The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he is the Father to TWO POTUS (Joe Jr. and RFK) both of whom were two term residents of the White House, Joe beat the Nazis, RFK was the great tax cutter (down below 80%!) so his rep is pretty solid.

I'd actually be super interested to read a wartime history of American politics. I'd imagine basically every debate ends with "...and of course, the Reich must be destroyed."

Did pre-war involvement in groups like the KKK or expressing racist/fascist views ever become a political litmus test?

I'd actually be super interested to read a wartime history of American politics. I'd imagine basically every debate ends with "...and of course, the Reich must be destroyed."

Did pre-war involvement in groups like the KKK or expressing racist/fascist views ever become a political litmus test?

The HUAC had been intiially created to root out Nazi sympathisers and, given Communism's total failure, I don't think the CPUSA will be investigated so much as that it would be dissolving itself by demissions.

John E. Rankin saying "the KKK is an old American institution" or Theodore Bilbo publishing Take Your Choice: Separation or Mongrelization might have their political careers cut short.

The HUAC had been intiially created to root out Nazi sympathisers and, given Communism's total failure, I don't think the CPUSA will be investigated so much as that it would be dissolving itself by demissions.

John E. Rankin saying "the KKK is an old American institution" or Theodore Bilbo publishing Take Your Choice: Separation or Mongrelization might have their political careers cut short.

I'm pretty sure that when St Patrick hit they were booted before they could say shit

Nearly 2,500 Allied prisoners, and close to 13,000 Axis prisoners (11,000+ of them from “National” militaries) chose to remain in the land of there former enemies.

I thought of this recently for some reason and was curious. Who were the allied prisoners who refused repatriation? What happened to them after the war?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I thought of this recently for some reason and was curious. Who were the allied prisoners who refused repatriation? What happened to them after the war?
Many didn't survive the war. They were, as might be surmised, true believers, mainly of German or Italian ancestry, along with a few others who found the Nazi ideology simply wonderful. They were also seriously distrusted by the Waffen SS chain of command, so they were afforded to opportunity to support the Reich along the frontier with the USSR.

Those that did survive were handled as their individual home countries saw fit. Those who were Polish or from the Baltics (and a few were, mainly airmen) were tried for treason. In the West they were generally given the equivalent of the U.S. Dishonorable Discharge unless it could be demonstrated that they took part in War Crimes. If so they were handed over to the country where the offense(s) took place.

Most of the Axis prisoners were given residency in the UK or U.S.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Hard core racists got to be very unpopular.

Many didn't survive the war. They were, as might be surmised, true believers, mainly of German or Italian ancestry, along with a few others who found the Nazi ideology simply wonderful. They were also seriously distrusted by the Waffen SS chain of command, so they were afforded to opportunity to support the Reich along the frontier with the USSR.

Those that did survive were handled as their individual home countries saw fit. Those who were Polish or from the Baltics (and a few were, mainly airmen) were tried for treason. In the West they were generally given the equivalent of the U.S. Dishonorable Discharge unless it could be demonstrated that they took part in War Crimes. If so they were handed over to the country where the offense(s) took place.

Most of the Axis prisoners were given residency in the UK or U.S.

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the answer.

I can only imagine how the ones who went home after the Reich stopped existing were treated.

Calbear what ever happened with Greenland ITL? I highly doubt it wanted to return to Danish control at the end of the war.
According to this map, it's under US control.
the_anglo_american_nazi_war_by_quantumbranching-d4a68ug.png

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
make it an Icelandic colony...
Greenland was given the same "self determination" option that other areas occupied by the WAllies during the war were presented. Unsurprisingly, given the choice between Uncle Sugar and a Denmark that had been ravaged by the Reich's indiscriminate use of bio-weapons and hit by more than a little fallout, Greenlanders chose the U.S.

It wasn't really that popular with Washington. Greenland is considerably less strategically located in ATL than IOTL, but once the option was out there things gained a life of their own. One of the difficulties is that there is little to no chance that Greenland will ever gain enough population and self sufficiency to become a state.

On that train of thought how are places like Greenland treated if they're not full states? Are they given more rights to get further away from even the thought of calling them colonies?

Greenland was given the same "self determination" option that other areas occupied by the WAllies during the war were presented. Unsurprisingly, given the choice between Uncle Sugar and a Denmark that had been ravaged by the Reich's indiscriminate use of bio-weapons and hit by more than a little fallout, Greenlanders chose the U.S.
Was Canada an option? Would they have been interested?

SsgtC

Banned
On that train of thought how are places like Greenland treated if they're not full states? Are they given more rights to get further away from even the thought of calling them colonies?

While we obviously have to wait for The Word of God here, I'd guess similarly to OTL Puerto Rico. Where the people have full citizenship and the land is unquestionably part of the United States, but the territory has minimal representation in Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.