So, are the Lucases going to sue over Hollywood accounting? Probably won't change much long term in the industry - Peter Jackson's suit against New Line for LOTR profits doesn't seem to have stopped the practice OTL.

THE OBSERVER

I've lost trace of so many things but pretty certain that TTL there's been no Taxi Driver so that definitely won't get an award. From what I remember being mentioned of TTL I wonder if Napoleon might be one of winners?

Steve

Napoleon won Best Picture for 1971. Took "A Clockwork Orange's" place ITTL.

More To Come... Right After These Messages

The "present date" is September 17, 1978 (a Sunday). In Pasdena, California, a suburb of Los Angeles, the 30th Emmy Awards are underway. Television, though perhaps in a somewhat more uncertain and "transitional" phase compared to where it had been a few years before, is nonetheless a remarkable touchstone of stability in contrast to the other, more turbulent media, old and new, within the entertainment industry. Though, by this point, it's becoming increasingly clear that turbulence is the order of the day throughout the world as the 1970s come to an end - not just in the First World, but also in the Second; and even in the long-neglected Third World as well...

---

So, what can we expect next, and all on account of that wacky redhead?

We'll be taking our usual general overview of the next production and broadcast season: 1978-79.

There will be an in-depth look at urban development throughout North America, and on the reciprocal effect that it will have on culture and sport.

We'll revisit the range of programming available to those watching television across the Pond, and what becomes popular and influential to those audiences.

Our exploration of pop culture will continue with a retrospective look at projects and trends in American cinema throughout the prime of the "New Hollywood" era.

Appendix B will return once again as we analyze election results throughout the Anglosphere... and in Latinophone countries.

And, finally, we'll shed some light on a long-ignored genre as it spreads beyond its home medium to stake a claim in all reaches of the entertainment industry.

All this and more, coming up on... That Wacky Redhead!

---

Acknowledgements

The voting for the Turtledove Awards having been concluded, I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who voted for That Wacky Redhead in any and all of the categories in which it was nominated. Sadly, I did not win in any of them this year, but as sports fans the world over would say: there's always next year!

Now is also the time for me to give special thanks to the following consultants, who have provided me with valuable assistance (and may yet continue to do so, if all goes well) over the course of the development of this timeline: Chipperback, e of pi, truth is life, vultan, Electric Monk, Thande, and Andrew T.

But most of all, my sincerest thanks to all of you for your praise, your criticism, your many and varied opinions, and your continued readership!

Remember that you can find a complete list of Official, Canonical Updates on the Alternate History Wiki page for this timeline. I highly recommend it for those of you who suffer from Archive Panic. I've made nearly 300 posts to this thread, less than one-quarter of which can be considered "content", making the list a valuable time-saver.

The two previous Doctors, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, saw more limited success in syndication, and primarily after the current incarnation of Doctor Who was confirmed as an unlikely hit on American shores; however, they did eventually find an audience, and Desilu did retain copies of all their adventures; this would prove advantageous once the BBC ended their tape-wiping policy and found themselves missing large chunks of Doctor Who stories.
Question: how beneficial? IOTL, for the longest time, there were 108 episodes that were deemed "missing" due to the junkings. What's the number ITTL... or is there no number?

Question: how beneficial? IOTL, for the longest time, there were 108 episodes that were deemed "missing" due to the junkings. What's the number ITTL... or is there no number?
Desilu gets copies of all the episodes as part of the syndication deal before BBC began wiping tapes to conserve space. Since they bought them specifically for syndication, they carefully save all of the them even once the BBC begins wiping. And when the BBC realizes what a mistake they've made a few years down the line, Desilu can create new copies to send back to the BBC and replace the erased episodes. Total "lost episodes" in Doctor Who ITTL? Zero.

Desilu gets copies of all the episodes as part of the syndication deal before BBC began wiping tapes to conserve space. Since they bought them specifically for syndication, they carefully save all of the them even once the BBC begins wiping. And when the BBC realizes what a mistake they've made a few years down the line, Desilu can create new copies to send back to the BBC and replace the erased episodes. Total "lost episodes" in Doctor Who ITTL? Zero.

Fire up the cross-time train, Widget!

Glen

Just in time for the Christmas season, Star Wars was playing all over the country. The stores couldn’t keep up with requests for Star Wars toys,

Great update overall, but what's with the 'Star Wars' reversion in the update with regards to the toy blitz?

Thande

Donor
The big problem of the Doctor Who films is, that they contradict the show.

That's not a problem, that was deliberate. They were a spinoff continuity reboot (before those terms even existed) designed to sell a simplified version of the Doctor Who mythos to the American market, hopefully opening it up for the show itself. Obviously, this didn't work. (All editorial decisions made in pretty much every big budget thing made in Britain between 1945 and 2000, and a good percentage of those still made today, are based purely on an often ill-fated attempt to appeal to the American market).

More comments? Well, then, that means more responses! :cool:

What were the Best Pictures for 1975/76 and 1976/77 then? Jaws, Nashville, or One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest? Rocky, Network, Taxi Driver, or Bound for Glory? All the President's Men isn't on the list of nominees for those years because it was never made ITTL and Barry Lyndon isn't on there because Stanley Kubrick filmed Napoleon, which used several elements that Kubrick used on Barry Lyndon IOTL. Could a picture that wasn't nominated for the Oscars IOTL fill in the empty spots there ITTL and probably win?
You will find out the answers to all of these questions, and you'll find out in this cycle!

While Star Wars without Darth Vader is certainly an interesting idea, I wonder if it would have been quite as popular without him: he was clearly a breakout character at the time and this strongly influenced the next two films (as has been pointed out, Vader only has eleven minutes of screentime in the first Star Wars a.k.a. Episode IV).
Darth Vader is a classic example of the Breakout Character, especially since, as noted, Tarkin was the main villain in the original film, and was clearly Vader's superior (note the famous scene in which Vader chokes a disbeliever with the Force, only to relent on Tarkin's orders). That's proven... tricky to reconcile with later canon IOTL.

1017 comes from the fact that it was previously a Ranger class or was 1017-B but came in an age when there wasn't a number added or when numbers were reused after a ship with it left serve *convoluted nerd explanations* *grumble* *grumble*

But since you changed it, you've removed my nerd need to explain things away.
Our pleasure, Your Imperial Majesty! Trust us, it's better this way ;)

Good update.
Loved the JTOF, hope JOTFII will be better! ;)
Thank you, Professor! I think it's pretty much inevitable that there will be a sequel, but when is a very big question.

IOTL Star Wars was one of the films to establish the Evil Brit trope - even Vader was played by David Prowse, although not voiced by him. Since TTL's version won't be filmed in the UK, and so have mainly American actors on the Death Star, this trope might not be established until later.
As I mentioned before, we're looking at an all-American major cast ITTL. Any non-Americans would be Canadians.

I've lost trace of so many things but pretty certain that TTL there's been no Taxi Driver so that definitely won't get an award. From what I remember being mentioned of TTL I wonder if Napoleon might be one of winners?
Don't feel too bad, Steve; THE OBSERVER has either forgotten or overlooked that I've already said there would be no Nashville ITTL, either :p

Now that is going to have interesting, even intriguing:p impacts on popular culture. Has he been written out completely or just assumed a minor role?
I would say that his role is perhaps slightly less significant than IOTL, with the *Tarkin analogue correspondingly more prominent.

stevep said:
You mean someone else has noticed I tend to over-use that word. Seems to be a personal habit I've fallen into. At least you guys don't know about the human sacrifices, slave trading and handling of 2nd hand nukes yet.:D:p
Trust me, Steve, you are far from the only person who overuses that word on this thread! :D

stevep said:
I think you mean "Here's lookin' at you, kid" :cool:

stevep said:
I agree. Found it very interesting how much of a role she played.
I'm glad you thought so! Perhaps now that He with the Flannel and the Beard no longer owns Lucasfilm, her good name might be properly restored to the history of Star Wars.

stevep said:
That could be one of the problems. They would seem to be an obvious leader in use of computers for other roles but its possibly that because of the Syzygy role that would be a dumping ground for any people who take an interest in this new tool.

However sooner or later there's bound to be some interaction. Someone moaning about the difficulty of getting a certain shot or effect and a computer nerd pipes up with "why don't you". Especially since a certain WR seems to have a keen eye for new ideas or ways to cut costs.
Maybe, but That Wacky Redhead, however much of a pioneer she may be from a technological perspective, also has an appreciation for what already works - consider how many established cinematic techniques were brought to I Love Lucy. Granted, these techniques were applied in creative new ways, but it didn't involve innovation on the sheer scale that the development of CGI would. Remember, it took over a decade to get from Tron to Jurassic Park - and still, that latter film (like many of the early-1990s "computer graphics" blockbusters) had extensive use of practical effects. My point is, it's a very long-term investment, and until it bears fruit, practical effects will remain far superior.

So, are the Lucases going to sue over Hollywood accounting? Probably won't change much long term in the industry - Peter Jackson's suit against New Line for LOTR profits doesn't seem to have stopped the practice OTL.
I won't elaborate on the particulars of the case at this time, obviously, but I really appreciate your analytical analysis, Maltaran. When the time comes, I'll lay the facts before you with regards as to how this parallel situation - which, it should be noted, is taking place much earlier - might turn out differently (or might not!).

Napoleon won Best Picture for 1971. Took "A Clockwork Orange's" place ITTL.
More specifically, the film exists instead of A Clockwork Orange, but the Best Picture of 1971 was The French Connection IOTL.

Welcome aboard, Clorox! As you can see, e of pi already answered the question for me, and I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Fire up the cross-time train, Widget!
Welcome aboard, varyar! Now, you are planning on picking me up on that thing, right? ;)

Great update overall, but what's with the 'Star Wars' reversion in the update with regards to the toy blitz?

It's an 8000 word update, give us one major error--looks like the find-and-replace missed one or two. :eek: Thanks for pointing that out.
I knew that all of the name-changing would catch up with me eventually :eek: That's a good eye you've got there, Glen; it's a good thing that you're a neurologist ;)

Ooh, I love urban development. I am excited for this update. How long?
I'm glad to hear! Well, the Overview Update has to come first, so... sometime after that :)

Will this include proposed theme parks ;)
Excellent question! There's only one way to find out!

One additional comment: I've been noticing extensive edits to my TVTropes page in the last few days, and though I don't recognize the username of the troper responsible, I just wanted to express my gratitude in a place where I know that he or she will be reading. It's really great to see that page filling up with examples :D

Brainbin

What I was really thinking of with DV is that if his role is more minor will he still be Luke's father in episodes 2 & 3? Or have the crucial final role in the destruction of the emperor? I notice you didn't quote my reference to this so I suspect a sinister plan here.;)

Somehow I missed the post on the Turtledove's so belated commiserations. Hope we do better next year.

Steve

What I was really thinking of with DV is that if his role is more minor will he still be Luke's father in episodes 2 & 3? Or have the crucial final role in the destruction of the emperor? I notice you didn't quote my reference to this so I suspect a sinister plan here.;)

Well at the time Star Wars was made OTL, it wasn't planned that Vader was Luke's father, otherwise there wouldn't have been the line about Vader killing Annekin Skywalker.

ITTL, there are a number of ways that the story could be written differently. For example *Vader could be killed and *Tarkin survive to fight another day.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Glen

That's not a problem, that was deliberate. They were a spinoff continuity reboot (before those terms even existed) designed to sell a simplified version of the Doctor Who mythos to the American market, hopefully opening it up for the show itself. Obviously, this didn't work. (All editorial decisions made in pretty much every big budget thing made in Britain between 1945 and 2000, and a good percentage of those still made today, are based purely on an often ill-fated attempt to appeal to the American market).

It was deliberate AND it was a problem...

My apologies for the silence lately, everyone - as always, RL has encroached somewhat on my attempts to remain on a brisk schedule, but I'd like to hope that the worst is behind me on that score. No promises as of yet, but I hope to have the next update ready this weekend. Thank you all for your patience.

I wouldn't be very good at my job if I didn't have a sinister plan or two up my sleeve :D

stevep said:
Somehow I missed the post on the Turtledove's so belated commiserations. Hope we do better next year.
Thank you for your kind words, Steve.

Well at the time Star Wars was made OTL, it wasn't planned that Vader was Luke's father, otherwise there wouldn't have been the line about Vader killing Annekin Skywalker.

ITTL, there are a number of ways that the story could be written differently. For example *Vader could be killed and *Tarkin survive to fight another day.
Interesting suggestions, Nigel! We'll have to see how right or wrong you are on them.

It was deliberate AND it was a problem...
And how would you rate it in comparison to the also Pandering-To-The-Yanks Doctor Who telefilm of 1996, I wonder?

Interesting suggestions, Nigel! We'll have to see how right or wrong you are on them.

I'm looking forward to it !

And how would you rate it in comparison to the also Pandering-To-The-Yanks Doctor Who telefilm of 1996, I wonder?

Well continuity was probably of less importance to viewers in the Sixties than the Nineties and no-one would expect a movie version of a story to be identical or consistant with a tv version. So, I'd say that calling the Doctor fully human in 1966 was probably less controversial than describing him as half human in 1996.

Anyway, everything's better with Daleks :D

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:
I thought it would pertinent to note here that Stuart Freeborn, one of the greatest creature effects designers both IOTL and ITTL (his work was covered in the latest update), has died. He, of course, leaves behind an outstanding legacy of movie magic.

Well, this marks post #2500 to this thread, and I want to thank you all for your continued gregariousness in helping me reach this threshold! :D

Well continuity was probably of less importance to viewers in the Sixties than the Nineties and no-one would expect a movie version of a story to be identical or consistant with a tv version. So, I'd say that calling the Doctor fully human in 1966 was probably less controversial than describing him as half human in 1966.
Those 30 years, all by themselves, represent the time that the character was able to become entrenched in popular culture. I think that was what made the difference, not the respective eras per se. Not that internal consistency wasn't far more important in the 1990s than it was in the 1960s - that much is obvious.

I thought it would pertinent to note here that Stuart Freeborn, one of the greatest creature effects designers both IOTL and ITTL (his work was covered in the latest update), has died. He, of course, leaves behind an outstanding legacy of movie magic.
Thank you for sharing that announcement with us, vultan. Here's to one of the many, many people who worked together to make Star Wars what it was - one of the greatest examples of collaborative filmmaking in the history of the medium. May he rest in peace, having enjoyed such a long and fruitful life.

How much longer Brainbin?
Maybe tomorrow... but don't hold me to that ;) Either way, until then!