Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

ferdi254

Banned
Those who claim the traffic in Rome is terrible have not been to Cairo, Hanoi, Saigon or Phnom Penh. I‘d drive a car in Rome any time but definitely not in any of the other towns. Not sure about Nairobi here.

Italian traffic rules are easy.

1. The one who reacts faster has the right of way.
2. The one who has the greater car has the right of way
3. 1 beats 2.

Having that in mind driving in Italy is actually fun.

I think what gets me the most about Italian traffic, is that at first glance it looks like it might be normal. They have all these signs and markings that say things like "stop" or "oneway" and you are easily fooled into believing that these hold any sort of meaning to anyone on the road. It is very deceptive.

German traffic on the other hand is very much based on rules. Rules count for something, sometimes more than minor considerations like avoiding accidents.

I hope the Empire does and will not have a speed limit. "Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger!"

Kat's Föhn is probably the predecessor of the GTI and R32.

ferdi254

Banned
Germany was at 21.000 people killed in traffic in the 70s. Despite much more traffic we are down to 3.500 by now. Last time I looked it up the USA was at 8 times that number.

For many Germans „Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger“ is like the weapon gun laws for many people in the USA. With one major difference: Even the most leftist greens argue that no speed limits „only“ come up to 300 killed people in a year.

Germany was at 21.000 people killed in traffic in the 70s. Despite much more traffic we are down to 3.500 by now. Last time I looked it up the USA was at 8 times that number.

For many Germans „Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger“ is like the weapon gun laws for many people in the USA. With one major difference: Even the most leftist greens argue that no speed limits „only“ come up to 300 killed people in a year.

Isn't there also a correlation between the amount of money/effort spent on getting the license and the driving skills/deaths? Because I've driven in Germany, the US, the Netherlands, Austria, France, Belgium and Italy. And I just checked the average cost of getting a license in those countries. It seemed to my experience that the countries with the lowest costs were also the shittiest drivers.

But I don't know how it is/was arranged for getting your license back then and in this TL.

In this discussion about traffic, I have nothing to contribute as the only things that I have experienced is besides my home area of SoCal is Boston , Seoul, and Istanbul.
The Italian Royal Family should be impressed and honored by the fact that they are getting to be the first ones to have a state.dinner.hosted by the newly married Kaiser and his consort Charlotte.
This is important as this will set the tone on how much Charlotte is accepted by Berlin Society and how she is going to be compared to Kira.
The three oldest children of the Kaiser if they are in town should be there to support their new stepmother and that means you Kiki, and if she wants to wear her formal uniform then that is even better as it sends a positive message that the Imperial Family gives back to the Empire and the Kaiser does not ask anything from the people that either he or his family won't do.
Others on the guest list should be the Japanese Imperial Princess Suga who is in town going to university there.

Well, I mean if Kat wants to jump a bridge with her car as a demonstration that it is a good car, I'm all for it.

Just chop of the roof, install a windscreen that can be folded down and put lotsa dakka on it. And paint it a light tan, of course, and presto, voila el quick-fix spec ops vehicle.

To quote that emminent American Philosopher Elwood Blues "Its gotta cop motor, cop suspension and cop accessories."
"It is 170 kilometers to Cottbus, we have a full tank of gasoline, no cigarettes as Dr Berg has informed me that they may cause the cancer that killed the King Of England, it is dark, however the road is well lit, and I have my Sonnenbrille".
"Kat" Douglas asked, "Do you have to give this speech every time you drive"?
"Yes Douglas" she replied, "Every time".
Doug looked out of the drive, saw no one coming and looked back at Kat. "Hit it" he said, without actually knowing why...

Thank you Anja

Last edited:
Part 85, Chapter 1299
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Ninety-Nine

12th December 1958

Berlin

The dormitory on the Humboldt campus was still fairly new as these things went. The presence of Kiki had generated a bit of excitement at the start of the term until it sunk in that she was just another student who would be seen around the common areas every single day. She had even gone so far as putting her name in to share a room with another student. Overall, Kiki found the whole thing to be rather amusing when she took the time to think about. Listening to other students complain about living in the dormitory was hilarious.

Kiki had come directly from living in a military barracks where she shared an open bay with twelve other young women. A door that closed, a lukewarm at best shower that you shared and not enduring staggeringly long days in training. The other students had no idea of the relative luxury. Kiki had mentioned this at a family diner a few months earlier that her father had insisted that she needed to attend. She had been advised by Charlotte that she should probably keep that opinion to herself. The other students probably wouldn’t want to hear it. While Kiki was still trying to make up her mind about her stepmother, she had to admit that it was good advice.

It had been during that meal that her father had announced that over the last few years he had given his children wide latitude towards pursuing their own interests. Now that time was coming to an end. There was a new Government in power and while it was comprised mostly of those who understood the stability that came from having him as a figure who was above politics. There were still many who didn’t like the idea of an unelected, possibly unaccountable Head of State, even as a figurehead. When given a choice, the three oldest had all started careers in the services. That was a good thing, however the secrecy that surrounded them needed to be lifted. They were leading by example and people needed to know.

While all of that was understandable, Kiki had a feeling that there was probably more than just that driving her father’s comments. Like everyone else, she was just going to have to wait for the other shoe to drop. The months since had been bad enough. For some odd reason, much of the public still thought that Kiki was twelve. Learning that she had joined the Medical Service with the intention of becoming a Field Medic and eventually an Emergency Surgeon had come as a surprise to them. There had been a few times that she had found herself being stalked by photographers at the Hospital and at the University. She had discovered the fastest way to get them to leave her alone was to wear the white surgical scrubs that she wore on duty anyway. Another dozen photographs of her wearing those would be worthless to them.

Tonight, was a part of what her father as Emperor was asking of them. It had however turned out to be more complicated than Kiki had figured it would be. Umberto the Second of Italy was making a State visit to Germany with his wife Marie-José and two youngest daughters. The Italian King and Queen were popular in Italy, however rumor had it that while many hoped that Umberto would live a long life, his son Vittorio was being encouraged to take up dangerous sports. The rub was that the two Italian Princesses were flirting with Freddy and Michael while Suga was shooting daggers with her eyes at Freddy every chance she got. As always, Freddy was largely oblivious to what was going on.

“Everyone can tell you’re jealous” Kiki said, “The last thing you need is for those vultures to catch wind.”

She nodded towards the press who were covering this event from the margins.

“How do you put up with them?” Suga asked, “In Japan we would have them flogged.”

“No, you wouldn’t” Kiki replied, “It’s just a very different culture there. Your family is held in far greater reverence than mine is, so you wouldn’t need to.”

Suga just frowned. She had been devoting herself to her studies and Freddy returning from Vietnam had not exactly been a part of her plans. Kiki got the impression that she liked the version of Freddy that she had gotten in the letters. What he was like in person fell a bit under her expectations. From what Kiki had observed, any relationship between Suga and Freddy would probably be a volatile one. At the same time, Suga would push him to be a better person. Kiki’s hope was that her brother would recognize the value in that. As opposed the what she regarded as the worst aspect of him, Freddy tended to always take the path of least resistance when he was pressed to make a hard choice.

“What is their story?” Suga asked, looking at Umberto and Marie-José. She was obviously trying to change the subject to something more comfortable for her.

“The King of Italy and his wife” Kiki replied, “Do you see anything different?”

“It’s like there is a distance between them” Suga said.

“It is a State marriage” Kiki said with emphasis on is, “That is why I told my mother that I didn’t want that for myself.”

“Perhaps” Suga said, “But they came across more like good friends, rather than a husband and wife when I was introduced to them.”

“Then they got the best we could have hoped for a generation or two ago” Kiki replied.

Suga didn’t respond to that. She still had what was very much an outsider’s perspective here, so she obviously saw things differently than Kiki. As odd as Suga seemed at times, Kiki always had to remind herself that she must be equally odd.

Great update, I hope that Freddy and Michael knew enough to dance only once with any female guests as anymore than that will cause unwanted speculation on part of the press.
Glad to see Kiki gain some perspective and it seems that she had fun at the state dinner despite herself.
Freddy it looks like to me while he had some difficulties in the past, he has never been put to the test that would show what he is really made of.

I have been playing around with Google Earth trying to get a handle on Berlin, it has been difficult because between what the Nazis, Allies bombers, Red Army, and the SED did to Berlin it is a much different city from OTL then what it is ITTL.
I see that the Hozenhollern Palace is being rebuilt but with all the things that the SED built in the area, I am having a hard time trying to imagine what the area would look like ITTL.
Is there any pictures of the area from the 20's that would help visualize what it may look like at this point ITTL?

I have been playing around with Google Earth trying to get a handle on Berlin, it has been difficult because between what the Nazis, Allies bombers, Red Army, and the SED did to Berlin it is a much different city from OTL then what it is ITTL.
I see that the Hozenhollern Palace is being rebuilt but with all the things that the SED built in the area, I am having a hard time trying to imagine what the area would look like ITTL.
Is there any pictures of the area from the 20's that would help visualize what it may look like at this point ITTL?

This might help. What the palace looked like in 1925.

BN-EB632_0815sc_H_20140812131454.jpg

Thank you, what the SED did to Berlin was horrible and what you have Kat planning for that area is going to be transformative and if the Television tower is anything like it was IOTL then Kira's Cross is going to be a very definitive landmark.

ferdi254

Banned
Coming back to the driving discussion yes my (and that of many people I know) experience is that the difficulty to get a drivers licence has a direct correlation with the safety on the road.

US citizens by and large cannot drive but at least they do it slow. Getting a drivers license in the USA is by far easier than getting it in Europe (western part). And do not get me started on how to obtain a drivers license in Egypt and how they drive.

The big difference in driving lessons between Germany and other countries is that you learn to drive on the road and not in some closed up area.
Also when you do the driving test the instructor removes most "Fahrschule" signs.