Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

One of the great things about this timeline is some of the things I have learned by accident.
In reading about the Wikipedia article about Frederick the Great, I found out about the Treaty of Amiity and Commerce signed between the United States and the Kingdom of Prussia in 1785, this treaty could still be in effect ITTL and if not, there could be some common ground in renewing the Treaty as way to defuse tensions between the United States and Germany.
Sorry about not knowing how to link.

One of the great things about this timeline is some of the things I have learned by accident.
In reading about the Wikipedia article about Frederick the Great, I found out about the Treaty of Amiity and Commerce signed between the United States and the Kingdom of Prussia in 1785, this treaty could still be in effect ITTL and if not, there could be some common ground in renewing the Treaty as way to defuse tensions between the United States and Germany.
Sorry about not knowing how to link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Commerce_(Prussia–United_States)

A dog like Hachiko?

An Akita then (Yes I have an agenda I'm pushing dammit.)

And another thought on them, if Freddy picks up the hobby of breeding dogs, he could see about breeding the Akita with the German Shepard (Pretty sure they can, would need to check and I'm at work so can't) and create a Third variant of Akita with the German Akita.

A female ninja is known as a kunoichi

Except for those belonging to religious orders sworn to celibacy. Those are Nunjas.

There's going to be a Vesuvian, no a Karakatoan, explosion when an inventory finds a tape missing. And the access logs turn up the name of someone who doesn't exist.

Inventory won't find it missing. It was slated for destruction. The only way it might be found missing is a mismatched record. 32 tapes marked for destruction, 31 tapes destroyed.

Kat going to pick up some tips and weapons from her counterpart? I've seen those steel fans (well, something like them) used in sparring against swords. It's fairly impressive. I was half hoping for the classic hyperspace arsenal to be found on Kat at customs. Karambit...machine pistol...secondary pistol...assorted knives....garrote...

Last edited:
Having worked with American Akitas in the early 1980's I have a love of the breed and an appreciation of their sheer presence and power. Hopefully in the early 1950's the breed has not become to inbred. If Freddy is gifted an Akita by the Japanese Royal Household that would be a singular honour.

Except for those belonging to religious orders sworn to celibacy. Those are Nunjas.

Inventory won't find it missing. It was slated for destruction. The only way it might be found missing is a mismatched record. 32 tapes marked for destruction, 31 tapes destroyed.

Kat going to pick up some tips and weapons from her counterpart? I've seen those steel fans (well, something like them) used in sparring against swords. It's fairly impressive. I was half hoping for the classic hyperspace arsenal to be found on Kat at customs. Karambit...machine pistol...secondary pistol...assorted knives....garrote...

Don't people keep careful track of what's scheduled to be destroyed vs what actually is? Even if it got missed then, the hunt for the leak should find the records and the discrepancy.

I like the Nunja!

Don't people keep careful track of what's scheduled to be destroyed vs what actually is? Even if it got missed then, the hunt for the leak should find the records and the discrepancy.

I like the Nunja!

There should be in some sort of record as a mismatched number. However, that might take some supreme digging to find. I've had to destroy hard drives with sensitive data when such records were kept, and by far the most common discrepancies were either A: One fell out of the box, or B: two stuck together. Something like that happening in reverse (Two tapes stuck together counted as one initially, and noticed when recounting) could completely cover the theft.

Part 70, Chapter 1022
Chapter One Thousand Twenty-Two

19th July 1953

Kyoto, Japan

Suga was enjoying a peaceful afternoon as she sat on her favorite bench on the edge of the rock garden. Haru was already done for the day, he said that he would rather sit in the shade than work in the afternoons during this time of year. Suga figured that she would have to find shade herself soon.

“In your letters, you described this place as peaceful” Suga heard a strangely accented voice say in English.

Suga looked over and saw a woman wearing a dark green dress made of a light weight fabric. The two things that struck Suga was that she was wearing a pair of slipper-like shoes and that her copper colored hair was being worn loose. Both those things seemed to be out of character for Gräfin Katherine. But then, did Suga really know her? There had been many times when Freddy had put something in the letters that seemed at odds with what she thought she knew.

“You read the letters?” Suga asked.

“No” Katherine replied as she sat down on the bench, “But Freddy tells me a lot, he said that you enjoy sitting on a bench beside a Zen garden and feel at peace.”

“I try to feel at peace” Suga said, “More of an aspiration.”

“That is a good thing to aspire to” Katherine said.

“Are you at peace ever?”

Katherine thought for a few seconds then she said, “Imagine laying in bed in the early morning hours and you can hear the rain drops hitting the glass of the windows or see the shadows of snowflakes. You are warm and only half awake, all of the world’s problems seem very distant.”

“That sounds nice” Suga said.

“It is” Katherine replied, “Unfortunately I never get to enjoy it for long because I live with two toddlers who need me.”

“Tatiana and Malcolm?” Suga asked. Freddy had mentioned them, Katherine’s two children, in one of his letters.

Katherine just smiled. This whole exchange was not what Suga was expecting. She remembered Katherine as this cold and harsh woman wearing a military uniform. What she was like now was nothing like that.

“Why are you here?” Suga asked.

“For a couple of different reasons” Katherine said, “I was sent to Japan for something that you have for Freddy for one.”

“Aki isn’t here” Suga said.

“Don’t be silly” Katherine replied, “That doesn’t need to be done until I’m ready to return home.”

“When is that?”

“In a few days” Katherine replied, “It depends on when I can pry my so-called expert on Asian Cultures out of this country and I might take in some of the sights myself.”

“What would you see?” Suga asked.

“I don’t know but find the idea of being someplace where no one knows me refreshing” Katherine replied.

Suga found that extremely funny. Now who is being silly, she thought to herself. Then Katherine looked at her, confused.

“Westerners with red hair tend to stand out” Suga told her, “Especially when they are an exotic Countess mentioned in all the papers. Arrangements are going have to be made so you don’t get mobbed.”

Suga figured that Katherine would not like being lectured by a girl half her age and knew as soon as she said it that it was a major breech of courtesy. Katherine however didn’t seem to mind.

“I was also asked by Kira Kirillovna to get a measure of you as a person” Katherine said. “What you might do on a lazy Sunday afternoon in the summertime, for example.”

That shocked Suga. Something she hadn’t anticipated, they couldn’t possibly think that…

“Tell me about Maeda Natsumi” Katherine said interrupting Suga’s train of thought.

Wunsdorf-Zossen

Kat’s revenge was complete, he had to give her that. As of this morning Schultz was one of the most famous, now former, Spymasters in the world. With one of the acclaimed front pages of the BT depicting him and a photograph of his face gracing every major newspaper in the world. The day before he had been informed that his replacement in the BND-NAA had been appointed. That meant that he had been officially put out to pasture. Oddly, a strange spin had emerged on the story. That when he and Martzel had caught up with Teller they had a choice. Let the attack happen, which would have been to their own nation’s advantage and probably would have knocked out a rival power. Or they could do the honorable thing and stop the attack, saving tens of thousands of lives in the process. The reality was that Martzel didn’t put that much thought into it. He had seen Teller as a crazed animal needing to be put down before anyone else got hurt.

Sitting on his back-porch Schultz thought about the future, he had been asked to help with the security review that was going on in the BND. The Brits had gotten into what was supposed to be one of the most secure buildings in the world. The OKW wanted to know exactly how that had happened. To his annoyance his can of beer was empty, then he noticed movement out of the corner of his eye and chucked the can at it. Schultz heard a clank and a voice yell “Ow!” as Erik jumped up having been beamed in the head.

“What did you do that for!” Erik demanded.

“Sneaking up on people is rude” Schultz replied, “Now go get me a beer from the icebox.”

Schultz heard Erik walking away grumbling. “You’re just lucky it wasn’t a bottle” He called after his grandson and then was chuckling to himself. It was nice that he could still show Erik and Karl who was boss in this house. The thing was at twelve they were reaching an age when they would start trying to hit back.

Last edited:
Chapter One Thousand Twenty-Two

19th July 1953
“In a few days” Katherine replied, “It depends on when I can pry my so-called expert on Asian Cultures out of this country and I might take in some of the sights myself.”

“What would you see?” Suga asked.

“I don’t know but find the idea of being someplace where no one knows me refreshing” Katherine replied.

Suga found that extremely funny. Now who is being silly, she thought to herself. Then Katherine looked at her, confused.

“Westerners with red hair tend to stand out” Suga told her, “Especially when they are an exotic Countess mentioned in all the papers. Arrangements are going have to be made so you don’t get mobbed.”

Suga figured that Katherine would not like being lectured by a girl half her age and knew as soon as she said it that it was a major breech of courtesy. Katherine however didn’t seem to mind.

“I was also asked by Kira Kirillovna to get a measure of you as a person” Katherine said. “What you might do on a lazy Sunday afternoon in the summertime, for example.”

That shocked Suga. Something she hadn’t anticipated, they couldn’t possibly think that…

“Tell me about Maeda Natsumi” Katherine said interrupting Suga’s train of thought.

I think Kat is about to meet not only her match but the person that will teach her a thing or two or thrree, I can imagine the offer to teach her a few things about the oriental martial arts that might turn out interesting.

Oddly, a strange spin had emerged on the story. That when he and Martzel had caught up with Teller they had a choice. Let the attack happen, which would have been to their own nation’s advantage and probably would have knocked out a rival power. Or they could do the honorable thing and stop the attack, saving tens of thousands of lives in the process. The reality was that Martzel didn’t put that much thought into it. He had seen Teller as a crazed animal needing to be put down before anyone else got hurt.

Eh, you get no credit from me for fixing the problem that you caused.

The Brits had gotten into what was supposed to be one of the most secure buildings in the world.

This DOES call for retaliation in kind. Time to infiltrate MI6. Or the tower of London. Pilfer the crown jewels, and leave them in MI6.

This DOES call for retaliation in kind. Time to infiltrate MI6. Or the tower of London. Pilfer the crown jewels, and leave them in MI6.

Nah, it needs to be something that won't draw Royal Ire.

Is Bletchley Park around? A strongly worded letter left on the desk of the head of the establishment, with no one knowing where it came from will do the trick.

Maybe a scone.

The search for potential wives for the Crown Prince may be going on right now, but the main problem is that White Protestant European Princesses in the right age range is probably thin on the ground.
They can't be Catholic because the Church will oppose it and excommunicate the family who would agree to the match and the Lutheran Church in Germany won't like it either.
I know that IOTL there was a requirement that the wife of a Prince in the Imperial Family had to come from a ruling house, but I think that was abolished ITTL.

The search for potential wives for the Crown Prince may be going on right now, but the main problem is that White Protestant European Princesses in the right age range is probably thin on the ground.
They can't be Catholic because the Church will oppose it and excommunicate the family who would agree to the match and the Lutheran Church in Germany won't like it either.
I know that IOTL there was a requirement that the wife of a Prince in the Imperial Family had to come from a ruling house, but I think that was abolished ITTL.
The Catholic Curch might raise a stink, depending on who is Pope atm, but excomunication? no, spousal conversion upon royal marriages has been a thing for centuries and the hierarchy in rome knows when not to shoot itself in the foot over this issue. As for the Lutheran Church, Louis, like all the other german royals, is head of the Lutheran Church in Prussia/their state, despite the fact that he and his branch of the family have been Calvinists for more than a hundred years...

Honestly, Suga is a hard choice to beat considering other possibilities on the ground. I mean there might be another European Princess of marriagable age, maybe a minor Scandie or Dutch, but Suga is an Imperial Princess, and the value of a title can't be understated.

Then there is the fact that the things that count against her only become less important as time marches on.

Nah, it needs to be something that won't draw Royal Ire.

Is Bletchley Park around? A strongly worded letter left on the desk of the head of the establishment, with no one knowing where it came from will do the trick.

Maybe a scone.

Or maybe a scare cat?

There should be in some sort of record as a mismatched number. However, that might take some supreme digging to find. I've had to destroy hard drives with sensitive data when such records were kept, and by far the most common discrepancies were either A: One fell out of the box, or B: two stuck together. Something like that happening in reverse (Two tapes stuck together counted as one initially, and noticed when recounting) could completely cover the theft.

I was looking at this from the viewpoint of [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_tape_data_storage#IBM_formats']old school mainframe tape reels - just under a foot in diameter and about 3/4 of an inch thick.

Note the bit about densities and encoding methodologies: "Nine-track tapes had densities of 800 (using NRZI), then 1600 (using PE), and finally 6250 (using GCR)," additionally complicating data retrieval.[/URL]