Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Didn’t she hire a bunch of ex-army engineers to manage the construction?

As the managers yes. However, think of a high-rise building in any urban environment and in this case multiply that by a few hundred. To build one you would need carpenters, masons, steel workers, pipe fitters, electricians, heavy equipment operators of several kinds, laborers and dozens of things that I can't think of right now. All of them are people who get off work and the managers have no say in what they do next with their own time.

I think the short version is that so long as Jarl doesn't give Kat any reason to look for him, she won't look. That means no going overboard and "making an example" unless it really is required, and no getting messy.
The key, and something Otto was a pastmaster at, was running the business from the shadows so that it never came to the attention of anyone who would consider it worth chasing down. This is what Jarl will have to do, and I take from the conversation that he knows this too.
While Kat may not like it, she is realistic enough to know that it happens.

Or she is foing to have him watched until they can unravel his organisation and those who profit from the corruption. He should have stayed away.

Part 72, Chapter 1067
Chapter One Thousand Sixty-Seven

4th June 1954

Moscow, Russia

“According to Senior Lieutenant Ivanov they have been having the expected mechanical and logistical troubles” Fyodor said, “The Greeks are suitably grateful even if they are used to a different set of requirements. There is however a problem in that they haven’t been able to keep international observers entirely out of the engagement zone.”

Field Marshal Zhukov had been pleased right up until that last part. The plan had been to field test new tanks and helicopters in the latest Greco/Turkish war. The helicopters were impossible to hide and roughly equivalent to the European designs that they had shamelessly copied. The tanks were a different matter, there was a great deal of national prestige tied up in them. Until everyone was certain that the T-54 was the world beater that they thought it was then no one outside of Russia would see it. There was also the element of surprise. Fyodor’s father being a cavalry General understood that, just there was the very different realities of how he and his two oldest sons had spent the war had caused a rift in the family that they were still dealing with.

Fyodor had been a teenaged conscript who had been plucked from his secondary education and sent to the front with a rifle only to get overrun during the apocalyptic battle of Stalingrad. Arkadiy being couple years older had been commanding a tank Platoon during the brutal latter stages of the war as the Army had been steadily pushed back to Moscow. The German Army had put him in a prisoner of war camp until he had been given a chance to go to University in Munich. Fyodor’s father had been in Canada with all the other hard cases who had been loyal to Russia and by extension the Soviets right up until the Germans had started opening up the archives of the NKVD to journalists and they found that everyone had been denouncing and informing on everyone else. Arkadiy had a sneering perspective over what had happened to his father and younger brother when they returned to Russia that only Fyodor had been able to get past.

“Is Ivanov aware of how much the French or Germans know?” Zhukov asked.

“He wasn’t able to say with any certainty Sir” Fyodor answered. He had been tasked with overseeing the portion of this project that remained within Russia by the Field Marshal and had learned far more about armor in the past few months then he ever wanted to know. He had only been an aide of Zhukov for the last six months, before that he had leading a Rifle Company in the Russian Far East. It had been his father who had plucked him from obscurity and gotten him this appointment. Arkadiy might be content to rot in Chelyabinsk, but Fyodor wasn’t.

He didn’t need to say that their own Intelligence had discovered that what they regarded as the key rival of the T-54, the Pzkpfw VII Lynx, was about to have a new version reach the field and that would mess everything up. The last thing they needed was an innovative product that could be undercut by an established rival.

“I will tell the Czar of this project’s success the next time I speak with him” Zhukov said.

“Thank you, Sir” Fyodor said.

“Don’t thank me” Zhukov said, “You screw this up then you will be wishing that you were still stuck in the asshole end of nowhere.”

Fyodor knew that wasn’t an idle threat.

Rural Eastern Virginia

When Jonny had told Parker that he only thought he knew how to drive he had thought that Jonny was putting him on again. It was only when he found himself on a dirt road outside Alexandria and Jonny handed him the keys to the Anglia that he learned that Jonny was dead serious.

“You are going to learn to drive fast over the next few days” Jonny said, “Or you’re going to get us killed and I’ll kick ass for it.”

That was about as close to a vote of confidence as Parker ever received. It had been over the next few days that Jonny had been yelling at him as he had been drenched in sweat driving at dangerous speeds on the frequently unpredictable roads of the Virginia countryside. There was also the small matter of the State Troopers who still remembered the time that they had failed to catch Jonny when he had been in Virginia the prior year. This whole thing was insane, but Jonny didn’t seem to care. They finally got pulled over while driving back into Alexandria. It was extremely questionable about whether or not the Anglia was street legal and once the Trooper started looking at the extensive modifications on the car they would be lucky to not to be arrested and have the car impounded. Jonny just told him to play it cool. That seemed like an incredibly easy thing for Jonny to say. Unless he was getting shot at, things hardly seemed to phase him.

“What is the problem officer?” Parker asked, Jonny had advised him in the past that police in the sticks are all about unearned respect and unquestioned authority. Show weakness, or worse, be the wrong color in the wrong place and they would stomp you into the ground in order to prove what great men they were.

“You know how fast you were going Mister Parker?” The State Trooper asked.

“Below the speed limit if that is what you are asking” Parker said, “My friend could vouch for that, he was just telling me that I was driving like an old woman.”

The Trooper looked at him sourly.

“What sort of piece shit car is this?” The Trooper asked.

“A Ford” Parker replied.

Last edited:
"A what"?
"It's an English ford sir, you know those Limeys don't know shit about cars".
"That's true enough Mr Parker, you drive carefully and try not to let that shitheap fall apart on you".
"Thank you sir, have a nice day"...

I think the short version is that so long as Jarl doesn't give Kat any reason to look for him, she won't look. That means no going overboard and "making an example" unless it really is required, and no getting messy.
The key, and something Otto was a pastmaster at, was running the business from the shadows so that it never came to the attention of anyone who would consider it worth chasing down. This is what Jarl will have to do, and I take from the conversation that he knows this too.
While Kat may not like it, she is realistic enough to know that it happens.

Jarl has already come to the attention of someone who would consider it worth chasing down...

Part 72, Chapter 1068
Chapter One Thousand Sixty-Eight

5th June 1954

Berlin

It was the first time that Judita had been in the hospital in years and she wasn’t liking it anymore than her prior experiences. Especially because she had a doctor talking at her.

“I notice that suffered a fairly substantial head injury several years ago” The Doctor said.

“It has nothing to do with that” Judita answered, she had already been forced to admit that she experienced nausea in descending elevators. The Doctor had made clear that everything relevant.

“I must disagree with you Fraulein Schovajsa” The Doctor said, “It says here that you were unconscious for a week.”

“I just wasn’t feeling well” Judita replied, “All that happened was that I was feeling faint.”

“You suffered a convulsive seizure that you are now trying to minimize, and your roommate, who I might add is terrified for you, told us that it may have happened before” The Doctor said, “We still need to run more tests, but it looks like you are Epileptic. That is something that you need to take very seriously.”

That was not something that Judita wanted to hear, as she tried not to burst into tears she focused on the most distant point she could see and shut out what he was saying. In exasperation the Doctor got up and she was left alone. This was everything she imagined would happen in her life crashing down around her. Kat would learn of this, that was unavoidable. She would never get a chance to prove herself as she had hoped, the opportunity had passed because of her health. She sat there in the examination bay for a time feeling sorry for herself.

“Hello Jitka” A disheveled man wearing a stained lab coat said as he walked in. “You are looking well today.”

“Is that a joke?” Judita said, no one had called her that in years.

“Hardly considering how you were the last time we saw each other” The man said, “I was having to set the bones in your arm and leg in the castle, and you had a nasty cut on your scalp.”

“How can you remember that and who are you?”

“Albert Brandt, I’m a Doctor here, Neurologist by specialty though much of my work has been in Pharmacology” Brandt said, “And I tend to remember the miracles.”

“You are saying I’m a miracle?” Judita asked, because it certainly didn’t feel that way.

“A girl gets brought in after having a building fall on her, unconscious, with a crushed body and a grim prognosis at that time” Brandt said, “She makes a full recovery and goes on to make something of herself like you have. I would say that is a miracle.”

“According to your friend who just left I wouldn’t say that the recovery was full” Judita said.

Brandt just shrugged. “He’s an Emergency Surgeon” He said, “The best sort of person to have on hand if you were bleeding out, but not the best person if you are sick and needed convincing to take better care of yourself.”

Judita looked at Brandt quizzically. “What are you doing here?”

“I pay attention to who gets admitted down here” Brandt said, “Those from Gräfin von Mischner’s inner circle are always fascinating.”

“You cannot be serious” Judita said.

“Serious as a heart attack” Brandt said, “Now are you interested in learning how to control your condition or are you planning to have another seizure in a market. Which happens to be what landed you here today.”

“You know about that?” Judita asked, mortified that might be common knowledge.

“Doctors do talk to each other” Brandt said, “Particularly when they are dealing with a stubborn patient who they are happy to pass to on someone else.”

6th June 1954

Potsdam

“According to intelligence sources, we are continuing to find evidence of Russian armor being deployed in Greece” Kat said as she summarized what she had just read aloud.

“We’ve known all along that Russia would reemerge on the world stage” Kira said, “I just hoped that Georgy would wait a bit longer before jumping in with both feet.”

It was something that was inescapable, the way that the current structure of the Russian Government was very different from other nations that it might have been based on. It had been hoped years earlier that elected bodies would maintain greater control than they had. While the Czar wasn’t able to be an autocrat by any stretch of the imagination, Georgy had convinced the bulk of the Russian public that he shared their struggles and represented their interests against the rest of the world. That had unfortunately included their own elected Government at times. The result was that Georgy had more power over Russia than any other monarch in Europe had over their nation. Kat’s hope was that the Reichstag was paying attention to that and would respond accordingly in the future.

“We have been talking for a long time about the need to reach out diplomatically to your cousin” Kat said.

“You have been talking about that” Kira replied, “And I have been giving you my reasons for taking a different course of action.”

“Very well” Kat said, “We will still need to do something, if the Greeks get greedy then we are unsure of the consequences.”

Kira became stone faced. She understood the implications, but at the same time there was a part of her that had taken sides in this matter.

“I learned that one of the eyes was in the hospital yesterday” Kira said. Changing the subject to something that Kat couldn’t easily dismiss.

“Judita suffered a seizure in the market yesterday morning” Kat said, “She has had her problems, this just adds to it.”

All the girls were having issues. Judita getting sick had come on the heels of Kris discovering that she had low bone density. Then of all the Doctors who could get through to Judita it had to be Brandt. He had gotten Judita to agree to cooperate with treatment and then suggested a few things that were questionable.

Last edited:
I'm really curious of what is going to come of Johnny. If he is going to higher up in the CIA chain or if he is going for something completely different.

I'm also wondering what the Russians are up to. Or more specifically where they are going to want to exert their influence. The Black Sea is evident of course with this support for the Greeks. And I doubt Eastern Europe is going to be too keen on (re)new(ed) Russian influence. So maybe some grandstanding in the Afghanistan area?

Also I've got a question for you PBM, have you written chapters ahead? Or are you writing new chapters each day?

And as always looking forward to more!

FBKampfer

Banned
I doubt Russia could ever be the lion it once was in Eastern Europe. Especially with abundant cast off German equipment that is still largely compatible with any upgrades they come up with.

Specifically if it can mount an 88mm L/71, it's turret ring is large enough to mount a 105mm. That means HEAT and APDS that can wallop a T-54 at standoff ranges.

Additionally there was once side mention of German tank destroyers mounting 128mm's. Load them up with a quality APFSDS round and even an M1 Abrams would know it got hit.

I'm really curious of what is going to come of Johnny. If he is going to higher up in the CIA chain or if he is going for something completely different.

I'm also wondering what the Russians are up to. Or more specifically where they are going to want to exert their influence. The Black Sea is evident of course with this support for the Greeks. And I doubt Eastern Europe is going to be too keen on (re)new(ed) Russian influence. So maybe some grandstanding in the Afghanistan area?

Also I've got a question for you PBM, have you written chapters ahead? Or are you writing new chapters each day?

And as always looking forward to more!
From the looks, Gregory likely aims initially to restore the bonds with the rest of the Slavic-Orthodox sphere of nations in Central Europe and later the Caucasus region. Moreover, he also aims to restore the economy of Russia....and that can be done in a very simple, if slightly amoral but Pragmatic way.

Namely by Selling War Material.

Others would point that Gregory would aim to restore the "Great Russia". Gregory its NOT Dumb....regardless of the dreams of a few, the simple truth that he and many others grasp its what that train left the station long ago, courtesy of Stalin and the Soviets. Poland HATES the Russians.....and the Ukranians pretty much loath anything Russian with a passion beyond belief after the Holodomor.

Moreover there its the Warsaw Pact, the initially Military, but now also Economic and Diplomatic alliance of Germany with several of the Central and East Europe nations, and that to this point has started to be a symbiotic relationship that has boosted the economies of the members. In the second that Russia tried even remotely to push the current boundaries, they would have to deal with Germany AND the rest of Central and part of East Europe ready to kick them in the teeth.

Gregory knows that.....but he needs Money, and needs PLENTY of it to further propel the economy of the Russians. And the simple fact its that out there , there are MANY countries what have money, but not as much to pay the very high quality but undeniably expensive German stuff. Russian War Material while not as expensive. its proven, reliable as heck, and any defects have been now purged as the engineers now can work without fearing Gulag or a visit of the NKVD followed by an execution and are getting paid DECENTLY or with bonus by selling.

For the Russians, the Greek/Turkish Conflict has just become a wonderful exhibition for several countries of the quality of the current War Material that the Russians can provide at a fraction of the German cost.....and from there......there are the Middle East Countries, with quite the money and desire to wipe the nascent Israeli mess or, in the case of the Gulf, to defeat the Shiia/Sunni Country opposing them, and Russia unlike the British, WILL sell them the required material to stand against the "Infidels"

And.....WHO can forget the mess of India AND Pakistan......

So....Russia will get their money to rebuild completely the country....and make the Germans curse Gregory to the nine hells for the damn headaches.....

Sounds like the germans are willing to start sponsoring the turks, if the greeks will get to close with the russians.
Not worth it.

The Germans are more likely to in subtle terms remind them that a "victory" past certain point its more likely to close a LOT of doors in markets and credit institutions in Europe, and to attempt to push the boundaries , knowing the existing treaties , its liable to end strangling the Greek arks. In blunt terms a conflict in the Bosfor its liable to potentially magnify if not controlled ASAP, and for the Germans, War its BAD for most business, as simple as that.

The Turks in this case DID deserve to get the beatdown as they pushed the situation, and moreover they were the idiots who had the bright idea to buy AMERICAN crap. They are more liable now to stabilize things then go to the League and deescalate, the Germans, French and British managing an accord that would placate the Greek and make the Turks frown but accept.

The Americans are liable to be absent of the negotiations, as in a sense this was pretty much a clusterfuck for the American Military Industries's reputation, while the Germans and Russians's reputation as reliable producers of War material was clearly shown. The Russians are likely to "invite" the rest of the Orthodox gang of countries to act in solidarity to Greece, and ensure that the accords are as most benefical for the Greeks as possible

Less than a century ago ITTL, a large swath of South Eastern Europe was either a vassal or an Ottoman territory. The same can be said about nearly every surrounding area not inhabited by ethnic Turks. The best they (the Turks) can hope right now is not having the others joining in.

The tanks that Turkey bought from the United States is this timeline's version of the M4 Sherman and is at least ten years old.
IOTL the American government sold after the war Shermans for $1.00 apiece, not a typo $1.00 a piece to other countries just to get them off their hands.
Turkey most likely bought them because the United States was the only one to sell them anything at a price they could afford and the tanks are probably surplus to the needs of the American army.
As I think about it Greece joined the war ITTL on the side of Germany as an insurance policy against Turkey from taking advantage of the war and let Germany use air bases for a price, let German and Allied ships go from the Mediterranean to the Black Sea for a price.
Greece probably did not send any significant numbers of combat units to the front and made a lot of money in providing agricultural goods to the rest of Europe.
Greece by now is probably the working man's Rivera with affordable vacations on the Black Sea coast and is taking a lot foreign currency from them.

Part 73, Chapter 1069
Chapter One Thousand Sixty-Nine

8th June 1954

Berlin

“According to the police in Stockholm Jarl Gunnarsson never left his neighborhood” Anton Knoph said.

“I was talking to him last week” Kat said, “In Tempelhof.”

“I believe you” Anton replied, “But unless you have more than that, it isn’t enough to go on.”

Kat was clearly exasperated by the situation. That meant that someone’s palm was getting greased. Or worse someone official was turning a blind eye to the actions of Gunnarsson because he served a purpose like Otto Mischner had.

“Look” Anton said, “You knew when you worked to take out your father and as much of the organization as you could that eventually someone else would replace him.”

“That doesn’t mean that I have to be happy about it” Kat replied.

“I wouldn’t expect you to” Anton said, “I do however hope that you would be realistic enough to know that some things can never truly be eliminated, only controlled.”

Kat didn’t answer, instead she focused on the cup of tea in front of her, the surface of the table they were sitting at, the other tables and chairs in the eatery that she had met Anton in.

“Agnesa told me to extend an invitation to you and Douglas” Anton said, “If you think that he might be interested in a dinner with adult conversation.”

“I’ll talk to Doug” Kat replied, “It will also depend on when I’ll be free. In my current position I’m sort of at the mercy of the Emperor’s schedule.”

“The difficulties of being the Captain of the Guard?” Anton asked.

“You joke” Kat said, “But if the Oberst follows through on his threat to retire the entire First Foot will become my problem.”

“Such a hardship” Anton said, “Being a pioneer in a career that you have excelled in.”

“Tell that to the Generalmajor who commands the Brigade” Kat said, “Hating me seems to be the only thing that he is passionate about.”

“Semper talis” Anton said with a slight smirk.

The moto of the First Foot; Always the same.

Kat didn’t find what Anton was implying remotely amusing in this context.

Greco-Albanian Frontier

Once the frontier in the south had stabilized Fotios had found himself on a transport plane headed north to where the Greek Army and Marines were massing. When the war had started Greece had been hit in the north by an invasion from Albania as well as in the south in what was now seen as a coordinated attack, the sort of thing that couldn’t be allowed to happen without retaliation. At the same time Greece was loath to counter attack too far into Turkish held territory because the last thing they needed was to occupy the land and have thousands of potential enemies at their backs that would need to be taken care of. Nether feeding or starving them was something that the Greek State wanted to expend the time or resources on.

Albania was a different story, portions of the country were historically Greek and Fotios’ Squad was among those who had been tasked with securing those. Any Albanians still present had best be prepared to run because they were not in the mood to be merciful today. Still, whatever they did would be very tame compared to what was happening to their cousins in Serbia and Bosnia. Fotios would be content to push the Albanians out of Northern Epirus. It was justice as far as he was concerned payment for being stupid enough to ally themselves with the Turks.

Potsdam

“You will one day be an exotic beauty like your dear Aunty Sasha” Voll said as he stood looked at Anya in the mirror. “But always remember that it has far more to do with attitude than anything else Anya love.”

Voll had brought Zika Jankovic for this visit. Zika was a hairdresser who was just here to trim the ends as Anya grew her hair out. It was probably a waste Zika’s talents but Voll had said that for a girl with Anya’s experience it was about trust and knowing that nothing bad would come from this. In Pskov they had quite literally held Anya down and sheared her like a sheep every few months. Gia also knew that Anya liked being the center of attention and how Voll and Zika seemed to hang on every word. They were both professionals and that was exactly what they did.

If you only knew child, Gia thought to herself.

To Anya, Klaus Voll was merely silly. As she got older she would recognize the flamboyant behavior for what it was, but for now he was one of the few adults willing to listen intently. It was Gia’s hope that eventually experiences like this one would break through the rather extensive religious indoctrination that Anya had been subjected to. There were also things in Gia’s past that would be somewhat difficult to explain.

Kat had impressed on Gia the need to always be honest with Anya, that children know when you are lying, even by omission. Still, how would she explain that out of loneliness and the need for any physical connection she had found herself in love with her best friend? Asia was nonchalant about what had happened. There’s a reason why all the stereotypes about girl’s schools exist, was how Asia had put it. Gia remembered how painful the breakup had been when they had concluded that they would only be able to be friends because of who Gia was on the flight back from Canada. How did one explain to a girl like Anya that in her life Gia had found herself equally attracted to men and women?

“What do you think Sasha?” Anya asked.

“I think it looks much better” Gia answered, “You were getting all shaggy.”

Anya laughed at that, it was a wonderful thing to hear.

Last edited:
Part 73, Chapter 1070
Chapter One Thousand Seventy

15th June 1954

Berlin

“My whole life was a mistake” Ilse stated, “There is no other way to describe it. My mother was an addict and my father had money, that is how deep their relationship went. They had me by mistake and everything since has reflected that.”

Otto Mischner had also controlled the supply of drugs coming into Berlin, but Ilse doubted that Ingrid had known that.

“Your father made a point of telling you that your mother loved her addictions, particularly to heroin, more than she loved you” Doctor Glas said, “But on some level she must have wanted you to be safe.”

Ilse knew better. Otto had been cruder than that. “Dear old Mum, who loved the needle far more than her little girl” Had been his exact words the one time that Ilse had talked to him. He had made very clear that if Ilse had stayed with her mother she would have eventually been sold into something unimaginable just so that her mother could score a fix. Not that it made the sense of abandonment any easier.

“I doubt that” Ilse said, “She left me on the steps of a church where a Priest had once been kind to her. Considering some of the things that we now know about the Catholic Church I seriously have to wonder exactly what that was.”

That is being very cynical” Doctor Glas said, “Even for you.”

“Am I wrong?” Ilse said, “Something that my older sister said once, that there were no virgins under her roof, though that probably changed when Anne moved in. I don’t see what that has to do with anything.”

“Actually, it has a great deal to do with a great many things” Doctor Glas said, “There are several aspects of your past that you have been dancing around for months, afraid to mention.”

That was not the reaction that Ilse had been expecting. Minka Glas was taking all of this so seriously and that had not been her intention at all. It wasn’t something that Ilse was remotely prepared to deal with. They sat there staring at each other for an excruciatingly long minute in silence.

“Are you afraid that your boyfriend will find out about your past?” Doctor Glas asked, “That his parents. Which includes the fear that his father, who has become a father figure to you as well, will reject you for it?”

“I never said that anything like that” Ilse snapped.

“You haven’t said that directly, but you have to know how your words and actions can be interpreted?” Doctor Glas asked, “I’ve seen how you engage in denial by pretending that the awful things that surrounded your childhood never actually touched you. You forget that you aren’t the only one from that orphanage that I talk to. In my notes there are a several references to what really happened to you from different people.”

It felt like Ilse’s head was filled with static, which was what happened when had to deal with a relentless attack like this.

“Why are you doing this!” Ilse yelled at Doctor Glas out of hurt and confusion. “Are you are just being cruel for the fun of it?”

“Because you have been coming in here for two years and while you have made progress in many areas there are other things that you are not talking about” Glas said, “You either trust me by now or you do not but talking around the traumatic events that negatively affect your entire life doesn’t help you. It means that I can’t help you, no matter how much I want to.”

Washington DC

The Ambassador to the LN was just a font of bad news. Truman now realized too late that he had helped to inadvertently set into motion forces that he hadn’t properly understood. The Turks had been shoved back across the border in Asia Minor and the CIA was sending back reports that the Greeks were armed with rifles built locally from a pattern they had licensed from Russia and that a handful of Russian built tanks had been spotted at the front. The reemergence of Russia onto the International Stage had not been Truman’s intention. Nor had he thought that the Greeks would invade southern Albania, Truman had thought that that they would be too busy with the Turks and then there was what was happening in Bosnia and Serbia where it had become a war of mutual extermination as hatreds across ethnic lines dating back centuries spilled out into the open.

The most troublesome part for Truman was that he feared that he was looking at things to come closer to home. The situation in North Carolina had solved itself. However, in its wake there were harsh accusations that the strike was the result of outside agitators. Truman recognized it for the dangerous dog whistle that the factory owners and local politicians were blowing instantly, just there wasn’t a whole lot he could do about that without exceeding the authority of his Office. He considered himself fortunate that the North Carolina situation was along class lines. Next time though, he feared that it would fall along racial lines. Lyndon Johnson had joked about what happened if the lowest white man could be convinced that he was better than the best colored man. Truman could see the truth behind that joke. At any second, the US Supreme Court was going to issue a ruling that revolved around the constitutionality of separate accommodation. Contrary to what some people believed, sometimes you can hear the train before it hits you.

Last edited:
"Separate accomodation"? Is that another word for segregation?

Ilse is in many ways going to the process Kat went through earlier. She obviously has supressed some things very deeply.

I like the last update and the trouble ahead it spells for the USA. IOTL, the war(s) brought the races together, and that fueled civil reform. ITTL, the USA sees the reforms, progress and wealth abroad and should want the same, but the old power structures have not learned their lesson. Yes, the train will hit hard. And it wasnt like it was a walkover IOTL.