Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 88, Chapter 1372
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Seventy-Two

22nd April 1960

Rural Chagang Province, Korea

Supposedly, the monsoon rains were not supposed arrive for at least another month. No one told the weather however, because it wasn’t cooperating.

There had to better uses of their time. Digging a hole in pouring down rain wasn’t Karl’s idea of using it wisely. The real rub was that he couldn’t think of what he would rather be doing and there was simply nowhere else to go. The hilltop fortification was surrounded by concertina wire and there were liberal amounts of landmines planted in the approaches. The Heer had a great deal of experience in the sort of battle that they might be expected to fight if the diplomats screwed up and had passed that information along to the Marine infantry. Barbed wire, machine guns and mortars were dug into the hilltop in sandbag emplacements. Far below them, they could see the Yalu river flowing by.

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say that this hole is sinking” Karl said as he looked at the rainwater that was gathering in the bottom of the foxhole.

“What would Opa say to do?” Erik asked.

“He would say that we are being lazy and that his generation dug a trench all the way to the North Sea” Karl replied, “Then he’d chuck a beer can at your head for asking a stupid question.”

It was a shared experience that Karl and Erik had. All the children who had grown up in the household of Opa and Oma Schultz tended to learn to duck at a very early age.

“He couldn’t get out of the trenches fast enough himself” Erik said with a knowing smirk. It was a family legend that Opa Schultz had gotten himself transferred to the Air Service after memorizing a few technical manuals and convincing the Commanding Officer of a nearby Aerodrome that he had been a mechanic before the war. He had then spent a few stressful weeks faking it until he had mastered engine maintenance. When the alternative was to die in one of the thousands of ways that existed in the trenches. It tended to focus the mind.

Karl had however learned the truth. The story that Opa told them was good, but it was just that, a story. At the time that Opa Schultz had joined the Air Service, what was now considered the proto Luftwaffe, he had the only real requirement that an Airman needed. A pulse. Over that same time period the survival time for the typical Aircrew was measured in hours. It was from there though that Opa had made various connections, like with Graf von Richthofen and had learned a great deal about how things really worked in the world.

“At least you don’t have to lug that ghost carbine around anymore” Erik said.

That was true, but Karl didn’t necessarily think that was a good thing. The Hauptman had taken back the carbine and Karl was given a regular G44 in its place because there was concern that the humid air would damage the Vampire system. It was here at the firebase where the Sgk-46K could do the most good if anyone tried to infiltrate during the night because the problems with the power source would be reduced. Locked away in the Command Bunker, it was worthless.

Langeoog Island

“That she feels so safe with us is a good thing” Doug had said when Kat had discussed Jo with him the day after they had gotten here from Denmark. This was because Jo had used playing with Tatiana, Malcolm and Marie here on the island to escape having to deal with the pressures of her life. Kat was worried that she had regressed to the easy answers and comforts of childhood. Douglas had a different perspective, he thought that it was a good thing that Jo knew that her adopted family would be a place of safety while she processed things.

Presently Kat was sitting in the common room of her house with a glass of wine listening to the children just upstairs. The twins had memorized the book of fairy tales that Doug and Kat had read to them from infancy from front to back years earlier. Jo knew them as well and Kat could hear them embellishing the themes as Doug tried to read to Marie. After a while, Doug gave up trying to read the story straight and joined the older children in riffing on the story. It was all to Marie’s delight as they were laughing at the funny voices that they were using for the characters in the story. Though Kat wondered how Robin Hood, Siegfried, Louis Cyr and the villainous Bonhomme Sept-Heures found their way into the story of Princess and the Pea. It was nice to hear them laughing. Hopefully this wouldn’t result in Marie asking Kiki if she could really feel a pea through twenty mattresses, Tatiana had already done that once a few years earlier.

Kat’s thoughts were interrupted by Fleur, the little dog who was the constant companion of her children jumping onto her lap. “I’m surprised that you aren’t up there with them” Kat said to Fleur who didn’t respond, resting her head on Kat’s knee instead.

That woman in Poland a few days earlier who had called Kat the Emperor’s terrier had meant it as an insult, clearly implying that she was some sort of lapdog. Clearly, she didn’t understand the likes of Rat Terrier mix such as Fleur. There were certain qualities such as courage and loyalty that Fleur had in abundance. More to the point however, Kat had seen what Fleur would do if she got the jump on a rat or mouse.

Last edited:
The hilltop fortification was surrounded by concertina wire and there were liberal amounts of landmines planted in the approaches. The Heer had a great deal of experience in the sort of battle that they might be expected to fight if the diplomats screwed up and had passed that information along to the Marine infantry. Barbed wire, machine guns and mortars were dug into the hilltop in sandbag emplacements. Far below them, they could see the Yalu river flowing by.

If they are on the border, that screams "Artillery target" to me

I think they are on the military crest, and artillery worked so well against ww1 trenches after all...

The Heer had always prefered digging in on the high points.

The tactical situation reminds me of the time when the Third Seebaitallion Infantry Division was in Vietnam and had to face an IJA Army group that used Human Wave attacks against the Germans.
Later on when Tilo had to do some reserve training, von Horst sent him to a Landswehr unit that was practicing those same tactics.
So with that in mind the Chinese on a limited front may use heavy artillery followed by a human wave attack to smash the frontlines then send armour and other mechanized units to exploit the breech into the rear areas.

So with that in mind the Chinese on a limited front may use heavy artillery followed by a human wave attack to smash the frontlines then send armour and other mechanized units to exploit the breech into the rear areas.

These were certainly the tactics of the PLA during the OTL Korean war, however that was based on second hand Soviet doctrine. Would the KMT use the same tactics, (have they taken on former Soviet soldiers and NCOs?), or would they use more "modern" techniques that say the British or the French would use? Even WWI German Stormtrooper tactics?

With a limited frontline there is no room to maneuver unlike the steppes of the European War, a frontal attack may be the only option,
China's army may be a mix of highly mechanized units along with light infantry units and with no apparent shortages of manpower a massed frontal attack to overwhelm the defenders may make the most sense.
China's goal is not to conquer Korea but to show that it is the dominate power in the region which is why Japan and Vietnam are sending units to Korea, because if China is successful this time they may be next.

As I was re-reading this timeline I was wondering what happened to Dr. Ambrose and Nurse Pratt from Asia and the Snake Pit, when we last saw them they were taken to Russia after Gia and Spetsnaz rescued Asia to be tried by Russia.
My own B.S. theory is not only they were not thrown in to some hell hole in Siberia, but Dr. Ambrose and Nurse Pratt are working for the Russian Secret Police teaching and training others on how to perform lobotomies and Dr. Ambrose is experimenting to his heart content on an unlimited supply of patients without needing the legalities that held back his.work in the United States.

As I was re-reading this timeline I was wondering what happened to Dr. Ambrose and Nurse Pratt from Asia and the Snake Pit, when we last saw them they were taken to Russia after Gia and Spetsnaz rescued Asia to be tried by Russia.
My own B.S. theory is not only they were not thrown in to some hell hole in Siberia, but Dr. Ambrose and Nurse Pratt are working for the Russian Secret Police teaching and training others on how to perform lobotomies and Dr. Ambrose is experimenting to his heart content on an unlimited supply of patients without needing the legalities that held back his.work in the United States.

Oh, my Deity! What an awful and thoroughly evil concept. If Gia ever found out she'd perform a double orchidectomy on Georgy with a pair of pliers. And perform lobotomies on the two with hollow point bullets.

Unfortunately, it think that it's entirely plausible.

Part 88, Chapter 137
Chapter One thousand Three Hundred Seventy-Three

2nd May 1960

Langeoog Island

The elderly couple who had been walking up the beach said that she had such lovely red hair and freckles. This had interrupted Marie who had been putting seashells into the basket she was carrying. They had then laughed at Fleur who was growling at them. They said that Fleur would bite their ankles off. Marie understandably didn’t find that funny. Momma said that Fleur was protecting her when she did that.

Marie also knew that Momma had the same hair as she did while Tat and Kol had not been nearly as lucky. They had dark brown hair like Poppa. Jo was blonde, and her hair so light in color that it was almost white. When Kiki had arrived that afternoon, Marie had noticed that her hair was dark like Tat and Kol’s but had loose curls. something that Momma had advised Marie to never talk to Kiki about unless she liked to hear a lot of complaining. That was when Marie had asked Momma what she meant by complaining and got told to go play outside. Her Oma, who Poppa said was actually her Great Aunt, said that Momma had looked a lot like Marie had when she was a little girl. Oma always that that wistful look that grown-ups got when they were thinking about things they remembered fondly when she talked about Mamma when she was little.

Humming to herself, Marie had gone back to gathering seashells on the tideline when she felt a drop of rain hit her nose. It was a bit disappointing. Along the walkway in front of the house there were hundreds of seashells that had been gathered by her older brother and sister for ages. Marie wanted to add to that, but Momma would get cross with her if she stayed out in the rain again. After wiping the raindrop off her nose with the sleeve of her coat, Marie ran for the shelter of the house as the rain increased, Fleur running ahead of her.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“I can’t believe that she is four already” Kiki said as Marie came running in from the beach as it started to rain.

“Time flies” Kat said as she noticed that her youngest daughter was carrying a basket of seashells. Hopefully she would leave them on the porch as opposed to dragging them into the house and covering the kitchen table with sand like she had the day before when she had wanted to look at them. Kat hated to scold Marie. As with all of her children it seemed like it went in one ear and out the other. It also made her feel ineffective as a parent. The seashells were for front and back of the garden of the house. Along the front walkway were seashells and driftwood that the children had gathered. Marie was determined to add to it. Kat understood why she was doing it. With Tatiana and Malcolm being five years older than she was it was, it seemed like everything she did was on ground that was well trodden by them. It must get lonely at times.

Kat and Kiki had been closely watching Marie on the beach and it was a bit of a relief that she was coming in. Marie was sensible for a girl her age, but that wasn’t a high bar to get over. Kat worried that she would put herself at risk. At the same time, she was aware that at Marie’s age independence was something that she needed to encourage. Tatiana and Malcolm had survived early childhood and somehow seemed well adjusted, so Kat and Douglas must be doing something right.

“She looks adorable” Kiki said, “Though those clothes do look like some something that you would wear.”

“Doug said the same thing” Kat replied. The forest green coat and mauve dress that Marie was wearing did suggest that she dressed her youngest daughter as she would dress herself. How many times had Aunt Marcella suggested that green was the best color on Kat and helped her by buying clothes that fit with it for formal occasions? Often enough for the Press to dub her as the Emerald of Berlin when she had been younger. The coat was certainly in keeping with that. The mauve dress, that was because Marie herself had liked it and any time that going clothes shopping with the children didn’t become a nightmare Kat was more than happy to roll with it.

“When I was her age, I could only dream of a trip to the seaside” Kiki said, “She’s very lucky.”

Kiki would have been Marie’s age just as the Second World War was reaching its conclusion. The austerity that her father had engaged in out of solidarity with the people who were giving their all in the war effort would have made traveling to the seaside unfeasible. Kat remembered that when Kiki had been little, she had thought that she had lived on a farm because of the dairy cows that had been grazing on the grounds of the Summer Residence in Potsdam. Those had been strange times.

“Have you told the children about your plans for the Summer Holiday yet?” Kiki asked and Kat had to do her best not to look annoyed.

“No and I’m not going to for some time” Kat replied.

“Why not?” Kiki asked.

“If you ever have children of your own Kiki, you’ll learn that giving them time to make everything a battle is always a mistake” Kat said, “Just telling them that this is how its going to be is something that you have to do as parent.”

“That seems a bit harsh” Kiki said, “I would think that they would look forward to seeing their grandparents and cousins that they have never met.”

“They are also looking forward to spending time with their friends on this side of the Atlantic” Kat said, “See the problem?”

“Er… Yes…” Kiki said.

It was something that Kat wasn’t exactly looking forward to either. Spending a few weeks under the same roof as Margot Blackwood, listening to her imply things about Kat’s reputation and past was probably the last thing she wanted to do with her holiday. At the same time, Louis had asked Kat to open some back channels with the Canadian Government to go along with the ones that she had going with England. Sir Malcolm Blackwood, her Father-in-Law, was high up in the Canadian Ministry of Defense, so he was perfectly placed to make the introductions for Kat. The family vacation was just cover for that activity. Charlotte’s comment about Kat being forced to be a diplomat was coming true, much to her annoyance.

I have always wondered why Marcella and Klaus has never received any official recognition for taking in Jehane after the Tumbler Ridge Massacre?
After the publication of Kat's biography by Gloria, the roll that Marcella played in raising Hans and Kat is going to be a prominent part of the story and later on taking in Gia with no questions asked but still knowing that the potential for danger exists makes her a roll model for foster parents.

I have always wondered why Marcella and Klaus has never received any official recognition for taking in Jehane after the Tumbler Ridge Massacre?

I can think of two possible reasons:

1: Someone is afraid that Soviet sympathizers might kill them

2. They don't want recognition.

Part 88, Chapter 1374
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Seventy-Four

11th May 1960

Fort Drum, New York

“Parker has decided that he wants to move on to bigger and better things. Now I don’t think that I need say that we applaud our people doing things like that” Jonny said sardonically, “Hopefully he will be out of our hair long enough for you lot to forget who he is when you have to salute that worthless blue-blood little twerp the next to any of us see him.”

Everyone laughed at that bit of irreverent humor. The Brass had to know that Jonny made jokes like that along with a whole lot of other things that he did that skirted the rules. So long as he remained effective in the role that he played that would remain true, which judging by the state of the world, Jonny would have long since retired before that day ever came.

“In other news” Jonny said with mock solemnity, “Runt, our wayward gunner, has safely returned to us after three weeks leave without getting the snot kicked out him by the Los Angeles Police Department or shot while trying to escape by said police.”

That was met with genuine applause.

Upon returning from Los Angeles, Ritchie had found that Parker was gone, and he had been replaced by Staff Sergeant Niles Cooper as the new Assistant Squad Leader. Jonny knew him from the 10th Mountain Division and Mexico which was why he had requested him from a different Company in the 1st SFG when the slot had opened up.

“Finally, the powers that be want us preparing for an upcoming mission I’ve been told is considered important at the very highest levels” Jonny said, “You’ll learn more when I do, so until then we need to be prepared for anything they throw at us.”

That resulted in a chorus of groans. It sounded like a nightmarish amount of work, and Jonny would be right there the entire time making them do every bit of it.

Tempelhof, Berlin

Returning to University after being gone for the Easter Holiday, Kiki had found herself in whirlwind of activity. The meeting with Major Armbruster had not been what she had been expecting. The Major who was the Commandant of the University War Academy was overjoyed that a student of Kiki’s caliber had applied to his department. He had gone over her grades, academic achievements and extracurricular activities. He did however sight some of the glaring deficiencies that had come up when she had been in the Stettin Training Depot a year earlier as things that she would need to continue to work on. To Kiki’s astonishment, in the entire interview the subject of her parentage had never come up. She had been judged entirely on her merit as Kristina Fischer alone and had passed with flying colors. The Major said that he looked forward to her attending his class when she returned in the autumn.

The feeling that had come from that was quickly dashed. The lecture that she had gone to just minutes later had been like a bucket of ice water over her head. As she had entered the lecture hall for her next class of the day.

Your duties as Medic.

Attendance mandatory for students who have volunteered for Field Service at the end of the term.

As soon as Kiki saw those words her heart sank. It was a lecture that they had been subjected to at least once every term. It was a stark reminder of what they had all volunteered for. Today, the guest lecturer was an experienced combat medic who wore the uniform a Stabsfeldwebel in the Heer. To earn such a rank in the capacity of a Medic was rare outside the Medical Service itself.

“Everyone take a sheet and pass it back to the person behind you” The lecturer said, as printouts were passed back through the tiered seating. “There are two columns on the page, on the right is a list of nations that are signatories of the Geneva Accords, on the left are the nations that are not.”

Kiki looked at the sheet of paper and the long columns on each side.

“If you go into the field there is a good chance that you might find yourself in contact with soldiers of a nation that is not a signatory nation” The lecturer said, “I would be remiss if I neglected to tell you of the implications of that. During the Soviet War the Soviet Union was not a signatory nation and there were times when medical personnel were targeted deliberately. Russian Snipers were a particular threat with Field Medics being targeted after Officers and Gunners. It was also done because it was understood what reaction killing a Medic would have on unit morale. Today, we will discuss the realities of what life in the field are like. How to conduct yourself within military units and the best ways to react to potentially dangerous situations. I know that most of you have already completed basic training and this will be a refresher course, but some things cannot be emphasized enough.”

The guest lecturer paused for a moment.

“According the High Command you are legally considered combatants, you have the right to carry weapons to protect yourself and a duty to defend your patients” The Lecturer said, “We will discuss at length the implications of that.”

Kiki’s mouth went dry when she heard that. It was something that she had heard before, but that was no longer a mere abstract thought. In the near future it could be her reality.

Last edited:

ferdi254

Banned
One small snippet here again: The German university system is vastly different from the USA. In Germany hardly anybody would look at extracurricular activities. It is how you pass your exam and that was even more pronounced at the 60s.

One small snippet here again: The German university system is vastly different from the USA. In Germany hardly anybody would look at extracurricular activities. It is how you pass your exam and that was even more pronounced at the 60s.

You are half correct. She is putting her best case forward by stating that she has been working in various hospitals for four years while pursuing a Commission in the Joint Medical Service. That happens to be very relevant, and what is the word used for additional activities that are done to further studies but are done in addition to formal academics?

"Upon returning from Los Angeles, Ritchie had found that Parker was gone, and he had been replaced by Staff Sergeant Niles Cooper as the new Assistant Squad Leader. Jonny knew him from the 10th Mountain Division and Mexico which was why he had requested him from a different Company in the 1st SFG when the slot had opened up."

A Staff Sergeant is WAY too superior in rank to be a mere Assistant Squad Leader - That's a job for an E-3 [E-3 = lance corporal (USMC)/PFC (US Army)] or corporal (E-4), not a Staff Sergeant (E-6). Staff Sergeants are usually the senior enlisted men & women of a platoon and are too 'valuable' to be utilized where they're overqualified!