Terror in Littleton: How a tragedy shaped a nation

So judging by how draconian TTL America is, I guess Weird al wouldn't publish "Don't download this song", because that would be the TTL equivalent of using searchlights to spell "Lenin Sux" In 1970 Moscow.

You'd be guessing wrong. Despite the many problems ATL America is suffering from (and will continue to suffer from) the kind of repression you're describing is never going to come to pass.

You'd be guessing wrong. Despite the many problems ATL America is suffering from (and will continue to suffer from) the kind of repression you're describing is never going to come to pass.

Frankly, I think that people here sometimes tend to exaggerate just how bad things are TTL - sure, it definitely's worse than OTL, and being a teenager got even harder than it usually would be, but still...

Quite a bit.
Maybe a greater enphasis on international production or with version for the American market and another for the rest of the world once it's clear that censorship mean also taking away appeal and IRC this is the period where the profit from external market started to really really be important for Hollywood and not only a happy bonus

Frankly, I think that people here sometimes tend to exaggerate just how bad things are TTL - sure, it definitely's worse than OTL, and being a teenager got even harder than it usually would be, but still...
TBF, the security measures done during TTL’s War on Terror would not help, at all.

Maybe a greater enphasis on international production or with version for the American market and another for the rest of the world once it's clear that censorship mean also taking away appeal and IRC this is the period where the profit from external market started to really really be important for Hollywood and not only a happy bonus
Considering that Hollywood OTL's reaction has been to try to force the rest of the world to adapt to American tastes and not the other way around...

...in any case I can see that the phenomenon of Hollywood promoting the idea of forcing the rest of the countries to "conform to the desires and interests of a global audience" begins earlier.

(When in reality what they mean is "we want you to make movies the way we like them, we don't care if your national audience hates them").

Plus, of course, a ton of (American) "papers" about how not to make movies the ITTL American way (read with a lot of censorship) is "proof" of "the deeply problematic ideas that run through these degenerate societies." Or some similar nonsense of that nature.

As of Part 11, reading what the aftereffects of a worse Columbine could have been in detail, I can only conclude:
FUCK.
And on a personal note, there goes my middle-school education—assuming I'd even graduate from elementary ITTL. No, my sorry autistic ass would metaphorically suffocate to (possibly) literal death in this environment. Even if I saw the writing on the wall and dropped out, there would still be the lack of (easy) access to antidepressants to contend with, to say nothing of society treating me like a bomb waiting to detonate. In all honesty, I'd probably end up committing suicide—one more Millennial dead before his time. God only knows what the exact reason would be.

Part 16, The New Fear
Kyle was brushing his teeth, checking his hair in the mirror all the while. He’d gotten it cut during campaign season, a change John had advised him to take in order to look more presentable for the cameras and in his words “less like a hippie”. Kyle had been resistant to the idea at first, ever the contrarian, but with women calling him cute a lot more often he had to admit that shorter hair had its advantages. He was almost ready to head out when he heard his dad call him from the living room.

“Kyle, come quick! Look!”

Kyle rushed downstairs, seeing his father, wide eyed, glued to the television. On screen was footage of the World Trade Center burning, plumes of oil black smoke gushing from jagged wounds left in the building. Suddenly, the scene changed to live images of fires cracking on the US Capitol building, with similar plumes of smoke accompanying it.

“Jesus Christ…” Kyle said. Nothing else could suffice as he stood there, transfixed by the unfolding devastation.

---

Hundreds of miles away from where Kyle and his father watched the unfolding carnage, a group of students in Martin County High School were being led outside by terrified school teachers, overly cautious that an attack could happen somewhere else. As they walked, a group of teens talked among themselves.

“I can’t believe it, I just can’t believe it.” said Jeff. He looked straight ahead as he spoke. “What kind of goddamn barbaric animals would kill that many people…”

“I don’t know man,” said Robert. “You’d have to be pretty sick-”

He was interrupted as another teen ahead of them loudly shouted “KABOOM!” while standing right behind a trio of girls. The three of them shrieked, then glared at the now guffawing boy. Jeff himself bristled with righteous anger as he approached the fat, bespectacled kid. The kid turned around, still chuckling, as he came face to face with the taller, leaner Jeff.

“Hey man,” Jeff said, voice stiff, “cut that shit out. It’s not funny.”

The fat kid snorted. “Fuck off dickface,” he replied, “and fuck America too. It’s about time this piece of crap nation got its head kicked in.”

“Shut the fuck up.” Jeff realized he was clenching his fists. Robert wanted to pull his friend away, but even as a teacher noticed them and started calling to them to leave, he was transfixed. What was wrong with this guy?

To everyone’s surprise and horror, the fat kid got within inches of Jeff’s face and pushed him back. “Make me shut up, faggot.”

Jeff swung his right fist into the fat kid’s face, after which the two of them traded punches and kicks, wrestling each other to the ground as the teacher went to go get the school resource officer. Well after the officer pulled the two apart, Jeff would be expelled, and the fat kid named Omar Mateen would be arrested, charged, and convicted of assault and battery and disorderly conduct, the first of many arrests that would end with his death in a drunk driving accident.[1]

---

ATTACKS ON WTC, PENTAGON, CAPITOL BUILDING LEAVE THOUSANDS DEAD

The number of dead the day after four hijacked planes were crashed into the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and US Capitol building are still being calculated as first responders continue the search for victims trapped underneath rubble. As search and rescue efforts continue officials in the FBI have told members of the press off the record that al-Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden was the likely perpetrator behind the attacks...

-CNN, September 12th, 2001

---

15 year old Conner nervously stared out the window of his dad’s car as the two of them drove to the airport. The planes were flying again, but that did little to reassure him. Neither did his father’s exhortations that flying was “the safest method of transportation”. They pulled up to the airport, and Conner noticed National Guardsmen at the entrance checking people’s baggage. ‘Great’, he thought, ‘just like school’.

---

...FBI counter-terrorism resources would be even further divided amid the attacks at Columbine High School and De Anza Community College, as officials in both the Clinton and Bush administrations would refocus law enforcement efforts into preventing further attacks in the nation’s schools. Concerns over school safety would eclipse those of all other terrorist organizations and individuals, both foreign and domestic, rather than focusing on an array of dynamic threats.

-9/11 Commission Report

AUMF PASSES WITH BIPARTISAN MAJORITY

As the nation still reels from shock after the attacks in New York City and Washington DC, the White House and Congress have moved swiftly to pass legislation authorizing military force against the terrorist organizations responsible. In a near unanimous vote in both the Senate and House of Representatives, the Authorization for Use of Force in Response to the 9/11 Attacks grants the Bush administration wide reaching powers to wage war, allowing him to “deter and pre-empt any future acts of terrorism or aggression against the United States”.[2] Responsibility for the attacks has been levied towards the al-Qaeda terrorist group, based primarily out of Taliban run Afghanistan, but believed to have bases and outposts across the globe. Intense diplomatic pressure has been applied to the Taliban to surrender custody of al-Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden…

-Washington Post, September 14th, 2001

---

"What do you mean I can't come back to school?" Abdul asked. He was at the front steps of his school in the Bronx, vainly trying to reason with his female vice principal, the school resource officer by her side, a thumb in his waistband. Behind him an irritated group of his fellow teenagers grumbled over being late again for school.

"There is no way I'm letting you in here, especially not with that thing on your head," she said, venom oozing from her voice as she said the word "thing".

Abdul cocked his head back. "Are you talking about my kufi?"

"Yes!" shrieked the vice principal. "I don't know how you can wear that...that piece of clothing while all of us are still suffering!"

Abdul rolled his eyes. "Listen ma'am," he said, an edge in his voice, "My kufi is part of my religion. It has nothing to do with terrorism, or al-Qaeda, or the Taliban. And last I checked I had the right to practice my religion in America. Now if you don't mind I'd like to go to school like any other American." He took a step forward, then another.

"Oh no you don't!" the vice principal once again shrieked. With her right hand she grabbed the kufi on Abdul's head, causing him instinctively to push her arm away. While the blow was not serious, it sent the middle aged woman reeling in shock.

"Hey what the f-" Abdul began to say, until the school resource officer suddenly leapt into action, tackling Abdul to the ground.

"What the fuck! Let me go! Let me go man I didn't do anything!" Abdul shouted, rolling on the ground with the officer. The older, bigger man was able to pin the Arab-American youth to the ground, placing him in handcuffs.

"You're under arrest for assault and battery," the officer said, Abdul still pinned and struggling on the ground. "Anything you say can and will be used against you..."

---

MOSQUES ATTACKED, MUSLIMS, SIHKS HARASSED FOLLOWING TERRORIST ATTACKS[3]

-CNN, September 18th, 2001

ANTHRAX LETTERS INTERCEPTED[4]

With officials across the country on heightened alert following the attacks on the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and US Capitol building, a terrifying new threat in the form of anthrax laced mail has been intercepted before arriving upon their intended targets. FBI counter-terror operators are now hard at work investigating the source of the anthrax letters, and what connection there is, if any, to the attacks on September 11.

-Washington Post, September 19th, 2001

---

Congressman Ron Paul flipped through the pages of the latest anti-terrorism legislation in the odd hours of the morning, stomach churning as he did so. He fully expected an overreaction to what happened on 9/11 and had mentally readied himself for the vicious congressional fights he’d endure opposing said overreaction (likely alone), but this…

He flipped another page. Pretrial detention for cases involving terrorism. He flipped through it again, finding a clause for the lifetime supervision of anyone convicted of a terrorist offense. Blanket authority to conduct mass surveillance. On top of that were all these new designations for radicalization and homegrown terrorism, confirming that this was not going to begin and end in Afghanistan, or with immigrants, or even Muslim Americans. This wasn’t just an overreaction. This was the goddamn Reichstag Fire Decree.[5]

Paul picked up the phone on his desk and started frantically dialing.

---

USA PATRIOT ACT SIGNED INTO LAW

In the wake of the devastating terrorist attacks on 9/11 and amid the fear of new attacks on the horizon, Congress today has passed one of the most sweeping anti-terrorism legislation in the nation’s history. Having been passed in an unprecedented seven weeks and with scarce debate, the bill expands the power of the federal government to monitor and detain suspects under investigation for terrorism related offenses, and includes definitions for homegrown terrorism.

Among the provisions most opposed by civil liberty advocates include an expansion of the federal death penalty to include “terrorist offenses resulting in death”, the ability to hold those suspected of terrorist activity in pretrial detention without any disclosure, and grants the FBI greater ease to review personal records without disclosure. Advocates such as the ACLU have vowed to oppose these provisions and others through legal and legislative means.[5]

-NY Times, October 31st, 2001

---

“Fascist cunts.” snarled Bruno, as he and Christian read the news over Bruno’s computer.

“So what now?” Christian asked. “Are we fucking terrorists now? Are they going to give us the chair for breaking windows?”

“Calm down,” Bruno said. “This is bad, but we’ll get by. People like us have always got by.” His disgust peeling away in favor of his usual cocky grin, Bruno put a reassuring hand on Christian’s shoulder.

“We’re the resistance now Chris. And that means we go underground.”

[1] Far from a stretch considering Mateen’s OTL conduct. https://web.archive.org/web/2016061...9/us/omar-mateen-gunman-orlando-shooting.html https://archive.is/0j3fA
[2] This is actually the original language of the 2001 AUMF, but was removed as it was feared to be too broad. https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RS22357.html
[3] Largely as OTL
[4] Thus averting the deaths caused OTL
[5] If any of this strikes you as particularly outlandish, these policies were at various points advanced by the Bush administration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_Security_Enhancement_Act_of_2003 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violent_Radicalization_and_Homegrown_Terrorism_Prevention_Act_of_2007

New update time! I wanted to publish this one and have the next one ready to go soon after but unfortunately it looks like there will be delays. I might have to break the next update into multiple parts as well. On the plus side it's still been great fun writing it and I can't wait to publish it. As always let me know if there's something I missed that you'd like to see covered.

Oh boy......this country..........

I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami got moved ande Adult Swim NEVER came out at all and the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube was the last REAL gaming consoles at this point......

Yikes, a worse Columbine and a worse 9/11. I feel like this timeline is just destined to keep getting uglier down the line...

Also, I noticed that the latest update stopped at Halloween 2001, and, less than two weeks later in November IOTL, this happened in New York. Given the reaction to TTL's 9/11 so far, I dread to see how the response to that will turn out ITTL, if it does still happen...

Last edited:
Ah nice to see a well thougt reaction to a great tragedy, sure it will not exacerbate already growing problem with the youth and the school system/s, more and more it seem that the USA are headed towards their own version of the 'years of lead'...not a very enjoyable experience

Oh boy......this country..........

I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami got moved ande Adult Swim NEVER came out at all and the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube was the last REAL gaming consoles at this point......
Yep I wouldn't be surprised if more strict censorship laws would be put in place ITTL, ESPECIALLY on video games, hell I'm sure there's a chance that the US would start to directly monitor video games and movies, basically making the MPA and ESRB pointless