Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

A female ninja is known as a kunoichi
Yeah, but Kat for all facts did the job of the before mentioned male jobs rather than the usual stuff that Kunoichi did.

Her personal history shows her in the Japanese viewpoint as either an assassin and/or Elite Soldier who pretty could be compared only to a few living individuals in the world, most of them also Germans......

So believe me that NO Japanese will a Brain and knowledge will think on Kat as a Kunoichi specially given her War record.....

I hope Tilo does not think it was Nancy that sold Johann down the river, or worse yet Johann, or God forbid, Tilo's mom, or unimaginably, Admiral von Schmidt gets that idea...........

There could be a witch hunt for how Johann got outed with lots of folks who might think Nancy had something to do with it in order for her to finally land blissfully in Tilo's arms.

She did have a powerful motive, and lots of folks in high places are aware of this.

Last edited:
Well this means that there is nothing standing in the way of Nancy and Tilo from getting together now.
The reaction of President Truman and the American government shows that they are learning how "The Game" is played on the world stage and know when to strike back at a later time and place.
For Schultz what just happened to him is one of the better ways to end a great career as some of the other ways involve things like bullets to the back of the. head, an anonymous watery grave wearing cement shoes, finding one self being put in a mental institution for "safe keeping".

For one part it was a decent end to Schultz's career ñ. For the other, Kat it's inwardly laughing her ass as Schultz it's going to experience the sheer annoyance of being Awarded, possibly raised into the Peerage... and being more than likely given a Teacher's post in the War Academy AND the unofficial school for the future BND agents...........

....... That or becoming the equivalent of Kat for Louis Ferdinand.... what would be even more ironical as Kat would have to see the old SOB's mug with regularity......

Part 70, Chapter 1021
Chapter One Thousand Twenty-One

17th July 1953

Tokyo, Japan

The conversation on the flight kept rolling through Kat’s mind as she got off the plane that had landed in Tokyo. When the Empress had ordered her to go to Japan she had been told that the German Government would be sending the foremost expert on Asian Cultures with her. However, in a cruel twist of what even Kat had to admit was ironic justice they had sent Tilo Schultz whose father she had gone out of her way to see publicly humiliated before the Imperial Court in Potsdam. As she had prepared for the trip and then on the extremely long flight to Tokyo Tilo had filled her head with everything he thought she should know so that she become an international embarrassment, again.

“In Japan right now, they are trying to decide if you are Onna-bugeisha or Kunoichi” Tilo had said.

“Wait, what” Kat had replied over the unfamiliar terms.

“They know that you are a noblewoman and companion of the Empress, a Gräfin in the Imperial Court” Tilo said, “But are you a female Samurai or Kira’s spy and assassin, that is the question that is at the back of all of their minds.”

Kat knew she didn’t fit neatly into either of those categories. There had been a number of times that she had been all those things. It gave her a lot to think about as the plane had landed.

Stepping out of the plane itself was like walking into a wall. It was hot, at least thirty degrees and it was raining. She had been warned that if she was going in uniform then it had to be tropical issue. She was understanding why. Instead, she had worn an oversized American style t-shirt and cut-off trousers on the flight. If she was going to be cooped up in an airplane for an entire day, then she was dressing for her own comfort and she didn’t care what anyone had to say. Even so, she felt feverish by the time she made it through customs. Tilo, who was wearing a blue and white wool uniform was hiding it, but Kat could see sweat trickling down the back of his neck.

Customs had taken a dim view of the karambit that was sheathed in the small of her back. How they knew it was there, Kat couldn’t figure out. Under Japanese Law, both the weapon itself and the nature of the person holding it were factored in. With her reputation preceding her, they reacted like if she was bringing a gun into the country. Eventually, a phone call and her diplomatic passport got them to back off.

It was then that they made it out to the car where they were greeted by a far more formidable challenge than inclement weather or obnoxious officials as Tilo sat in the front and Kat in the back. Maeda Natsumi, the Senior Equerry for the Women of the Imperial Household. She was a woman of indeterminate years who was rumored to be a mistress of the Japanese Emperor. Tilo said something to her in Japanese from the front seat of the car and she just sneered at him.

“Your Japanese is terrible” Natsumi said to Tilo in perfect German. Then she pulled out a hand fan that she unfolded and began fanning her face. Sitting across from her, Kat could see that the fan was made from steel plates. It seemed strange, but she realized that this was one of her foreign counterparts. Something that she had never imagined could exist, much less would encounter.

Potsdam

“Unfortunately, the Gräfin is out of the country” Schultz nearly blew his stack when he learned that from the Palace Footman. That was all so very convenient for her. Kat had skipped town after suggesting that he receive medals and Orders from the Emperor. The press was out in force, something that he was sure that he also that Kat to thank for. Helga thought that it was wonderful, he could finally get his due and retire for real this time. Schultz knew what the score really was. Unless he found something to do with himself, odds were extremely high that he would be dead within a year. The whole situation would have been tolerable except the British had passed several messages through back channels gloating about how they had been the ones to finally get him.

“This is all so exciting” Helga said. Their children and grandchildren were with them. Except for Tilo, who had been called away for reasons of State. Fortunately, Jost could put the fear of God into Eric and Karl like few others. As a professional Noncommissioned Officer Jost did that professionally. With Lenz finally getting married, Jost and Tilo were showing no sign of settling down from Helga’s perspective. Schultz didn’t have the heart to tell Helga that Jost preferred the sort of women who you paid to leave at the end of the date and Tilo was still in pursuit of the Jensen girl. Helga just found it unacceptable that her sons would live that way. Schultz had gotten a dirty look when he had said asked if she meant single and happy. At the same time, Helga didn’t see anything wrong with Inga being “married” to Jesus Christ as a Sister in the Order of Saint Clair. Her wearing her Nun’s habit did look odd here in the Imperial Court but she had gotten leave to come watch her father be inducted into the Pour le Mérite Order. There was something else that Schultz knew about his youngest daughter, joining a Holy Order was a way for Inga to hide from her mother that she was a friend of Old Fritz. It would kill Helga if she ever learned the truth of that.

Last edited:
It's the British coup of the century, to say the least.

But out of interest, how deep is the British penetration, that they can make heads or tails out of a magnetic tape in one month and even analyse it?

And a question, regardless of story, how dificult is it to recover useble information from an magentic tape with unknown properties?
Recovering raw data from a magnetic tape is of no difficulty whatsoever, barring exceptional circumstances like very old (fragile, explosive) celluloid tape.

Schultz knew what the score really was. Unless he found something to do with himself, odds were extremely high that he would be dead within a year.
Schultz is going to find himself in high demand as corporate security consultant as the real espionage war is going to be waged by corporations trying to protect themselves from their competitors and trying to gain advantages for themselves.
From the simple common sense of protecting sensitive information to rooting out those who are embezzling from the corporation and selling information to the highest bidder, Schultz is going to make a boatload of money and laughing at Kat all the way to the bank.

“I am also prepared to show how magnanimous I am” Kat said, the instant she said it she saw that Kira was giving her a dirty look. Something in Kat’s manner must have given her away, the Empress knew her a little too well. “It seems to me that long service for the Empire should be rewarded. It is known that officially Johann Schultz is still considered a Feldwebel-Lieutenant, unofficially he rose to the rank of Oberst within Abwehr and BND which would make him eligible for several awards that he has certainly earned. Now those awards can be given, and they would have my endorsement. With the appropriate safeguards of course.”

“That does sound like a good idea” The Emperor said.

“Real clever, Katherine” Kira said with words that sounded like they were chipped from ice, and Louis stared at them not sure about the subtext of what was going on here.

I must admit that I am just as clueless as Louis as to what the subtext is. I must be dense. Would someone be so kind as to 'splain to me how anything Kat just suggested would serve for her to "get even" with Schultz? Putting him up for a medal or two does not seem to me that she is doing anything evil to JS. I am also just as unclear as to what is meant by the reference to "safegaurds".

Color me confused (or dense).

Edited to add: Ninja'd by PM. Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
I must admit that I am just as clueless as Louis as to what the subtext is. I must be dense. Would someone be so kind as to 'splain to me how anything Kat just suggested would serve for her to "get even" with Schultz? Putting him up for a medal or two does not seem to me that she is doing anything evil to JS. I am also just as unclear as to what is meant by the reference to "safegaurds".

Color me confused (or dense).
The safeguards are that the reasons for the honors are not publicized and the payback for Kat is that Schultz is basically rendered useless as an operative as every Intelligence Agency in the world will have eyes and ears on him 24/7 from now on and any one seen with him will get tagged as a potential spy.

I think the subtext is that Kat hated receiving her various awards and Schultz was instrumental in her getting many of the earlier ones. She hated the recognition and visibility and I believe Schultz is probably the same way, much preferring to stay in the shadows. Now he is going to be publicly recognized. The safeguards are probably that making sure the press are invited to the ceremony so it gets lots of coverage.

As things went, in short words the bloody Brits had a shot of sheer luck because an MI6 agent decided to take a trip into the HQ of the BND wearing a Heer uniform, all while the security was relaxed because the BND was mobilized supporting the security apparatus of Louis Ferdinand and Kira during the Crowning of Elizabeth II.. And had the bloody luck of getting his hands on one of the magnetic tapes from the older operations of the Abwehr/BND that was going to be destroyed.

The problem that the MI6 not only screwed up Schultz, but they acted like brats rather than keep silent...... Acted like Brats with a Veteran of Intelligence who had access to more dirt in ALL aspects of the Western Democracies than entire Intelligence Agencies.....

.... Sooo, i hope that they enjoyed the laughs in Buckinghamshire, because Schultz it's going to let the other shoe drop from whatever Social, Political or Economic dirt he lets surface... nothing truly "damaging" to Britain's integrity and such.... buuut the Government may fall or have to answer extremely pointed questions......like for stuff like this...

Scandal of forceful "Export" of British Orphans to Australia into Abusive Orphanages in OTL.

If something like this happened here, I can assure you that a LOT of people in the Government will have to deal with the public Opinion AND the Queen in Vlad Tepes mode... Ready to impale their sorry Arses.....

There's going to be a Vesuvian, no a Karakatoan, explosion when an inventory finds a tape missing. And the access logs turn up the name of someone who doesn't exist.

A lot of what Schultz did is still secret, but he/the Germans did act to prevent a US hired scientist from detonating a hydrogen bomb in Washington. And that is not secret....
In the midst of the Kraut scare, the US populace must be glad some professionals look after their security....
And Schultz would to many be a hero.
There is a dichotomy here. And some of the medals would off course be given for saving Washington.
Hope this gets explained more.

And some of the medals would off course be given for saving Washington.
The sheer irony of simultaneously issuing an invitation to be presented with some award and an arrest warrant to be executed if he accepts would be amusing. It is, however, quite unlikely to actually occur on the federal level.

I could see some sort of official thanks from the mayor of Washington DC, perhaps, though I don't believe he has the authority to award any kind of medal and Congress would almost certainly exercise its power to interfere with city government as it pleases if he did.

Sorry, I don't get this reference, what does it mean?
I'm not sure what ATL person or work it's referencing, but it's a clear parallel to the OTL term "friend of Dorothy", meaning a homosexual.