Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 73, Chapter 1082
Chapter One Thousand Eighty-Two

5th August 1954

Berlin

There were times when Nancy simply couldn’t understand Kat. The day before Kat had attempted to resign over the recent assassination attempt on the Kaiserin and when that was declined she basically collapsed after she got informed of that and had been hiding in her room since she had gotten home the night before. However, the Colonel in charge of the First Foot had been allowed to resign. That put Kat in charge of the Regiment, what was arguably the pinnacle of her career and she was acting like if it was the worst thing that could possibly have happened. It was the funeral of Matthias Schmied in a few hours that was something that could not be ignored, so Kat had been forced to leave for that. The death of the Master Sergeant was affecting Kat more than she was willing to admit. Nancy figured that it was going to make for an extremely long afternoon.

Nancy herself would have preferred to have avoided all of this except she had been encouraged to take a vacation this summer and her trip to Greece the prior year apparently didn’t count. The result was that she had been spending her days reading in her bedroom and trying not to think too much about the present state of her life. Every week she a letter in the mail from her mother letting her know that everything was fine, even if it wasn’t. If State was still reading her mail, Nancy figured that they must be bored to tears by now.

At work, her employers were happy with Nancy, sales were up for the Föhn/Rabbit series. She had her doubts about whether she had anything at all to do with that or not. All Nancy knew for sure was that the Corporate Board was giving credit to Promotions and she was a part of that. Then today, word had come that the Silk Road Rally race had started after being postponed for a couple days and rerouted to avoid going through active warzones. Nancy just hoped that this wouldn’t turn into the automotive equivalent of the tragic Dole Air Race from San Francisco to Hawaii that had resulted in several of the contestants either dead or missing.

Potsdam

The Empress had insisted on returning to the Summer Residence the instant that the Doctor in charge of her care would allow her to be moved. Not that her medical care had suffered from the move. The Empress was under the care of a team of the best Doctors in the world regardless of where she was. Still, Kat could see that even with the best of care Kira had not come through the experience well and would be struggling to recover in the months ahead. Word had also gotten around fast that she was the one who had phoned the OKW and told them not to accept Kat’s resignation.

“I need the security to be strengthened and that will not happen if the person I trust to do it is brooding in her bedroom for the next six months was the answer that” Kira said as she had once again refused Kat’s resignation. The Empress had rebuffed all of the reasons why Kat felt she was making a mistake.

“Aside from you, Louis and your children no one is indispensable” Kat said, “Not the Oberst, not Matthias and most certainly not me.”

“I would argue that Matthias was not indispensable” Kira replied, “Go talk to Friedrich and Michael about that, they were as close to him as you were. The two of you go all the way back to the SKA Team 2A if I am not mistaken.”

Kat was not happy to be reminded of that. Along with Kat, Matthias had been there during the unit formation of the 28th Regiment which would eventually form the nucleus of the SKA.

“If I am also not mistaken, we have a funeral to attend” Kira said.

“But the Doctor said you are to remain in bed” Kat replied.

“He said no walking and there is no way that I am going to be cooped up in here for the next few months” Kira said, “Now if you could get one of your aides to retrieve the wheelchair and send someone in to help me dress.”

“You need to take care of yourself” Kat said, “Going across town is not doing that.”

“Are you suggesting that I not attend the memorial of the man who saved my daughters?” Kira asked, “And do you think that taking care of myself includes letting myself fall into a black mood for the next several weeks Katherine?”

“It is not something I let myself do” Kat said, “It just happens.”

“I know that” Kira said, “But you know that you cannot let it interfere.”

As the Empress swung her feet off the bed Kat saw the large surgical cut that was still had the stitches on her abdomen and felt a new stab of guilt.

“Gia and I can now compare scars” Kira said entirely too jovially as Kat could see how just her sitting up was paining her.

Kat ended up negotiating with the Empress about what she could and couldn’t wear. Eventually convincing her that pajamas with a dressing gown and slippers would be entirely appropriate. Then in hope of stalling for time to convince her to get back into bed, Kat had sent for reinforcements. Klaus Voll with his hair and makeup people to be exact. It was while they were waiting that Kira said something that stopped Kat short.

“I don’t think you should be my Aide-de-Camp” Kira said, “Not anymore.”

“Care to tell me why?” Kat asked in disbelief.

“It’s because you’ve outgrown the role” Kira replied, “And that new girl, the one who broke Kristina’s nose. She seems like a suitable replacement.”

“Lieutenant Bäcker feels terrible about Kristina getting hurt” Kat said, “And it could get complicated because of who her Grandfather is.”

“Bohemians, Poles, Bavarians and Prussians in the eternal pissing match. The never-ending debate of the little boys with their lines on the map” Kira said, “I could care less about any of that.”

“Actually, her Grandfather is Swabian” Kat said.

“The point still remains” Kira said, “I’m leaving the transition up to you.”

“Yes, Empress” Kat replied knowing that Kira had already made up her mind.

Last edited:
You'd be hard-pressed to make as much of a debacle as the Dole air races. Of course, flying from North America to some speck in the Pacific was probably the wrong direction to take it.

“Yes your majesty, No your majesty and right away your majesty!” Or a variation on that theme are the only appropriate answers when the boss is in that sort of mood. I’ve been there once or thrice myself.

There is most likely to be an inquiry in to the assassination attempt and there will be deficiencies found in assessing threats against the Imperial Family.
Most likely there is a lack of coordination between local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies and the First Foot about what constitutes a real threat and what is just "Bar Talk" and how to tell the difference between them.
The First Foot being a military unit lacks the resources and know how to investigate the potential threats and needs to have a law enforcement agency to be dedicated in providing investigating and assessment intelligence.

There is most likely to be an inquiry in to the assassination attempt and there will be deficiencies found in assessing threats against the Imperial Family.
Most likely there is a lack of coordination between local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies and the First Foot about what constitutes a real threat and what is just "Bar Talk" and how to tell the difference between them.
The First Foot being a military unit lacks the resources and know how to investigate the potential threats and needs to have a law enforcement agency to be dedicated in providing investigating and assessment intelligence.

And Kat would be the perfect fit having training in hard military skills, police investigation and intelligence gathering. Not to mention trusted by the Imperial family and having the respect of both military and police hierarchies (the really high skilled elements thereof). She’ll just have to put on her big girl panties and crack on.

The thing is, Kat also has a shitload of (other) stuff to do. Being in charge of Regiment of infantrymen would leave her little time to go traipsing by herself. She might be the Empress' confidante and go-to problem solver, but there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of people in the German Police and Intelligence with the skills to handle those kind of issues. Kat wouldn't literally have enough hours in the day if she tries to do everything by herself.

How federated is the German Empire? Is the civilian government going to be OK with the military conducting domestic intelligence gathering and investigating civilians? In the US we generally don't like the military having civilian police powers, which is why the Marines are largely a ceremonial guard at the White House and the Secret Service are in charge of actual security. Kat and the First Foot might find themselves relegated to a ceremonial role, and if the Imperial Family objects it could spark a constitutional crisis.

In short words, it's more likely that from this will be born the GSG-9, as while the 1st Foot its skilled, the main reason why the shooting attempt happened is because the 1st Foot simply can't cover everything.....

Is the civilian government going to be OK with the military conducting domestic intelligence gathering and investigating civilians?
This why I suggested that a civilian law enforcement agency take over the protection of the Imperial Family, The First Foot can still provide protection of the various palaces that the Imperial Family resides in.

The thing is, Kat also has a shitload of (other) stuff to do. Being in charge of Regiment of infantrymen would leave her little time to go traipsing by herself. She might be the Empress' confidante and go-to problem solver, but there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of people in the German Police and Intelligence with the skills to handle those kind of issues. Kat wouldn't literally have enough hours in the day if she tries to do everything by herself.

Indeed. Kat is one person. The role, equipment and training of the 1st Foot Guards addressed security from a conventional military attack. That base is well covered. Protection of the Imperial family and perhaps extending to government leadership requires something in addition. What is required is a unit that encompasses civilian law enforcement procedures and intelligence gathering, special forces close quarters combat skills, and something like the American Secret Service for close personal protection. I believe that Kat would be excellent to lead and establish that unit. Her anxiety and need to protect would drive the efficiency and skills to a very high level. But as you say She wouldn’t be able to do that in a vacuum and there are many with skills that could be drawn upon.

On implementation of such a unit it would need a very strong character to meld the disparate elements of hard military skills and mind sets and equally fixed policing skills. The two mindsets are very different and don’t always play well together.

I think perhaps the Empress is already one step ahead of Kat with requesting Leutnant Baecker as her ADC.

In short words, it's more likely that from this will be born the GSG-9, as while the 1st Foot its skilled, the main reason why the shooting attempt happened is because the 1st Foot simply can't cover everything.....

Agreed and significantly more succinctly than I just did. :)

Last edited:
This why I suggested that a civilian law enforcement agency take over the protection of the Imperial Family, The First Foot can still provide protection of the various palaces that the Imperial Family resides in.
I dont understand your point why the security should be a civilian law enforcement. This is more a problem of if the threat is even found. Sure the goverment maybe doesnt want military intelligence agencies snooping around inland but the first regiment isnt an intelligence agency.
People may be comparing it to the us secret service but that only applies if you just take the protection of the potus etc. in account. The investigative part of the secret service isnt for threats against the president but for crimes against the currency. Everything else is normally handled by the FBI. And if the fbi wouldnt inform the secret service of a threat we could have the same situation here and the problem wouldnt be if the secret service is military or civilian.

On the gsg-9, im not sure if it would be founded. The gsg-9 is more like a swat team for the federal police. It was founded as an anti-terror unit after the munich terror act in 1972. And only because they thought having such a special unit on call would have helped. This was a hostage situation, totally different from a long gunman shooting. A special unit waiting on call in their base somewhere couldnt have helped ittl since everything was over before they even would have started the transit.

The reason you need a civilian law enforcement agency to provide protection is that the only powers that the First Foot has besides getting in between the protectee and the potential assailant is the power to detain the person only until they can turn them over to civilian law enforcement officials.
They can not investigate on their own any threats they may have received, interview suspects, and witnesses, so the question in this case did anybody report this assassin to a law enforcement agency before hand, if so was there any follow up, or did it fall between the cracks because it is not that agency job to do that sort of work.
In the United States if someone reports a threat on the President to the local police, the police knows to immediately to contact the Secret Service who will dispatch agents from the nearest field office to investigate the report and determine how credible it is.
So what if in this case someone reported the assailant to the Berlin City Police and the police did not pass this information to other law enforcement agencies because to them the threat was not credible in their mind?
An agency tasked with the protection of the Imperial Family and other important government officials would have able to carry out a more through investigation and come to the conclusion that the person was a credible threat and needed to either be prosecuted or if found legally insane, to be placed in an institution until they are no longer a threat.

I dont understand your point why the security should be a civilian law enforcement. This is more a problem of if the threat is even found. Sure the goverment maybe doesnt want military intelligence agencies snooping around inland but the first regiment isnt an intelligence agency.
People may be comparing it to the us secret service but that only applies if you just take the protection of the potus etc. in account. The investigative part of the secret service isnt for threats against the president but for crimes against the currency.

The investigative part of the USSS handles threats against the president and others. AFAIK the USSS has the power, unique in law enforcement, to knock on someone's door and invite themselves in for a chat.

One of the unintended consequences is this attack will drive a stake thru any lingering "Kraut Scare" in the United States as the sympathy factor for the Empress is cranked up to 11.
Maybe Princess Kristina will receive a note from Nancy's mother wishing her a quick recovery and offering prayers for her and her mother in this very trying time, I felt that Kiki liked Nancy's mother because she treated her like an ordinary girl and not like the Princess she is.

The reason you need a civilian law enforcement agency to provide protection is that the only powers that the First Foot has besides getting in between the protectee and the potential assailant is the power to detain the person only until they can turn them over to civilian law enforcement officials.
They can not investigate on their own any threats they may have received, interview suspects, and witnesses, so the question in this case did anybody report this assassin to a law enforcement agency before hand, if so was there any follow up, or did it fall between the cracks because it is not that agency job to do that sort of work.
In the United States if someone reports a threat on the President to the local police, the police knows to immediately to contact the Secret Service who will dispatch agents from the nearest field office to investigate the report and determine how credible it is.
So what if in this case someone reported the assailant to the Berlin City Police and the police did not pass this information to other law enforcement agencies because to them the threat was not credible in their mind?
An agency tasked with the protection of the Imperial Family and other important government officials would have able to carry out a more through investigation and come to the conclusion that the person was a credible threat and needed to either be prosecuted or if found legally insane, to be placed in an institution until they are no longer a threat.

That's the situation in the US and I don't think you can just transfer that concept to TTLs German Empire. Even after all these years the Emperor is still the Commander in Chief of the military. And since Prussia and later the German Empire always had a very special relationship with it's army (the old "Prussia is not a state with an army, it's an army with a state" saying springs to mind), a situation which most likely hasn't changed too much after the victories in the first World War and against the Soviets and Japanese, the idea of entrusting the security of the Emperor to a civilian agency will be seen very critically. Now, I don't even believe that a situation like the one that happened can be totally avoided, especially if it really is just a "lone gunman" kind of situation but if the the intelligence and security is found lacking I don't believe for a moment that the army will be relegated to a ceremonial role or superseded by a civilian agency.

A solution the intelligence problem would be setting up special task groups in the various existing agencies with the sole task of looking for threats to imperial family, always coordinating with the First Imperial Foot. The later could also get an enhanced regimental staff and special units attached to it (military police, even civilian agencies, all answering to the CO of the regiment. If warrants need to be served (or other law enforcement be taken) those could either done by special agents of the First Imperial Foot or by a special tasks group of the federal security service or another law enforcement group.

The important part is not to compromise the chain of command and to have one person in overall command.

This, and AFAIK there's no equivalent of possie comitatus in TTL's Germany.
We don't know if there is or there is not such an act, remember that the March Revolution was about to be suppressed by the Fourth Division when General von Wolvogle and the other officers decided that they needed to take a piss and the demonstration broke up peacefully.
As part of the reforms could have been the restrictions of the use of the military in civilian law enforcement duties without a State of Emergency being declared.

We don't know if there is or there is not such an act, remember that the March Revolution was about to be suppressed by the Fourth Division when General von Wolvogle and the other officers decided that they needed to take a piss and the demonstration broke up peacefully.
As part of the reforms could have been the restrictions of the use of the military in civilian law enforcement duties without a State of Emergency being declared.

But that is the kind of incident that makes people consider the military to be on the side of justice, freedom, progress and hardboiled eggs.
Getting the military out of law enforcement is generally a reaction to them responding to demonstrations with excessive force.