The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine they're a pariah state like the rest of the former German states.

Are they more likely to pretend that Hitler wasn't born there, and that they eagerly jumped on the Nazi bandwagon?

My dad met an Austrian doctor, and he said that a lot of Austrian people do deny the Holocaust.

nbcman

Donor
I imagine they're a pariah state like the rest of the former German states.

Are they more likely to pretend that Hitler wasn't born there, and that they eagerly jumped on the Nazi bandwagon?

My dad met an Austrian doctor, and he said that a lot of Austrian people do deny the Holocaust.
OTL Austria was considered Germany's first victim by the allies. Why would they think differently in this timeline?
Per this post from CalBear, Austria is limited militarily similar to the German statelets as part of the Barcelona Treaty but the Austrians were not required to pay reparations and their manufacturing limitations were less than the Germans.

Per this post from CalBear, Austria is limited militarily similar to the German statelets as part of the Barcelona Treaty but the Austrians were not required to pay reparations and their manufacturing limitations were less than the Germans.

Which means that, like OTL, it has probably become a breeding ground for many Neo Nazis.

"See, none of that was our fault," says an Austrian politician, "so give us Fuhrer-loving- I MEAN, Freedom-loving Austrians your tourist dollars."

Nevertheless, any place with a vague resemblance to Germanic culture is considered a pariah.

ITTL Austrian has been part of the Großdeutches Reich for at least 20 years. OTL the "Austrians were the first victims" trope was supported by the west after the war to sway Austrian opinion to be pro-west, and also not validate any Soviet claims on Austria. The reality was Austrians generally welcomed the Anschluß - yes not all of them (of course not the Jews). It will be impossible to sell "not our fault" ITTL, and any neo-Nazism, even the slightest hint of the same, will be ruthlessly dealt with by the A4.

ITTL Austrian has been part of the Großdeutches Reich for at least 20 years. OTL the "Austrians were the first victims" trope was supported by the west after the war to sway Austrian opinion to be pro-west, and also not validate any Soviet claims on Austria. The reality was Austrians generally welcomed the Anschluß - yes not all of them (of course not the Jews). It will be impossible to sell "not our fault" ITTL, and any neo-Nazism, even the slightest hint of the same, will be ruthlessly dealt with by the A4.

Oh.

Depending on how brutal fighting in Austria got, yeah, its unlikely that they can get away with that.

I'm assuming then that they are forced to sit and learn in class about how they willingly participated in the death of 100 million people.

There was one question I never got an answer to, @CalBear

How do young Germans ITTL deal with the fact that their ancestors committed the worst atrocities in history? And are they full of unbridled hate for the A4 for keeping them in such dire poverty? Do Germans born in the 1980s blaspheme their parents and grandparents after learning about all their evils?

I would imagine ITTL Germans learning about their history would be a person learning that your family members were psychotic serial killers.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
There was one question I never got an answer to, @CalBear

How do young Germans ITTL deal with the fact that their ancestors committed the worst atrocities in history? And are they full of unbridled hate for the A4 for keeping them in such dire poverty? Do Germans born in the 1980s blaspheme their parents and grandparents after learning about all their evils?

I would imagine ITTL Germans learning about their history would be a person learning that your family members were psychotic serial killers.
The German statelets are not in "dire poverty" They are not the same economic powerhouse that Germany is today for that matter neither are France, Italy or anyone else on the Continent) but they aren't South Sudan either. The statelets have low level industry (toasters, bicycles, etc.), decent health care (largely funded, even in ATL 21st Century, by the A4 & India, simply to ensure the Devil's Brew unleashed by the war doesn't return) and low crime rates (nothing like having professional soldiers around to back up the police). Think Bulgaria.

It is very difficult for the citizen of the German statelets, especially those born after the war. The older ones in that group DO remember dire poverty, all that kept Europe from starving between 1959 and 1963 was K Rations, and a country that was destroyed to a level that OTL 1946 Germany would have seemed to be "not so bad" by comparison.Not the sort of thing you forget. Their kids may have it worse. Not only do they have constant reminders of the consequences of losing the war driving around in "UN" liveried Land Rovers, they all get to visit the Quarantine Zones at least three times between age 12 and 18, complete with the multi-media show in the visitor center. Then there was Stettin.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear, how strong is the Military Industrial Complex in America ITTL compared to OTL?
The A4 IS a military industrial complex.

There are other industries, entertainment, manufacturing, services, finance, just like IOTL, but the focus of the A4 is peace through overwhelming strength. As well as General Dynamics does IOTL, it is peanuts compared to the military spending ATL.

The A4 IS a military industrial complex.

There are other industries, entertainment, manufacturing, services, finance, just like IOTL, but the focus of the A4 is peace through overwhelming strength. As well as General Dynamics does IOTL, it is peanuts compared to the military spending ATL.
Do they have any sort of unified international corporations?

Deleted member 96212

I hate to keep bothering @CalBear with the little details but this is a question/general thought I've been mulling over for days now.

How severe is the crime rates in the post-war nations? Specifically, what are the rates at which serial killings and mass murder take place at? After the devastation of the largest war in human history, there's bound to be more than a few people who are sufficiently disturbed by its effects. I believe you also mentioned that Poland specifically is awash with guns and people who know how to use them, so I imagine that the rate of mass shootings would easily rival that of OTL America. I'd also like to know where Charles Whitman, Howard Unruh, and Richard Speck ended up, since to my knowledge they were all born before the POD. Did they become casualties in the European campaign?

I ask because I have an interest in true crime and things of that nature. Sorry if I got a bit carried away with the questions.

I hate to keep bothering @CalBear with the little details but this is a question/general thought I've been mulling over for days now.

How severe is the crime rates in the post-war nations? Specifically, what are the rates at which serial killings and mass murder take place at? After the devastation of the largest war in human history, there's bound to be more than a few people who are sufficiently disturbed by its effects. I believe you also mentioned that Poland specifically is awash with guns and people who know how to use them, so I imagine that the rate of mass shootings would easily rival that of OTL America. I'd also like to know where Charles Whitman, Howard Unruh, and Richard Speck ended up, since to my knowledge they were all born before the POD. Did they become casualties in the European campaign?

I ask because I have an interest in true crime and things of that nature. Sorry if I got a bit carried away with the questions.
Seeing as Charles Whitman was a marine, the chances of him serving in the war are near certain. However he would only reach the age of 18 in 1959, making it likelier then not he’d end up surviving.

Seeing as his actions were caused by a brain tumour, that could easily be butterflied away. Assuming he survives combat mentally stable and receives psychological treatment for the abuse he received as a child he could have a very sucessful life.

If not he’d probably continue as a marine for several years, before retiring to pursue a career in architecture.

Speaking about the mental health of veterans what happened to Audie Murphy in this timeline, does he still become a voice for those suffering from PTSD and does he survive longer due to him avoiding the plane crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.