Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Gia is probably the best person to put the historical context of Russian concerns about the intentions of other countries.
She herself bares the scars of Stalin, the fact that during The Soviet War she helped the Russian women who became POWs and she never made any propaganda broadcasts against Russia, has made her a very respected person in Russia.
This could lead her to go more open in opposing the current government policies and maybe running for office herself.

I mean sure, I guess, but that would make it an even more blatant expy (is that the right word?) than it already is.
Not expy at all unfortunately. Paranoia and xenophobia have played a key role in Russian history. The other consideration is the relationship that the Russians have had with their neighbors and Slavic ethnic groups who don't identify as Russian. The Russian Army made a point of stomping on the Ruthenians hard on their way to Berlin in 1944-45 in OTL. The attempt to erase their cultural identity continued for decades. The attitude that Ukraine isn't real is also not unique to certain individuals, but that delves into chat subjects and contemporary events IOTL.

Last edited:
Certain people may decide that she would make a good martyr instead...
Not necessarily. I imagine she has enough inside knowledge still that if it got released - via a third party in the event of her untimely death - it could do a lot of damage to some of the people who might consider acting in such a manner.

Not necessarily. I imagine she has enough inside knowledge still that if it got released - via a third party in the event of her untimely death - it could do a lot of damage to some of the people who might consider acting in such a manner.
Only if they know she knows.
If not, well, the worst that could happen isn't that they succeed and Kat becomes personally involved, but they fail and that Kat AND Gia AND the Sisterhood get involved.

Russia after 33 years since the Fall of Moscow is full of contradictions and ironies.
The senior levels of governmental bureaucracies are filled with the remnants of those who started out in the Stalin era, and it still shows as they put their own interpterion on the dictates coming from the Czar and the Duma.
It is only in the last few years that the ones that are now filling up the junior positions of the bureaucracies are the ones who never lived under the Flag of the Soviet Union, but they stilled have been educated and trained by those who did, and it will take a couple of more generations until that will no longer be the case.
That means while the younger generations are no longer taught about the Glorious Soviet Union, it has been substituted with the Glorious Russian Empire with a heavy dose of Nationalism and Antisemitism that hasn't changed from the First Russian Empire through Stalin, and now the Second Russian Empire.
This is what Gia is up against, the cynical careerists and opportunists who have no real loyalty except to the exercise of power and those who have it.

Russia after 33 years since the Fall of Moscow is full of contradictions and ironies.
The senior levels of governmental bureaucracies are filled with the remnants of those who started out in the Stalin era, and it still shows as they put their own interpterion on the dictates coming from the Czar and the Duma.
It is only in the last few years that the ones that are now filling up the junior positions of the bureaucracies are the ones who never lived under the Flag of the Soviet Union, but they stilled have been educated and trained by those who did, and it will take a couple of more generations until that will no longer be the case.
That means while the younger generations are no longer taught about the Glorious Soviet Union, it has been substituted with the Glorious Russian Empire with a heavy dose of Nationalism and Antisemitism that hasn't changed from the First Russian Empire through Stalin, and now the Second Russian Empire.
This is what Gia is up against, the cynical careerists and opportunists who have no real loyalty except to the exercise of power and those who have it.
Would Vladimir Putin be getting his education about now?

Part 144, Chapter 2610
Chapter Two Thousand Six Hundred Ten

1st March 1977

Ulm, Württemberg

Something that Kiki had discovered was that it seemed like the instant she entered the room everyone got very quiet. Not wanting to be the first one to venture an opinion seemed to be the order of things. It was as if they expected her to play the role of a tyrant. The trouble with that was obvious. Kiki understood that she didn’t always make the right call and if she did it was her hope that someone would suggest something better under those circumstances. Today as she was doing her morning rounds, she was reminded that all too often there were patients whose problems had become questions of a Theological nature and were beyond any calls she may or may not make.

“He came in for treatment for cirrhosis of the liver” The Stabsarzt who was one of the Kiki’s Subordinates said looking through the folder of the patient who had died just minutes earlier. “He also had emphysema and showed signs of heart failure.”

“Has a cause of death been determined?” Kiki asked as the orderlies were wrapping the patient’s body in the sheets from his bed.

“It could be as a result of any one of those things Ma’am” The Stabsarzt replied as he handed Kiki the folder. A quick glance revealed a great deal, including that it had been recommended that the patient receive treatment for traumatic stress. Another one of these, Kiki thought to herself. Either too proud to admit there was a problem or fearful of the lingering stigma that came with the TBs diagnosis this man had turned to other means to deal with it and that had slowly killed him over the course of thirty years or so. All the above or cursed wars were not options in the paperwork. Kiki wrote To be determined pending post-mortem on that line in the paperwork and signed off on it. She figured that the morgue would put down something plausible before releasing the body to either the next of kin or else having it cremated if none were available.

“This is a terrible way to start the month” Kiki said, “Anything else?”

With that the Stabsarzt just shrugged and went on to the next patients.

“How can you be so nonchalant?” Feldwebel Haas said, drawing attention to himself. He had been shadowing Kiki for much of the last month, doing basically whatever needed to be done. She had arranged for him to take the training courses that would make him useful so long as he was assigned for her Staff, it was just he had been indifferent while taking them as Kiki had been informed.

“The living take priority over the dead” Kiki said, repeating the words that had been drilled into her when she had been in Basic Training as an aspiring Medic nearly a lifetime ago. “Those who can be helped take priority over those who cannot. Those who can, must help in the effort.”

“And I am here because I ran afoul of that last part” Haas said as they walked down the corridor. “That still doesn’t explain it. I’ve seen more death in the last month than I did in six years in the 1st Guards and what exactly am I doing here.”

Kiki knew that the 1st Guards Division were considered elite troops guarding critical installations and the Imperial family, but they, along with most of the 1st Army, had seldom gone into the field since the end of the Soviet War. And they had developed a reputation of being little more than toy soldiers. The Panzer Corps, which comprised much of the 2nd and 3rd Armies, had been the leading mechanized forces while the 4th and 5th Armies had a similar traditional structure to the 1st Army. They were tasked with guarding the Western Frontier just in case the French ever decided to invade Germany again. That was why 4th and 5th had been drawn down considerably over the last few years and were comprised largely of Landwehr and Reserve Divisions.

“For starters, your presence has just as much to do with my brother teaching me a lesson about causing him headaches as it does with anything else” Kiki replied, “After I tried to get you reduced in rank, he asked Generaloberst von Querfurt to veto that and then had you placed here.”

That answer surprised Haas. “It’s easy to forget that your brother is the Emperor himself Ma’am” He said, “And I had wondered what had happened with that other matter.”

It wasn’t just who Kiki’s brother was and how that affected her personally. There had been an unwritten, unstated belief by most of the Reichstag that the younger brothers and sisters of the Emperor should not be in positions of authority. That they were a dagger aimed at the heart of Democracy. What had happened with Haas had probably been an abuse of power on her part, but it had been largely seen in the context of her role as an Incident Commander as opposed to her as Princess Kristina.

“Next time, I need to find a better way” Kiki said, and Haas gave her a confused look. In his thinking, Generals came just after God and Emperor, not someone who would ever admit to having made a mistake. She had forgotten how to talk to people like him without being heavy handed and that was serious a problem.

“That’s why I am here?” Haas asked, clearly in disbelief.

“Yes, partially” Kiki replied, “Your insubordination during the Alexanderplatz fire was also a factor as well.”

“In fairness, I didn’t recognize who you were Ma’am” Haas said, this was the first chance that Kiki had to bring that topic up.

“Which is why you were sent here rather than wrecking a promising career” Kiki said, “And hopefully you can see this as an opportunity to…”

It was then that a Nurse, a pretty young woman, came walking the opposite way down the corridor. The Nurse smiled when she saw Haas and he tried to pretend that he didn’t notice. Somehow Kiki just knew that he would probably react the exact same way if he were with his mother. She knew that she was only about ten years older than Haas and it showed exactly how many among the staff thought about her.

“That is not what I mean when I mention opportunities” Kiki said flatly, and she watched Haas’s face turn a deep shade of crimson.

Last edited:
I think Haas is going to finish this deployment with a very bright future ahead of him.
Possibly better than if he hadn't been assigned to Kiki if he is a halfway decent soldier.

He could also spend some time in an exchange role with someone like Tilo, sent to Canada to spend some time at that little army camp on Lake Ontario, spend quality time with the Red Baron like Kiki did with V. Lettow-Vorbeck, go to someplace like Japan or Vietnam, or Even spend some time at one of the Military academies helping to teach with his experiences. Or when its over he could deliver a letter to Freddy from Kiki with just the simple line: "It didn't work".

For Kiki and Feldwebel Haas, they are each others punishment. Kiki's for overstepping and abusing her authority, and Feldwebel Haas, not taking initiative that a trained NCO should have done, and not being aware of his surroundings by not recognizing a superior officer like Kiki.

The fact that King Albrecht of Bavaria went around the Reichstag to promote Kiki to Major General in the JMS may make the National Liberals and the Social Democratic Party want to team up together and strip the special status the Bavaria has had since the formation of the German Empire in 1871.

The fact that King Albrecht of Bavaria went around the Reichstag to promote Kiki to Major General in the JMS may make the National Liberals and the Social Democratic Party want to team up together and strip the special status the Bavaria has had since the formation of the German Empire in 1871.
Not going to happen. The National Liberals are in a fragile coalition with fringe partners to their right who think Democracy is a passing fad and they are not inclined to limit the powers of the King of Bavaria. The other thing is that the Social Democrats are aware that Kissinger could easily get in over his head if he pursues this matter too far. Far from throwing him a line, they would be more inclined to throw an anvil.

Last edited:
Not going to happen. The National Liberals are in a fragile coalition with fringe partners to their right who think Democracy is a passing fad and they are not inclined to limit the powers of the King of Bavaria. The other thing is that the Social Democrats are aware that the Kissinger could easily get in over his head if he pursues this matter too far. Far from throwing him a line, they would be more inclined to throw an anvil.
Besides such attempts at centralization would not sit well with the expanded Empire ITTL, the non-German parts in particular.

Not going to happen. The National Liberals are in a fragile coalition with fringe partners to their right who think Democracy is a passing fad and they are not inclined to limit the powers of the King of Bavaria. The other thing is that the Social Democrats are aware that the Kissinger could easily get in over his head if he pursues this matter too far. Far from throwing him a line, they would be more inclined to throw an anvil.
If anyone deserves having an anvil thrown at them, Heinz Kissenger definitely qualifies.

While it is very presumptuous of me to disagree with the author of this timeline interpretations but…
I think that both the leadership of the National Liberals and the SDP have more in common on certain issues than commonly believed.
Both would have the autobahns go through city centers, turn narrow streets into wide avenues and boulevards, take farmlands and open spaces outside of cities and make them housing developments, industrial parks, shopping centers with no mass transit available only large parking lots instead.
Cities would have their older, historic buildings and neighborhoods razed and replaced with buildings made of glass, steel, and concrete that have no character of their own.
For Hienz Kissinger, his weekly meetings with the Kaiser is a chore as Friederich has come into his own and is using his legal education and training to question everything from all different aspects while not giving a direct opinion of his own on the issues.
With that in mind, all Kissinger has to do and wait until the SDP is back in power and let them take the lead in abolishing the monarchy and ending the “Special Privileges” that Bavaria has while not trying to stop it.

Part 144, Chapter 2611
Chapter Two Thousand Six Hundred Eleven

12th March 1977

Montreal, Canada

A quick trip on business to New York, followed by checking on how his youngest daughter was doing. That took the form of watching her drinking coffee while nibbling on the scone that Doug had bought for her. Looking at Marie it occurred to him that she was roughly the same age that Kat had been when they had first met.

“Aunt Asia says that silence is not actually a problem” Marie Alexandra said, “It is how most people need to constantly fill the air with noise that is the real problem.”

Doug knew that she was talking about Asia Lawniczak, the woman who was the current Mistress of the Keys in the German Imperial Court. These days Asia was better known by name Lady Frost and was the subject of no small amount of terror even as she was one of the confidantes of the Kaiserin. Doug understood that Asia had grown largely silent after her parents were killed by the Russians during the Soviet War and her siblings had been scattered by the State. Later, something terrible had happened to Asia as an adult. It was as if she had become a ghost of herself and going prematurely grey had not helped. Marie had never experienced anything like that, and Doug’s most sincere wish was that his daughter never would. But, as Kat had warned Doug months earlier, social anxiety had no rules and Marie had always been a sensitive girl. This was likely a means of protecting herself. A formidable intellect, the ability to speak a dozen languages, and to radically change her appearance at will, yet simple human interactions were the thing that she found most difficult.

“Asia is probably not the best role model” Doug replied, “Your grandfather told me that you hardly speak to anyone these days.”

Marie gave him a dismissive wave of her hand, much to his disappointment. She had made it clear that she didn’t see the problem. She had already told Doug that she had her friend Henriette and Henriette’s daughter Alice to speak with if she felt like being social. She kept Doug’s father informed about what she was up to. Wasn’t that enough? The truth was that it wasn’t, just Marie didn’t seem to see it that way.

“What exactly am I supposed to tell your mother?” Doug asked, “She understands what you are going through and wants to see that you doing well.”

“Why doesn’t she tell me that herself?” Marie asked in reply, Doug help but notice the bitter tone. One of the things that Kat feared was her relationship with Marie would become like the one with their older daughter Tatiana. It seemed like every time Kat and Tatiana were in the room for more than a few minutes, they would start arguing.

“Your mother would love nothing better than to be here” Doug said, “Your twenty-first birthday is in a few days, remember? If she could, she would be going all out to make it special. For no other reason than because it’s your birthday.”

Marie blushed, as if that were something she had forgotten and only just now remembered. That and she had to know that she was selling her mother short. Kat couldn’t just drop everything and travel across the Atlantic to Canada. There were protocols to be observed and it would swiftly become such a circus that Marie would get lost in the shuffle. No one wanted that.

“You are very lucky that she remembered” Doug said, “There is a package for you from her that is locked in your grandfather’s desk. As for me, I will be in Montreal for the next few days so think about what you want to do. Something fun.”

“I didn’t know” Marie replied. The expression on her face was exactly the same as the one that she’d had in a photograph that Doug had taken when Marie was around three years old. She had been caught by him getting into the bin of potatoes that was kept in the kitchen. There was a part of Marie that was still that wide-eyed innocent and it was an aspect of her that he hoped would never change.

“I understand that you have been very busy with school and have already gotten offers to continue your education past a Bachelor’s in Arts” Doug said, “Have you put any thought about what you will want to do next.”

“Jack Kennedy has offered to help me attend Trinity College in Dublin” Marie said, “That is if I want to study International Law, though that is rather self-serving on his part. He thinks that I will open a lot of doors for his firm in Berlin.”

“That doesn’t surprise me in the least” Doug replied, knowing that she wouldn’t be telling him about this unless she was seriously considering it. “That might be a good offer for a lot of different reasons. A pretty redhead would probably do quite well in Ireland, your mother enjoyed that when she was younger.”

“I guess” Marie said before going back to nibling on her scone.

“Your grandfather also told me about Porthos” Doug said with a smile.

“He’s an old tomcat who I have been taking care of” Marie replied, “Not that he needs much care. It being the winter he has been earning his keep clearing out the mice from the basement of Opa and Oma’s house.”

Doug knew that Marie was understating it by a bit. Marie had spent months winning over the trust of the black & white tuxedo cat and for the last couple years he had become a fixture about the Blackwood house. Normally living in the back garden or the basement during the coldest months of the year. Marie was the only one who could get anywhere near Porthos without him disappearing.

I posted how Kiki reminded me of my nieces when they were teenagers, well Marie reminds me very much of my niece who just graduated from an UC last May with honors and she doesn't know what she wants to do, for some unexplained reason she asked me for advice.
I told her that a law degree would give her the most flexibility in deciding what she wants to do, she did an internship at a prestigious public advocacy group, which is one way to go along with working for a non-profit, going in to government work either in investigations or legislative work.
I told her even through she has excellent grades and I have no doubts that she would ace the LSAT, top law schools are looking for something extra, and I told her that joining the Peace Corps would be the best way of doing that hat, much to her parents chagrin she is now in Central America for the next two years.
For Marie, getting a law degree would give her more options to do and explore what she wants in life.
Marie can continue to be an aide to Suga and with a legal education she can tell Suga when someone is trying to blow smoke up her ass.
The family attorney, Jack Kennedy is turning 60 years old this year, and while he doesn't have the same health problems that he did IOTL (yes I know that something happened to him in 1963...) and he is turning over more and more of his clients to other attorneys at his firm, but he still is keeping Kat as his personal client.
Jack and Kat still have to find other lawyers to handle her legal business, but the main problem is Kat won't have the same level of trust and more importantly leverage that she over Jack and having Marie with a law degree would make Kat feel more secure in the future of her family and fortune.