Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

ferdi254

Banned
Oh and btw: There have been some people complaining about the USA being treated too badly ITTL.

Now Germany has to deal with a fully unexpected terrorist group which has no popular movement behind it killing hundreds of people

while the racial tensions in the USA have suddenly all gone quiet.

What is happening in Germany at this point in the timeline is a convergence of different things, for the right the fact that the Crown Prince is marrying a non white person is the final insult to their traditions as women are increasingly in important positions of power, there are more and more people who are from other countries who do not look like them, the power and status of the Old Junker Class has been diminished as ability and not birth has become more important.
For the left especially young people there is a sense of disconnect from the rest of the society as the previous generation that was shaped by war has as it seems to them become focused on a materialistic and consumer orientated life that is more about acquiring things over anything else and to them society needs to be shaken up.
For both the left and the right the symbol of the for the rot of German society is Kaiser Louis Ferdinand and the Imperial Family.
As a sidenote, it has been just over 20 years since the start of the war against the Soviet Union and the KPD was badly decimated by round ups of members and sympathizers, those who were able to escape out of Germany are now wanting to comeback in, those who were imprisoned want to be set free, those who were forced to leave their careers and were only able to get the lowest menial jobs want to be able to get back to what they want to do and there may be a big debate about it in German society between those who remember how close the Soviet Union was to winning the war and those who were either not alive at the time of feels that the threat was greatly exaggerated.
Another thing the conspiracy theories from the left and the right about how Empress Kira and Chancellor Lang started the war with false flag attacks has most likely grown over the years and that their untimely death were to cover those facts up.

They wouldn't get much out of some amateur student revolutionaries? Please. They'll get his ID and proceed to shake down his entire social circle.

Please, they'll go deeper then that. Hell, they'd tear apart his goddamn genome if they thought it'd provide ansqwers.

Ehm, not to put too fine a point on it, but that's probably because the opinion at the time, as now, was that Northern Ireland wasn't really part of the UK.

Also by the seventies, said paramilitary groups had been active, on and off, for sixty years. So kind of absorbed as a "these things happen" thing.
As I recall it did make the UK news but usually page 3-5 of a national newspaper. It took a real atrocity like LaMon, Droppin Well, Enniskillen or Darkley to make the front page

For the left especially young people there is a sense of disconnect from the rest of the society as the previous generation that was shaped by war has as it seems to them become focused on a materialistic and consumer orientated life that is more about acquiring things over anything else and to them society needs to be shaken up.

As a sidenote, it has been just over 20 years since the start of the war against the Soviet Union and the KPD was badly decimated by round ups of members and sympathizers, those who were able to escape out of Germany are now wanting to comeback in, those who were imprisoned want to be set free, those who were forced to leave their careers and were only able to get the lowest menial jobs want to be able to get back to what they want to do and there may be a big debate about it in German society between those who remember how close the Soviet Union was to winning the war and those who were either not alive at the time of feels that the threat was greatly exaggerated.

I have said before that communism can't die, it just goes underground until it's flaws and sins have been forgotten. There will always be a disgruntled underclass looking for someone to blame for their circumstances, and looking for an ideology that justifies them taking what's been "stolen" from them by force.

This generation of 20somethings born after the Soviet war has never known hardship. They see the previous generation being materialistic and assume their inheritance is being squandered. That's THEIR money, goshdarnit, and the oldsters are hoarding it and keeping prosperity from them. THEY should have a house as nice as the one they grew up in by the time they are 24 or it's time to riot in the streets.

FBKampfer

Banned
I have said before that communism can't die, it just goes underground until it's flaws and sins have been forgotten. There will always be a disgruntled underclass looking for someone to blame for their circumstances, and looking for an ideology that justifies them taking what's been "stolen" from them by force.

This generation of 20somethings born after the Soviet war has never known hardship. They see the previous generation being materialistic and assume their inheritance is being squandered. That's THEIR money, goshdarnit, and the oldsters are hoarding it and keeping prosperity from them. THEY should have a house as nice as the one they grew up in by the time they are 24 or it's time to riot in the streets.

I take it you're not a US citizen.....

the power and status of the Old Junker Class has been diminished as ability and not birth has become more important.
While there probably was some kind of "Old boys club", and if everything else being equal a Junker was preferred, standards for officers in the German military was very high and as it was the career path expected for Junkers, most of them did make very good and dedicated officers.
Ability was very important for them and they took pride in service.

Last edited:
Part 97, Chapter 1546
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Forty-Six

3rd March 1963

Mitte, Berlin

There were times when Louis Ferdinand was reminded that his children were perfectly human, they could be happy, sad or in some cases, simply jealous. It had grown apparent that Friedrich was finding his situation chafing as his younger siblings seemed to have become more accomplished than him. A challenge for Louis was that he had grown up as the younger son, unexpectedly finding himself the heir to the throne when he was already an adult when his older brother had been killed in action in the Spanish War. Freddy had a different, he had been the Crown Prince since he had been a toddler and as he had grown older the sharp limitations that put on his life had become extremely clear. At Louis’ invitation, Freddy was talking with him in the billiards room that Wilhelm the 2nd and General von Wolvogle had their benders in back in the heady days after the end of the First World War.

As it turned out, both Louis and Freddy were terrible at shooting pool. So, they eventually just sat at one of the tables in the corner. Eventually, the subject of the mess that Kiki had gotten herself into had come up. It was hardly a surprise really, even though there was considerable danger involved Freddy wished that he could be out in the world doing things as opposed to studying Law at University.

“I would say that the biggest problem is that you simply do not understand your sister” Louis said to Freddy, “Right now she is in the limelight because of recent events, but you will still be in the public eye long after Kristina has found the obscurity that she is really after.”

That seemed to come as a complete surprise to Freddy, he had commented about how Kiki seemed to be everywhere these days. The investigation into the ambush of the FSR team that she had been leading was ongoing, but already word was that her quick thinking and bravery were to be lauded. Some of the investigators did quibble over her having split her forces. Others pointed out that she had taken the two trained infantrymen with her when she had begun the counterattack, leaving the two medics to guard the radio operator. That was using the abilities of the people she had to best extent possible. There was also the matter of Kiki having captured three of her attackers alive, after she and her team killed five and sent the remainder running for their lives. They had concluded that while she should be commended for the reasons stated and factoring in what Kiki herself had said were her preferences about the incident, there would be no recognition of her personally by the Military. Instead, they were throwing a group recognition to the entire team. Much to Kiki’s annoyance, and because the incident had happened in Saxony, the House of Wettin had other ideas. Her presence had been requested in Dresden by Friedrich Christian. Oddly, Kiki’s biggest complaint was about how it seemed like everything that had happened only served to push her further from what she really wanted.

“I’m starting to think that I’ve never known her” Freddy replied, “No one seems to.”

Louis did find that newfound introspective a bit amusing. That was probably having Suga rip him apart over his choice of Christmas gifts for his sister speaking. What Freddy didn’t know yet was how valuable to him having a consort who wasn’t afraid to tell him he was being an ass would become in the future.

“I think that the few people she has let get close to her know who she is” Louis replied, “Those two friends of hers from school, the way she tends to frighten that Doctor she has as a mentor, perhaps that boy who she met over the back fence when she lived with Gräfin Katherine and the Gräfin herself.”

“Ben Hirsch?” Freddy asked, “You cannot be serious. She dated him mostly out of proximity if I had to guess. He just seems… Well, ordinary.”

“That is perfectly in line with what I said” Louis replied, “Should it be a surprise to you that she wants an ordinary life?”

“But she is a part of this family” Freddy said, “No one expects that of us, all our lives we were told that a great deal was expected.”

“You were told that” Louis said, “Kiki was given a very different message. Do I need to remind you of what that was and why she has rejected it for the most part?”

“No, Poppa” Freddy replied.

It was something so obvious that Louis hardly needed to have mentioned it. All her life Kiki had people trying to fit her into a princess shaped box, told about how she would one day be a wife and mother who would have sons who would do great things. It was hardly a surprise that the first thing that Kiki did as she started to come of age was to reject that. She wanted to be the one who did great things. That was why it now wasn’t a surprise that she had found herself the target of malcontents from both the left and the right. To the left, she was too beholden to tradition, a militarist, and to the right, was entirely the result of progress they didn’t approve of. Oddly, Rea and Vicky aspired to be different things that seemed to be embodied in their older sister. For Louis, that was actually something he viewed with as a hopeful sign. He had been concerned that Ria would be a dilettante and Vicky might as well become the furniture wherever she eventually ended up. Life was not moving in ways anyone might have predicted for any of his daughters and that was a good thing.

Last edited:
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Forty-Six

“I think that the few people she has let get close to her know who she is” Louis replied, “Those two friends of hers from school, the way she tends to frighten that Doctor she has as a mentor, perhaps that boy who she met over the back fence when she lived with Gräfin Katherine and the Gräfin herself.”

I think it is interesting that Louis refers to Kat as the Grafin herself instead of her given name or nick name. This seem like she is embodied with superpowers almost. Scares people in Russia and other countries even.

I think it is interesting that Louis refers to Kat as the Grafin herself instead of her given name or nick name. This seem like she is embodied with superpowers almost. Scares people in Russia and other countries even.

* Kat seen entering a hotel somewhere on the planet for a totally innocent family vacation *

Local official #1: 'Is that Grafin von Mischner?'
Local official #2: 'I think so. I wonder why she's here?'
Local official #3: 'The Tigress? Here?! Oh, shit! Oh, shit! Oh, shit!'
Officials #1 & #2: 'WTF HAVE YOU DONE?!'

* Cue all sorts of shenanigans & random chaos. Media proclaims discovery of a scandal that brings down several important & powerful persons, who are facing decades in prison, and crediting the discovery to the arrival of Kat in the area *

Kat: 'WTF? We were on vacation! We spent the entire time sightseeing with the kids!'
Doug: tries to suppress laughter due to extremely heightened sense of self-preservation.

Freddy may be a jealous jackass jerk at times but at least he is not a pompous prick, that scene with the Emperor and the Crown Prince talking like a father with his son about the family business feels very real to me.
It also shows the difference that each of them had growing up with Louis Ferdinand having the freedom to do what he wanted to do with his life within reasonable boundaries while Freddy being groomed from the outset to become the next Emperor.
Freddy has shown that he is taking his role seriously by studying law even through I doubt he has any great love for the subject but he knows that it is necessary for his training along with his stint in the Pioneer Corps so that he can tell when someone is blowing smoke up his ass when the time comes for to be Emperor.

As for Kiki this latest incident will definitely end her stint with the FSR as she needs to take a lower public profile until the wedding where she is the Maid of Honor to Suga.
So I can see her being shipped off to the German Pacific Islands with a protective detail working at various medical clinics and afterwards she will get to go to medical school somewhere besides Berlin where it would be easier to protect her.
What would be funny if Louis Ferdinand and/or Charlotte are getting backdoor inquiries from the various royal families of Europe about the possibility of Kiki being a match for their sons as Kiki's popularity will help shore up support for their families.

The interesting place for Kiki to go would be the former German East Africa colonies with a medical mission with some of the Oberstabber that is VLB's aide German relatives along on the trip. Go someplace far inland and then some of the city folk come looking for her. Imagine the "Natives" fun and games to be had.

Would either Mithras and/or sponsor be one of the guys rejected by kiki. Would explain why so many attemps around her while she has a fer more more people ahead of her in royal succession.

Maybe some intellectual jock at university or a noble she met at an event?

I am curious about the investigation that must be going.

Between the high value target the public interest and many different jurisdictions this case crosses over it should be an absolute madhouse just to get things organized.

All sorts of civilians and military and intelligence agencies and departments on state and federal level will be involved and everyone will be motivated be the ones to do their best.

And that is just on the side of law enforcement. The average criminal on the street and all sorts of organized crime will be quite unhappy with this whole thing too and then there are the various minor radical movements that must be going on. There are probably some mostly harmless groups for every minority in the empire, most of which see the other groups with slightly different political ideologies representing the same minorities as their worst enemy. They are all going to be very upset at having increased scrutiny brought upon them and having their PR hurt by recent attacks.

And then you have all sorts of foreign interests keeping an eye out in case it becomes their problem.

It should all be quite chaotic.

And now they have a number of live bodies to work with. It won't take long to build a network of contacts from both the living and dead, and sooner or later someone is going to crack and give a name. At that point, to quote one of Arthur Conan Doyle's creations "the game is afoot".

If Mithras is as smart as he thinks he is, he will be running for the hills by now (like, the Himalaya).
And not just running from German law enforcement. I can imagine that his sponsor will be very keen to tie up any loose ends here to avoid being snared.

As for the cause of this group: I get the feeling the sponsor is a right-wing old nobility kind of guy who sees the current emperor and his fmaily as way to liberal. And Kki as a woman is
especially galling to him, of course. Mithras' motivation is unclear to me, but the others in the group seem to be young middle/high class folk who are 'playing revolution' out of a certain
discontent with the establishment.

I would not be surprised if there was a certain amount of resentment against Kiki by some of the student radicals as Princess Kristina has been held up as a role model for others to follow.
If the radicals come from what I suspect is the upper middle class then having stories about her being a “Princess on a Budget” is wearing thin right now and having their parents or others going on how “When I was your age I was knee deep in mud and snow” is not helping things.