The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other difference that I could see is that in the South, the state governments didn't care whether masters slept with slaves and impregnated them as long as the offspring were kept as slaves. The Nazis might view it as inappropriate.

How comparable was life on Reich plantations to the Antebellum South?

Hmm, one dehumanized an entire race or ethnic group, exploited it for labor, and killed thousands of people over the course of decades to centuries (accounting for multi-country use, e.g. USA, Brazil, Spanish West Indies, etc) for the purpose of making money.

The other dehumanized and exploited MULTIPLE racial and ethnic groups, and slaughtered millions in under one decade while at the behest of one government, all too often with the goal of murder FOR ITS OWN SAKE as well as cheap labor.

No sarcasm here, the two IMNSHO aren't comparable beyond a few conceptual touchstones.

I would expect any slave on a Reichs plantation would gladly switch places. While abuses took place, in general plantation owners recognized their slaves as a valuable work force and a significant financial investment. I would expect Nazi slaves who were no longer productive - old, crippled, whatever would be disposed of where this sort of thing was not socially acceptable in the south. Not that plantation slavery in the south was good, right, or pleasant but compared to serving on a Nazi plantation...

And what about this website in this scenario? Would scenarios where WW2 ends in an Allied victory by 1940 or even on its actual date of ending or even 1947 with an Allied Soviet Union to the end be seen as more intriguing?

How popular would timelines where German unification is nipped in the bud (by either Austria or France winning their respective wars with Prussia) be in TTL's AH.Com?

I wonder about the A4 treatment of Germans. Yes, there's never going to be a 'Germany' again, but surely it will be viewed that 'Germanness' is a problem, too, no?
I can see that they wouldn't go so far as to prohibit all printing in German, say; although I could see them going even that far. But surely encouraging them to speak English (probably) or Polish (especially for the eastern statelets) with the idea of ultimately removing a 'German' identity would make a lot of sense in this universe, no?

Even if they don't do that, do they, perhaps, encourage the brightest and ablest young Germans to emigrate - give them scholarships to foreign universities, say, as long as they don't go home later?
Obviously, this would have to wait until the German statelets weren't infectious any longer.

I wonder about the A4 treatment of Germans. Yes, there's never going to be a 'Germany' again, but surely it will be viewed that 'Germanness' is a problem, too, no?
I can see that they wouldn't go so far as to prohibit all printing in German, say; although I could see them going even that far. But surely encouraging them to speak English (probably) or Polish (especially for the eastern statelets) with the idea of ultimately removing a 'German' identity would make a lot of sense in this universe, no?

Even if they don't do that, do they, perhaps, encourage the brightest and ablest young Germans to emigrate - give them scholarships to foreign universities, say, as long as they don't go home later?
Obviously, this would have to wait until the German statelets weren't infectious any longer.
I should think that there would be an unsubtle campaign to discourage the use of the German language. Place names would be given in the name of the nearest neighbouring language, surnames would be slowly altered and eventually, finis Germaniae. By the late 21st century, they'd be talking about the Berolinsk and Mnichov exclusion zones.

Last edited:
I should think that there would be an unsubtle campaign to discourage the use of the German language. Place names would be given in the name of the nearest neighbouring language, surnames would be slowly altered and eventually, finis Germaniae. By the late 21st century, they'd be talking about the Berolinsk and Mnichov exclusion zones.

To Qoute Calbear

The A4 hasn't tried to destroy Germany's national identity, they HAVE destroyed the German state. Germany will, probably, never be allowed to reform as a single state. The A4 couldn't care less about the German Identity, they can identify to their heart's content. Doesn't matter. A4 simply doesn't care. As long as there is no German state, and as long as the A4 controls the peace-keeping forces, its all good.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
8????
By the way, can you elaborate is this thread please? https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/aanw-verse-xcom.419180/
By 8 years of age they have been working as some level of field hand for a couple years, especially on the more "strict" plantations. 90% of them have seen a family member either killed or been shipped off to a "more rigorous" location or sent to the Reich as a factory worker (in the Antebellum South this was called "being sold South" and was effectively a death sentence since conditions were much worse in the Mississippi delta region than in Northern Virginia or North Carolina). There are a few former high ranking Heer officers who have retained enough pull to be mainly left alone AND who treat their workers as well as can be managed (every plantation or farm has a quota that has to be achieved, failing to do so will result in Berlin sending out some specially trained managers to "help", so there is a limit to how gentle even the best person can be toward their workers).

By the time a Polish, or Ukrainian or Latvian, etc. child can pass the most basic logic test (such as the big/little cup choice) they understood that they were doomed and had no hope of a future that would get better. Needless to say but when the WAllies defeated the Reich they had masses of 12 & 13 year old orphans who were also effectively sociopaths with negligible education no useful skills on a modern 1960 era farm. There was a REALLY good reason the German statelets fought so hard to limit the percentage of peacekeepers who could be from areas that were once under Reich control.

Can't comment on the thread. Never played the game.

By the time a Polish, or Ukrainian or Latvian, etc. child can pass the most basic logic test (such as the big/little cup choice) they understood that they were doomed and had no hope of a future that would get better. Needless to say but when the WAllies defeated the Reich they had masses of 12 & 13 year old orphans who were also effectively sociopaths with negligible education no useful skills on a modern 1960 era farm. There was a REALLY good reason the German statelets fought so hard to limit the percentage of peacekeepers who could be from areas that were once under Reich control.
The number of Polish peacekeepers who commited murder and other crimes against Germans must be quite high then.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Average plantation? Around 2,200 calories a day (keep in mind they are doing hard physical labor sun to sun in all weather). Best case? About 3,700 calories, more if the "Squire" can manage it, like at harvest, or if there was a very good year and there was enough to make quota (this, BTW comes directly out of the Plantation owner's pocket because that same surplus could have been sold) and thje best of the Plantation owners required somewhat less work per week (some even gave their workers half or even a full day off on Sunday when they could get away with it). Minimum for individual doing hard labor kind of work is around 4,800 calories a day (the average adult male burns ~1,775 calories a day sitting on the couch watching TV and/or sleeping just by breathing, maintaining body temperature, etc.).

IOTL the prisoners in the camps and slave laborers received between 1,300 and 1,700 calories a day of simply awful, right on the edge of inedible, semi-spoiled food. There were exceptions, the most notable being the Atlantic Wall while Rommel was in charge. His workers received the exact same rations as everyone else under his command (i.e. Heer troops); in some case the workers on the Wall were getting better rations than the local residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.