Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

The Bavarian Military Order of Merit is divided into different Classes depending on the Rank of the Inductee into the Order, with the Grand Cross of the Order going to Field Marshals and Generals of Branch, all the way down to Military Merit Cross in three Grades that was given to Noncommissioned Officers and Enlisted men in the Bavarian Army. As has been noted before, Bavaria retains its own regular Army and Airforce in TTL with König Albrecht von Bayern as the Commander in Chief. By inducting Doktor Kristina Prinzessin von Preussen into the Order of Merit, 2nd Class he is implying what he thinks her Rank should be, that equivalent of a Major General, and shoving a thumb into the eye of the Chancellor of the Reichstag in the process.

Like always, any mistakes are my own.

Last edited:
Kiki also has a direct line to the Fursten herself and just imagine all the people she might be able to come up with in an emergency, not just the legal actually fullfilling their job title people.
A few years ago, (could be anything back to the 1980's with my memory), There was a serious earthquake in Japan. The Japanese government moved swiftly to help, however, the quickest out of the blocks to provide food and shelter were the Yakuza and they bridged the interim gap between the earthquake happening and government aid arriving.

In a similar situation, assuming Kat survived, I could see the Berlin underworld, at the suggestion* of Kat doing the same.

* It would genuinely be a suggestion, not a "suggestion". Kat may not be in the game, but there would be enough who remember that the only reason she never exceeded the the level of control her Father had was because she decided not to, and they respect that.

In a similar situation, assuming Kat survived, I could see the Berlin underworld, at the suggestion* of Kat doing the same.

* It would genuinely be a suggestion, not a "suggestion". Kat may not be in the game, but there would be enough who remember that the only reason she never exceeded the the level of control her Father had was because she decided not to, and they respect that.
A "suggestion" from the Tigress carries a hell of a lot of weight, even in the underworld.

Part 144, Chapter 2605
Chapter Two thousand Six Hundred Five

22nd January 1977

Friedrichshain, Berlin

The Volkspark was never empty, not even in midwinter. That made it a good place for a meeting which Kat would not want an official record of. It would also discourage the man she was meeting from doing anything stupid, a tall order at the best of times. Unfortunately, these were not the best of times.

“Good afternoon Birsha” Kat said pleasantly as she sat down on the park bench next to a man who was feeding pigeons. Considering how cold it was, she was thankful for the heavy grey wool coat she was wearing. The black frock coat Birsha Bleier had on was really too thin for this weather, but he was far too proud to admit to that, so he sat there shivering. Birsha gave her a baneful look. He had learned that Kat had resources that he could never match, to go to war with her would only have one outcome when one word from her and the entire combined weight of Berlin’s officialdom would fall heavily on him. He was forced to deal with her as an equal and that clearly wasn’t something he liked. Birsha was also the head of the organization that Kat’s father once led. Even if it was a mere shadow of what it had been under the leadership of Otto Mischner it was still something that needed to be handled with care.

“I don’t think I need to tell you how valuable my time is” Kat said, “So, you better have a good reason for requesting this meeting.”

“Justice” Birsha replied, “Or should I say justice for my people who died in the Alexanderplatz Station.”

“That is always in short supply” Kat said. She was aware, even if few others were, of the Biblical allusions behind the name that Birsha had selected for himself when he had reinvented himself when he had arrived in Berlin. The son of wickedness, indeed. Especially after his own fall from grace. “Most of those responsible are good at avoiding that sort of responsibility.”

“That is the way it always is” Birsha said, spitting each word out.

“Always has been, always will be” Kat replied, “My father had that exact same attitude. It was nothing short of a miracle that the Federal Police didn’t introduce him to Madam Guillotine in Spandau Prison. That was before the laws changed, so she was still very active. Sven Werth told me that they had him dead to rights, but lung cancer and knife wounds got him before they could.”

Birsha snorted, of course he would see the humor in that. Dead was dead, to die like that. A man like Otto Mischner dying in a shabby apartment in Pankow-Heinersdorf, while supposedly at the apex of power, in the manner he had was far less dignified than a quick, clean execution.

“You are correct that they are out of my reach” Birsha said, “They are not out of yours.”

“Yes” Kat said, “But that will take time.”

“I don’t care if it takes a thousand years” Birsha replied, “I want them in a prison cell.”

“That is the problem” Kat said, “Any Prosecutor will know that will put them well within your reach.”

“Yes, but I don’t want them dead” Birsha said, “What I want is for them to get what that piece of shit Mithras got. They deserve nothing less.”

Munich

Getting Nina to stay close was difficult because there was so much to see in the Munich Residence. It was easier with Louis Bernhard as he was still a couple months shy of his second birthday and he was in the very capable care of Fianna Dunn as they were led through the vast palace complex that was the Winter Residence of the Bavarian Kings. The uniform of the Medical Service got Kiki a few curious looks by the Staff, Ben’s blue Luftwaffe unform was apparently a regular sight.

Eventually, they entered a room that Ben had described to Kiki, Albrecht’s game room. Almost every stereotype of hyper masculinity was somehow represented in this room. Hunting trophies, a massive television set, pool table, and the full bar. It was absurd, but even Kiki was aware how this was basically the perfect playground for adult men.

“Benjamin” Albrecht said in greeting, Kiki was aware that Ben had become one of the Bavarian King’s favorites. “And your lovely wife Kristina, nice to see you Princess. It’s been a long time, months?”

That wasn’t an accident, Kiki had been actively avoiding Albrecht. Ben had not been so fortunate.

“When you awarded Ben the Maximilian Order for Science and Art” Kiki replied, “I have been very busy.”

“Something we can agree on” Albrecht said, “I saw you on the news, stepping off a helicopter that had landed on Alexanderplatz. That was really quite something.”

“There were news crews there?” Kiki asked, she had not been paying attention, there had been so much to do…

“I especially liked how you handed that journalist the stubs from the triage tags” Albrecht said, “That really put him in his place.”

“That was on television?” Kiki asked, slightly horrified that what had not been one of her best moments had been recorded. An obnoxious journalist had been questioning her. Out of frustration she had pulled the stack of the stubs from triage tags from her coat pocket, shoved them into his hands, and told him that was his story.

“Yeah, and as I said, that put him in his place” Albrecht replied with a smile. “That was why I decided that you should be inducted into the Order of Merit, the medal I intend to present to you today.”

“About that” Ben said, inserting himself into the conversation. “There seems to have been a mistake.”

“Yes” Kiki said, “Second Class would be improper.”

“Hardly” Albrecht replied, as he pulled an envelope out of his pocket and handed it to Kiki. “This ought to fix that.”

In the envelope were the red collar tabs and the shoulder straps of a Generalarzt. Kiki’s brother was going to be furious and the news of this would land in the Reichstag like an atomic bomb.

“Does Generaloberstabsarzt Biermann know about this?” Kiki asked.

“He wanted to know when you can arrange to go to your new assignment in Ulm?” Albrecht asked in reply.

Kiki gulped. They had contrived to do this, daring the politicians to challenge it.

Last edited:
“Yes, but I don’t want them dead” Birsha said, “What I want is for them to get what that piece of shit Mithras got. They deserve nothing less.”

If word of this reaches Imperial prosecutors, some of them will start licking their lips like a wolf seeing a fresh, fat, carcass.

It removes any possible "Yeah but..." argument, and very soon, politicians will look towards the next election and wanting to have an achievement to point to.
The minister responsible for maintenence budgets might be considering a new role as (on site) director of maintenance for German Antarctic Survey Mission shortly...

The politicians, concerned about the dangers of resurgent monarchy (imaginary or not), forgot that the military was the one that made the changes in relative political power possible. Largely by being stubborn eccentrics (Wolvogle) that were far less concerned about democracy than they were with not massacring fellow veterans (and civilians) over being part of peaceful demonstrations.

The old saying about the Prussians being an army with a state attached never got broken as thoroughly as two lost world wars would. This german army might be comparativly more democratic but it is nowhere near as ironclad committed to that ideal as it would in OTL by this time (and tamed to civilian control) and thus has no issues with throwing down such a gauntlet.

“I don’t care if it takes a thousand years” Birsha replied, “I want them in a prison cell.”

“That is the problem” Kat said, “Any Prosecutor will know that will put them well within your reach.”

Even hardened crime bosses and their people can be staunch patriots. Birsha is also fully aware that Kat is not to blame for the disaster as the decisions that led to it were made by those far below her in the Berlin government. He himself has had to make examples of underlings who made bad decisions that led to serious damage to his people & organisation.
“About that” Ben said, inserting himself into the conversation. “There seems to have been a mistake.”

“Yes” Kiki said, “Second Class would be improper.”

“Hardly” Albrecht replied, as he pulled an envelope out of his pocket and handed it to Kiki. “This ought to fix that.”

In the envelope were the red collar tabs and the shoulder straps of a Generalarzt. Kiki’s brother was going to be furious and the news of this would land in the Reichstag like an atomic bomb.
Albrecht of Bavaria for the win! He knows damned well what games the Reichstag has been playing. He also knows that, all things considered especially recent history, that the really threat of a coup is not the Imperial siblings, nor is it the progressive left. It is the conservative right, and they fear competent, trusted and beloved members of the Imperial Family calling upon the support of both the military and the people to prevent them seizing or retaining power via illegitimate ends. And, while Albrecht is technically a conservative, he has far more in common with the Hohenzollerns & von Richthofens than the political right-wing of the empire.

If word of this reaches Imperial prosecutors, some of them will start licking their lips like a wolf seeing a fresh, fat, carcass.

It removes any possible "Yeah but..." argument, and very soon, politicians will look towards the next election and wanting to have an achievement to point to.
The minister responsible for maintenence budgets might be considering a new role as (on site) director of maintenance for German Antarctic Survey Mission shortly...
I think that counts as a long-term prison. It has historically ITTL.

There is after all the investigations are completed, the conclusion that is going to be reached is that " Everyone and no one is to blame" as over the years many factors has contributed to this tragedy.
There has been deferred repairs and plans for complete refurbishment that haven't been carried out because funds have been diverted to other projects, that includes fare increases that were rescinded after public backlash forced the transit board to back down.

I wonder what Albrecht's beef with Kissinger is.
The only thing I can think of is that Kissinger wants to end the "Special Rights" that Bavaria has within the Empire, which includes greater autonomy for things like the armed forces.

I wonder what Albrecht's beef with Kissinger is.
The only thing I can think of is that Kissinger wants to end the "Special Rights" that Bavaria has within the Empire, which includes greater autonomy for things like the armed forces.
The most prominent member of an explicitly conservative Catholic political party having a problem with the Jewish head of a different center-right political party that belives in Laissez-faire economics? Can't imagine what the problem is. There is also the issue of the special place in the Empire that the Kingdom of Bavaria has carved out for itself and the massive egos involved.

So while Albrecht is socially and religiously conservative, he does believe in a strong social welfare safety net and massive public works programs?

So while Albrecht is socially and religiously conservative, he does believe in a strong social welfare safety net and massive public works programs?
As well as the belief that the Market needs to be regulated.

The National Liberals, led by Kissinger, are classic economic liberals, meaning minimal regulation.

Part 144, Chapter 2606
Chapter Two Thousand Six Hundred Six

28th January 1977

Mitte, Berlin

It was inevitable that when there was a national tragedy that it would be reflected in popular culture. Zella had seen the various attempts to depict the Reichstag Bombing in film and supposed that if television had been in widespread use as opposed to being almost entirely limited to the realm of experimentation at the time it would have been addressed in a similar fashion as what she was seeing now in sitcoms. Obviously Transit was set in the very system where the Alexanderplatz fire had occurred, so they depicted how the drivers and other transit workers had been left stranded and somewhat clueless by the chaos that had engulfed the system in the wake of the fire.

Probably the best response that Zella had seen was on show The Floor with an episode titled Fritz is late again. The show revolved around workers at a specialty manufacturing shop of the sort that made up the bulk of the light industry found in many parts of Berlin. The show was normally fairly light-hearted humor, with gags like one of the workers sneaking into the conference room of the company offices and stealing one pastry off the plate so that when the meeting started there were six people in the room but only five pastries with predictable results. The episode that Zella watched had revolved around how Fritz, the bumbling middle-aged everyman in the evening shift had not clocked in with everyone else. The rest of the crew poked fun at their absent co-worker for being late and what excuse he would make when he finally showed up. As the shift progressed and information started to filter in, the absence of Fritz grew more and more uncomfortable. It became a case where no one wanted to say what they were thinking and not knowing just made it worse. Zella had been surprised watching that episode how the phone ringing or staticky radio announcements that basically told you nothing served to ratchet up the tension. In the end the writers didn’t let the audience off the hook with an easy ending. Fritz wasn’t late, he was just gone, and the people who had been making fun of him at the beginning were left struggling with how to deal with the matter. Zella knew that there were a considerable number of people who were going through exactly those same feelings.

“That was extremely depressing” Yuri said, “Is there anything else on?”

“Probably” Zella replied. The sitcoms had ended for the night and the evening news was about to come on. Yuri thought that the sitcoms were depressing, those had nothing on what was happening in real life. “One way to find out.”

With that, Yuri got up and started flipping the dial on the front of the television. Zella thought about what would be perfect for the moment and realized that it really was too bad that Aunt Gerta was no longer making that variety show. That sort of mindless fun would be perfect.

Montreal, Canada

“My mother told me that men like you are out there” Marie Alexandra said to Jayden who had decided that now was a good time to complicate Henriette’s life.

“What else did she say?” Jayden asked with a phony smile.

“Nothing” Marie replied, “She told me that on my thirteenth birthday as she gave me a karambit as a gift.”

“Karambit?” Jayden asked, “What is that?”

Marie just smiled. “You should have stayed in Detroit” She said instead of answering the question.

To his credit, Jayden just gave her an uncomfortable look knowing at some level he had just been threatened. For the life of her, Marie could not figure out what Henriette had ever seen in him. Imagine an oily weasel in human form, that was what Marie would have said if asked to describe him and felt that it was a real mercy that Alice had clearly taken after her mother in that regard. Marie had also discovered the disadvantage of living in a city were most people spoke French as well as English. When dealing with a crumb like Jayden, she couldn’t pretend she didn’t speak either of those two languages. One might be believable. Both? No one was so thick as to believe that.

The saving grace of this was that Jayden had no clue that he was on a collision course with Bert Lane and eventually Bas Schultz. While Bas would be content with merely flattening him, Bert would be far worse. He would systematically destroy Jayden, if only because he had broken his word about staying away from Henriette and Alice. Marie had only found out about the details of that because Bert had finally told Henriette. She was not happy her father had basically paid Jayden to go away. She felt that he deserved nothing and that paying him off the first time had all too predictable results. Naturally, Jayden was back with his hand out and he was tried to work his charm on Marie by chatting her up as soon as Henriette was out of earshot.

“So, you are French?” Jayden asked.

“No” Marie replied in Berlinerisch, “I am your worst nightmare and if you had any sense you would run.”

“Pardon?” Jayden asked, “I didn’t understand that.”

“And you never will” Marie said as she saw Bert Lane, who Jayden had thought was not home this afternoon, step into the living room of the Lane’s house.

“My daughter told me you were back” Bert said coldly, and Marie realized that she was seeing him in his capacity as General Lane. Something else Marie’s mother had told her on her thirteenth birthday. That the results of stupidity needed to be painful, especially if the individual in question refused to learn.

Kiki and Louis Ferdinand Jr. are victims of the Laws of Unintended Consequences in regard to their military career.
ITTL after WW I, the German Military on their own stopped the practice of giving Imperial Princes commands of Field Armies, and after the Spring Revolution it became a part of the Reichstag policy never to let the Imperial Family to have any real power.
Unfortunately for Kiki and LF Jr. there was no thought of the possibility that a member of the Imperial Family may actuality be the best person for higher command.
The sons of Kaiser Wilhem III, Crown Prince Wilhem was in the Heer as a way to gain creditability for his future role as Commander in Chief when he became Kaiser, but that ended when he caught a bullet to his head in Spain, as for Louis Ferdinand, flying was his serious hobby and going in the Luftwaffe and becoming a flight instructor was for him the greatest extent of his military career until he was thrust in the role as the next Kaiser.
As for the next generation of Imperial offspring, a confluence of people and circumstances influenced and guided their choices.
Their mother Kira, scarred by her experiences of the Russian Revolution made sure that her children were raised to understand that they owe the people of Germany their best efforts to serve them, and of course Aunt Kat provided them with the best possible example to follow, this along with the ITTL WW II made them very dedicated to do their best in their military careers.
LF Jr. showed that he was head and shoulders above his peers first by his actions in Korea as the commander of a squad of landing craft, then by going to Antartica for two years, he showed that he was willing to do the hard unglamourous jobs out there, he showed time and time again that he had leadership ability and was cool in combat situations.
His reward for all of that was to be shunted off to small crafts commands where he watched those, he surpassed earlier are getting the command and staff slots that will advanced their careers while LF Jr. watches as he is sidelined.
As for Kiki, the latest emergency showed just how ruthless she is in taking charge of the situation, and it happened in front of the world as it played out in real time.

Will Burt ask Marie politely if she would like go first and he could "Bat clean up" so to speak", or would Marie let him go alone and make sure they were not interrupted by someone like Henni, her mother, the Police or some such? Bonus points if Malcolm shows up to help.

Last edited:
After Bert has his little conversation with Jayden, perhaps he could compare notes with Kat. She had a similar discussion with Sophie's sperm donor when he was foolish enough to return to Germany.

I nearly feel sorry for Jayden.

Nearly, but not quite.
I think we'll see Marie and Bert playing bad cop, worse cop without actually touching him.
He'll get the message.

I nearly feel sorry for Jayden.

Nearly, but not quite.
I think we'll see Marie and Bert playing bad cop, worse cop without actually touching him.
He'll get the message.
That was from the movie Tango & Cash if I remember correctly. And it involved using a hand grenade in an interrogation.