Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

It's the British coup of the century, to say the least.

But out of interest, how deep is the British penetration, that they can make heads or tails out of a magnetic tape in one month and even analyse it?

And a question, regardless of story, how dificult is it to recover useble information from an magentic tape with unknown properties?

Turing...need I saw more?
(Besides asking if he's around?)

But out of interest, how deep is the British penetration, that they can make heads or tails out of a magnetic tape in one month and even analyse it?

And a question, regardless of story, how dificult is it to recover useble information from an magentic tape with unknown properties?

It would be fairly difficult but the British have the expertise to figure it out, having among the best Signal Intelligence services in the world and magnetic tape is not of unknown properties because they know exactly where it came from. What gets me is that no one seems to have figured out something, it would have to be "Smiley" who finally nabs Schultz.

Thanks, both of you.
TBH, I would have thought that the data would be somewhat encrypted and / or you need the right program to read it back.

Not that it matters for story reasons, just my curiosity on how saving on tape works...

If the Americans wanted to, they could burn Schultz in a heartbeat. Declaring him PNG would bite a little, if the British did likewise, it wouldn't bite too much more. Any company in America he is, or was, involved with will be under very close scrutiny, and it may be that his ties with J Edna come into the open too.
There's nothing the Americans can do publicly against him, simply because if the full scope of the German penetration comes out it could cause a full on cold war as opposed to the quiet one on the go at the moment. Although Schultz would be a folk hero of epic proportions in Germany if the Americans do go public - the Luftwaffe NCO that humbled a great nation?
Ha! Can you imagine the TV Series that would come out? Oh dear Gods!

It will be interesting to see how TTL's American government deal with this.

What's Harry going to do without getting himself impeached for his dealings with Johanne?

TBH, I would have thought that the data would be somewhat encrypted and / or you need the right program to read it back.

Sort of. In the same sense that you need the right PC program to read the file type. However, if you have a half-decent programmer, he can get the data out without much issue.

What's Harry going to do without getting himself impeached for his dealings with Johann?

Exactly. Hence why at most it's likely to be a PNG and some VERY thorough tax examinations, (if it's good enough to get Capone then it will be good enough to get Schultz)

Actually you know what would be the easiest thing to do.

Pull together a paper trail use as much truth as you can get and make high quality forgeries of the rest. Then have a local police department finger Schultz as responsible for a murder and whatever other crimes seem reasonable. Push that into the National news then have the US government make a routine request to the German government that they turn over a wanted murderer.
None of the spy stuff even needs to come up.
And put the German government in the position that they will refuse to hand over a common criminal. After all Germany can’t admit what Schultz was really doing.

Part 70, Chapter 1020
Chapter One Thousand Twenty

12th July 1953

Potsdam

Why did German Spy Ring Thwart Washington D.C. Attack in 1946?

The New York Times article was long on speculation but short on specifics making the German Agents seem a combination of self-serving, misguided and heroic, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. It did however name Johann Schultz as the head of the North American Division of the BND burning him to a tiny blackened crisp.

“If I had to guess I would say that is the entire point of this article” Kat said as she concluded the summery as she gave her briefing today to both the Emperor and Empress. When Louis Ferdinand had asked to sit in today it had been unexpected.

“And the rest?” Louis asked.

Kat hesitated for a second. She had talked to Nessa von Schmidt-Faust about what it was that Teller had been planning on doing and she knew instantly why this was among the most deeply held secrets.

“You have my permission to speak about it this once, Oberstlieutenant” The Emperor said.

“Teller was disgraced as cover for one of our own operations, sabotaging the American Nuclear program, setting it back years” Kat said. It was the sort of stupid operation that Schultz engaged in. Big gambles and even bigger rewards unless if all fell apart. If anyone ever learned that had happened… “He was building an enhanced energy weapon that used an atomic bomb as a trigger that he was planning on setting off in Washington DC during a joint session of Congress. Nessa von Schmidt has said that it might have worked.”

“What would have been the worst outcome?” Kira asked, “If Teller had been allowed to proceed.”

“The U.S. Federal Government would have effectively ceased to exist” Kat said, “There would have been a massive humanitarian crisis from blast and the resulting anarchy. We have no idea what the effects of the radiation and fallout would be.”

“What of Johann Schultz himself?”

“The US Government has made sure that the entire world knows who he is. His ability to operate unseen is gone ending his effectiveness as a covert Officer” Kat said, “The State and Justice Departments of the United States made it very clear with a series of registered letters to his house what would happen if he ever sets foot anywhere in American jurisdiction.”

“You could be accused of enjoying this Oberstlieutenant” The Emperor said, “I understand that you and Johann Schultz do not get along. That you have gone to disturbing lengths to avoid serving with him, like how you earned that Pour le Mérite for example.”

“My dislike of Schultz stops at the instant we are across the border” Kat replied, “It brings me absolutely no pleasure to see him exposed like this.”

“That is good to hear” The Emperor said.

“I am also prepared to show how magnanimous I am” Kat said, the instant she said it she saw that Kira was giving her a dirty look. Something in Kat’s manner must have given her away, the Empress knew her a little too well. “It seems to me that long service for the Empire should be rewarded. It is known that officially Johann Schultz is still considered a Feldwebel-Lieutenant, unofficially he rose to the rank of Oberst within Abwehr and BND which would make him eligible for several awards that he has certainly earned. Now those awards can be given, and they would have my endorsement. With the appropriate safeguards of course.”

“That does sound like a good idea” The Emperor said.

“Real clever, Katherine” Kira said with words that sounded like they were chipped from ice, and Louis stared at them not sure about the subtext of what was going on here. “Princess Suga of Japan has sent her condolences over Prince Friedrich’s recent loss and she has made arrangements for a gift that she thinks would lift his spirits. The thing is that a special courier is needed to go to Japan and retrieve it. I think that your talents make you perfect for the task.”

“Thank you, your Highness” Kat replied, knowing that Kira was aware of what Kat had just done to Johann Schultz. It was more than a decade and half in coming but turnabout was fair play and revenge in this manner was very sweet indeed. There was however the price that was always had to be paid.

“This will be a mission that involves a great deal of diplomacy and I expect that you understand that you will be representing the Empire and the House of Hohenzollern” The Empress said sternly.

“Yes, I understand.” Kat said and turning to the Emperor, “Your Highness.”

Then she turned and walked out.

“Care to tell me what that was all about?” Louis asked.

“Her being so cheeky” Kira said, “She understands the implications of her actions and is being too clever by half.”

“But having her fly halfway around the world, with her social and military rank the Japanese won’t be sure how to react” Louis said, “Especially with a task like this.”

“Learning a little bit of humility never hurt anyone” Kira said.

Louis just rolled with it. He knew that there were times when Kira was difficult to understand, it seemed like Kiki was more like her mother every time Louis talked to her. This just struck him as another one of those times. At least things were still simple with Rea and Vicky.

Good way for the Americans to handle it--depending on how much choice they had. If the papers found out before it was time to release it, then things get hairy fast. Kat to Japan--a lot like ordering Rook to Queen 8.

I don't think Kat's left any Japanese citizens bleeding on the ground--yet.

Chapter One Thousand Twenty

12th July 1953

Potsdam

Why did German Spy Ring Thwart Washington D.C. Attack in 1946?

The New York Times article was long on speculation but short on specifics making the German Agents seem a combination of self-serving, misguided and heroic, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. It did however name Johann Schultz as the head of the North American Division of the BND burning him to a tiny blackened crisp.

“If I had to guess I would say that is the entire point of this article” Kat said as she concluded the summery as she gave her briefing today to both the Emperor and Empress. When Louis Ferdinand had asked to sit in today it had been unexpected.

“And the rest?” Louis asked.

Kat hesitated for a second. She had talked to Nessa von Schmidt-Faust about what it was that Teller had been planning on doing and she knew instantly why this was among the most deeply held secrets.

“You have my permission to speak about it this once, Oberstlieutenant” The Emperor said.

“Teller was disgraced as cover for one of our own operations, sabotaging the American Nuclear program, setting it back years” Kat said. It was the sort of stupid operation that Schultz engaged in. Big gambles and even bigger rewards unless if all fell apart. If anyone ever learned that had happened… “He was building an enhanced energy weapon that used an atomic bomb as a trigger that he was planning on setting off in Washington DC during a joint session of Congress. Nessa von Schmidt has said that it might have worked.”

“What would have been the worst outcome?” Kira asked, “If Teller had been allowed to proceed.”

“The U.S. Federal Government would have effectively ceased to exist” Kat said, “There would have been a massive humanitarian crisis from blast and the resulting anarchy. We have no idea what the effects of the radiation and fallout would be.”

“What of Johann Schultz himself?”

“The US Government has made sure that the entire world knows who he is. His ability to operate unseen is gone ending his effectiveness as a covert Officer” Kat said, “The State and Justice Departments of the United States made it very clear with a series of registered letters to his house what would happen if he ever sets foot anywhere in American jurisdiction.”

“You could be accused of enjoying this Oberstlieutenant” The Emperor said, “I understand that you and Johann Schultz do not get along. That you have gone to disturbing lengths to avoid serving with him, like how you earned that Pour le Mérite for example.”

“My dislike of Schultz stops at the instant we are across the border” Kat replied, “It brings me absolutely no pleasure to see him exposed like this.”

“That is good to hear” The Emperor said.

“I am also prepared to show how magnanimous I am” Kat said, the instant she said it she saw that Kira was giving her a dirty look. Something in Kat’s manner must have given her away, the Empress knew her a little too well. “It seems to me that long service for the Empire should be rewarded. It is known that officially Johann Schultz is still considered a Feldwebel-Lieutenant, unofficially he rose to the rank of Oberst within Abwehr and BND which would make him eligible for several awards that he has certainly earned. Now those awards can be given, and they would have my endorsement. With the appropriate safeguards of course.”

“That does sound like a good idea” The Emperor said.

“Real clever, Katherine” Kira said with words that sounded like they were chipped from ice, and Louis stared at them not sure about the subtext of what was going on here. “Princess Suga of Japan has sent her condolences over Prince Friedrich’s recent loss and she has made arrangements for a gift that she thinks would lift his spirits. The thing is that a special courier is needed to go to Japan and retrieve it. I think that your talents make you perfect for the task.”

“Thank you, your Highness” Kat replied, knowing that Kira was aware of what Kat had just done to Johann Schultz. It was more than a decade and half in coming but turnabout was fair play and revenge in this manner was very sweet indeed. There was however the price that was always had to be paid.

“This will be a mission that involves a great deal of diplomacy and I expect that you understand that you will be representing the Empire and the House of Hohenzollern” The Empress said sternly.

“Yes, I understand.” Kat said and turning to the Emperor, “Your Highness.”

Then she turned and walked out.

“Care to tell me what that was all about?” Louis asked.

“Her being so cheeky” Kira said, “She understands the implications of her actions and is being too clever by half.”

“But having her fly halfway around the world, with her social and military rank the Japanese won’t be sure how to react” Louis said, “Especially with a task like this.”

“Learning a little bit of humility never hurt anyone” Kira said.

Louis just rolled with it. He knew that there were times when Kira was difficult to understand, it seemed like Kiki was more like her mother every time Louis talked to her. This just struck him as another one of those times. At least things were still simple with Rea and Vicky.

There’s a reason my wife says the Y-chromosome is the clueless gene. And in this we have yet more evidence. Damnit!

Last edited:
...... And Suddenly I'm feeling an immense amount of utter pity for the Japanese version of the SKA/MA's officers and grunts.

In the other side, i can imagine the older and more competent soldiers in the Japanese Navy and the in-reform Army treating her with utter respect tinged with slight carefulness.

... Because in this case methinks that Kira certainly DOESN'T understand what kind of message sends to the Asian and specially Japanese mindset the fact that she is sending what amounts to her personal equivalent of a Shinobi/Hitokiri.....

Short to say, Tilo will cringe to the news, and Admiral Schmidt WILL facepalm for once.......

Johann Schultz, the first recipient of the Grand Cross of the Order of Sneaky Bastards That Fuck With Our Enemies with Swords, Diamonds and Bells. Always awarded with a handful of confetti, glitter and a fanfare by kazoos.:evilsmile:

...... And Suddenly I'm feeling an immense amount of utter pity for the Japanese version of the SKA/MA's officers and grunts.

In the other side, i can imagine the older and more competent soldiers in the Japanese Navy and the in-reform Army treating her with utter respect tinged with slight carefulness.

... Because in this case methinks that Kira certainly DOESN'T understand what kind of message sends to the Asian and specially Japanese mindset the fact that she is sending what amounts to her personal equivalent of a Shinobi/Hitokiri.....

Short to say, Tilo will cringe to the news, and Admiral Schmidt WILL facepalm for once.......

Anybody wanna bet that the Japanese won't give her a pair of swords?

A female ninja is known as a kunoichi

......... Odds that she somehow gets/finds a set of Swords that make everyone cringe once checked as it's nothing less than a full Muramasa Sword Set?

What kind of dogs do they have in Japan? Anyway, the reaction of the Japanese to Kat turning up will be interesting.

Off the top of my head?

Akita AKA The big fluffy bundle of joy and fun. (My choice)

Shiba Inu AKA Doge. Basically a Japanese Golden Retreiver.

Kai Ken AKA Probably the sort of dog you give the future emperor of a friendly nation.

There are others of course, including Japanese breeds of well known dogs (Terriers for example) but that's what I've got.

...I like dogs.

-edit-

Actually, I just realised that the Akita might be extinct in this timeline. They were almost extinct before WW2, and while efforts to conserve them were underway, WW2 actually saw them basically getting devastated again.