Stupor Mundi – An HRE Timeline

Constance of Sicily
Constance of Sicily

On 1194, the population would not be convinced whether, the child that was announced was the son of Queen Constance of Sicily, she would decide to give birth to her son, Frederick in public in order to prove that he is her son, on her husband’s death on 1197, she would do things to reverse her husband’s tyrranical rule in Sicily

On 1199, the ill Constance of Sicily would give the guardianship of her own son, Frederick to the Pope herself causing Frederick to gain religious education which would help him the governship of the Kingdom of Sicily.

Constance of Sicily would die and sign off Frederick I of Sicily to the pope in order raise him and put the Kingdom of Sicily under regency under Philip of Germany who is now married to Irene Angelina temporarily while he would grow up to his majority and receive Catholic Education since 1199 and Philip of Germany and Irene Angelina would take care of the administration, on 1200 Irene Angelina would finally give birth to a son named Konrad, named after the dead brother of Philip of Germany.

But during his being under custody of Innocent III, Frederick would learn the skills of administration under Pope Innocent II himself, Frederick would be held by the pope when he is learning himself administrative skills and clerical practices under church supervision, he would be treated by Innocent III as his own son.

On 1200, Constance of Aragon would give birth to a daughter named Constance of Hungary and she would remarry to Vratislaus, the heir of Bohemia a few years after the death of her husband as she decided not to return to Aragon.

“The Hohenstauffens’s future has been decided as they would have both the branches surviving.”

Mathew de Paris

Rome, AD 1200

Frederick I of Sicily would ask his guardian, Innocent III, where is his mother, Constance.

“Where is my mother, Constance?”

Innocent III would hug the young king and tell him that his mother is already in heaven and it is his own destiny to rule.

Last edited:
Eleanor of Brittany
Eleanor of Brittany

On 1194, Leopold V of Austria would see that his own tournament horse is unwell and it would fall even before his tournament causing him to focus on the arrangement of his own marriage with Eleanor of Brittany, the niece of Richard I of England and sister of the heir of the King of England, Arthur of Brittany.

Baldwin of Bethune and Eleanor of Brittany would arrive in Austria, later along with Beatrice Commena, the Damsel of Cyprus and her father who was captive by the King would follow and when the release of Richard I of England was approved, Eleanor of Brittany and his son Frederick would marry, this would mean that the uncle of Eleanor of Brittany, Richard I would be released along with the release of Beatrice Commena and her father, Isaac of Cyprus.

Richard would be ransomed and Eleanor of Brittany would marry Frederick of Austria whose marriage is used to make peace between Austria and the Angevins and the conditions of the release of her uncle, Richard the Lionheart, she would see her uncle being released and greeted him but that was the last time she would see her own uncle or any of her own dynasty, aside from her both Beatrice Commena of Cyprus and her father, the former ruler of Sicily.

Vienna, Austria 1194

Eleanor of Brittany looked at her newly freed uncle and she knows that she is the one that would be exchanged for her uncles’ freedom

“I know that I am the one who will marry Frederick of Austria due to the sin of my cousin, Henry II of Champagne.”

Her uncle replied

“I did not kill Corrado of Montferrat.”

Eleanor of Brittany would reply at her uncle

“Yes, but my cousin, Henry should not have gotten the hand of Isabella of Jerusalem.”

“This would be our last time we would meet as just your niece, my king, the next time we will meet, I am the wife of the ruler of Austria.”

“Eleanor of Brittany was a dutiful Princess and loyal niece to her uncle and her dynasty.”

Mathew de Paris

Due to the marriage with the son of the Duke of Austria her own destiny would change as she would be the link to the Angevins, the House of Babenberg and Plantagenets, she would never forget her origins as a Plantagenet Princess and the niece of the King of England and a Breton Princes as well, and she would be a dutiful wife for her husband until the time he would die on 1210 and predecease his father and she would remain in Austria till her death in 1240.

The marriage would be consummated on 1198 and a pregnancy would be announced, giving birth to a princess Helena on 1199, she would give birth to four children who would survive infancy.

*Helena b. 1199, wife of Boleslaw the Pious

*Leopold VI b. 1202

*Gottfried b. 1206

*Margarethe b. 1212, Wife of Valdemar the Young of Denmark

Treaty of Le Goulet and Urraca of Castille
Treaty of Le Goulet and Urraca of Castille
The Treaty of Le Goulet was signed by Kings John of England and Philip II of France in May 1200. It concerned bringing an end to the war over the Duchy of Normandy and finalising the new borders of what was left of the duchy. The treaty was a victory for Philip in asserting his legal claims to overlordship over John's French lands. A consequence of the treaty was the separation of the Channel Islands from Normandy.

The terms of the treaty signed at Le Goulet, an island in the middle of the Seine river near Vernon in Normandy, included clarifications of the feudal relationships binding the monarchs. Philip recognised John as King of England, heir to his brother Richard I, and thus formally abandoned his prior support for Arthur I, Duke of Brittany, the son of John's late brother, Geoffrey II of Brittany. John, meanwhile, formally recognised the new status of the lost Norman territories by acknowledging the Counts of Boulogne and Flanders as vassals of the kings of France, not those of England, and recognised Philip as the suzerain of the continental lands in the Angevin Empire. John also bound himself not to support any rebellions on the part of the counts of Boulogne and Flanders.

Philip had previously recognised John as suzerain of Anjou and the Duchy of Brittany, but with the treaty of le Goulet he extorted 20,000 marks sterling as "relief" in payment for recognition of John's sovereignty of Brittany.

The treaty also included territorial concessions by John to Philip. The Vexin (except for Les Andelys, where Château Gaillard, vital to the defence of the region, was located) and the Évrécin in Normandy, as well as Issoudun, Graçay, and the fief of André de Chauvigny in Berry were to be removed from Angevin suzerainty and put directly into that of France.

The Duchy of Aquitaine was not included in the treaty. It was still held by John as heir to his still-living mother, Eleanor. The treaty was sealed with a marriage alliance between the Angevin and Capetian dynasties. John's niece Urraca, daughter of his sister Leonora and Alfonso VIII of Castile, married Philip's eldest son, Louis VIII of France (to be eventually known as Louis the Lion). The marriage alliance only assured a strong regent for the minority of Louis IX of France. Philip declared John deposed from his fiefs for failure to obey a summons in 1202 and war broke out again. Philip moved quickly to seize John's lands in Normandy, strengthening the French throne in the process.

Urraca would take the name of Eleanor after her marriage with Louis VIII in honor of her own grandmother and mother.
She would announce her pregnancy on 1203 and gave birth to her first daughter named Eleanor, which would be the first of many children, all in all these are her children.

*Eleanor b. 1203, wife of Ferdinand III of Castile

*Philip b. 1207

*Robert b.1216 Count of Flanders, husband of Marie, Countess of Flanders, daughter of Jeanne I of Flanders

*John b. 1219 – 1232

*Alphonse b. 1220, by marriage, of Toulouse, married to Joanna of Toulouse

*Isabelle b. 1224 – Abbess and Saint

Arthur of Brittany
Arthur of Brittany

Constance of Brittany on 1199 would announce her pregnancy with Guy de Thouars giving birth to fraternal twins named Conan and Alix on 1200.

On 1202, Sanchia of Portugal would arrive and enter a marriage with Arthur of Brittany after a long fought negotiation with the Portuguese, her arrival would be sudden as she looked like a saint and a maiden in contrast with the brash and warlike Arthur of Brittany, she would arrive after the negotiations of her mother, Constance of Brittany, Arthur of Brittany would feel that he would be ready to consummate the marriage with Sanchia but Sanchia would want to wait for its consummation because she has been removed from the convent to marry Arthur of Brittany on 1202.

Arthur would accept and recognize the loss of Normandy compared to his uncle, John and he would decide not to claim England himself as he would aspire to focus on the continental lands themselves as on the death of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Philippe Auguste would make Arthur as the new Duke of Aquitaine himself, after John’s fall from grace due to his marriage with Isabella of Angouleme.

Sanchia of Portugal would submit to her husband on 1203 on the directive of her mother in law, Constance of Brittany, who wanted to gain more in her own case against King John and make Arthur of Brittany the King of England and not John and Arthur would need children as soon as possible so that he would have successors soon so that his own succession is secure.

Sanchia of Portugal would announce her first pregnancy with her husband, Arthur, and gave birth to a son named Henry on 1203 and the couple would have four surviving children namely:

*Henry b. 1203

*William XI of Aquitaine b. 1204 married to Margaret, countess of Provence

*Marie b. 1206

*Geoffroy b. 1210

On 1216, after the defeat in the battle of bouvines and the barons war of his usurper uncle, since he was chosen as King by the English barons, Arthur would reclaim the throne of England from his uncle leaving the County of Anjou to his son, Geoffroy and Aquitaine to his son William, initially he would have raised William as the successor to the Duchy of Aquitaine since birth and his son, Henry as the Duke of Brittany and Count of Anjou but his ascension would have changed things.

A spurned betrothal and a dead bride
A spurned betrothal and a dead bride

On 1206, Jeanne of Burgundy would receive another marriage proposal from the two times divorced, Duke of Burgundy, Eudes III.

Jeanne of Burgundy would be surprised of the offer and wanted her marriage to be in the family and not with a man on the French realm.

Her maid is said to say that Jeanne was shocked of the Betrothal and the man being older was not nice to her and decided to send her sister instead

Jeanne offered her sister, Beatrice instead as the match to the duke who have not sons and Jeanne was quoted to be creeped out of the marriage proposal and she would decide to marry her cousin, Frederick I of Sicily instead, knowing that her uncle, Philip would have no sons.

Beatrice would dutifully accept the task given to her by her sister, Jeanne and went to Burgundy to marry her future groom in 1208 and was able to sire a male heir to the Duke of Burgundy, however due to the delicateness of her age and her becoming more frailer and frailer in the pregnancy, she would die giving birth to her son, Philip of Burgundy who would be the successor to the Duchy of Burgundy, Jeanne would continue her betrothal with Frederick I of Sicily and has acquired a dispensation from Pope Innocent III who is said to be against matches that are very close in relation but she would have paid huge amounts of money to procure such dispensation.

Jeanne of Burgundy and Frederick I of Sicily
Jeanne of Burgundy and Frederick I of Sicily

Frederick I of Sicily would receive the letter from his cousin Jeanne that states about a marriage proposal between them.

Frederick I of Sicily would ask Innocent II about Jeanne of Burgundy to Innocent III, since she is his cousin and the dispensation between them in order to marry.

Pope Innocent III would explain that they are already dispensated, however a divorce can be made if the two parties no longer want the marriage longer which would shock Frederick I of Sicily which would make Frederick I of Sicily shocked about their marriage and initially he would be dismissive of such marriage.

On the altar in Rome, the French cousin of Frederick I would reveal herself and she will reveal herself as as her cousin on the altar on 1208.

On the altar, she would ask Innocent III to be more supportive of their union, she is 16 years old and her groom is just fourteen years old just starting his own puberty and the ladies in waiting of Jeanne would follow her as well.

Innocent III would say to Jeanne that the marriage between the two of them can easily be dissolved and he asked Jeanne if she is seriously considering marrying her cousin, Jeanne would say yes and wanted to continue the marriage between them despite of the fact that they are extremely closely related.

Jeanne of Burgundy would say “I insist on marrying my cousin.”