Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 70, Chapter 1044
Chapter One Thousand Forty-Four

25th January 1954

Jena

“You’ll be pleased to know that you perfectly healthy” Peter said reading the latest updates to Kat’s file, “No irregularities or anything you should be too worried about.”

“But what about my back” Kat replied, it had been a nagging backache that had caused her to go into the clinic.

“Age, Katherine” Peter replied, “You aren’t a teenager anymore and you push yourself to keep up with people half your age. The odds are high that you are going to eventually do serious injury to yourself if you continue.”

Kat’s reaction was one of anger that she did nothing to hide. It wasn’t Peter’s fault that this was happening, and it wasn’t something that anyone could do anything about. He could see that despite her generally youthful appearance there were signs of Kat’s age, she had to be aware of it too even if she was unwilling to admit it.

The week before she had been complaining about how she had basically been forced by competing circumstances to make choices she didn’t want to make. If it hadn’t left her so stressed Peter might have found it amusing, the indomitable Gräfin von Mischner delegating responsibility. Something that didn’t come naturally to her. She had received a sideways promotion within the 1st Foot to be the new Executive Officer and had to hire several people to oversee the Tempelhof Project for her. All of them were former members of the Pioneer Corps who she grudgingly felt she could trust with the task. She had also said that she was forced to deal with a Henning Kraus, one of her father’s former henchmen. He had shown up on Kat’s doorstep and demanded a slice of the pie. Kat hadn’t said how she had handled the situation, but Peter had a bad feeling that this Henning had probably not gotten what he expected. Attempting to extort Kat when she was in a mood was a good way to end up in traction.

“The General Practitioner didn’t know you personally” Peter said, “He included in his notes that he felt that you would do well to take a vacation.”

“You can’t be serious” Kat said, “There is no way that…”

“I know you have responsibilities” Peter said, “But workdays that are sixteen hours or more, seven days a week is something that you can’t keep doing because you are going to collapse.”

“What are you saying?” Kat asked.

“That the problems with your back should be a wake up call for you” Peter said, “Next time it might come in the form of a mental breakdown, heart arrhythmia or any number of other scary things.”

Peter realized partway through that he had raised his voice and that she was looking at him in surprise. In all the years that she had been seeing Peter, he had never done that.

“Start taking care of yourself or be ordered to” Peter said, “You aren’t being given a choice.”

Berlin

Anya was looking in awe up at the dinosaur skeleton in the Natural History Museum. Gia had promised her that this was real. It had been an enjoyable week with Gia living vicariously through Anya as she looked in wonder at everything around the city. A couple hours before Gia had introduced her to Vietnamese Pho soup and chopsticks. They had sat in the window of the restaurant watching people go by and Anya had talked excitedly about everything she was seeing. There had been people from all over the world walking past and Gia had almost burst out laughing when Anya saw a very dignified looking man of African extraction with skin so dark it was almost blue walk past. That was totally outside Anya’s experience. Gia figured that she must have had a similar reaction when she had first come from Tumbler Ridge.

So far, the fun had outweighed the difficulties. Both Gia and Anya were having to adjust. Having a room entirely to herself was a novel experience for Anya. Learning that she was responsible for keeping it clean was all too familiar for her though and she had resisted that a bit. On some level Anya had thought that she was escaping responsibilities. Gia had been the one to tell Anya that it wasn’t always going to be fun all the time and realized that she sounded exactly the same as Aunt Marcella from years earlier. Gia wasn’t looking forward to the coming battle over preparing Anya for starting school. The other difficulty was Saint Alexandra was back, news had leaked out that Gia had taken on an orphan from Saint Petersburg as her ward and she had an especially warm welcome when she had gone to church with Kira the prior Sunday.

Anya had no idea why they were the center of attention in Berlin’s small Orthodox community and hadn’t liked it much. Gia had told her they would get over it soon enough.

“What is this?” Anya asked. That was an interesting question, the stone slab contained the fossilized Archaeopteryx, the strange creature that had features of both a bird and a dinosaur, teeth and feathers. Anya couldn’t read the placards in German yet, so she had no idea what she was looking at. She also still had a child’s religiosity. Which meant that trying to explain Charles Darwin and evolution would probably be too much for one day.

“The world was once a very different place” Gia said.

“How long ago?” Anya asked.

Gia looked at the placard, “One hundred fifty million years according to this” She replied.

Anya just stared at Gia wide-eyed when she heard that. That was beyond comprehension to a nine-year-old.

Last edited:
On a more general note I just want to say that this is the best timeline I have ever had the pleasure to read and I am looking forward to reading more.

Having seen the dinosaur collections in Berlin with so many being lost in WW2 bombings, what they have ITTL would likely be one of the worlds most impressive collections.

Last edited:
Cute indeed :)

I suspect that Germany will handle the religious dislike of certain sciences much better than the USA did in OTL or than it will in this timeline.

This is the Archaeopteryx Berlin specimen that Gia and Anya were looking at, one of the most famous fossils ever found.

Berlin_Archaeopteryx.jpg

I think I am seeing "Passive -Aggressive" Kat, she did not want to do this big project that others wanted her to do, but by God she will show them even if it kills her.

Part 71, Chapter 1045
Chapter One Thousand Forty-Five

31st January 1954

Berlin

Emil was still trying to wrap his head around the nature of the relationship between his wife’s protégée and her ward. Mother and daughter or sisters? Maria had said it didn’t matter because between being one of the Romanovs and the lingering specter of hemophilia Gia was unlikely to ever have a family of her own. She had seen that Anya was in desperate need for a stable, protective home and Gia was able to have a bit of normalcy in a life that had been turned completely upside down. Emil found that sort of harsh, always having to suspect other people’s motives, never sure if feelings were genuine or they just wanted something. It was Gia’s reality though.

“Five-Eighths inch wrench” Emil said to Anya who looked at him with a bewildered look on her face. He assumed that she had been bewildered a lot since she had come to Berlin.

Emil understood why Gia had brought the girl when she had come to have dinner that night with them. They had learned in the last couple weeks that Anya was terrified of soldiers. It was hardly a surprise with where she had come from, but it presented a profound difficulty with Gia’s protection detail. When Anya had had discovered that they were from the 1st Imperial Foot Guard Regiment it had triggered an extremely bad reaction. Maria and Gia had asked Emil if he could help, he was Field Marshal, and no one thought that Emil looked particularly threatening.

A dark thought had run through Emil’s head when they said that, if they knew the full truth they wouldn’t think about him that way. In recent days Emil had been involved with war gaming the event of a nuclear war between two powers. The Chancellor had not liked the preliminary result, Franz Halder had concluded that the German Empire was particularly vulnerable to such an attack that and that diplomacy and arms limitation treaties were the best course of action. Halder wasn’t afraid to say that to the Chancellor, but then he was on his way out anyway. Halder had already received one waver to delay his retirement but at age sixty-eight he wasn’t going to get another. Emil increasingly had doubts about his ability to do the job at top spot the closer he got to it. He knew that it was politics that was driving his appointment. The Reichstag wanted someone other than a Heer General this time and Emil was seen as a genuine hero, was generally respected and was a Luftwaffe General. The problem was that whatever messes Halder created on the way out it would fall on Emil to clean up. It was especially thorny because Emil agreed with Halder’s assessment, he just wouldn’t have been as blunt about it.

It wasn’t until today that Emil could get back to working on reassembling the motorcycle engine that had been languishing for weeks.

“This one” Emil said as he took a wrench with a 5/8 stamped on it. Anya was starting to figure it out, she had no problem with the metric wrenches, but Imperial gave her trouble because it was totally unfamiliar.

Zella was sitting on her chair in the corner, radiating annoyance with the world in general. Maria had said that one day she might start acting halfway human again, about the time she started University.

“She really is good” Anya said cheerfully in French, which the Nuns at the orphanage had taught her for some reason. “Her drawings.”

“I know” Emil replied, “But Zella doesn’t realize how talented she is yet.”

Zella just ignored them as she kept working on her sketch pad.

“Did Gia tell you who I am?” Emil asked. He figured that Anya had a couple hours to get used to him, it was something that she would probably have to do again. He had given his aides the night off so that it would be easier but there was still a bit of a risk.

“You are her friend Maria’s husband” Anya said.

“Yes” Emil said, “I’m also the Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the High Command.”

“The what?” Anya asked.

“He’s a paratrooper” Zella said, “Every solder, sailor and airman in the military has to obey him or else.”

“I’ve seldom needed the or else part” Emil said, wishing that Zella would learn some discretion. She was going to turn thirteen in a couple months, so Emil wasn’t optimistic about her getting there anytime soon. “The truth is that I’m a man who likes to listen to music and tinker with motorcycle engines.”

“Paratrooper?” Anya asked. She had no idea what was, which was a saving grace here if Zella kept her mouth shut for a few minutes.

“When I younger I jumped out of airplanes with a parachute” Emil said. The last combat jump he had done was less than a decade earlier, but who was counting. “As for the rest. If you have anyone in a uniform scare you, tell Gia to tell me and I can straighten the matter out.”

“Thank you” Anya said, it was clear to Emil that she didn’t really understand what any of that meant.

“It is the least I can do” Emil said, “Gia has always been a friend of this family and I guess you are too.”

Anya smiled when Emil told her that.

Last edited:
Being German, would Emil ask for a metric size rather than Imperial? e.g. 14mm rather than 5/8?
I have the fun of being the right/wrong age where both are a regular part and switching between the two, especially when working on my Land Rover where not only do I have Metric and Imperial, I have Whitworth and AF to deal with too. And apparently this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby... x'D:'(x'Dx'D

Emil has my sympathy.

Being German, would Emil ask for a metric size rather than Imperial? e.g. 14mm rather than 5/8?
I have the fun of being the right/wrong age where both are a regular part and switching between the two, especially when working on my Land Rover where not only do I have Metric and Imperial, I have Whitworth and AF to deal with too. And apparently this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby... x'D:'(x'Dx'D

Emil has my sympathy.

He is working on an H-D Knucklehead engine, all the nuts and bolts are Imperial.

Don't know if it was mentioned eralier, but how big is the non-european population in the empire? Are people from the mideast and africa a common sight in the big cities?
It would be bad if the Döner sandwich is not invented in this TL...

Don't know if it was mentioned eralier, but how big is the non-european population in the empire? Are people from the mideast and africa a common sight in the big cities?
It would be bad if the Döner sandwich is not invented in this TL...
Or Currywurst

He definitely has my sympathy then. Wait until he tries to put whitworth nut onto an AF thread bolt - you'll see some cursing then.

It's the only engine of such origin in his garage, so he is (or SHOULD) be keeping all of the parts very separate. The only other country making imperial engines at this time should be the UK. Emil, being something of a connoisseur of fine bikes is not going to buy a British one.

It's the only engine of such origin in his garage, so he is (or SHOULD) be keeping all of the parts very separate. The only other country making imperial engines at this time should be the UK. Emil, being something of a connoisseur of fine bikes is not going to buy a British one.

Which is a shame as Triumph and BSA have some gorgeous bikes.

Finnicky as hell and high maintenance, but gorgeous.

And Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand... probably UK designs, but still...