Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

ferdi254

Banned
Does this accident version make it any better? She stumbled (incompetence or missing basic safety rules), hit him badly and instead of apologizing (profusely) as basic courtesy rules would demand she is shaming him for her mistake and seems to think she has done nothing wrong at all. Selfish and hurting in either case.

To be fair, from a storytelling point of view, it's a good thing to occasionally have a character in a protagonist role or strong supporting role to a protagonist who is not exactly a likeable person.

Does this accident version make it any better? She stumbled (incompetence or missing basic safety rules), hit him badly and instead of apologizing (profusely) as basic courtesy rules would demand she is shaming him for her mistake and seems to think she has done nothing wrong at all. Selfish and hurting in either case.
Jeah, thats Zella for you.

What kind of ship is the sms epione? I know its a barge of somekind but is there something its based upon?
The SMS Epione is a Péniche (Euro Class I) that has been built for use as a Passenger/Hospital Barge.
Length: 38.5 meters (126 feet) Width: 5.05 meters (16.6 feet) Draft: Between 1.8 meters (5.9 feet) and 2.2 meters (7.2 feet)
Air Draft: 3.7 meters (12.14 feet)

The SMS Epione is a Péniche (Euro Class I) that has been built for use as a Passenger/Hospital Barge.
Length: 38.5 meters (126 feet) Width: 5.05 meters (16.6 feet) Draft: Between 1.8 meters (5.9 feet) and 2.2 meters (7.2 feet)
Air Draft: 3.7 meters (12.14 feet)
Thanks

Part 131, Chapter 2234
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Thirty-Four

6th August 1973

Belozersky Bypass Canal, Near Lake Beloye, Vologda Oblast, Russia

It was not the fastest way to travel and most of the time that was a positive thing because it was a means to slow things down so that events could be digested. This time was different though. Kiki had grown restless watching the countryside roll past and wished that they were at their destination after they had been notified by radio that Gia was already back in her apartment in Moscow having flown back a full day after the Epione had departed from the city on the Gulf of Finland.

It was nearly six days from Saint Petersburg to Moscow and she was almost hoping that some medical emergency would present itself in the region. And if she were being truly honest, it would be a chance to showcase the Epione, her own skills and generate some good will among the Russian people. It was also a terrible thought because someone would have to have been injured or suffering some sort of health crisis for that to happen.

As it was, there were a few people on the banks of the canal every time they passed a village to watch the barge flying the Red, White, and Black of German Imperial Flag and the Blue and White Flag of the Medical Service pass as well as a glimpse of Kiki herself. It was mostly out of curiosity. However, there were a pair of Riverine Gunboats from the Russian Navy that were a few hundred meters ahead and trailing the Epione and that cast a bit of a pall on things. Kiki had discovered that distrust of the Military and the State remained strong in the Russian countryside. She understood the need for security but had not anticipated the reaction of these people towards it.

Mostly from a need for something to do and to practice using the equipment aboard the Epione, Kiki was using Markus as a guinea pig of sorts. She felt that she had gotten off on the wrong foot with the boy and was hoping that some time spent explaining the mission they were on with some practical demonstrations. Kiki had been showing him the process of performing a blood count, how the process was automated, reading the results, and what she would be looking for. That led to them looking through a microscope at small smear from the blood sample that she had taken from him while they waited for the machine to spit out the results.

“All of this had to be counted manually?” Markus asked.

“Yes” Kiki replied, “And they had me do it in Medical School so that I would understand the basics, or in the event that I didn’t have a machine available to do it for me.”

“But would you still have a microscope?”

“You would be amazed what I could do with a cheap microscope that you would give a child to encourage them to get into the sciences” Kiki said, “Give me a few other things from around the department store and I can work miracles.”

That was when the printer started running, Kiki tore off the page when it finished and started reading it. Markus looked at the sheet of paper, but the abbreviated words and numbers meant little to him.

“This is showing all your levels within normal parameters” Kiki said, “You don’t seem to have any infections or abnormalities. Typical of a healthy young Homosapien male.”

“That’s all?” Markus asked.

“More or less” Kiki replied, “When I was your age, I would occasionally get anemic, but that had to do with being a young woman, menstrual bleeding. This is the test that detected it and my mentor, Doctor Berg insisted that I increase my intake of certain vegetables as a result.”

“That’s all” Markus said.

“Hardly” Kiki said, “If we detected elevated white blood cells, we would then need to find the source of the infection which would mean running more tests. Considering your age and professional aspirations, we would probably need to start with a test for Venereal diseases. Of course, you came from the Luftwaffe Academy, close quarters, and poor ventilation in the dormitories is expected, particularly in the wintertime. So respiratory infections would likely be near the top of the list…”

Kiki noticed that Markus had looked away and he was a bit embarrassed. This tended to happen when she broached certain topics.

“You would really run a test for Venereal diseases?” Markus asked.

“That is routine Markus” Kiki said, “And in this context as your Doctor it would remain between us.”

That was mostly true. Kiki would be required to report the diagnosis as she would with any other infectious disease as per protocol. However, there were safeguards to keep names from getting spread around.

“No” Markus said, “You would do that even after what your friend said about me?”

“What exactly are you referring to?” Kiki asked and Markus looked embarrassed again. “This is in strictest confidence, no secrets.”

“No secrets?” Markus repeated, “I have sort of seen nearly every bit of you.”

“That was inadvertent” Kiki said with a shrug, “And I know that Zella can be a bit much at times. We had been talking about how obvious it is that you haven’t been around women very much.”

“I thought that she was talking about how I have never… Er, well… uhm, you know” Markus said, his face turning beet red.

“I see” Kiki said. Suddenly aware of just how much Zella’s careless words had been hurtful to him with how he had interpreted them. “That is not something you need to be ashamed or embarrassed about.”

Markus looked at Kiki in surprise. That was clearly not what he had expected to hear.

It is odd. Even if you exist in TTL, would you? I included my maternal grandfather as an unnamed walk on role in a recent post and realized that he would have been a very different person.
I know I wouldn't, my parents met because they were both Cold War USAF SAC IOTL.

Flipside, most Doomsday 1983 nuclear exchange scenarios have me getting glassed as an infant.

It is odd. Even if you exist in TTL, would you? I included my maternal grandfather as an unnamed walk on role in a recent post and realized that he would have been a very different person.
Well exactly.
I started writing a post going through the various butterflies. With this timeline's POD, my Dad would still have been born, I may not have. Mostly down to the butterflies in Ireland.

“I thought that she was talking about how I have never… Er, well… uhm, you know” Markus said, his face turning beet red.

“I see” Kiki said. Suddenly aware of just how much Zella’s careless words had been hurtful to him with how he had interpreted them. “That is not something you need to be ashamed or embarrassed about.”

Markus looked at Kiki in surprise. That was clearly not what he had expected to hear.
Zella uses physical violence to mask her clumsiness but has an unquestionably and intentionally cruel tongue.

Kiki handled this well.

Flipside, most Doomsday 1983 nuclear exchange scenarios have me getting glassed as an infant.
Back then, I lived a stone's throw away from a major highway interchange, an international airport, and several key military installations. Everyone knew that if there ever was a war, we would be incinerated in the first minutes.

Part 131, Chapter 2235
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Thirty-Five

10th August 1973

Schwielochsee, Spreewald National Park

“Momma will have a thing or three to say about this” Marie said as Sophie brought up her latest difficulty.

A minor detail that had skipped Sophie mind until she realized that it was going to be a major factor at some point after she had ridden from Berlin. The inner tubes were slowly losing air and were going to be totally flat long before she would be going home. Somehow, having to walk her bicycle onto the train home felt like defeat, though she was planning on taking the train anyway. Sophie wanted that to be her choice though and already knew what Kat was going to say. It was one of Kat’s favorite expressions; Failure to plan on your part does not constitute a crisis on mine.

“We both know what Kat is going to say” Sophie replied, “How will that help me find a bicycle pump?”

“Or perhaps it is her hope that you will swallow your pride and ask for help” Marie said, she didn’t like it when Sophie called Kat by her name and wasn’t afraid of letting Sophie see her disapproval. “Ever thought of that?”

Sophie frowned.

That would be just like Kat, Sophie thought to herself. Wheels within wheels, no one aside from Kat being able to see the big picture and that was why she almost always won in the end. Sophie had learned over the last few years that her foster mother was always several moves ahead, having had a lifetime of practice as the Tigress of Pankow, the reigning Prefect of Berlin. At the same time, Sophie was supposed to be learning to be independent and resourceful. It was all so maddening.

“You could just ask one of the staff. There are all sorts of things that are inflated around, including the regular inner-tubes that might have been used in the tires of a lorry, so there must be a pump somewhere” Marie said, “But that wouldn’t be nearly as dramatic, would it?”

The fact that something so plainly obvious had needed to be pointed out was embarrassing. Anything that floated on the lake and wasn’t a boat of some kind was probably inflated.

“Well, thank you for the help” Sophie said as she felt like her cheeks were burning up. “And please don’t tell Kat about this.”

Marie just smirked at that. It seemed like Sophie had always had an impossible time reading Marie, who seemed to delight in being unorthodox. At the same time, it seemed like Sophie had an impossible time seeing what was right in front of her face. She had a feeling that Ziska was probably going to laugh her head off when she inevitably heard about this.

Moscow, Russia

Kiki had finally made it to the Capital City of Russia the day before and there were some things that could not be avoided. It had been dubbed the Monument to the Lost and it had been located in a park that had been built specially for it off Red Square. There were rumors that process of constructing the park had also played a role in sealing off the tunnels that the Hellcats had used to gain access to the Kremlin at the end of the Soviet War, but that had never been confirmed.

The monument was a statue whose features were indistinct, but the figure radiated a painfully contorted pose, the face seemed to be forever howling in anguish to an uncaring universe. Just looking at it gave Kiki the creeps.

It had been dedicated in 1960 to the millions of Russians who had died in the bloody Stalinist purges, in the Soviet War on the battlefield, in the famines and lawless chaotic years that had followed. The Russians were not exaggerating when they said that an entire generation had been lost. Kiki had seen the demographic reports and they were harrowing. There was a profound gender imbalance and not to put too fine a point on it, children born just before or during the war had faced long odds. Gia had known that when she had adopted Anya Maksimova from a Convent orphanage outside of Pskov. The girl had been aging out of the care of the Orthodox Church and Gia had realized that postwar Russia would eat her alive.

Kiki only needed to look at Gia and Anya today to see that had worked out well for both of them. They had accompanied Kiki today, with Gia’s son Alexei, who they were keeping between them. No one wanted the rambunctious nine-year-old to run off and cause trouble. Gia usually was at her home near Lake Baikal during the Summertime. She had decided to return to Moscow early this year when she learned that Kiki was coming. Gia’s husband Fyodor was nowhere to be found. Kiki understood the role he played for the Russian Czar and would have preferred that he remain where she could see him.

Nina was staring at the statue agape. She hated it when they put her in a pram but wasn’t up for walking too great a distance. That was why Ben was carrying her. It was clear that Nina got the exact message that it was meant to convey.

The other two people present were Czar Mikhail II of Russia and his betrothed, Princess Eva of Greece and Denmark, the youngest sister of Emperor Constantine II of the Hellenic Empire. Though she knew that Eva was twenty-three years old, she looked to Kiki like she was much younger and was somewhat fragile. For the Russians Eva checked a lot of boxes in having the right religion and with the Greeks being considered among the most important allies. While dynastic marriages were largely considered a relic of the past, this was clearly an exception to that. The marriage would cement the alliance between the Russians and the Greeks like few other things.

At the base of the statue there were dozens of candles along with hundreds of photographs and other mementos. All of this so that a people could mourn the decades that should have been prosperous but had nearly undone them as a nation. As per prior agreement, Kiki laid a bouquet of flowers at the foot of the monument as a gesture of respect. It had been said in the past that Kiki was Germany’s Russian Princess. She had her doubts about that, but it was figured that it would be better received coming from her as opposed to her brother. While Freddy frequently tried to ham things up, he knew that there were times he needed to be somber. This was clearly such an occasion.

Last edited:

ferdi254

Banned
Not to be said that the difference between the greek religion and the russian religion is just as easily to reconcile than that between that Danish and Swedes.

Only is the first is 500 years older.

Or just look up the difference between the RCC and the protestant churches.