May 1976 president Hafez al-Assad sent his army into Lebanon to rescue the Christian militias. This created a situation where Syrian troops and Maronite militias fought side by side against the PLO and Lebanese Muslim militias. Why did al-Assad support the Maronites? My impression is that the Assads have normally supported the other side, as the Muslim population wanted a reunification with Syria.

Assad was invited into Lebanon by the Christian president, Frangieh, who I think was afraid of the Palestinians and considered Assad to be a rational secularist. Also note that in the early war, the Shiites and Maronites were "allied" in an enemy-of-my-enemy sort of way, as both disliked the [mostly Sunni] Palestinians in the South of the country. (also fun fact: in the early stages of the war, Israel and Syria were bascially on the same side)

Though the war later became much more complicated in terms of factionalism, it's not inaccurate to consider the early stages to have been "Everyone against the PLO", with some but not all Sunnis supporting the Palestinians.

It's actually kind of interesting, because the Palestinians at the time had adopted some Baathist trappings, and while Assad was technically Baathist, he tended to steer towards a slightly different strain (more economically liberal, for one). Also, he, too, was not a huge fan of the PLO.