Terror in Littleton: How a tragedy shaped a nation

Chiling read. 25 years ago this week plus a worse 9/11
Agreed 100%. Definitely worries me about what'll happen next ITTL. Given that the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 is coming up soon, I'm actually kind of reminded of what happened in @Lost Freeway's "No W" TL and am afraid that something exactly like that will wind up happening as well ITTL.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. Definitely worries me about what'll happen next ITTL. Given that the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 is coming up soon, I'm actually kind of reminded of what happened in @Lost Freeway's "No W" TL and am afraid that something exactly like that will wind up happening as well ITTL.
Perhaps, TTL America would go down the path similar to @Hal Jordon's The People's Revolution.

Oh boy......this country..........

I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami got moved ande Adult Swim NEVER came out at all and the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube was the last REAL gaming consoles at this point......

I already mentioned in an earlier post the Xbox was butterflied away, but you can rest easy knowing that Sony and Nintendo are going to keep making consoles.

Yikes, a worse Columbine and a worse 9/11. I feel like this timeline is just destined to keep getting uglier down the line...

Yep! I'm a big fan of mish mashing PODs if they make sense and a 9/11 where the Capitol building is hit felt too weak to make its own TL out of. So here all the planes hit their intended targets. This will cause butterflies big and small.

Also, I noticed that the latest update stopped at Halloween 2001, and, less than two weeks later in November IOTL, this happened in New York. Given the reaction to TTL's 9/11 so far, I dread to see how the response to that will turn out ITTL, if it does still happen...

I actually had no idea that this happened. I'm actually heavily inclined to butterfly it away so as to create a small bright spot in the TL.

Yep I wouldn't be surprised if more strict censorship laws would be put in place ITTL, ESPECIALLY on video games, hell I'm sure there's a chance that the US would start to directly monitor video games and movies, basically making the MPA and ESRB pointless

I've mentioned repeatedly that organized, government directed censorship of films and movies aren't going to pass constitutional muster. The same court ruled that videos of animal cruelty are a-ok to watch and distribute. The actual flagrant abuses of power are going to take a different, but more typical shape.

VERY ironic that the present state of America ITTL results in the butterflying of the Pulse massacre.

Indeed, and there will be other massacres butterflied down the line. There are a mind boggling number of OTL killers (including Eric and Dylan for that matter) whose rampages could've easily been avoided if somebody had given half a damn, and with the way the world is ITTL some of them are inevitably going to get stopped and I plan on writing about it. On the flipside there were also would-be terrorists and mass murderers who were only stopped by chance and I plan on writing about that too.

I am Slightly expecting TTL's Boston Bombing to be Nuclear

Without spoiling anything rest assured that's not going to happen.

You mean to say America's economy ITTL isn't already in the toilet?

I don't believe I ever wrote that it was. The only thing I did write was that the dot-com crash was slightly worse.

Good lord no, I was not a fan of No W.

Perhaps, TTL America would go down the path similar to @Hal Jordon's The People's Revolution.

I haven't read that timeline but I might just check it out, looks comfortably bite sized.

In terms of homeschooling things are probably going to be better simply on account of the greater amount of support and resources homeschooling will get with ot being far more normal and not just something that extremists and ideologues do.

Outside of that I believe the US will be experiencing a far lower birth rate than OTL considering the amount of stress and scrutiny young people are suffering from. We are already dealing with low birth rates so I do believe we might reach South Korea levels.

Another thing is that we might see anti-immigration sentiment becoming the norm simply on account that people will be far less willing to support or tolerate immigrants do to dealing with several more problems than OTL.

Yep! I'm a big fan of mish mashing PODs if they make sense and a 9/11 where the Capitol building is hit felt too weak to make its own TL out of. So here all the planes hit their intended targets. This will cause butterflies big and small.
Are there going to be any notable casualties from United Airlines Flight 93 hitting the Capitol in TTL’s 9/11?

I actually had no idea that this happened. I'm actually heavily inclined to butterfly it away so as to create a small bright spot in the TL.
If you want to, that’s fine. I just thought that mentioning it would work, given the nature of this TL so far.

Good lord no, I was not a fan of No W.
I'm surprised you don’t like it, tbh. I thought it was a pretty good “dark early 2000s” TL and this timeline is actually kind of giving me those same vibes.

To be fair, the part of No W that I was referring to was the part in the TL when AA Flight 587 crashed and, because it had taken place just 2 months after 9/11, it was immediately concluded by the U.S. government to be a terrorist attack rather than an accident like IOTL, and resulted in the government opening up investigations into other aviation accidents in recent years that they thought to be terrorist attacks, but actually weren’t (such as 1996’s TWA Flight 800). I thought that something similar to that would be where this TL would go if the AA 587 crash was brought up in here as well.

Last edited:
I already mentioned in an earlier post the Xbox was butterflied away, but you can rest easy knowing that Sony and Nintendo are going to keep making consoles.
Wait, Microsoft collapsed, am I remembering right? Maybe this could be Sega's big chance to stay afloat.
Outside of that I believe the US will be experiencing a far lower birth rate than OTL considering the amount of stress and scrutiny young people are suffering from. We are already dealing with low birth rates so I do believe we might reach South Korea levels.
I could see that happening.
I've mentioned repeatedly that organized, government directed censorship of films and movies aren't going to pass constitutional muster. The same court ruled that videos of animal cruelty are a-ok to watch and distribute. The actual flagrant abuses of power are going to take a different, but more typical shape.
Well, at least everything won't be getting overtly censored...

Wait, Microsoft collapsed, am I remembering right? Maybe this could be Sega's big chance to stay afloat.
The only way I can see a resurgent Sega console business happening now the following:
1. The current backlog of Dreamcast consoles and hardware get sold by the end of 2002.
2. Instead of Sammy, someone who cares about pushing the hardware like Panasonic or Toshiba buys them out and begins building the next console to take advantage of DVD's or it's successors.
3. The new corporate officers need a bottom line that understands that the success in one region does not translate to another.

3. The new corporate officers need a bottom line that understands that the success in one region does not translate to another.
So a protest of sorts? That could work.
1. The current backlog of Dreamcast consoles and hardware get sold by the end of 2002.
Stop all production. How many Dreamcasts were made in total?
2. Instead of Sammy, someone who cares about pushing the hardware like Panasonic or Toshiba buys them out and begins building the next console to take advantage of DVD's or it's successors.
I could see Panasonic doing it. Hell, how about Apple just for the shock factor?

Are there going to be any notable casualties from United Airlines Flight 93 hitting the Capitol in TTL’s 9/11?

The death toll will be different from OTL but the Capitol building getting hit will only marginally affect things; thanks to butterflies you have different people in the World Trade Center and on the airplanes (for that matter the airplanes probably wouldn't even be the same ones that were hijacked IOTL).

If you want to, that’s fine. I just thought that mentioning it would work, given the nature of this TL so far.

Of course, like I said it's an interesting idea but this timeline is already so chock full of death that I think it's better to butterfly it away. There's going to be more awful thing happening later on ITTL anyways so IMO it's better to have some positive developments here and there.

I'm surprised you don’t like it, tbh. I thought it was a pretty good “dark early 2000s” TL and this timeline is actually kind of giving me those same vibes.

I don't want to shit on Lost Freeway too much because I know how hard it is to write a good story, and writing a good alternate history story has its own unique difficulties. That being said I found No W to be needlessly edgy with an amateurish writing style. I felt like it was trying to ape the success of other, more popular dystopic TLs like Icarus Falls and Rumsfeldia*, but without understanding why they were popular, lacking the more polished writing either of them had, and while indulging in those TLs biggest faults at the same time. If anything this TL has a small bit owed to Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran by @dartingfog, since that clued me in to some of the very real anti-terrorism legislation bandied about OTL, so I just followed that rabbit hole until I found what I was looking for.

*Granted I disliked Rumsfeldia too.

Correct, Microsoft is split up, and I plan on covering the consequences of that.

I wonder what Grand Theft Auto III and the Grand Theft Auto series in general will look like ITTL
Honestly, I doubt anything beyond GTA III would get made at all at this point. I think it's likely GTA III would have it's release date of Oct 23 pulled and never get released at all ITTL.

Honestly, I doubt anything beyond GTA III would get made at all at this point. I think it's likely GTA III would have its release date of Oct 23 pulled and never get released at all ITTL.
I can remember seeing old Beta videos and photos of GTA III and they looked more cartoonish and colorful from the product we got

So maybe ITTL its like that

Last edited:
The y can always just make it more based on cops rather than criminals allowing them to avoid some of the backlash.

I can remember seeing old Beta videos and photos of GTA III and they looked more cartoonish and colorful from the product we got

So many ITTL its like that

Some interesting ideas here. I’m not big on pop culture so I have to play catch up in comparison to everything else so I’ll keep both of these in mind.