Tagliacozzo: Conradin, King of Sicily, King of Jerusalem

Conradin
On 1268, Conradin would win against the usurper Charles, Count of Anjou and Provence and expel the French from Sicily and he would marry Elizabeth of Hungary, who is close to succession in Hungary, seeing that the Count of Provence and Anjou had married his son to Mary, a Hungarian Princess himself, Elizabeth was slightly older than her two sisters Mary and Catherine and was more ready give birth to children to neutralize the Hungarians from the camp of the Angevins.

Conradin would be crowned as Conrad I of Sicily on 1268, seeing opposition from Pope Clement IV, he would tell the pope that the succession of Swabia and Sicily would be kept separate after his reign before he was crowned as King of Sicily, he was with his wife, Elizabeth when he told the pope that the thrones would be kept Separate after he had died and also he would meet the pope to have the betrothal between Sophie of Landsberg and Conradin annulled which was done swiftly due to his betrothal being unconsummated and Elizabeth of Hungary and Conradin would be married after the annulment of the marriage.

He would free the children of Manfred from his second marriage but he would force the boys to be raised in a monastery for them to enter ecclesiastical vows while his two daughters, Beatrice and Flordelis would be under the custody of Conradin.

Last edited:
Elizabeth of Hungary
Elizabeth of Hungary’s marriage was negotiated between Conradin and the Hungarians to nullify their alliance with the Angevins, after the annulment of Conradin’s betrothal with Sophie of Landsberg, the Hungarians were very cautious about the marriage of Elizabeth and Conradin because the Hohenstauffens might inherit Hungary if her brother dies without issue, the two would be married after the annulment with Sophie of Landsberg was finalized, Elizabeth of Hungary would prove to be fertile herself as she would have lots of children with her husband and she would support her husband as King as long as he lived.

Issue of Conrad I of Sicily and Elizabeth of Hungary

Conrad b. January 10, 1271

Beatrice b. May 4, 1273

Elizabeth b. June 2, 1274

Frederick b. December 3, 1276

Constance b. January 2, 1280

Anna b. May 10, 1283

Agnes b. December 2, 1286

Heinrich b. May 10, 1290

Last edited:
The Habsburg alliance
On 1272, The Habsburgs would enter an alliance with Conrad I of Sicily against the Bohemians and Conrad I of Sicily wanted to ally with the Habsburgs for his friend, Frederick of Baden to regain Austria and Styria which was rightfully Rudolf I would marry his daughter, Judith to the young Conrad of Sicily, which would be reconsidered for a marriage between Frederick of Sicily and Judith.

After the coronation of Rudolf I, he had already made his daughters as bargaining chips and had already made the marriage matches although the last would be between Frederick of Baden and Rudolf I’s daughter, Clementia who is free at that time and nearing the beginning of her childbearing years soon.

On 1278, the Hungarians, Sicilian, and German troops would defeat Ottokar II which resulted in his death and Frederick of Baden has regained Austria and Styria and was finally crowned as Frederick III of Austria, the alliance between the Hohenstaffens, the House of Baden, and the Habsburgs the peace between the Habsburgs would be marrying Kunigunde of Bohemia to Conrad of Sicily and Elizabeth of Sicily to Prince Wenceslaus of Bohemia.

The Hohenstauffens were preoccupied with their issues with Sicily and with the Papacy which would make the Holy Roman Empire available to the Habsburgs but that would not be permanent as the Hohenstauffens would soon split their Sicilian and Swabian branches which would mean a possible return of the Hohenstauffens in the future.

Last edited:
Eleanor of England, daughter of Edward I
On 1285, Alfonso III of Aragon would be betrothed to Beatrice of Sicily to reconcile with the Sicilian Hohenstauffens and Alfonso III would marry Beatrice on 1290 which would mean that Alfonso III would set aside his betrothal to the English Princess, Eleanor of England, who would end up marrying Louis X of France on 1286 due to a peace treaty between France and England due to Gascony which was supposed to be along with a marriage between a French Princess namely, Margaret or her sister Blanche and Edward, Prince of Wales but that would not happen as Edward I wanted a marriage between Margaret, Queen of Scots and Edward, Prince of Wales but the nobles of Scotland would be against the marriage and instead she would end up marrying Thomas of Lancaster instead of Edward II of England who would marry Isabella of Castile.

Issue of Eleanor of England and Louis X of France

Jeanne b. December 10, 1288

Louis b. May 10, 1289 d. 1293

Margaret b. December 2, 1290

Philip V b. December 4, 1293

Charles b. May 10, 1294 d. 1296

Isabella b. January 2, 1295

John b. August 4, 1297

Last edited:
Hungarian succession
On the death of Ladislaus IV, Conrad I of Sicily would be interested in the crown of Hungary and was the preferred candidates of the barons against Andrew III of Hungary. The death of Fennena of Kuyavia in 1296 would be beneficial to Andrew III as it gave him a way to neutralize the claims of Conrad I and remarry to his second wife, Constance of Sicily.

Andrew III of Hungary would die after trying to consummate the marriage Constance of Sicily which would lead to Hungary to be under civil war again between the nobility of Hungary and Constance of Sicily would take Elizabeth of Hungary, who is a heiress that is useful for the Sicilians, Constance would enter a second marriage with Duke John III of Brittany in 1303 after she is widowed leaving Elizabeth in Sicilian custody.

Last edited:
Edward, Prince of Wales/Edward II
On 1300, Edward, Prince of Wales would marry Isabella of Castile and his father, Edward I would marry Margaret of France, Edward I would have only two girls with Margaret of France, namely Blanche(1301) and Marguerite(1306), Isabella of Castile would have a disastrous miscarriage in 1202 which would have prevented her from bearing any children which would have made the succession a question and the nearest male line claimant from the Plantagenets is the Duke of Lancaster on 1309 when Edward II became the King of England he would have tried to sire children with his wife Isabella with no success.

On the death of Edward II, the Kingdom of England would encounter a succession crisis on 1330 with the Duke of Lancaster and King of Scotland taking over, however, the French would confiscate Gascony as Eleanor of England is the heir to Gascony.