The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

Having read about how horrific the early 17th century was for Europe, to the point that it has been labeled the General Crisis, I wonder if ITTL historians will compare the ITTL early 20th century to the OTL Thirty Years War.

I wonder if some historians will compare the fanaticism of Nazism to the religious fanaticism and violence of the 30 years' War and how in both cases, this fanaticism led to so much death and violence.

One can make a comparison between the destruction of Magdeburg and the leveling of Paris.

Last edited:
Probably most of Europe after WW2 was even in worse condition than Italy after Gothic Wars. Probably even Goths themselves would had been horrified about nazis.
Especially as a fair portion of the mess was the Byzantines fault. After taking the west the Goth's mostly maintained the Roman culture, civilisation and infrastructure (excepting in Britain which had imploded generations before). They just accepted they couldn't hold an entity that big together and broke it into more manageable chunks.

Then Justinian came calling, made a huge mess that wreaked everything and left Italy wide open to Lombard attack.

In contrast the Nazis destroyed for the sake of destruction and burned most of their Empire down themselves before the invaders even got there.

A description of Italy after the Gothic Wars and Lombard Invasion:

Sounds a lot like much of TTL Europe after the End of the Third Reich.

Again, I honestly think the Thirty Years War would be a better comparison.

While there are many ways to interpret the Thirty Years War, I look at it as an example of how modernity doesn't necessarily breed progress. The gradual decline of feudalism and the rise of modern tech was followed by unimaginable conflict and brutality in Europe for 30 years, in which every faction imaginable committed horrific atrocities, even those ruled by relatively benign people like Gustavus Adolphus, with the worst devastation striking a decimated Holy Roman Empire.

A few centuries later, the even more modern Europe saw even worse atrocities, led by a unified version of the Holy Roman Empire.

They might even call the combined WW1 and WW2 period the 46 years war (1914-1960)

Probably most of Europe after WW2 was even in worse condition than Italy after Gothic Wars. Probably even Goths themselves would had been horrified about nazis.
Especially as a fair portion of the mess was the Byzantines fault. After taking the west the Goth's mostly maintained the Roman culture, civilisation and infrastructure (excepting in Britain which had imploded generations before). They just accepted they couldn't hold an entity that big together and broke it into more manageable chunks.

Then Justinian came calling, made a huge mess that wreaked everything and left Italy wide open to Lombard attack.

In contrast the Nazis destroyed for the sake of destruction and burned most of their Empire down themselves before the invaders even got there.
TTL Historians will say things like this when they comment on the devastation of Europe.

"For generations, Europeans thought of themselves as superior. How much of an irony that the most civilized society in Europe would commit the greatest barbarity since the Mongols, but even the Khans could show mercy to their vassals. The Nazis most bombastic statements on their own supposed greatness followed their monstrous destruction."

"The legacy of Hitler is to make the word 'civilization' a dirty word. For a small tribe in Namibia could do far less damage than a nation-state armed with science."

"Germans being Germans, then and now" - TTL commentators about this.

Yeah, TTL commentators will make every aspect of German history even more negative than it should be, looking for all kinds of harbingers in German history of what was to come.

Frederick the Great might be even more villainized, especially since he was antisemitic and thought Jews were a fifth column in his country.

"Germans being Germans, then and now" - TTL commentators about this.
From an OTL perspective: Patrick Stewart's facepalming "I don't wanna live this pseudo Turning Diaries timeline but racism against "Nazis" Germans are tolerable and A4 Anglo Nazi 4 is the Regime TTL 21st Century Nazi Germany from the Injustice but Anglo characteristics supremacist with trauma dominance, helicopter parents lebensraum, orbital bombardment genocide, and democracy Anglo-Nazism contributed by the god CalBear."
Yeah, TTL commentators will make every aspect of German history even more negative than it should be, looking for all kinds of harbingers in German history of what was to come.

Frederick the Great might be even more villainized, especially since he was antisemitic and thought Jews were a fifth column in his country.
In this TTL, where the history of "Nazis" Germans would be more demonized and stigmatized  but whitewashing   thinking of Apartheid view of the Blacks as the equivalent to pedophiles .

What a timeline we live in where prejudice against a certain ethnic group is taken more extreme due to the mass killing of 200 million Europeans and the cultural site of Europe is pretty much destroyed while the A4 pretty much dominates the globe and maintains to be peaceful dystopia with war, genocide, racism, dictatorship is no tolerant in A4 or else in the name of rod of Gods like Stettin while the A4 completely dominate on space with rule is forbidden to non-A4 nations for venturing into space beyond 65 miles above the Earth, considering it an act of war, only the Anglo citizenship are welcoming (sound familiar) to voyage in space. Absolute Double Standard!

A description of Italy after the Gothic Wars and Lombard Invasion:

Sounds a lot like much of TTL Europe after the End of the Third Reich.
Speaking of which, the popular view of the aftermath of the fall of Rome as a Dark Age only broken by the Renaissance would probably remain the mainstream view for longer ITTL, especially with the whole "Germanic barbarians destroying the Roman Empire" angle emphasized and all that.

Of course in this world no one will propose that the name "barbaric invasions" should be changed to "period of migrations." The case is not helped by the fact that it is certain that the theory's parents do not exist because their grandparents died in World War II...

It's weirdly funny to me to imagine people being so petty as to alter the historical perception of the Germanic tribes, just so they can further shame their decendents. I bet there's a massive memorial to the legions lost at Teutoberg forest

It's weirdly funny to me to imagine people being so petty as to alter the historical perception of the Germanic tribes, just so they can further shame their decendents. I bet there's a massive memorial to the legions lost at Teutoberg forest

I wouldn’t go that far, but yes people will view the German reunification as the worst mistake in all of history.

I wouldn't be surprised if people ITTL wish that Varus would had listened warnings about Armin's ambush and avoided that and Roman Empire would had conquered Germania and civilised and latinised Germanic tribes.

What a timeline we live in where prejudice against a certain ethnic group is taken more extreme due to the mass killing of 200 million Europeans and the cultural site of Europe is pretty much destroyed while the A4 pretty much dominates the globe and maintains to be peaceful dystopia with war, genocide, racism, dictatorship is no tolerant in A4 or else in the name of rod of Gods like Stettin while the A4 completely dominate on space with rule is forbidden to non-A4 nations for venturing into space beyond 65 miles above the Earth, considering it an act of war, only the Anglo citizenship are welcoming (sound familiar) to voyage in space. Absolute Double Standard!

While it's truly horrifying, it's a dark joke compared to the prejucide, stigamtization, contempt and hatred Arabs have had recieved in Footprint of Mussolini for far less justifications.

Last edited:
@CalBear, due to the retrofuturistic setting of TL, any chance Washington, D.C. allows skyscrapers taller than the Washington Monument obelisk just like in Independence Day: Resurgence?

Photos for reference:
57bd7f9dedf5f.jpg

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear, due to the retrofuturistic setting of TL, any chance Washington, D.C. allows skyscrapers taller than the Washington Monument obelisk just like in Independence Day: Resurgence?

Photos for reference:
57bd7f9dedf5f.jpg

Nope. Not a chance in thw world.

I was thinking more that “traditional” perceptions of them last longer than OTL than anything else.