Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Sorry, I have to disagree with
But that is the kind of incident that makes people consider the military to be on the side of justice, freedom, progress and hardboiled eggs.
Getting the military out of law enforcement is generally a reaction to them responding to demonstrations with excessive force.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this point as if there was another commander there that day we would have a much different timeline then the one we are reading.
This was a very near call and this could have brought home the need for the military to be under strict civilian control and that includes use of the military in non emergency law enforcement matters.

Part 73, Chapter 1083
Chapter One Thousand Eighty-Three

17th August 1954

Potsdam

This place looked like it was from a different century, aside from cosmetic additions like electric lighting the Summer Residence was more or less unchanged since the renovations made by Frederick William the Fourth, more than a hundred years earlier. Anton Knoph had been summoned here today somewhat unexpectedly, but it was being hinted at that this represented an opportunity for him was intriguing.

Anton had spent thirty years doing police work as an investigator and this wasn’t the first time he had found himself speaking with a former trainee in a position of authority. His desire to be on the ground, out where the action was had kept him in a relatively junior rank. Katherine herself was a bit odd in that she was now wearing the uniform of an Oberst of the First Foot Guard, Anton couldn’t help but feel that she taken the second-best option.

“I do not know if you have heard but after the events of the last few weeks there has been a bit of a reordering of the First Foot” Kat said.

Anton had heard about that. Her trying to find out who might have sold the pistol to the individual who had shot up the church had been noticed. It was the real reason that her resignation had been declined, she was seen as being proactive while others had been scrambling to cover their own backsides.

“I’ve heard” Anton said, “That doesn’t explain why you invited me here Katherine.”

“Because I need someone with your background” Kat said, “The First Foot is in an awkward position and there have been calls for it to be play a purely ceremonial role while a civilian agency takes over the responsibilities it has long held.”

“I take it that you don’t approve of that?” Anton asked, and he saw from the look on her face that she clearly did not. “Exactly what do you have in mind?”

“We need to both investigate potential threats as well as providing protection to the Imperial family” Kat said, “While we have decades of experience in the latter… Anyone can see what the problem is.”

“Your outfit needs help identifying the cranks before they become a problem” Anton said.

“It also looks really bad for anyone in the First Foot to be seen taking on the role of the police” Kat said, “People see us at the Palace standing guard and are fine with that but if we need to act it is seldom with subtlety.”

“I would imagine not” Anton said, he was aware that the First Foot was a modern Motorized Infantry Regiment just like the Second Hussars were really a Panzer Regiment. The archaic uniforms were a show that was put on for public consumption. “There is also the political angle consider.”

Kat winced when he said that as she opened another door. “Politics are a curse” She said, “I know exactly how quickly the politicians can go from the warm glow of patriotism to complaining about traffic snarls.”

“Politicians typically follow the lead of the public” Anton replied, “They wait until they know the way the parade is going before they try to put themselves at the head of it.”

As they walked past to more of the blue uniformed guards they snapped to attention with the clicking of heels that Kat had secretly told Anton that she hated when they had been investigating the pistols. She kept her face blank from long practice.

“That is probably the truth” Kat said, “But opinions like that might pose a problem if you bring them up with Louis Ferdinand.”

“Is he easily offended?” Anton asked.

“Hardly” Kat replied, “He will ask you to explain your perspective and then he will debate it with whatever counterpoints come to mind.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad.”

“It depends” Kat said, “Are you prepared to spend several hours in a wide-ranging conversation?”

“I see” Anton said, he knew of several police officers who considered the people they encountered on the streets to be potential entertainment. It seemed that the Emperor apparently had a similar perspective.

“What you are basically being offered is a chance at promotion and the freedom to conduct whatever investigations that would fall within your purview” Kat said, “Much like you already do for the State Prosecutor.”

“Except I would be serving a different master?” Anton asked.

“You will be serving your boss’ boss” Kat said, “The Reichstag has final say about your appointment, but I have it on good authority that the Chancellor has no objections to you.”

That was a reminder of how high up the food chain all of this was. This was no longer big versus little fish, this was the sharks and whales that cast a shadow over everything that happened below.

They entered a room that looked like and outer office of some kind, a Secretary was there but she seemed to be making a point of ignoring them. When Kat saw the man leaving the inner office it felt like the temperature dropped by several degrees.

“This is Oberst Schultz of the BND” Kat said with clipped words, “The Emperor’s Advisor in Intelligence matters.”

Anton knew that Kat could be particularly unforgiving in some matters. Johann Schultz was someone she felt had taken advantage of her early on and nearly two decades later she was still angry about it.

“Looking well Katherine” Schultz said before he retreated in the face of an icy look from her.

“You know that life is too short to maintain that sort of anger” Anton said.

“You weren’t there” Kat replied as she opened the door to the inner office. Just inside the door was what looked like the office of any executive that Anton had ever been in, the man seated behind the desk however was not.

Last edited:
Part 73, Chapter 1084
Chapter One Thousand Eighty-Four

18th August 1954

Potsdam

“Perhaps you should have taken them up on the offer” Zella said.

“No” Kiki replied as she looked out the window at the indistinctive green blobs in the distance that she knew were trees. “I just wanted my nose back the way it was.”

“If you say so” Zella said.

When Kiki had been brought into Emergency Department of the Hospital the Attending Physician, who she would learn was one of the top Otolaryngologists available, had said that if Kiki wanted a nose job the job was already more than half done. It was an offer that Kiki had declined, and it was yet another reminder of her family’s place of privilege. Still, she had ended up with a cast on her nose and she couldn’t wear her glasses or breath through her nose for as long as it was there. Kiki remembered how she had disliked being required to wear glasses years earlier, now she was finding that she liked being unable to see clearly more than a few meters away even less.

All of this had happened just in time for the summer holiday to start and even if there were no plans this year it was still an annoyance. Zella had come around, but Aurora had been sent to her Grandparents house in Stuttgart which had thrown a pall over any plans that they might have made for themselves. Anya was here but she was keeping to herself outer room of the suite listening to Kiki’s record collection, Mozart at the moment. She said that her home had been invaded by the Russian Army and she had no interest in being there until they left. The attempt to kill the Empress and the current impasse regarding the talks to end the Greco-Turkish war meant that Czar Georgy wasn’t going anywhere until he figured that he gained more from leaving.

“Have you figured out what you are going to do about the stack of get well soon cards you got?” Zella asked.

Kiki winced. There were dozens of them and she knew that if her mother were not recovering from her own injuries then she would have insisted that Kiki had sent letters thanking them for wishing her well.

“I want to respond to some of those, but not all of them” Kiki said, “My cousin Elizabeth in England or Agnes Jensen, in Washington State for example.”

“The Queen of England and a Cashier in Spokane?” Zella asked, “Taken together, that seems a bit odd.”

“Both of them were nice to me” Kiki said, “Even though you were a bit rude to Agnes.”

“How was I rude?”

“You pretended not to understand English even though you were born in Australia” Kiki replied, “She knew what you were up to but didn’t make a big deal of it.”

“Really?” Zella asked.

“Some people are smarter than you give them credit for” Kiki replied and then nodded in the direction of Anya who was laying on the sofa with her eyes closed listening to Le Nozze di Figaro with a blissful look on her face.

Washington D.C.

Domestically, things were going well. An expanding economy had glossed over the racial divisions that had bedeviled Dewey. The implications of the recent Supreme Court decisions had yet to be felt in the country at large but Truman knew that was a ticking timebomb just waiting for the right time to go off. The edifice of Jim Crow was looking like a house built on sand and when it fell over all Hell was going to break loose.

Internationally there were too many moving parts and every time they made a move it seemed like unintended consequences swamped their efforts. The Greeks hitting the Turks back with weapons that were terrifying to anyone paying attention. Whatever had hit Ankara had given observers chills, a chemical weapon that caused even concrete to burn while releasing clouds of poison gas. Then Army Ordinance had finally gotten ahold of a German Pak 43 from Brazil, identical to the main gun on German Panther and Lynx tanks. Up until that had happened it was assumed that it was similar to the 90mm anti-aircraft gun that the Army had. That assumption had proven wrong as the German 88mm gun had proven superior to the 90mm which had needed to be modified to an anti-tank role and had yet to be mounted in any armored vehicles. It was starting to sink in just how far the US Military was behind the rest of the world. The most aggravating part was that it was something that Truman had been battling the Department of War over for years. Then there was the latest bit of news to reach Washington, Russian was using the war in Asia Minor to reemerge onto the world stage. That was something that no one had anticipated.

Truman was realizing that in a surprisingly short period of time all of this would be someone else’s problem. Traditionally, no President had run for reelection for a third term. He was starting to realize that sticking around longer than two terms was asking to die in office. With the mid-term election just getting started Truman knew that would mean that he would have only two more years left in office. While he wasn’t about to pull out the calendar and see exactly how many days he had left, it was a very tempting thing to do. On January 20th, 1957 he wouldn’t be able to get out of this town fast enough.

Last edited:
....Aand in a level, i can imagine Truman shuddering or laughing his arse to his VP and likely successor. Given Johnson's style and personality, he's highly likely to end causing a diplomatic and political clusterfuck before his first year ends.

FBKampfer

Banned
US Army Ordnance should be well aware of the capability gap of the KwK 43, and should have been for quite some time.

Ammunition should be easily obtainable by a second party user of the weapon, and you can easily calculate caliber length of the barrel and obtain an accurate estimate of pressures and muzzle velocities.

Either you've used Author's Fiat to make ordnance bureau even stupider than OTL, which itself is borderline ASB, or military intelligence is run by a school of goldfish.

We had a good idea of what the U5TS could do by 1965

Last edited:
....Aand in a level, i can imagine Truman shuddering or laughing his arse to his VP and likely successor. Given Johnson's style and personality, he's highly likely to end causing a diplomatic and political clusterfuck before his first year ends.
OTOH, Johnson seeing a much more rapid civil rights movement having understudied for Truman might get a LOT done in his first Hundred Days. Having a great 1957 and hanging on for dear life might just be viable.

Either you've used Author's Fiat to make ordnance bureau even stupider than OTL, which itself is borderline ASB, or military intelligence is run by a school of goldfish.

Or, Door #3, Arrogance. How many times have you heard someone say that they have the best equipment in the world. Ordnance being aware of a piece of equipment is one thing, being made aware of what it can do in the field the hard way is something that happens more often then one would think.

The edifice of Jim Crow was looking like a house built on sand and when it fell over all Hell was going to break loose.
Truman knowing that, should start thinking about building a "New Foundation" for the United States and his Vice President Lyndon Johnson is going to spend the Fall Mid-Terms campaigning for Democratic candidates across the country and laying his own foundation for a presidential campaign in two years.
Nancy if she goes to America for her vacation should find her welcome being much warmer as she may get employment offers from other automotive companies and also surprisingly from movie studios and Madison Avenue for her work on placing VW products in films.

But that is the kind of incident that makes people consider the military to be on the side of justice, freedom, progress and hardboiled eggs.
Getting the military out of law enforcement is generally a reaction to them responding to demonstrations with excessive force.

Sorry, I have to disagree with

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this point as if there was another commander there that day we would have a much different timeline then the one we are reading.
This was a very near call and this could have brought home the need for the military to be under strict civilian control and that includes use of the military in non emergency law enforcement matters.

I think you're both correct. It was a very close run thing and a different commander would have potentially caused a revolution and a very different TL.
However, as things have turned out, the public perception is that the military ARE all round good eggs, and decisions like this where again, the military are being seen as encouraging civilian oversight, (which will be equated, rightly or wrongly defending democratic process by example), will reinforce that view.
However, there but for the grace of past events go we in this timeline.

P.s. everyone should be on the side of boiled eggs, especially soft boiled eggs. They're very under rated!

Still, she had ended up with a cast on her nose and she couldn’t wear her glasses or breath through her nose for as long as it was there. Kiki remembered how she had disliked being required to wear glasses years earlier, now she was finding that she liked being unable to see clearly more than a few meters away even less.

Must have been a heck of a break. Also no glasses means headaches. I think not being able to wear my glasses would kill me of boredom. No reading, or anything else, nasty headaches..

Don't forget the Hohenzollerns are Prussians.
circa-1930-eva-eras-wearing-a-monocle-picture-id3066112

Let's not put the young woman through an even more traumatic experience by feeding her brothers the amount of ammunition that would come from her wearing a monocle.

I imagine her brothers don't need the help. The cast alone gives all they need. She should be able to give back as good as she gets at any rate.

She could pull a Fritz Lang, and do an eyepatch and a monocle. I'm sure it would look jaunty.

US Army Ordnance should be well aware of the capability gap of the KwK 43, and should have been for quite some time.

Ammunition should be easily obtainable by a second party user of the weapon, and you can easily calculate caliber length of the barrel and obtain an accurate estimate of pressures and muzzle velocities.

We had a good idea of what the U5TS could do by 1965
Or, Door #3, Arrogance. How many times have you heard someone say that they have the best equipment in the world. Ordnance being aware of a piece of equipment is one thing, being made aware of what it can do in the field the hard way is something that happens more often then one would think.
To be fair, in OTL the Germans and French essentially gave up on armor post-WW2 becasue HEAT rounds had developed to the point you couldn't stop them. So they made the Leopard 1 and AMX-30, which focused on getting a really nice 105mm gun with good optics and ammo on a nice fast chasis armored just enough to protect against light weapons. It wasn't until composite armor came along that anyone could realistically attempt to stop modern rounds without turning into a giant meters-thick steel box.

Part 73, Chapter 1085
Chapter One Thousand Eighty-Five

20th August 1954

Wunsdorf-Zossen

It was Hans who had encouraged Stefan to take the courses offered to Military Officers while they were in garrison in Wunsdorf, continuing his education at University level. Now he was free from that just in time for the Autumn field maneuvers to begin.

Dirks thought of it as the never-ending conveyer belt of life, the same for everyone whether they admitted to it or not. Wake up, brush teeth, go to work, come home and sleep. Repeat until your body lands in the morgue having died. With most people it was their body catching up with their soul which had died years earlier. As soldiers they were spared that, except for the ever-present possibility of a particularly gruesome death being ever present it was the perfect employment. The conveyer belt was annual as opposed to daily, so things still came as a surprise occasionally. The only surprises that a factory worker might get usually involved industrial actions or accidents. It was a reminder of why Stefan didn’t talk about life too much with Dirks.

Nizhoni found that amusing even though Stefan had been dead serious about the cynical personal philosophy of Gerald Dirks.

“He really thinks that way” Stefan said.

“But what do you think Stefan?” Nizhoni asked, “Do you have a personal philosophy?”

They were sitting on the front porch of the Horst house on a warm summer evening. Earlier they had gone to dinner and a movie as a fun date night, now they would talk until Horst himself came out and gave Stefan the stink-eye until they called it a night. It was what they had been doing every Friday unless weather or life prevented it. Much to the relief of Nizhoni’s parents Stefan and Nizhoni had decided that they would hold off on taking their relationship any further until she completed University. That had left Stefan wondering just how long it took to get a degree in Art History because he felt nothing but trepidation about what Nizhoni would do once she had to decide about their future.

“I don’t know” Stefan replied, “I used to consider any day I made it to the end of a good one.”

“My father and Jost Schultz have that effect on people.”

“Your father…” Stefan said, “In one of the courses I took, his name came up.”

“Which one?” Nizhoni asked.

“Ethics” Stefan replied.

“Really” Nizhoni said in disbelief, “I can think of a lot of University courses where my father would be mentioned, one that involves the philosophical study of morality is not one of them.”

“It involved his role in the Spring Revolution” Stefan said, “And about how he found a creative way to carry out his orders after General von Wolvogle went to go take a piss.”

“That whole story always struck me as being sort of odd” Nizhoni replied, “Why would they be teaching a bunch of Junior Officers about that?”

“Honor, democracy, right from wrong, ethics, orders and how all of that should work in practice, ideally” Stefan said, “General von Wolvogle wasn’t afraid to put his career on the line over such matters.”

“He was also sort of insane, or at least that is what my father and Kurt Knispel have to say” Nizhoni said, “He did gamble on what my father would do once he decided that putting down the revolution violently wasn’t the right thing to do.”

“Or it could just be that the Old Wolf knew that I would not want to gun down friends” Horst said from the door that Stefan had not heard open. “That crazy bastard knew his people, sometimes better than they knew themselves.”

“Sorry, Sir” Stefan said as he scrambled to his feet, “I didn’t hear…”

“No harm, there are worse things you two could be doing than discussing moral philosophy” Horst said, showing just how long he had been listening in on the conversation. “Good night Lieutenant.”

With that he shared a quick kiss with Nizhoni much to her father’s annoyance and then started to walk back to his quarters as Horst grumbling about what the neighbors must think faded in the distance. Today had turned out to have been good one, or at least it had ended well.

Potsdam

It was a bit amusing watching Freddy tonight. He had switched from ribbing his sister about how she should learn from experience that opening doors with her face was a bad idea to suddenly becoming the protective older brother in a heartbeat. This was when one of the items featured in that night’s newscast was about Kiki getting injured because a photograph had surfaced of her as she was released from the hospital with her face was a mass of plaster and bandages. Clearly visible her having two black eyes and she was staring off into space with an unfocused look on her face.

“It must have been taken with a telephoto lens because there is simply no way the photographer could have gotten around your security that afternoon” Zella said.

“I don’t know about that” Kiki replied, “I was so out of my head on pain-killers that picture could have been taken aboard the elevator on the way down to the car park and I wouldn’t have known.”

“It shouldn’t have been taken at all” Freddy said.

“Weren’t you just making fun of me about this?” Kiki asked.

“That’s different” Freddy replied, “As your brother I get to make fun of you Whippet, no one else gets to. I think there’s a law about that.”

Kiki would have given Freddy a dirty look except it was hard to do around the cast on her nose. Zella was more that happy to do it for her.

Last edited: