Taiping World

WARNING: China-wank! This timeline was partially inspired by the Chung Kuo Series by David Wingrove. While I have yet to read any of the books, I look forward to doing so. Essentially, a future history where the Chinese end up ruling the entire planet. All of Earth is divided into seven unitary states, each presided over by a T'ang. There is a state for each of the five habitable continents plus two more for Eurasia. Of course, I have yet to actually READ the book, but the one thing that seems truly implausible is the fact that this uber-China is a resurrected imperial China, when I would expect such an uber-China to essentially be a supersized Peoples Republic of China, and that this world empire would be composed of seven continental republics. But alas, I need to read. I trust that the author explains how an Emperor was restored.

In the mean time, I have thought of my own Super Chung Kuo scenario, beginning with what I believe to be the most recent time in the past when China could have begun a globe spanning empire. I will follow the example of Tony Jones in organizing my timeline.

The DIVERGENCE...

During the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), China went through a severe decline, and by the end it was raided by European imperial powers (and Japan). Aside from missing out on the Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution, the Qing dynasty became weak, decadent, and corrupt.

Japan, on the other hand, was similarly disadvantaged initially, but the Japanese were able to accept Western influence and modernize, becoming a major world power in a few decades. Why did Meiji Japan succeed when Qing China failed?

I selected the Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864) as a possible turning point. What if they had succeeded? With a huge population and a developing economy, were China to take the major route, the world may never be the same.

...Another poor deluded soul who ascribes to the lie of seven continents.

Get a blank outline of the world. Count the landmasses. "Europe" is NOT a continent. "Asia" is not a continent. Europe is part of Eurasia. That is one continent. One can use the older definition of a continent as a major landmass, or one can use the newer modified definition influenced by the theory plate tectonics. In either case, Europe does not warrant any geographic or geologic classificiation as a continent. Neither as a distinct landmass or a tectonic plate. (There is a Eurasian Plate but not a "European Plate" or "Asiatic Plate.")

Europe is not even a sub-continent. India is the only region to have that classification, but that is due to it being part of the Eurasian landmass but on the Australian Plate. The only other parts of the Eurasian landmass on tectonic plates with a marked seperation from the Eurasian Plate are the Arabian penninsula (on its own tectonic plate), and possibly Yakutska (appears to be on the North American Plate, though some early maps showed Alaska on the Eurasian Plate). Europe is therefore a super-penninsula.

The whacky "there-are-seven-continents-theory" derives from a European inferiority complex. Because white people are SO important they have to have their own special continent! (It is the same reason why people divided the Caucasian race into Alpines, Armenoids, Baltics, Cro-Magnoids, Dinarics, Mediterraneans, Nordics, etc. when they assumed the other major races to be unified. Because such individuals thought Europeans were too special to only have one race.) Even though common sense and rudimentary counting ability are sufficient to debunk this myth, it never-the-less persists. To be fair, however, there seems to be a new Lie of Eight Continents, as the Middle East seems to be classified as distinct.

Yes! I posted a thread on a possilbe successful Taiping Rebellion! Sounds like a cool idea, my only reservation is that the leaders of the rebeliion were mega super crazy. Just rember that as you move ahead!

Oh sure, Eurasia is a geologic continent. But why go with geology?

Take the map of the world below. I have shown fourteen different cultural areas (although, admittedly, I am simplifying a bit).

Six of them are in Eurasia.
Five are in Africa (including, for me, the two most debatable areas of "North Africa" and "Central Africa").
Three are in the rest of the world.

Surely six is a bit too much? Why put almost half of these cultural regions in one continent? Why put (my off-the-top estimate) more than 70% of the world's population in one continent? Shouldn't we break it up?

As it happens, the one of these areas that is most off on its own is Europe. It makes less sense to split off any of the other five into its own continent than Europe. So, geologically, you're absolutely right. But for most other purposes, I feel the seven-continent system is more appropriate.

regions.PNG

Get a blank outline of the world. Count the landmasses. "Europe" is NOT a continent. "Asia" is not a continent. Europe is part of Eurasia. That is one continent. One can use the older definition of a continent as a major landmass, or one can use the newer modified definition influenced by the theory plate tectonics. In either case, Europe does not warrant any geographic or geologic classificiation as a continent. Neither as a distinct landmass or a tectonic plate. (There is a Eurasian Plate but not a "European Plate" or "Asiatic Plate.")

Europe is not even a sub-continent. India is the only region to have that classification, but that is due to it being part of the Eurasian landmass but on the Australian Plate. The only other parts of the Eurasian landmass on tectonic plates with a marked seperation from the Eurasian Plate are the Arabian penninsula (on its own tectonic plate), and possibly Yakutska (appears to be on the North American Plate, though some early maps showed Alaska on the Eurasian Plate). Europe is therefore a super-penninsula.

The whacky "there-are-seven-continents-theory" derives from a European inferiority complex. Because white people are SO important they have to have their own special continent! (It is the same reason why people divided the Caucasian race into Alpines, Armenoids, Baltics, Cro-Magnoids, Dinarics, Mediterraneans, Nordics, etc. when they assumed the other major races to be unified. Because such individuals thought Europeans were too special to only have one race.) Even though common sense and rudimentary counting ability are sufficient to debunk this myth, it never-the-less persists. To be fair, however, there seems to be a new Lie of Eight Continents, as the Middle East seems to be classified as distinct.

Just an off topic question, since the OP went there ... If we go by tectonic plates around the globe then how many "continents" are there?:D

Somebody has a stick up their ass.

'Continent' has no one definition. Tectonic plates don't work since, as you pointed out, Arabia (and Tamatchka or however you spell it) are both on separate plates than the rest of Eurasia. Land masses don't work, since that makes Eurasia-Africa, Antarctica, Australia, and America the only major continents.

It really is better to use the pseudo-colloquial definitions that come to us from history. There is no 'lie' going on here and you're trying to poison the well by saying there is. Europe is north of the Caucasus, west of the Urals; Asia is east of the Bosporus, north of the Sinai, and east of the Urals; Africa is south of the Mediterranean, south of the Sinai; North America is north of Panama, South America is south of Panama; Australia/Oceania is...Australia (and Oceania); Antarctica is Antarctica.

Trying to be a nit-picking dick about something which is, as you yourself point out, not definitive is really just a heated kind of trolling.

Originally Posted by Codae
Oh sure, Eurasia is a geologic continent. But why go with geology?

Well, because continents are geological concepts. Why not go with geology? I should ask why you go with sociology in classifying continents. After all, you do not see anyone using psychology to classify the stars. (Why go with astronomy?)

Take the map of the world below. I have shown fourteen different cultural areas (although, admittedly, I am simplifying a bit).

Six of them are in Eurasia.
Five are in Africa (including, for me, the two most debatable areas of "North Africa" and "Central Africa").
Three are in the rest of the world.

The map which you posted displays cultural regions, not purely geographic ones, even if they are marked by geographic boundaries or features, and such cultural regions tend to have a high degree of arbitrarity in their construction. Why do you confuse matters of geology and physical geography with the social sciences?

Surely six is a bit too much? Why put almost half of these cultural regions in one continent? Why put (my off-the-top estimate) more than 70% of the world's population in one continent? Shouldn't we break it up?

As it happens, the one of these areas that is most off on its own is Europe. It makes less sense to split off any of the other five into its own continent than Europe. So, geologically, you're absolutely right. But for most other purposes, I feel the seven-continent system is more appropriate.

Because the number of (arbitrarily defined) cultural areas bears no relevance to the number of continents. And population has even less relevance. (Also, if in fact Eurasia has over 70% of the world population, a figure which I believe to be an exaggeration, would it not make more sense to at least bisect the continent in such a way where the two halves are more even in population. I do not see why Europe is SO special that it alone gets honorary continent status when the related Middle East is more part of "Europe" than "Asia," at least in terms of race and culture.)

Originally Posted by Jaded_Railman
Somebody has a stick up their ass.
Trying to be a nit-picking dick about something which is, as you yourself point out, not definitive is really just a heated kind of trolling.

If you have a legitimate disagreement, or well-reasoned arguments to the contrary, then I appreciate your feedback. But if you are just going to be a contrarian asshole, then I would kindly appreciate it if you fuck off!

'Continent' has no one definition.

Continent has a coherent definition, or at least should. If we were to dwell in your postmodern wishy-washy world where words mean whatever we wish, then what the hell is the point of even having words? We might as well speak jibberish. The starting definition of continent is a major contiguous landmass, which is entirely or mostly distinct from other such landmasses.

Tectonic plates don't work since, as you pointed out, Arabia (and Tamatchka or however you spell it) are both on separate plates than the rest of Eurasia. Land masses don't work, since that makes Eurasia-Africa, Antarctica, Australia, and America the only major continents.

Granted, if we go purely by the traditional definition of landmasses we get different results from those we get by going purely by tectonic plates. The tectonic approach is a lot less arbitrary, but more counter-intuitive. The traditional approach makes a lot more sense intuitively, but is inherently more arbitrary. The results of the two different classification methods are seemingly contradictory, but they are not irreconcilable. For instance, according to the traditional classification, India belongs to the continent of Eurasia. However, according to a purely tectonic approach, India is clearly not part of Eurasia, and in fact, is arguably part of the Australian continent. A reasonable proposal would be to start with visible boundaries of landmasses and combine plate tectonics to refine this classification.

Rather than undermine the traditional continental classification, plate tectonics actually affirms many of the traditional continental classifications.
  1. Plate tectonics removes some of the arbitrarity of continental definitions. For instance, if we go purely by visible landmasses, what bodies of land qualify as continents. Obviously it is not feasible to call every single island a continent. However, we can reasonably call the largest bodies of land continents. The six continents: Eurasia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, and Australia are all the largest contiguos land areas, ranked in order from largest to smallest. The continental status of the four largest, at least seems obvious, but what about Antarctica and Australia? Are they large enough to qualify as continents or are they just large islands? What about large oceanic or offshore islands? Do Greenland, Madagascar, or New Zealand qualify in their own right? If we ignore plate tectonics, then this raises the question of how big is big enough to qualify as a continent, and how small is too small. How do we distinguish between small continents like Antarctica and Australia and large islands like Greenland and Madagascar? The answer, aside from the fact that the smallest "continent" is larger than the largest "island," is that each continent has its own tectonic plate, on which it is entirely or mostly located. Eurasia is on the Eurasian plate (with some exceptions), Africa is on the African plate, North America is on the North American plate, South America is on the South American plate, Antarctica is on the Antarctic plate, and Australia is on the Australian plate. All the major landmasses have corresponding tectonic plates. Large landmasses like Greenland and Madagascar are not continents, as they do not occupy their own tectonic plate. Greenland and Madagascar are offshore islands of North America and Africa, respectively, as both are entirely located on those tectonic plates.
  2. Rather than undermine the traditional designation of the continents, plate tectonics largely affirms the classification of continents. The distinction of tectonic plates marks the distinction between adjacent, and sometimes adjoined continents. For instance, the major tectonic plates affirm the distinction between North American and South America, and Africa and Eurasia, even though the paired continents are very close, and connected by small bodies of land (the Isthmus of Panama and the Sinai Penninsula respectively). The plate tectonic theory of continental drift supports the division of Earth's land area into six continents. Most of the six continents overlap with their respective tectonic plate in such a way that the continent is almost entirely located on top of a tectonic plate. There are of course exceptions, mostly minor, where coastal lands and islands straddle the boundaries of tectonic plates, but the two major discrepancies are the Arabian Penninsula, and the Indian subcontinent, which was once a distinct landmass after it split from Gondwanaland but before it merged with Eurasia. Note, however that the boundaries between tectonic plates are never fine lines, but rather wide gaps often marked by ridges, trenches, fissures, and convolutions.
  3. Plate tectonics removes more of the arbitrarity inherent in dividing the continents. Aside from defining which landmasses are big enough, and which ones are too small, or reaffirming the visible boundaries of landmasses and the distinction between otherwise non-contiguos linked by a tiny land bridge, plate tectonics help determine which offshore landmasses or islands belong to which continent. For instance, where does Asia end and Australia begin? Specifically, to which continent does Papua New Guinea belong? We know from geology that New Guinea, which is on the continental shelf of Australia, is an offshore part of the Australian continent, divided from mainland Australia by a shallow sea that was once dry land during the Ice Age. The boundary between the Eurasian and Austalian plates helps determine which islands belong to the continent of Eurasia and which belong to the continent of Australia.
Going by landmasses, we can observe six major landmasses, either entirely separate or joined to a neighboring landmass by a very tiny body of land relative to their land areas, and numerous smaller landmasses, usually near the larger landmasses. Going by tectonic plates, we can observe continental and oceanic plates, the continental plates largely correspond to their respective continents, but there are some discrepancies, notably Arabia and India, which are contiguous with Eurasia but on entirely separate tectonic plates. We can resolve such discrepancies by calling these land areas "sub-continents" (currently India is the only land conventionally designated as such). For purposes of consistency, I have the following glossary:

continent large, major contiguous landmass, entirely, or mostly separate from other such landmasses; often characterized by its own tectonic plate with which it mostly overlaps

subcontinent major area of a continental landmass located on a separate tectonic plate from the most of the rest of the continent; examples include the Arabian Penninsula and the Indian Subcontinent

trans-continental isthmus small body of land adjoining two otherwise non-contiguous continents; examples would include the Sinai Penninsula linking Africa and Eurasia, and the Isthmus of Panama linking North and South America, also the Bering Land Bridge which connected Eurasia and North America during the last Ice Age [Note that none of these examples are continuous landmasses any more. The Suez Canal and the Panama Canal geographically divide these lands.]

trans-continental archipelago a chain of islands linking two separate continents, such as that between Eurasia and Australia

microcontinent a medium landmass completely separated by ocean or sea from a continent and lying on an oceanic tectonic plate [Note, I know of no such example aside from New Zealand, which probably could qualify as such as I think it is on Pacific Plate, along the edge.]

supercontinent or macrocontinent a collection of two or more adjacent continents linked either by a trans-continental isthmus or via an archipelago; examples would include Africa-Eurasia-Australia (the "Old World") and the Americas (the "New World") [Note this is a neologistic use, as there already is a term, supercontinent, with an entirely different definition. When geologists use the term they refer to eras when continents were larger and fewer in number, specifically referring to Pangea, or Laurasia and Gondwanaland. Therefore, I would not advise using this term as such, though some might find the concept useful.]

It really is better to use the pseudo-colloquial definitions that come to us from history. There is no 'lie' going on here and you're trying to poison the well by saying there is.

No it is not. The concept of "continents" in which "Europe" and "Asia" were regarded as distinct continents is a primitive idea which predates our scientific age. It is a relic of a time when geocentricism was regarded as the correct model of the universe and heliocentricism was regarded as heresy, when many people postulated a flat Earth, and maps often included the warning, "Here be Dragons." If you insist on using a pre-scientific definition of continent where social studies trumps hard science, perhaps you should put astrology on equal footing with astrophysics and astronomy. At least then you would be consistent. The "lie of seven continents" consists of using an otherwise reasonable definition of continent, except in the case of Eurasia, which suddenly is two "continents" despite the fact that a four-year-old can probably tell otherwise. I am a linguistic correctness Nazi. Guilty as charged. Sorry for believing that words should have coherent, consistent, meaningful, reasonable, and unambiguous definitions.

Europe is north of the Caucasus, west of the Urals; Asia is east of the Bosporus, north of the Sinai, and east of the Urals; Africa is south of the Mediterranean, south of the Sinai; North America is north of Panama, South America is south of Panama; Australia/Oceania is...Australia (and Oceania); Antarctica is Antarctica.

The problem with that proposal is that it is FUCKING STUPID! I grant that ALL continental classifications have some inherent degree of arbitrarity, notably in cases where otherwise separate continents are connected, but the land bridge is always narrow. The margin of error in measuring and computing the area of Eurasia and Africa is the size of the Sinai Peninsula, and the margin of error in measuring and computing the area of North America and South America depends where on the Isthmus of Panama one draws the line (for simplicity, one can draw a straight line at more or less the exact point where the Isthmus joins the round margin of South America). However, since canals cut accross both such land bridges, we can simply define the continental boundaries at those canals.

Either way, the lands linking these continents are the narrowest continuous stretches of land. By contrast, the purely imaginary boundary between "Europe" and "Asia" is near the maximum width of the European "continent." Do you know any other continent divided in such a way? Adjoining landmasses are typically divided at the narrowest point, not the widest, and there are plenty of mountain-river-lake chains with which to divide continents in North America, South America, and Africa. Why not divide those continents arbitrarily?

Your boundaries do not even make sense! If the Urals and the Black Sea mark boundaries between "Europe" and "Asia" what about the plains between? I find it odd that you are in total agreement with my definition of continent in all other cases, (you agree that North America and South America are separate continents, despite being connected by an isthmus, that Africa is a distinct continent despite being adjoined to its neighbor by the Sinai Peninsula, that Antarctica and Australia are continents in their own right despite their small size but tiny Greenland is not) except in the case of Eurasia, which magically becomes two continents. If you really must insist on bisecting the continent as such, why not at least divide longitudinally with a straight line from the Urals down, which would include the Middle East as part of "Europe," this makes much more sense than the more "traditional" distinction between Europe and Asia. That at least seems to intuitively match our concept of the racial and cultural distinctions between East and West, with Caucasoids who mostly belong to Abrahamic religions in "Europe" and Mongoloids who mostly belong to the Dharmic religions in "Asia." (The main exception is India, as South Asians are a distinct racial group more closely related to Caucasoids than Mongoloids, but Indians are usually considered "Asian" and Middle Easterners are generally considered "White" or "Caucasian".) This at least matches our conceptions of who is ethnically White or Asian. Also, a straight line from the Ural Mountains to the Arabian Sea is at least simpler.

Either my opponents are stupid or stubborn. It would be extremely unfair to make such an insulting accusation against the intellect of Codae and Jaded_Railman, both of whom I believe to be of at least, more or less, average intelligence (i.e. they're not stupid). However, I would expect them to be able to critically examine their own beliefs. Were they in fact of very low intelligence, I can forgive them, but that is not the case. They should know better, but argue for the sake of arguing, not to determine the truth. In otherwords, being contrarian assholes. Why not admit that, at least this time, I am right? I have provided coherent, consistent definitions, and presented my reasons. If I am wrong, why not refute my arguments with facts and/or logic rather than insist that whatever dogmas you were indoctrinated with are true? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts.

:mad: NOW NO MORE OF THIS! I made my case, let's PLEASE get back on topic. This tangent has gone too far. :mad:

Last edited:
BACK ON TOPIC

Sorry, we all went off on a tangent there, way off!

Originally Posted by Leistungsfähiger Amerikan
Yes! I posted a thread on a possilbe successful Taiping Rebellion! Sounds like a cool idea, my only reservation is that the leaders of the rebeliion were mega super crazy. Just rember that as you move ahead!

I can find many threads on this topic. As to the leadership being "mega super crazy," that could pose a serious problem, though not right away. Early on, said craziness was more of an asset, as the Taiping leadership was charismatic, fanatical, and visionary. This was great for getting a revolution started. However, said asset of craziness quickly became a crippling libability. I assume that even if the Taiping leadership was mostly comprised of crazies, there had to have been some more moderate individuals in power, and perhaps a more successful Taiping movement would have had moderate leaders counter-balancing the radical leaders.

ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES

Taiping
Advantages:
  • populist leadership
  • charismatic
  • visionary
Disadvantages:
  • lack of Western assistance
Qing
Advantages:
  • established order
  • had foreign backing
    • mercenaries, Western support, training, and armament
Disadvantages:
  • extremely unpopular
    • Manchus, "foreign devils"
  • many enemies
It seems that the major reason for the military success of the Qing overlords, and the military failure of the Taiping Rebellion was that the Qing were backed by Western powers, notably the British, and benefitted from European military training, imported weaponry, and foreign mercenaries. If the Taiping faction were able to ally with outside powers against the Qing, then they almost certainly would have succeeded. From a military standpoint, there appeared to be no other blunders on the part of the Taiping rebels other than perhaps neglecting to unite rival factions against the Qing Dynasty.

The question is thus, how might Hong Xichuan have persuaded foreigners that it was in their interest to support him and his comrades, and to oppose the Qing. For whatever reason, Hong failed to cut a deal with the British, French, or anyone else.

Wouldn't it be simpler to start several centuries earlier, and have China continue sending out treasure fleets and eventually build an empire which would span the world?

Faeelin

Banned
Wouldn't it be simpler to start several centuries earlier, and have China continue sending out treasure fleets and eventually build an empire which would span the world?

Oof. The treasure fleets are interesting, but are best understood as a Chinese Apollo Project, not the prelude to Chinese America.

@ Leistungsfähiger Amerikan:

Well, the fanaticism of the Taiping faction, as we discussed before, could be both an asset and a liability. Probably beneficial in the short-term, but destined to become a fatal liability in the long term. I am in total agreement with you that a theocracy would be BAD, but the outcome of this TL's Taiping Revolution would be tied to whether or not the moderates or the radicals have the bigger sway. In most historical revolutions there were more radical and more moderate factions.

In the long term, the theology and ideology of the Taiping elite might impact the long-term standing. The benefits:
  • The ideology of the Taipings was in many ways progressive, and much more favorable to the "West" than the more conservative Qing Dynasty. There seemed to be more openness to Western-style technology and innovation, as well as opposition to foot-binding (a practice most of us would consider barbaric), and support for more rights for women.
  • Being as the Taiping religion was a Christian sect, albeit one which might be deemed heretical, or at least heterorthodox, this could be a bargaining chip for the Taiping. They can argue that it would be better for European interests to have a Christian, or "quasi-Christian" Chinese leadership than to leave the country under the "heathen" Qing. Also, the Taiping version of Christianity might appeal to Westerners (i.e. white Europeans and Americans).
Of course, the Taiping philosophy carried with it serious disadvantages. Were they open to moderation, or was the lunatic fringe always in charge? For instance, IOTL, the Taiping were not afraid to resort to outright genocide.

I think the question is whether the Taiping would revert to a repressive Sino-Christian Taliban, or if they would mature into a more tolerant regime. The latter example was set by the old Persian Empire (which managed to be tolerant of the various pagan religions of their subjects and that Hebraic religion which spawned Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, despite vehemently promoting the Zoroastrian way), or the Hellenic Empire of Alexander the Great and its successor kingdoms, or Mughal Empire. Such pluralistic empires tended to have some success, and often oversaw syncretism.

Originally Posted by ryackov

That is a good point. Of the many Super Chung Kuo scenarios, many are future scenarios, not counterfactual scenarios, exemplified by Wingrove's Chung Kuo. I imagine that most people consider the Ming Dynasty a better POD for such a scenario. I just selected a successful Taiping Revolution as a POD because it was relatively recent. What if China modernized (i.e. went Meiji) during the Qing Dynasty. Of course, the problem is that the Qing Dynasty was weak, ineffective, decadent, and corrupt. The OTL Taiping rebels could not get their act together. But what if China modernized? Think late 19th century or early 20th century Japan, only with nearly one billion people. (I know the global population was significantly lower in the 19th century, I think barely over two billion globally, but I know that China had hundreds of millions back then.)

In retrospect, perhaps the Ming Dynasty would be a better POD. That, or perhaps the Mongol Empire. The problem with the latter is that the Mongols spread their own culture. The only Mongolian overlords to become Sinicized were those presiding over China, the Yuan Dynasty, and by then the other Khanates were dissolving. Slavs (not just the Rus, Poles and Lithuanians as well) regained control of the lands of the Golden Horde. The Ottomans "rebuilt" the Middle East.

Hendryk

Banned
I selected the Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864) as a possible turning point. What if they had succeeded? With a huge population and a developing economy, were China to take the major route, the world may never be the same.
I'd advise you to pick another POD. The Taiping were the beta version of the Maoists, and to see them succeed in their attempted takeover would lead to a complete dystopia.

Really, I mean it. As fond as I am of Sinowank TLs, I'd rather see China go through another century of decline rather than face the nightmare of Taiping rule. The results would be the same as those of the Cultural Revolution in OTL.

I'd advise you to pick another POD. The Taiping were the beta version of the Maoists, and to see them succeed in their attempted takeover would lead to a complete dystopia.

Really, I mean it. As fond as I am of Sinowank TLs, I'd rather see China go through another century of decline rather than face the nightmare of Taiping rule. The results would be the same as those of the Cultural Revolution in OTL.

I agree with this to some extent. But the Taiping treatment of civilians is horrid, and in a Taiping victory scenario we could see the first genocide of the Manchu.The Taipings were fond of modernization, so I think there could be the equivalent of a Chinese Mejing reform, which will lead to social reform, after maybe 40-70 years, if the Taiping dynasty is still authoritarian. This could lead to another civil war, or peaceful revolution, depending on many factors, mainly, how 'nice' the Taiping rulers are. It may also lead to a greater China, as a more powerful China may want its own sphere of influence. There could be wars with almost any European Colonial power, plus Japan and Russia. As for the foriegn relationships with Europe, I have no idea. On the one hand, if the Taiping open China to trade the Europeans will be happy. On the other hand, they are a crazy heretical christian sect. So it's a coin toss IMO.

Granted, many of the replies state that this scenario would lead to a dystopia. I do not know enough to say one way or another, so I depend on people with a better understanding and knowledge of 19th century China, but I appreciate the feedback.

CHAPTER ONE - Rise of the Taiping

How the Taiping movement launched a successful revolution and took over all of China. (How did they persuade foreign powers to help them?)

What direction might this regime take? Perhaps more moderate leaders balanced out the fanatics, and they restored some semblance of peaceful order. Perhaps I am being too optimistic about the possibility of anything productive emerging from the Taiping order.

Anyways, the Qing lose province after province, which all end up under Hong Xichuan. The future course of the Taiping faction depends on who succeeds Hong after his death. IOTL the Taiping rebels were not very pleasant people, but I do not see why more sober leaders can not carry on the movement. Perhaps a revitalized China could modernize as Meiji Japan did. While I would imagine that the Taiping regime would impose their brand of Christianity on China, there is the possibility that they try to be a little tolerant, perhaps following the example of the Mughal Empire.

Of course, worst case scenario, the Taiping launch a "Cultural Revolution" against the old Confucian establishment almost a century before Mao. I noticed many here consider the Taiping rebellion to be an eery foreshadowing of Maoism. To be fair, I do not know enough, but I appreciate your critiques.

CHAPTER TWO - The Northern Kingdom

[Note if any mapmakers wish to make some maps, I appreciate it, just make sure you make it based on maps of the world at the time. Do not make the mistake of using present-day geopolitical boundaies.]

By the time all of China was placed under the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, Hong Xichuan and his successor have ruled over a land even greater than OTL modern China. (Even in their decline, the boundaries of Qing Dynasty China were beyond those of the People's Republic of China. All of Mongolia and all of Manchuria plus more of Turkestan were under Qing rule.) The new regime was better able to hold its own against the predation of European empires, and these European nations found it better to cooperate with the Heavenly Kingdom than to attempt to subvert it.

Eventually, the Emperor set his sights on the old Russian Empire. IOTL, Imperial Russia was bitterly defeated by Meiji Japan, which had the benefits of Meiji Period modernization and British assistance. Imagine if China had these advantages.

In case you did not guess, China conquers the Russian Empire...
:eek: of course it might not seem plausible... This is a wank! :p

Rather than annex all of the Russian Empire, the Taiping leaders supplant the Romanov dynasty with a Chinese dynasty loyal to them. They are able to accomplish this using a combination of conquest and internal struggles. Eventually, a reformed version of Taiping Christianity is preached to the masses of peasants, who find the egalitarian teachings appealing.

In the midst of the internal strife, Polish revolutionaries fought the last remnants of the czarist regime for independence. In the end, the Chinese overlords made a semi-independent client kingdom out of Russian Poland, tributary to the Northern Kingdom.

Together the Zhong Guo (Middle Kingdom) and Bei Mian Guo (Northern Kingdom) form a power bloc to reckon with.

In the mean time, the Taiping encouraged colonization of far off regions of the former Russian Empire. Chinese was made the official language, and a lingua franca, though Russian and other languages will continue to be used. The Taiping began proselytizing in many of the Protestant countries of Europe, but they met much greater resistance in the Catholic countries. Will the Taiping be able to sweep through Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Iceland? (If they can take Russia, what's stopping them?) How will Prussia, Austria, France, and Britain react to the Chinese empire in their back yard? Stay tuned!

...Keep going or has the direction of this TL gone off the deep end? :eek: