not understand. Could you at least - '
' - The Russians have advanced through the east. They - '
' - The last time that I heard of the east, it was stuck on the west of the Vistula - '
' - I mean the Caucasus,' the Minister said, trying not to unleash any anger, 'the Russian forces have made their advance.'
'Forgive me, Minister, but I say that the 3rd Army headquarters in Erzurum would stand - '
' - It would, General Liman,' said the Minister, 'but it stands no more. Neither does the 3rd Army.' Hearing this, the General could not look away. The sweat started to drip off, even when it was winter. The Minister's wide eyes, the grinding of the teeth, the hot pink of his cheeks and the clenched fists. He was no more different than General Liman in his reaction.
'How many men?' the General asked, his voice dropping at the end.
'The entire 3rd Army has either died or faced captured by the Russians and the bloody Armenians!' Turning around, the Minister for War stomped up and down in fury.
'We can win this. By God, we can,' said the General, 'what we - '
' - No. What you need to do is to follow my orders. I have lost a battle and I will not let someone else lose it. Which is why I ask you for the relief of some of your soldiers to ensure that the Russians and the Armenians do not move. They will not achieve much if there is a force powerful enough to deal with it.' the Minister of War said. Hearing him say this, Liman noticed what the Minister said. Knowing of the clash between himself and Pasha, he wasn't too sure if this was some trap.
'I am, occupied with the - '
' - "occupied"? The Allies have not attacked since we have declared war. They have not bombarded our shores, they have not attacked with a land invasion. All the fighting has been in Egypt, there is nothing - '
' - Minister, I have orders about the defence of the Dardanelles. I mean to uphold them and I cannot do that with a depleted 5th Army - '
' - General Liman. I have orders about the defence of the east. I mean to uphold them and I cannot do that with a depleted defensive force. I need a division of men to ensure that the Russians and the Armenians will keep to where we want them.' The Minister's snort was not giving Liman any favours. Calling for a division, Liman wondered how he was going to take on any force. The situation should call for more soldiers from...Thinking about it, he asked the Minister -
' - Why can't there be more soldiers raised elsewhere? Why the Dardanelles of all places - '
' - I ask in person so that you cannot disobey the orders given. You will relinquish a division of men or - '
' - Or what?' Crossing his arms, Liman wondered if the man was going to follow through with the idea. Taking three steps closer, the Minister was about a forearm's distance from Liman.
'Otherwise I will look forward to working with your successor - '
' - My successor and his successor and his successor and his successor will say the same answer for your demand. It cannot occur - '
' - You will give me one division of men!' the Minister shouted, loud enough for any man to hear within a reasonable distance. With a shiver up his spine, the General cleared his throat.
'How am I to defend?' Liman asked, thinking of the sacrifice of one division. Looking at the Turk, he struggled to follow such an order. If such an order arranged itself in reality, his men would have to double their efforts to fill any gap of the line.
'You have the high ground, General.' said the Minister.
'You seem to underestimate the power of the Allies - '
' - In the same way you underestimate my order. One division, that is all I need to clear away these Russians and Armenians.' said the Minister, before spitting onto the ground after the last word.
'Forgive me Minister, but I cannot lose a single man from this position. The, the Sultan would expect me to defend - '
' - "The Sultan"? The Sultan would expect a visitor to his land, one that fights with us, to aid the Sultan's ministers in the war. The Sultan would also expect you to relinquish his men, men of the Ottoman Empire by the way, not of the Second Reich.' said the Minister.
'The Sec, the Ottoman Empire would allow me the right to control the numbers of men under my command. It was you that gave me that right - '
' - And it is also me that can take away that right! One division, General Liman. That is all that I am asking! One! Tell me, what do you know of Latin?'
'I know enough, Minister,' said General Liman, 'I know enough.'
'Good,' the Minister smiled while his eyes stared, 'are you aware of "Clausula rebus sic stantibus"?'
Shaking his head, the General didn't care much for the inexperience man, 'Tell me then.'
'It states that an agreement is void based off a fundamental change of circumstances. As of now, 90,000 men are dead. That, General, is a change of circumstance - '
' - So, forgive me Minister - '
' - You have my forgiveness, but you also have my order. One division - '
' - Herr Pasha I will not compel myself to - '
' - It is Minister Pasha!' shouted Enver Pasha, trying to be louder than the annoyed and grunting German. Snorting, General Liman wished for another drink. Breaking away from the Minister's sight could be a sight of defeat, something that the German did not want. The Dardanelles was to be secure with the entire 5th Army. Not some section, but with all the 5th Army. God give me strength, said Liman.
'Is there no other way?' General Liman asked, in the hope that he would break, that he would give up in all his fury.
'No.' Minister Enver said, breaking away any assumption that Liman said. Taking in a deep breath, he turned from the Minister. It was too late. Seeing no other road for him, he risked dismissal from the man that put him here. Despite weaker military skill, Enver Pasha was the greater power. Liman's whole presence here was on sufferance, based off no one else being better at the duty. Cursing himself in his mind, he turned back to the devilish smile of Enver Pasha.
'Which division?' General Liman said, calm and defeated before pointing to the map. Looking at the map, both the Minister and the General saw the positions of the men in the area. After half a minute, the Minister pointed to the men positioned at Gaba Tepe.
'I will take the 7th Division, from III Corps. The rest are to remain in the Dardanelles in the event that the Allies come here. All other affairs I will leave to you. Godspeed, General. I will take my leave now.'

Left alone, General Otto Liman von Sanders took a deep breath in, before cursing several times. Walking out, half a dozen soldiers stood to stare at the red faced, heavy-breathing German.
'Alright, no one said you could stop moving. Get to it then!' he shouted, before trying to comprehend what he had done.

18th February 1915, White House

'Ah, Mr President, what did you think of it?' asked the director. Breaking away from his earlier thoughts of the day, he looked at D. W. Griffith. Moving his tongue around the inside of his mouth, Woodrow Wilson had to think of something to say.
'I thought it was, a decent film for all its faults. I'm sorry, you'll have to forgive me David, but I was - '
' - What was that?' asked the man down the hallway. Walking towards them was the man that created it all. The book that inspired Birth of a Nation. The man that would inspire thousands to join the revived KKK and thousands more to oppose it.
Thomas Dixon Jr.
Lanky and with a stare, the Baptist minister wanted to know the President's opinion.
'Tell me, Mr President, what does the greatest man on earth think of my, I mean our movie - '
' - My movie you mean,' Griffith said, 'you wrote the book, I filmed it - '
' - Gentlemen,' said Wilson with a whisper, 'I commend the process to make that film. It was, stunning beyond all things. The parts where the picture, they go to black - '
' - The fade-aways - '
' - Yes, the fade-aways, quite well put. But I must be honest with you gentlemen. In recent times I have found myself out of favour with some of the hard-handed things. These, hard-handed things done to promote the normal order of things, I do not favour these.' Wilson finished, trying to word what would be his answer. Standing there, both Griffith and Dixon Jr looked to one another.
'Pardon?' Griffith asked.
'Do not fret, I know what he means.' Dixon Jr said.
'What, don't you like my film?' asked Griffith.
'It's more than that. It seems that President Woodrow Wilson, a good friend of mine, doesn't like it when the niggers get what they deserve - '
' - What I do not like is lynching and the Klu Klux Klan. They are un-American ideals that should not encourage people. Segregation cannot stand without a peace between the races. The whites have their positions and the negro - '
' - the nigger, President Wilson, there's not a single one of them here - '
' - They have theirs. And as for my quotations, you have butchered them in the name of racial discord - '
' - "Racial discord"? Mr President, there's been racial discord since you have been President! We gave them housing, the right to vote, the right away from bondage, the right to serve the public! These things are not for the unintelligent darkies, but for the white man! Mr President, the only right that the "negro" gets is the right to travel back to Africa - '
' - Mr Dixon, I have had enough of your words - '
' - Well, based off your reaction, you haven't had enough, you nigger-lover - ' - How dare you say that to me, how dare you! I have stood here as the most powerful man on earth in the name of segregation and yet you call me that? The quotations used serve nothing but a technical marvel mixed with un-American degeneracies. Such as the Klu Klux Klan and the act of lynching - '
' - Without those two things, what is to stop the nigger from rising up and taking over the South? What is to stop them from doing it - '
' - Get out! I have had enough of your insolence! You may have nothing of my endorsement, you may have none of my sympathy and you may have nothing of my friendship! To the devil you go, Mr Dixon Jr! The sooner you leave this place, the better - '
' - I look forward to seeing the back of you! To get a champion of the white man back into the White House, not some goddamn phony like you!' Dixon Jr. said before he stormed out of the door. Taking in a deep sigh, the President remembered the presence of the director.
'Forgive me, Mr Griffith,' said Wilson, 'it was, a brilliant film. Art by lightning. All those - '
' - Fade-aways - '
' - and all that,' Wilson trailed off, 'I wished I felt better given the circumstances. I heard from overseas of the Russian offensive from Morgenthau and I, I had to think of what the future would hold. I was pressuring myself too much from what Morgenthau said.' Nodding away, Mr Griffith tried as hard as he could to not be sad in the President's presence.
'Mr President, it's not your fault. I suppose that there is, anything that I could do. I mean, what could I do?' Mr Griffith asked him. Looking out to the door, Wilson turned back to the director.
'I do not know. What I do know is that you are capable. My, my attitudes have always been to promote segregation in peaceful manner. Not to, not to go out of the way to demonise the negros. Segregate them, through legal means not violent ones. I believed that the white and the black races of this country would work that way. Not like that film. I'm sorry, but I could not enjoy something so against my heart.' Wilson said.

Offering his hand, Wilson shook hands with the director. D. W. Griffith left that night, bitter and defeated. Wilson himself would urge his private secretary to draft his opinion of the film.

On the 19th February 1915, the New York Times published the President's opinion. This also included the reported shouting match between Wilson and Dixon Jr.
In short, it was damning. In long, it was something of a great change.

On that day, Dixon Jr. and Griffith presented the film at the Raleigh Hotel Ballroom. There was Dixon Jr.'s friend, the Secretary of the Navy. Blatant white supremacist, supporter of lynching and the KKK, Josephus Daniels. With the Secretary's help, the director and Dixon Jr. managed to bring in over 300 people to watch the film.
Another blow to Dixon Jr. and Griffith was Edward D. White, the Supreme Court Chief Justice. Who so happened to be a member of the original KKK in his youth in Louisiana. Already adamant, White confirmed his gripes when he read of the President's opinion. With White's refusal to go, the entire Supreme Court bench refused to go.
The mood dumbed down, given the knowledge of those men between Wilson and Dixon Jr.'s "talk" the night before. Writing a review for Chicago American, Josephus Daniels gave great praise to the film.

When members of the NAACP read the headlines, they purchased as many copies as possible. The 19th February Edition is a part of the NAACP's campaign to boycott and ignore Griffith's film. It wasn't until the 23rd when the National Board of Censorship viewed it for distribution. Viewing the film as a piece of free expression, D. W. Griffith lobbied for its approval. Viewing the film as a piece of promoting the status quo, Thomas Dixon Jr. lobbied for approval. After watching the film and debating it, the board approved the film with a vote of 13 to 10.

When the review finished on the 24th, the NAACP issued pamphlets. These would have the New York Times's recording of Wilson's opinion and the shouting match. "If President Wilson thinks this film is Anti-American, why should you watch it?" was one of the great quotations, which was not corrected until Wilson's death in 1920. He regarded in private his displeasure for the Klu Klux Klan and for lynching, but not for the film itself. With the message in bold spread far and wide, it was also accompanying a recruitment drive. By the end of the year 1916, the NAACP would have a total of 40,000 members compared to 6,000 in 1914. The backlash proved to be a shot in the arm for the NAACP.

On the 1st March 1915, a total of 1,000 NAACP members picketed the entrance to the premiere. The Liberty Theatre on Times Square, New York City, was the place for the premiere. The theatre showed the film to a full and packed house, with some in the isles so desperate to see it.

Now, a moment, if you will (a break from the narrative). The subject matter was far beyond acceptable boundaries. Yet, I cannot deny the impact of technique or filming that this production had. I will defend it against censorship, but I do not have to like it. Now, back to the good stuff.

Having watched the film, there were diverging opinions. There were those exposed to the new medium, transfixed by the special effects. There were those involved in white supremacy liking the film. This was in spite of its obvious revisionism. There were those, of the more liberal minded view, that abhorred the blatant bias. 17 of the latter walked out halfway through the movie. As the public left, one of the more venomous members managed to push away one of the protestors. Without a word, he had himself pushed onto the ground. With no one owning up to anything, several of the viewers attacked the protestors.

For the next three hours, close to 8,500 people assaulted and bruised each other. In the Brooklyn area, African-Americans had become targets of white supremacists. A total of 600 policemen had to intervene, as well as Good Samaritans, to try and prevent the spread of the violence. This was before efforts failed and the violence spread to the rest of the city. This would become known as the Times Square Race Riot, based off where it started. From the 1st - 3rd March, a total of 29,000 people caught themselves in the fighting. During this time, Governor Charles Seymour Whitman ordered the state National Guard. A total of 12,000 militiamen mobilised on the night of the 2nd, before marching into the streets. With many citizens moving out of their way, others began to resist. In the middle of the fighting, white supremacists gathered to commemorate the riots. These 29 men formed the "White Man's Redemption Front" on the 2nd inside Liberty Theatre. By the time that the National Guard reached Times Square on the 3rd, a total of 700 men gathered to resist them. Armed with knives and pistols, they faced the well armed and well trained militia.

At 10:25am, a shot went off. No one admitted responsibility, even in the trial or even after the fact. When it went off, one of the National Guardsmen dropped dead. Advancing forward, they unleashed a torrent of gunfire, with another 12 men dead. Charging forward, the men faced bayonets and close-quarters gunfire. By 10:38am, only 149 men were still alive compared to only 28 of the Guardsmen dying.

By midday that day, Governor Whitman was able to declare an end to the riots. A total of 851 deaths recorded, with 11,053 injuries recorded. Arrest warrants numbered well over 10,000, which would be in the courts for the first half of the year. The costs to the city amounted to $10,000,000, more than the infamous New York Draft Riots of 1863.

Upon hearing the news, President Wilson offered his condolences. He was lukewarm unlike the message he gave following his confrontation with Dixon. Following the details of the violence, Booker T. Washington in Boston urged for a boycott of the film. The NAACP would have success in having Chicago, St. Louis and Cincinnati ban the broadcast of the film. They would follow states like Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire and Wisconsin. The news of the Times Square Race Riot went around the country, with opinions divided on the matter. Those that were already apprehensive would not go. Despite this, the film was popular in the South as well as the broader country.

Profits of the film from Epoch Producing Co. would be $2.4 million dollars. This would mean that the film would make around $27,000,000 at the box office by 1917. It would have had a larger share, if not for the outbreak among other things. It would be the most successful silent film with no other reaching its profits. It would also hold the title of most successful film. That is, until Orson Welles' Caesar came out on the 16th March 1938, to earn $191,000,000 by 1942.

Birth of a Nation would contain itself within the American mindset for all time. In the year 1980, President Heston would approve of its entry as part of the National Film Registry. He argued, in the name of better race relations, that it was better to see evil than to hide it.

D. W. Griffith had shock from the violence as well as backlash to the film. Having felt justified to tell the story, he would draft a new film. But his relationship with Dixon Jr. felt that it was responsible for his public downfall. Both men would have a reasonable split by the end of the year.

As for Thomas Dixon Jr., he had outrage over the reaction -
' - Why did they do that? Why did Mr Washington say all that about me? Doesn't he know that I am his best friend? The man who could educate him and all his, niggers, to act civilised instead of looting and raping New York City.' he said to himself. Packing all his belongings, he and his family would move away. Away from New York City, where his own face had presented itself on every street corner thanks to the NAACP. Instead, he and his family would go somewhere, anywhere.
Travelling by train out of the city, he would ponder on his work. Despite the riot, he was a rich man. Despite the content of the film, he was a well known man. Despite the beliefs he held, he was a popular man. Looking down, he saw the sketches drawn of The Clansmen. Admiring them and remembering his youth, his eyes lit up.
If Thomas Dixon Jr. couldn't promote the heroism of the KKK on the film, then he would promote it another way. He would do it another way.

He would promote them himself. Thomas Dixon Jr., the first Grand Wizard of the Revived, Renewed KKK

***********************************************************************************

Okay, so that is what happened in February 1915.

1. Couldn't help myself with the title. I'm not a fan of either men, but I could not resist the title.

2. ATL Sarikamish and Erzurum lead to Enver Pasha demanding troops for the east. The Allies have not attacked the fortresses yet, which is bad, but it does not alert the defenders yet. During this time, the Russians will be dealing with the Second Battle of the Masurian Lakes as it would in OTL. But the news of the destruction of the 3rd Army in ATL will come by the end of the month.

3. Clashes between Sanders and Enver Pasha occurred in real life. At least Sanders manages to keep Mustafa Kemal by his side. Pasha would start the order to send Armenians away a few days earlier than OTL.

4. US consuls within the Ottoman Empire would know of Russian victory as quick as Enver Pasha. These men would pass it on to Henry Morgenthau Snr (the father of the man who wanted to destroy Germany in WW2). As the Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, Morgenthau could pass on the message to Wilson. As he contemplates this, he also has to deal with Dixon Jr. and Griffith. Wilson was personal in hating the act of lynching as well as the KKK despite being a segregationist. Griffith would find it more distasteful that the public would oppose a film with such force. Meanwhile, Thomas Dixon Jr. wonders why the African-Americans don't like him. While that occurs, he is stating that the Reconstruction Amendments were "insane".

5. The opinion of the President would change. The confrontation between Dixon Jr. and Wilson never occurred in OTL. This would be enough to allow the entire Supreme Court to miss it, as well as the Cabinet save for Josephus Daniels.

6. An alt-New York Draft Riots scenario over a film would scare people off more than a campaign by the NAACP. Not disliking what they did, they tried their hardest, but it would miss a lot more of the audience.

7. Because of the faltering revenue and fallout from the riot, Thomas Dixon Jr. leaves New York City. The last words are as subtle as a brick.

8. I hope I don't get kicked because of the word that I mentioned. I hoped to show the horrible Dixon Jr. the"professional" tenor Wilson. This is despite the latter being a segregationist like Dixon Jr.

I hope that this was worth the work. No doubt that the events coming up will be, different.

Anyway, have a good read, see anything you like or anything like that. I'll see you all again soon. Have a good one.

Last edited:
Hope Must Arrive, Even At Great Cost To Them And To You
11th March 1915

Taking a sip from his canteen, Clarence Ussher quenched his thirst after having lunch. Horovats was something he had attraction to the moment he sunk his teeth in. Pork kebabs, green peppers, tomatoes and eggplant. It was now something that the American missionary was liking in his part of the world. Not the same as sirloin steak and chips or apple pie, but delicious.
'Mr Ussher, there's a man that's speaking in the city square. It's the governor.' The Armenian said. Waddling and elderly, Sograd Kezerian was the teacher of one of the schools of the city. Part of Ussher's missionary work was to work with the little children. Hearing their stories of their part of the world, Ussher was to teach them hope and courage. That Jesus Christ all promised salvation to those that sought forgiveness. Looking at the Armenian, Ussher slowed his step to not show off -
' - No, no, go on Mr Ussher. It would be better motivate me given the circumstances.' said Mr Kezerian.
'Well, I have heard of what the Russians did in Erzurum, I am not so sure of the Turks and their - '
' - Fury? They have all that and more, Mr Ussher. You Americans are lucky. You fought for your freedoms. Here, we don't have freedom. We must submit to the Sultan and to the Ottoman Empire. We do not have a "We The People" to throw around. Do not weep for us, Mr Ussher. Weep for the Turks, for what they could do.' said Mr Kezerian, lamenting his situation. Taking in a deep breath, Mr Ussher walked to the crowd of people. Men were there. Women were there. Children were there.

Standing on a makeshift platform flanked by guards was Jevdet Bey, the governor of the Van vilyet. With his authority, he would have control over the city as well as the surrounding area. This included the Armenian population.
'People,' said the governor, 'the barbarous Russians have gone and slaughtered our brave men. The great stock of our Empire have shuffled away by the monsters of the infidel Tsar. I am traumatised by what has occurred in Erzurum and Sarikamish, shocked and appalled. The destruction of the 3rd Army is something which must resolve itself one way or another. As the governor of this city and the vilyet, I hereby declare an order of conscription - '
' - Liar!' shouted one woman in shrouds within the crowd. Her voice drowned out by the sounds of the crowd, Mr Ussher looked to see not defiant voices but fearful voices. That they were not snarling dogs ready to bite but squealing sheep looking at a hungry wolf.
Calling them back to order, the governor asserted order once again.
'The call is not negotiable. I am compelled by Enver Pasha, the Minister of War, to conscript 10,000 able-bodied men to the front - '
' - It will never happen!' shouted Sograd Kezerian from the back. As the last syllable left his lips, the governor saw him. Upon seeing the governor look to him, Mr Kezerian swallowed spit and his pride. Mr Ussher looked at the man and the man turned to Mr Ussher.
'10,000 men will deliver themselves to me by midday tomorrow, or I will force them out myself.' said the governor. Dismissing the people, the governor stood down from the platform and made his way through. Flanked by guards, he stood near Mr Ussher and Mr Kezerian. Standing tall with a fez, the governor snorted in the presence of the old Armenian.
'I say it once, I'll say it again. Not one person in ten thousand will agree to your plan - '
' - You have no choice about the matter, old man. And besides, you'd be exempt. Unless you - '
' - Governor Bey, I must protest this matter. I say this as a man that has known you since childhood. Stop this, in the name of God. They have done - '
' - What they have done, missionary, is the absolute crime. The one that every nation fears. A minority stabbing us in the back. That is what the Armenians have done. 10,000 men who prove themselves loyal to the Sultan and to the Empire is what we must have. One way or another, Mr Ussher.' said the Governor.

Later that night, he was having dinner with Elizabeth, his faithful wife.
'I am troubled by what the Governor said today.' he said, finishing his plate.
'Since when have you not? This man is uprooting everything that could help the Armenians - '
' - Eliza, it's more than that,' he started, 'it's something else. It, it feels like my insides tremble when I see that man. That vengeance is all I see in that man. That forgiving that man would mean nothing. All because this has been, a test - '
' - A test? Of what Clarence, tell me? Of faith - '
' - An actual test. As if 1908 was the start and the war was another one and this is another. If I bow down and do nothing, if I do not show him for what he is, then it would all mean nothing - '
Opening the door, Mr Kezerian walks through.
' - Forgive me, Mr and Mrs Ussher, but the local leadership wished to give a counter offer to the Turks.' Standing up, Mr Ussher looks to the man.
'What did they say?'
'Well, Mr Ussher, they said they would offer only 500 men and they would pay for the exemption of the other 9,500 men - '
' - Does the governor know?'
'We need to be careful, Clarence. The soldiers in the streets, I do not trust them - '
' - We will be fine. What we need to know is what the authorities will say. What will they think about this?' Clarence said to Mr Kezerian.
'Given what they have done to us in the past, I do not want to answer it. But I'm sorry, for telling you - '
' - Sograd, please, do not say sorry. You are one of the most reliable men I have outside of the hospital. I appreciate the time we have.' Clarence said, before both men shook hands.
'God bless you sir, and you Elizabeth. Thank you - '
' - Be careful - '
' - Mr Ussher. I have been careful with these men for my life. I will not fear their words. It's their bullets that will mess with me.' said the old Armenian, before he closed the door.

12th March 1915

' - Slow down, Mr Kezerian, what happened?'
'My sister, she was walking down the street and some, Circus men - '
' - Circassians - '
' - They walked up to her and tried to get a feel of her. Before I know it, two men are wrestling with these soldiers and they get shot. I managed to pull her away, but she may have something wrong with her arm - '
' - Send her in, we'll see what we can do. In the meantime, stay away from those men. I know how much you hate them, but it is not for us to decide - '
' - Clarence, we've got another person in. He's bleeding from the shoulder - '
' - Send him in! Get him now! I am so sorry - '
' - I'll bring her in, okay.' said Sograd, before he tried to run as fast as he could. In these pressuring times, other things mattered. What was one case of a bullet wound became more and more. More men with bullets in their guts and their legs, held aloft on stretchers by their fellow men.
'What the hell has happened?' Clarence asked each of the stretcher men, before they escaped to the outside to get more men. As the patients rose, he kept asking the question. But as the bullets revealed themselves, so did the answer.
10,000 men who prove themselves loyal to the Sultan and to the Empire is what we must have. One way or another, Mr Ussher.
With revelation at hand, he worked at twofold speed to treat every man and woman and child that came in.

One way or another, Mr Ussher.

18th March - OPERATION ILLIAD, 12:03pm

'Down boys, now.' said the helmsman, as he was the first man to get into the boat. .
Patting George's back, Arthur was taking in a deep breath. 'I don't know what these bastards are going to do - '
' - They'll wave their white flags. They'll do it if they know what's good for them.' George said, as he managed to get into the boat. Once forty men were in, they started. Bit by bit, the men rowed in the midday sk -
' - Jesus Christ, what was - '
' - Don't worry lads, it was one of our ships, we're getting close,' said the helmsman, 'now, we're here to get off as quick as possible! We're landing at S Beach, so that means we're closer to the top. Whatever happens, run, shoot straight and run. None of this "standing your ground" shit. We're going to fucking run. Okay!'
'Yes!' the men said, as they tried to put in more power. Their boat was one of three dozen, ready to land on shore. Stroke by stroke, they were getting closer.
'Now, in twenty metres, we should be fine, we need every man of you to get on the beach. Lets go!'
'Yes!' the men said. Seeing the shallow water, the oars were down and rifles up.
'Forward me! Onward t - ' said the helmsman, before a rifle bit through his neck. Dropping into the water, Arthur Jones and George Challis sloshed onto shore. Having no clear thought, the two men became part of the first wave. Like any football game before today, they ran towards the shore with a great fury. What was two men became twenty, what was twenty became fifty. What was an idea in a Frenchman became a legend.

Operation Illiad had begun.

18th March, Seddülbahir fortress, 12:58pm

'Keep firing, I order you!' said the commander of the 57th. Written for new orders, Hüseyin Avni Bey was pacing around trying to find as much ammunition as possible.
Hearing the rattle of the guns, he looked out to see its majesty. To see the foreign men drop down onto the shores, it was glorious. It would be for a man like Bey if he was not focussed on the one o -
- BOOM
All around him, this fortress was a death trap. Each moment now, the sounds of the structure around him almost gave him a fear of the inevitable.
'I take it that the ships of the Royal Navy are pounding us.' said the commander, to one of the machine gunn -
' - No sir, not the British.' said a man sighting the horizon. Taking a look for himself, Bey stepped away from the view. Struck with the realisation, he -
- click, click, click
'Sir, we have run out of ammunition - '
' - Then find some - '
' - There is none left.' said the machine gunner. Looking back, that battering flag from the boats comes forth.
The Greeks made it to the sh-
- BOOM
'Everyone leave, we take the high ground!' shouting to the rest of the men.

Out on the slopes, the 293 surviving men fired on the oncoming Greeks. 293 versus a total of 5,000 men with more on the way.
'Die, infidels!' shouted one of the soldiers in haste. Having no other call, the men shouted it again and again as they fired at the Greeks. With every ounce of their being, they held onto the place as a few men dropped down.
'Die, infidels!'
'Die, infidels!'
'Die, infidels!'
'Die, infidels!'
'Die, infidels!'
'Die, infidels!'
'Die, infidels!'
'Die, infidels!'
'Di - '
- Click
One rifle spent the last round. Then another. Then another. Every man had no more shots -
' - Fix bayonets!' shouted Bey. Snarling at the men was in vain, as the Greeks marched forward with more of them coming in. But let it stand for all time. Not one man of the 57th retreated. They stood their ground to the last.

No words came from the commander, as the rounds went through his neck and face.

Peace came to him at last, as he died among his men. Though they would not stand to mourn, the 57th Regiment would live on in the hearts of the men that day.

Further on lay a Turkish soldier from the sudden rush of Greeks heading towards Krithia. In his tight fist was an order. One derived from Mustafa Kemal, the commanding officer of the 19th Division.
It reads:
I do not order you to fight, I order you to die. In the time which passes until we die, other troops and commanders can come forward and take our places.

18th March, 5th Army HQ, 1:56pm

' - What the hell is going on!' General Liman shouted down the telephone.
'They are everywhere - '
' - Whose they?' Liman asked with fury.
'General Liman, the British are here. The French are here and the Greeks. Everywhere is being pushed back. Krithia is overrun - '
' - Take it back then - '
- BOOM
Looking out into the air, he shuddered at the thought of one of those planes dropping a round right near -
' - I cannot do that -
' - Why not!' the General asked, with the urge to scream in his native tongue restrained for the moment.
'Suvla Beach had over twenty thousand French soldiers land and we had no chance with the naval bombard -
' - Where the hell are you?'
'I am at Gaba Tepe. The Allies have congregated almost all their ships here. They are going to send us to heaven, General - '
' - Then send them to hell!' General Liman ended the communication. With a few more bombs going over their heads, Liman stomps his feet and growls in German. As this occurs, the men around him try and seek cover. I hope that you are happy, Enver Pasha. I hope that you are fucking happy with what you have done to me!

210,000 men from the British Empire, the French Empire and the Kingdom of Greece. This was the third largest naval invasion of coastline in human history. This was only bested by Operation Downfall in 1946 and Operation Hellwalker in 1975. To state that Operation Illiad was mythical would be an understatement. It was the collective power of the following nations:
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and her colonies and Dominions
The Third Republic of France and her colonies
The Kingdom of Greece

Operation Illiad was to rely on both the naval landings and naval bombardments. The British would land at:
- S and Y Beach at Cape Helles
- Gaba Tepe (The entire 22,000 ANZAC force would land here)

The French at:
- Suvla Beach
- Kum Tepe

The Greeks would land at:
- X and V Beach at Cape Helles

All while the landings occurred, every ship had its orders to bombard the shores. Not one ship was to stop firing, until they saw Allied troops take the high positions. Forts, troop gatherings, machine gun posts. The estimated shelling from the ships caused for 41% of the reported deaths of defenders.
The bombardments would occur at 11:45am, as men were being lowered down into their boats. At 11:50am, the order came to row. Over 4,200 boats crafted for the attack, several rowers had to face the gunfire more than once. 2 out of every 5 boats happened to be stuck onto the shore, with only 27 boats making more than one hundred trips. One helmsman, Bernard Freyburg, subjected himself to two hundred and fifty two trips. For this, he would receive the Victoria Cross (one of 21 awarded for Operation Illiad) and a knighthood in 1918.

By 1:55pm, Cape Helles was secure, with ANZAC soldiers managing to reach the heights of Gaba Tepe. The 19th Division under Mustafa Kemal held the line for as long as he could.

By 2:30pm, all places were secure in spite of such great deaths. With news of the defences, General Liman ordered a retreat of all remains forces from the 5th Army. Out of the men that defended, only the 26th and 27th Infantry Regiments (9th Ottoman Division) survived. Even with those men, the 26th had only 900 men while the 27th reduced itself to 400 unarmed men. This was from the European side of the Dardanelles only. The only untouched men are XV Corps under Hans Kannengiesser on the Asiatic coastline. Hearing the news, Kannengiesser conflicted about the order. To follow it, Kannengiesser reasoned, would leave the Asiatic coastline exposed. To disobey it, Liman argued, would mean Constantinople would have the Allies take it quicker.

By 10pm that night, all Ottoman forces south of Gallipoli had surrendered. Field Marshal Ian Hamilton landed on shore.

10:01pm, Gaba Tepe.

'Look at this place. What do you see?' Hamilton said to the men he disembarked with and those that were on the beach.
'The act of brave men.' said the commander of the 1st ANZAC Division, Edmund Allenby.
'What are we going to do about the casualties?' Hamilton asked his men
'Casualties? Field Marshall, we should not be so concerned about the cost - '
' - Thank you, Hunter-Weston, but your duty is to furnish supplies and nothing else, am I understood?' Hamilton said to Aylmer, a man who Kitchener wanted out of the picture long before Hamilton knew the plan.
'What is the shape of your men, Allenby?'
'The men are out of shape, given what has happened. A good march to Gallipoli to harry the last of them should revive their spirits. As long as their feet touch this ground, the effort will be worth it. We will be in Constantinople before Christmas, I should say - '
' - Be careful about that. That's what they said about last year - '
' - Keep to your place, soldier!' Hunter-Weston shouted, looking at one of the men clearing up the dead.
Kicking the sand, Allenby looked to the sea. 'Somewhere out there, my son is facing the Germans. Do you think he would be alright?' Moving to meet Allenby, Hamilton put a hand on his shoulder.
'We will march on Constantinople, then you can march to your son. Of course, we will have to fight a war to do this, but we will do it.' said Hamilton, as the men moved up to the dry land.

6:08am, 19th March, Gaba Tepe.

'How many more to get done?' asked one man on horse.
'Who asks?' one of the soldiers on foot asked, hauling one of the dead on a stretcher.
'Walter Kinghorn, 4th Light Horse Regiment. I'm curious, that's - '
' - Bother someone else.' said one of the men. Gritting his teeth, the Byaduk farmer rode off full kilter.
Turning back to their work, the soldiers lifted one soldier onto the wooden stretcher. The eyes had sunken in the skull, the flesh purple and grey from the waters. The blood from his face dark and like bile. The brain was there, all in its grey and blood-ravaged majesty. Close to the sight of the brain, the men looked away and breathed in deep, trying to not vomit. Looking away, they saw another body lifted u -
' - Watch it!' without a warning, the body falls down with a crunch.

Final record of Operation Illiad, as recorded in the year 2005. This is with courtesy by the ANZAC War Memorials of Canberra and Wellington.

Total forces: 210,000 Allied troops
- 100,000 British soldiers, including 22,000 ANZAC soldiers
- 60,000 French soldiers
- 50,000 Greek soldiers
vs
~28,000 Ottoman troops (2/3rds of a Corps. Corps = 41,000 men plus 6,700 animals)

British casualties: 27,868
British missing: 12
British deaths: 22,055
- Australian casualties: 3,827
- Australian missing: 5
- Australian deaths: 3,002
- New Zealander casualties: 1,106
- New Zealander missing: 7
- New Zealander deaths: 1,316

French casualties: 21,003
French missing: 41
French deaths: 19,677

Greek casualties: 20,078
Greek missing: 15
Greek deaths: 24,991

Total Allied casualties: 73,882
Total Allied deaths: 71,041
Total Allied missing: 80

Ottoman casualties: 19,045 wounded and captured, with 1,500 escaping.
Ottoman deaths: 7431 deaths
Ottoman missing: 24

Total casualties: 92,927 wounded, with 19,045 POWs included.
Total deaths: 78,472
Total missing: 104 missing

Close to 80,000 dead overall. Well, it wasn't going to be easy.

Though I threw more men into the fight, it didn't make it cleaner at all.

Anyway, the references are there. Some to point out:

1. Clarence Ussher and his wife will see in OTL and ATL the frontline of the Armenian Genocide.

2. Henry Morgenthau Snr, US Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, is going to deal with this.

3. He is going to contend with these men:
Djemal Pasha - Minister for Navy
Enver Pasha - Minister for War
Talaat Pasha - Grand Visier and Interior Minister

All were responsible for the Armenian Genocide.

4. Bernard Freyburg would in OTL receive the DSO for swimming under fire to light flares to distract the defenders from the real landings. He would also become New Zealand's Governor-General later on.

5. Walter Kinghorn, my namesake, would redeploy as the 4th Light Horse would move for Operation Illiad. He would in OTL die at the Battle of Beersheba on the 31st October 1917 by a rifle bullet to the heart. I say this because, in real life, he is my great-grandmother's brother. I don't know what he looks like, what he sounds like, but I do know this:
- Presbyterian (WMIT would like it better than the guy behind the computer, a Catholic Infee)
- Unmarried (scratch the last bit)
- 29 when he died (on second thoughts, never mind)
- A dairy farmer.

6. This is where the TL will kick up a notch, where the work will change instead of bits and pieces here and there.

7. Whether this leads to an earlier end, I'm not too sure right now. But General Liman lives to fight another day. Mustafa Kemal gets captured, just so you know.

Anyway, I hope that this was good. I've got to go to sleep now and work in 9 hours' time.

Thanks.

Wow! Lots to catch up on, so the Italians are being bribed but like the Ente's offerings more, especially as the Germans have no real way of supporting those claims they're offering. The political backstabbing and bickering has now lead to a force of 210,000 men making what sounds like good progress. The diversion of troops to face the Russians is now having critical effect and the Adriatic side of the straight seems to have fallen largely into Allied hands.
The situation in Armenia sounds like its going to break into a civil war.

But great stuff!

Wow! Lots to catch up on, so the Italians are being bribed but like the Ente's offerings more, especially as the Germans have no real way of supporting those claims they're offering. The political backstabbing and bickering has now lead to a force of 210,000 men making what sounds like good progress. The diversion of troops to face the Russians is now having critical effect and the Adriatic side of the straight seems to have fallen largely into Allied hands.
The situation in Armenia sounds like its going to break into a civil war.

But great stuff!

Thanks @steamboy
The Italians are being bribed with the OTL Allied propositions and they will be offered a slice of Turkey following the success of Operation Illiad. The manpower of the invasion will make great progress following the 25th March, but the body count will be distasteful to some. More on that later.
As for the diversion of troops, the Russians will be fighting harder against a renewed Ottoman assault. Once more, I am stating that the Armenian Genocide will occur. They ways things are going, there won't be a "work to death" sort of strategy. Instead, it will be a blatant killing spree. Think of 1993 Rwanda.

The Dardanelles is in the Aegean Sea, not the Adriatic. But the comment is appreciated. :)

It's St. Louis, not Lewis...

Interesting set of updates, though...

Thanks for the comment. Has been corrected, rookie mistake but better this one than something bigger.

All comments appreciated. Thank you all.

To All Men That Have Fought That Grim Day, I Say Long May You Live With The Eternal Father, Amen.
To All Men That Have Fought That Grim Day, I Say Long May You Live With The Eternal Father, Amen.
- Pope Adrian V, addressing the 100th Anniversary of Operation Illiad in Gallipoli.

21st March 1915, Gallipoli, Headquarters of the Allied Mediterranean Expeditionary Force (AMEF). 7:14pm

Having finished the cup of tea, Field Marshal Ian Hamilton sat upright at the head of the table. Yesterday he dealt with the French and the most of his British contingents. Now, he was dealing with the 1st and 2nd ANZAC Divisions, under Allenby and Birdwood each, as well as the Greek force. As the men got settled in their seats, Ian Hamilton had their attention.
'Gentlemen, what we have done in the last four days is nothing less than a monument to our hard work. Not us alone, but also the hard work of every man that joins the cause. As of now, the Ottomans must shriek in fear. They may, they may not, it doesn't matter. What concerns me is the dead. I saw the carnage at Gaba Tepe myself. Hunter-Weston - '
' - Sir?' Aylmer asked the Field Marshal.
'What are the numbers?' the Field Marshal asked, not being so naive in the face. He saw the men that were now lain down on the beaches, he saw the bodies carried off to burial places.
'As of now, we count sixty thousand dead. All the dead are our own, Field Marshal.'
Taking a deep breath, Field Marshal Hamilton puts his hands on his face.
'Sixty thousand. Am I right in saying that?' he said, before shaking his head. Kitchener, you showed me the way in doing this. If only you gave me more about breaking into Thrace and Constantinople.
'Field Marshal,' said the promoted General Allenby, 'if I may say this. What those men have done in one day, with such great force, triumphs over the ten years of siege that Troy suffered. Achilles, Odysseus and Menelaus were not able to breach the walls until they were in a horse. Every man out there should be proud for what they have done. I am proud to be a British man, to know that the Empire has raised such men from its soil, onwards and upwards towards glory - '
' - Well put, General,' said Hamilton, 'as much as I would sing of glory and pride, the fight remains present and clear. General Liman has retreated far from any confrontation. Our airplanes and the captured ones at 5th Army HQ, have found him in Tekirdag. General Paraskevopoulos, your duty is to march the Greeks as soon as possible. The 4th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Light Horse Regiments from Birdwood will scout ahead for any surprises. The 1st, 9th and 10th will remain here, in case XV Corps crosses over from the Asiatic side. The artillery will come from the French Division and they will follow alongside. The local Armenians will receive arms as well as support. They are the receive protection. A message from Ambassador Morgenthau has stated that the Ottomans have already begun... - '
' - What sir? Begun what?' Birdwood asked him.
'According to Morgenthau, Armenians have to force march out of towns by order of the Turks. An American, a Mr Ussher, he wrote of the city of Van being under siege - '
' - My God. It's not an even match, is it?' Allenby asked.
'General Allenby, it appears no great amount of information has shown itself. Now, the 1st ANZAC Division will advance along the coastline before pushing northwards. If there are no great forces, Allenby will swing east while we continue on the coast. It is vital that Admiral Carden clears those mines before the Ottomans can reinforce Constantinople. We must aim to be there by December this year. We must break the siege in no more than forty days. That should be enough to bring more ships to bear or more soldiers and shells. Whatever happens, we cannot afford to lose the ground we've got. Understood?'
'Yes, Field Marshal.' said every man in the room, before Hamilton dismissed them.

The aftermath of any battle is grim. The aftermath of Operation Illiad was something else.

On every beach that had a committed assault, bodies were everywhere on the beach. And so were the organs. Medical crews had to use a total of 15,000 ordinary soldiers to collect the war dead of both sides. Under strict orders from Field Marshal Ian Hamilton, robbing from the dead was not to occur. The ANZACs respected this rule. The British troops feared it given their punishments. The French had no reason to do it and the Greeks ignored it. The main items stolen were food (sometimes covered in blood and fluids), Korans as well as trinkets. The "Gallipoli Collection" in the National Museum of War, Corinth, was the home to 9,000 items taken from Turkish defenders and tents. It was the subject of bad Turkish-Greek relations, which turned for the worst when a Russo-German air raid in 1942 destroyed almost all artefacts save for 45 pieces. Upon the ascension of King Philip I in 1947, these artefacts were returned to the Second Ottoman Empire.

Every man posted to collecting the bodies would have to be lift the body with two other people. Time was of the essence. Men would discover gaseous bodies swelling up, flesh green or grey, gangrene or bile coming out of mouths. Rushing every man onto the stretchers, they would reach the high ground to then bury them. All those dismembered had makeshift burials. It was not until 2013 when DNA analysis found that several body parts had placed in the incorrect place. This was after a Greek soldier's head buried with body parts matching a French private. Rectified at the 100th Anniversary. Overseen by Pope Adrian V and world leaders, the bodies matched together once more according to DNA tests.

Supplies would come in on the 19th, from Greece. Fresh food and drink, for all the surviving men. They would cheer and celebrate for as long as they could before order restored itself to normal. A total of 25,000 Greek and British troops would arrive in replacing the wounded from the 19th to the 28th. A total of 19,830 Allied soldiers had discharges. These were on the grounds of severe wounds, amputations and scars to their bodies.

In the meantime, General Liman rushed back to Constantinople with his men in tow.

25th March 1915, Constantinople, 12:07pm

Opening the door, the angry yet defeated German walked to the Grand Vizier. Looking over the release of all criminals, Talaat Pasha did not notice his presence. Tapping the table, the General got the attention of the most powerful man in the Ottoman Empire.
'Ah, General Liman,' said Talaat Pasha the Grand Vizier, 'to what I owe this - '
' - You owe me one division of men! Not you alone, but you and that goddamn Enver! He ruined me, Grand Vizer. No, you have ruined me as well! You did nothing to stop him from enacting our greatest plan - '
' - No, that is not true.' said a voice at the door, calm and corrective of the General. Turning around, Liman saw him. The man who upstaged him, destroyed him and humiliated him.
Enver Pasha, the Minister of War. Tightening his fists, the German stormed forward.
'You dog! You filth from your mother's cunt! You have destroyed the only ch - '
Seeing the pistol pointed at him, the German tightened in his chest and body. With a smile, the Minister of War cocked the pistol.
'I'm sorry General, I interrupted your concentration. Please continue, let this "filth from a mother's - "'
' - Enver! Please, enough of this stuff.' the Grand Vizier said.
'Of course, Grand Vizier.' said Enver before he placed the pistol back into the holster.
'Forgive me, Grand Vizier. I had no choice but express my grievance. It is not a normal day when thousands of men arrive and there is no chance to defend. Less than 2,000 men arrived with me in haste. There is no army between Gallipoli and Constantinople - '
' - There will be,' Enver Pasha said, 'General Liman, for the brilliant duty of holding the enemy back, you will receive a new command. The Army of Constantinople. It will be the skeleton force of 2,000 as well as any number of men that will kit themselves out for you.' Looking to the Grand Vizier, General Liman hoped for something else.
'Am I allowed to call for men myself - '
' - No. You will receive men that I offer to you. All forces under your command will be first cleared by me. You will have two divisions of men with ten artillery pieces. As our other problems finish, more men will deliver themselves to you. Whether they are gendarmerie or experienced, that will not concern you for the moment. Will you accept this? You will have pay of up to a million lira a year. I don't know the conversion rate, but that is a lot.' said Enver Pasha. Taking in a deep breath, the General closed his eyes and rubbed sleep from his eyes.
'If I beat them back, may I have carte blanche power?' the General asked. To suggest that to the two greatest men in his world would almost push the boundaries with his authority. Given his ability, he had to be useful, he had to be with them. Without him, both men would be in a Greek dungeon awaiting execution.
'One moment, can you excuse yourself from the room?' Talaat Pasha asked the General. Bowing his head, he walked out of the door. Awaiting the decision, the General decided to try and listen. Seeing how they were talking too fast, he shook his head and stood quiet.

25th March 1915, Athens, 6:36pm

Looking at the prewritten letter, the Prime Minister and the rest of his cabinet stood to face the King. Not him alone. There was the Crown Prince from the Dardanelles, Prince Alexander and Prince Andrew.
'Is this final, Your Majesty?' asked Venizelos. Without hesitation, the balding King nodded.
'My decision has no more of a place in this world than I do. It has been an honour to serve, but I must not serve while the nation goes the way I do not want it - '
' - That is only because - '
' - Enough, Prime Minister,' said Prince Andrew, 'there cannot be anything partisan about this matter.' Moving his tongue inside his mouth, the Prime Minister nodded.
'It signifies that I am to renounce all titles to the Kingdom of Greece, all monies and privileges. My eldest son - '
' - I have made this choice,' said the Crown Prince, 'my duty to my father countermands the demand for a King. If he does not serve, neither do I.' Silence took hold of the throats of every man, all the eyes staring at one another. Royal to commoner, commoner to royal, royal to royal and commoner to commoner. Clearing his throat, the Prime Minister looked to the youngest man here.
'And what of you, sire? Will you serve by the Greek people?'
'Ah - '
Putting a hand on his son's shoulder, the King looked to his former rival the Prime Minister.
'I have lived with the shame of going against my nation. I will not have another by my son marrying a commoner. That is final.' said the King.
Turning to the last man, the Prime Minister asked.
'Will you join th - '
' - No.' said Prince Andrew. Hearing this, the King turned to his brother.
'Why? Why would - '
' - The world was going to give us Constantinople and the Dardanelles, something that Greece has lost no more than six hundred years ago. Greece is the Third Rome. Not Russia. Not the Ottomans. The Kingdom of Greece. We are the Byzantine Empire reborn. We are going to fight this war, against the Ottomans and against the Germans and Austrians. I will accept the crown.' said Prince Andrew, a smiling and proud man to contrast with his bitter and defeated sibling.

1. Adrian V is a fictional version of the Pope. I will not spoil who becomes Pope, except for two hints.
- Adrian V is a British man, based off the OTL Nicholas Breakspear who became Adrian IV. I reckon that's going to be a trope if I keep using it in TL's
- This man, who becomes Pope Adrian V in ATL, is someone known on British TV in OTL.

2. Ian Hamilton would OTL have little understanding of his role. This given how he got the position in a month before the assault. In ATL, Kitchener warmed him up to the role. He knew it except for Kitchener not telling him how to go from the Dardanelles to Constantinople. That is Hamilton's job now.

3. Allenby received his promotion to General on the 20th March 1915. He became Lieutenant General on the 5th March in preparation for Operation Dardanelles.

4. The Russo-German air-raid will be explained soon enough.

5. General Liman had his grudges, but in ATL, it is full blown pissed off. If Enver did not bring out that pistol, he could have his arse handed to him.

6. The reason that troops can't present themselves for Liman is because the Three Pashas have them rounding up Armenians.

7. Prince Andrew, in OTL, was against King Constantine's I neutrality policy for Greece. In ATL, given the success, it motivates him to defy him. Given the brother's enmity with Venizelos, a posh and indifferent nephew and one that "looks embarassing" to the family, Andrew would have the best chance.

8. OTL Prince Philip becomes King of Greece in 1947, with his father being King Andrew I of Greece. This will mean stuff changes a lot.

9. Given the success in ATL, Prince Andrew is going to go hard with the "Third Rome" marketing for the public war effort.

Anyway, that's another update done. Next, we look to the Western Front, to the British Cabinet and we take it from there. Thanks for watching and thanks for commenting.

Have a good one guys, I know I'm having one.

Last edited: