Thank God for Fuck ups: Bush loses Texas

Cheney is disqualified

Prior to the election of 2000, both Bush and Cheney were longtime Texas residents. When the RNC realized this, Cheney sold his home and changed his registries back to Wyoming, where he had not been a resident for 10 years. If Cheney had not done this or if the move were rejected, Cheney and Bush would lose Texas automatically due to the 12th amendement, Unfortunately he did.

But if he hadn't due to the fact escaping him or perhaps a heart attack similar to the one in November, the Bush campaign would lose Texas and it's 32 EVs, rightfully giving the election to Gore w/o all of the meddling and insanity.

Could this have happened?

BTW: Yes, I am liberal. Nice to meet you :D

Last edited:
Prior to the election of 2000, both Bush and Cheney were longtime Texas residents. When the RNC realized this, Cheney sold his home and changed his registries back to Wyoming, where he had not been a resident for 10 years. If Cheney had not done this or if the move were rejected, Cheney and Bush would lose Texas automatically due to the 12th amendement, Unfortunately he did.

But if he hadn't due to the fact escaping him or perhaps a heart attack similar to the one in November, the Bush campaign would lose Texas and it's 32 EVs, rightfully giving the election to Gore w/o all of the meddling and insanity.

Could this have happened?

BTW: Yes, I am liberal. Nice to meet you :D

No, the electors had to vote for one or the other. Therefore, you would end up with President George W. Bush and Vice President Joseph Lieberman.

I never heard of this law before, and I don't see how any part of the Federal govt. would want to infringe on the democratic rights of Texans, especially on an obscure law like this. It would have given Laurence Tribe, et al, one more point to argue about, but I believe the end result would have been the same.

For what its worth, I'm a conservative, and I think that Gore won Florida.

I imagine Texas' electors would vote for Bush for President, but I can't see them voting for Lieberman for Vice President. More likely they either abstain or write in some conservative. This would send the Vice Presidential race to the Senate, and I can't imagine the Republican Senate not voting for Cheney (although would the new Senate that was elected in 2000 be the one voting? That could complicate things, especially with Gore as the tie-breaking vote). In short, this would complicate the already complicated 2000 race, but not too too much.

I imagine Texas' electors would vote for Bush for President, but I can't see them voting for Lieberman for Vice President. More likely they either abstain or write in some conservative. This would send the Vice Presidential race to the Senate, and I can't imagine the Republican Senate not voting for Cheney (although would the new Senate that was elected in 2000 be the one voting? That could complicate things, especially with Gore as the tie-breaking vote). In short, this would complicate the already complicated 2000 race, but not too too much.

Assuming the latter scenario of the 50-50 senate, do the Democrats use the Florida confusion as an excuse to vote as a bloc in favor of Lieberman, with Gore capping off the tie breaking vote.

Such a move would be interesting, but could hurt Democrats terribly. It would look like childish partisan move to harm Republicans in a time when most just wanted to see the election settled and move on. Remember, Cheney wasn't vilified then nearly as much as he ended up being. To most at the time, Dick Cheney brought up an image of a sane intelligent man who spoke well in the Vice-Presidential debate (as did Lieberman).

One would have to expect that in the 107th Senate, there would be at least one Democrat seeking to break ranks in favor of Cheney, claiming statesmanship over partisanship. John Breaux maybe? Zell Miller or newly elected Ben Nelson?

Also remember that decorum might encourage Joe Lieberman to abstain from the vote, leaving Democrats one short from the start.

If this were clear before electors voted and other events were as OTL- the blatant theft by disfranchisemnt of tens of thousand of Florida voters- there is another option.

Democrat electors could vote for Gore for President and Vice President.

Gore would vote for himself a VP - and President of the Senate.

If this were clear before electors voted and other events were as OTL- the blatant theft by disfranchisemnt of tens of thousand of Florida voters- there is another option.

Democrat electors could vote for Gore for President and Vice President.

Gore would vote for himself a VP - and President of the Senate.

Huh? (filler)

I never heard of this law before, and I don't see how any part of the Federal govt. would want to infringe on the democratic rights of Texans, especially on an obscure law like this. It would have given Laurence Tribe, et al, one more point to argue about, but I believe the end result would have been the same.

For what its worth, I'm a conservative, and I think that Gore won Florida.
It's not a law- it's the Twelfth Amendment.
The electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves...

Anyone know Texas' State laws on the matter? Most states have laws on the books that require the electors to actively cast a vote, for the candidate the populace appears to want (there is no federal law like that). Their "choice" in the matter is very limited.

I'd be very interested in a Dubya/Droopy TL.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's to stop the Rehnquist Court from overruling the 12th Amendment? Technically speaking, SCOTUS can't do that. But if they could do Bush v. Gore, they could do that.:rolleyes: It's not like they had any shortages of shame, after all. AND they'd have half the country thanking them for "saving us.":mad:

Then it's a President Bush, Vice President Lieberman. In 2004 Lieberman steps down and is replaced by Romney or Tom Ridge. Problem solved.