Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 70, Chapter 1025
Chapter One Thousand Twenty-Five

26th July 1953

Berlin

“Thirteen hours in the air with a puppy on an airplane” Doug said, “One more good story, and this is one you can talk about afterwards.”

“Yes” Kat replied. When she had gotten home the night before all she had wanted to do was sleep. Now, she had been pleasantly surprised to find that she had nowhere pressing to be today.

She had been telling Doug about what she had been doing in Japan while they had been laying in. “Not the entire story though, not yet, and I could have lived without what happened when the plane landed.”

The story had leaked to the Press, so Kat had found herself at Tempelhof dodging reporters and photographers. Then had come taking Aki to Potsdam to introduce him to Freddy when she was asleep on her feet. The Japanese Ambassador had been present for that along with more Press. Aki had not wanted to leave Kat having become attached to her on the flight, but he didn’t seem to mind finding himself the center of attention among the Royal children. Now, that whole ordeal was over.

“Anything that you want to do today?” Doug asked.

“I want to get Fritz Schafer’s opinion of this” Kat said as she picked up a box from the nightstand. Opening it she pulled out a fan that she snapped open.

“Is that a joke?” Doug asked.

“Hardly” Kat replied as she closed it and handed it to him.

“You could use this as a club in a pinch” Doug said, “Heavy enough.”

“That is sort of the idea” Kat said, “I met a woman in Japan who plays a similar role to me, and this is her weapon of choice.”

“It is both elegant and clever” Doug said, “Naturally, it wasn’t you who came up with it.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Kat asked.

“Most of the time you go for spectacular over subtle.”

“I can do subtle” Kat said, “There have been plenty of times when Kira asked me to do something that didn’t result in a fight or explosion.”

“No one remembers that” Doug said, “What they remember is that when you come to town the fire department goes on high alert and there are twice as many police patrolling the streets.”

Kat was about to say something in reply when they heard yelling downstairs, a crash, then the sound of a small child screaming in displeasure but not in pain. Just the fact that she knew the difference… “Perhaps we can just stay in here all day with the door locked” Kat said.

Doug laughed at that as he swung his legs off the bed and sat up. “We have another three years until Tat and Kol start Kindergarten, we’re sort of obligated to be full time parents until then” He said.

“I know” Kat said, “But your children are awful.”

“Who do you think they get it from?” Doug asked.

Kat just groaned and rolled onto her side facing away from him. It was clear that the Lady of the house wasn’t thrilled with the idea of motherhood today.

“You’ll have to at least have make an appearance or two so that the twins remember what their mother looks like” Doug said as she burrowed deeper under the covers and he quickly dressed. He would leave the door unlocked. Eventually one of the twins, usually Tatiana, would climb onto the bed and join her. That would draw her out into the world of the living.

27th July 1953

Santa Rosa, California

This was a nightmare, Jonny thought to himself.

“Do you have anything to say for yourself Mr. Casey?” The Judge asked.

“No, your Honor” Jonny said through gritted teeth.

“You were clocked going twice the legal speed limit on a county road while in an intoxicated state at which point you resisted arrest” The Judge said, “Do you understand the gravity of your situation?”

“Yes, your Honor” Jonny said.

Jonny had more than enough time to think about his situation. He had been stopped on Friday night and had been stuck in the County Jail until the Judge arrived for the arraignment on Monday morning. On Sunday he had finally been forced to make a phone call that he didn’t want to make.

“My Client is aware of situation and while showing poor judgement on the night in question, he has ably served his country to the best of his abilities” The Lawyer in the grey suit who had come up from San Francisco said. When Jonny had made the call, the voice on the other end had said that his situation would go away but he needed to let the process work itself out. When the lawyer had shown up, he’d said that the whole thing was already in the bag. They just needed to make it so that Judge could get his two cents in and that he didn’t have the impression that Jonny was getting off scot-free

“Do you think that Mr. Casey is the first young man who I have seen in my Courtroom like this?” The Judge asked.

“No, your Honor” The Lawyer said, “Just as I’m sure you know, we’ve got a deal worked out with the District Attorney.”

“And I do not like the details of that deal” The Judge said.

The deal was that Jonny be released with the charges dropped provided that he went back to the Army. Though he suspected that the Army was not his destination.

Last edited:
Let's see what Jonny has shown us so far.
He has the ability to pick up foreign languages fairly easy and in a short time.
He is someone who can makes friends wherever he goes and in any situation.
He has proven himself in combat and will take risks but not foolish ones.
He has great physical endurance and can adapt himself to whatever climate he is in.
While under educated, he is none the less highly intelligent even through he doesn't know it yet.
He can be taught and trained without questioning the need for it.
Except for this last part with the speeding and other things that just happened, he really does not call attention to himself.
From the descriptions of his looks, he is basically unremarkable looking and blends in with the crowd.
He knows how to take command in an emergency and be calm at the same time.
The one major drawback so far is that he lacks ambition.

So where does he fit in the larger scheme of things...Hmm...?

Let's see what Jonny has shown us so far.
He has the ability to pick up foreign languages fairly easy and in a short time.
He is someone who can makes friends wherever he goes and in any situation.
He has proven himself in combat and will take risks but not foolish ones.
He has great physical endurance and can adapt himself to whatever climate he is in.
While under educated, he is none the less highly intelligent even through he doesn't know it yet.
He can be taught and trained without questioning the need for it.
Except for this last part with the speeding and other things that just happened, he really does not call attention to himself.
From the descriptions of his looks, he is basically unremarkable looking and blends in with the crowd.
He knows how to take command in an emergency and be calm at the same time.
The one major drawback so far is that he lacks ambition.

So where does he fit in the larger scheme of things...Hmm...?
He has ambition, it is just that his ambition is: An occupation where I a) do not get shot at and b) don't have to dance to whims of an uninformed but uniformed jerkass.

FBKampfer

Banned
I doubt Kat will show much interest in the Tessen. They're wildly impractical as weapons, on the same order as a whip.

While they can be deadly, the amount of skill required to apply them to practical ends would be much more efficiently spent with a regular knife, or even unarmed combat designed to counter bladed weapons.

A five year master with a sword can beat a ten year master with tessen. They're just not that realistic.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that with my 10 years at Brazilian Jujitsu, I could simply overpower a tessen user provided they didn't land any crippling blows before the distance is closed to grappling range.

I doubt Kat will show much interest in the Tessen. They're wildly impractical as weapons, on the same order as a whip.

They are impractical as weapons, but a fan can be taken places that obvious weapons cannot. The advantage that they have is stealth.

While they can be deadly, the amount of skill required to apply them to practical ends would be much more efficiently spent with a regular knife, or even unarmed combat designed to counter bladed weapons.

Probably, but again, it's one of those things that has surprise on it's side.

Edit: Ninja'd

Having a short club that doesn't look like a club might just be a useful weapon of last resort. But then you also could carry a woolen army sock and a sturdy piece of soap.

But then again, a tessen might just be more dressy and more usable in what they call "polite society", whereas a sock and bar of soap combo might not go so well with a fine silk dress.

But then again, a tessen might just be more dressy and more usable in what they call "polite society", whereas a sock and bar of soap combo might not go so well with a fine silk dress.

You've be surprised how suspicious people get of "noodle implements". Things that they just can't fathom why you happen to have.

Why, it's just a bar of soap that you just happn to transport inside a sock. Nothing suspicious just some pieces of clothing and personal hygiene items.

A Tessen does not just have to be a solid steel fan. There are more than one type of them and it sounds like the one Kat has been given is just a simple "See what she gave me". Some have a coating of wood and or lacquer over the metal parts with silk in between the arms. Blades are also found in side of them, and it makes no difference if they are wood or steel. I have seen some depicted that if you move the staves a certain way they unfold in to a bladed weapon. Remember this is an eastern type weapon that is more than it assumes.

Actually, for me the most realistic one is the tessen. The version that folds up and can be used as a club in that configuration due to the metal outer spokes, but looks like a regular fan when opened.

Kat might end up making fans a popular fashion-items again in European society, like they were in the 18th century. Of course hers will have something extra. How about a spring-loaded one that can shoot a small blade? ;-)

There are places and circumstances where carrying a gun might not be an option but a fan could escape notice or at least be easily ignored.

There are times when using a gun is not an option. In real life, bullets go somewhere when they miss, and sometimes keep going after a hit. If something behind the target would react poorly to a bullet, best to use something else.

There are times when using a gun is not an option. In real life, bullets go somewhere when they miss, and sometimes keep going after a hit. If something behind the target would react poorly to a bullet, best to use something else.

A fan can be ignored, even if people know what it is--simply "not noticing" the blades is easier than not noticing a gun. Also, very right about things not reacting well to bullets, as Captain Ramius said aboard Red October. Hmmmmm...there's a story to be written in some way shape or form--a stolen nuclear sub, undetectable, with a captain that is UP TO SOMETHING.