Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 78, Chapter 1168
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Sixty-Eight

20th February 1956

Moscow, Russia

“My cousin still giving you the cold shoulder?” Georgy asked in clearly in an effort to distract Fyodor from the chessboard. It was working.

“She sent me a letter thanking me for covering the expense of her young ward’s dance lessons after she sold the last gift that I sent her” Fyodor replied. She had also been able to set up a charitable foundation to pay for disadvantaged children to participate in the arts with the amount of money in question. The Czar didn’t need to know about that and realizing how foolish he had been still rankled him.

“Many men have tried to scale that edifice” Georgy said, “You’ve gotten further than most, normally she refuses to accept gifts.”

“I didn’t know that” Fyodor said.

“I’ve talked with Lidiya about Jehane many times” Georgy said, “My wife says that she lives within a series of contradictions. A deeply passionate woman who knows she must remain beyond reproach, being modern but having an old soul, living away from her homeland but being very much a part of it.”

“Where does your say that leaves me?”

Georgy just made a move on the board instead of answering. Finally, he said, “Another foolish man trying to win the heart of a beautiful woman even if you are going about it the wrong way.”

“Are you suggesting that there is a right way?” Fyodor asked in reply. As he made a move and knew it was the wrong one as soon as his hand left the piece.

“Before I ended up in charge of this great country, I spent years in the South of France and Paris” Georgy replied, Fyodor was aware of the Czar’s past. He had grown up in France and England as an exile, later to serve in the French Army in the Soviet War. While Georgy had learned a great deal about how the world really worked during that time, Fyodor had no idea what that had to do with his situation. “I won over Lidiya through her friends, it’s a possibility.”

“Are you trying to get me killed?” Fyodor asked, “Her friends know exactly what I am, and they are not shy about what they would do to me if they get the chance.”

“It sounds like you need to be careful then” Georgy said, “I would have a hard time finding someone else willing to play an honest game of chess.”

Fyodor noticed that the Czar found this incredibly amusing, so did everyone else apparently.

Berlin

It had been listening to Gräfin Katherine complaining to her mother about a Doctor Berg that had made Kiki curious. There was an N. Berg on the Hospital Staff. It had taken a bit of time, but she eventually got a look at Nora Berg after asking around about her. It was enough to get Kiki to rethink what she wanted to do with her life. Here was a woman living the life that Kiki thought she wanted, and it clearly didn’t look like it brought her any joy. A woman built like a fireplug with close cropped greying hair who seemed to have a scowling disposition towards everything. What Kiki had not anticipated was what would happen if she got caught…

“I need to speak with you in my office this instant Fraulein von Fischer” Doctor Berg said sharply as Kiki had been walking down the corridor. Something about the way she said Kiki’s assumed name set off alarm bells in her mind.

“I’m sorry Ma’am” Kiki replied, “But I’m expected in Geriatrics…”

“If I choose to have you removed for spying on me that won’t be a problem” Berg said, then she leaned forward so that only Kiki could hear her, “And that would be a real black eye for your parents Princess Kristina. Or we could even have it out right here in the corridor.”

Kiki knew about how gossip flew around the University Clinic. It was as if the staff didn’t have anything better to do. The last thing she wanted was to have this blabbed all over the Hospital. She didn’t have much of a choice but to follow Doctor Berg to her office.

“One thing you should know” Berg said as soon as the door closed, and Kiki was sitting a chair that she suspected was made uncomfortable on purpose, “Asking around cuts both ways. If you ask people about me, they tend to ask me why you are asking about me.”

It was something that should have been incredibly obvious.

“I wasn’t spying on you” Kiki blurted out.

“What you were doing then?”

“I just wanted to know who were after I heard my mother and Gräfin Katherine talking about you.”

“I figure that Kat was complaining as she tends to do?” Doctor Berg said, “Stubborn woman, she would kill for those she cares about but getting her to take care of herself is difficult.”

Kiki was silent which seemed to answer her question.

“Supposedly, you are interested in going into the medical field” Doctor Berg said as she got out of her chair and went to the filing cabinet that open and removed a folder, “A rewarding career, though it has its moments.”

Like this one, Kiki thought to herself as she sat there silently as Doctor Berg sat down in her chair and started filling out a form. Kiki had no idea what she was doing. Filling out an official complaint?

“I’m sure that you are aware of what my specialty is” Doctor Berg said mildly, “It’s probably just as well that this happened. In fact, you probably should have been to see me a couple years ago.”

“Wait, what?” Kiki asked.

“Now, Kristina, for your surname would you prefer this to be under the name von Fischer or the one your family normally uses?” Doctor Berg asked.

“I already have a Physician” Kiki blurted out when she realized what Doctor Berg was doing.

“I’m sure that he is a good one too” Doctor Berg said her voice full of practiced compassion, “Today, we are going to start to discuss matters he likely hasn’t thought about since Medical School.”

Too late did it occur to Kiki what the sort woman who would go head to head with the likes of Gräfin Katherine would be like. She had never stood a chance.

Last edited:
Dr Berg is amazing, without even trying she has trapped another high ranking person in her web of providing healthcare to unwilling women who should have known better.

If we go with what happened IOTL, Johnson is not going to put his name on the ballot in any primaries, he is going to use favorite sons and other surrogates in those States to do the dirty work of gathering delegates for him while working behind the scenes with state party bosses in the states that don't have primaries.
Along with Gov. Stevenson of IL, Gov. Harriman of New York and Gov. Roosevelt of California are potential candidates and from the U.S. Senate there is Sen Kefauver of TN and Sen. Humphrey of MN may run in primaries in their neighboring states.The
On the Republican side, it is a relatively thin bench with the most often mentioned candidates being Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge of MA. and Sen.Wayne Morse of Oregon who was the Vice Presidential nominee in 1956, a wild card is former President Dewey who is seeking redemption, he is currently in private practice with his parteners, David Cheetem and Robert Howe.

I like that sound of that police show Kiki is watching. It sounds a bit like the BBC show “Death in Paradise” which is about an English cop becoming the CID of a Caribbean island.

It's funny how when I try to think of mindless and relatively inoffensive Drama-Comedies, Police, Medical or Legal Procedurals I always run across TV shows that have already been done. Nothing new under the sun I guess.

Last edited:
It's funny how when I try to think of mindless and relatively inoffensive Drama-Comedies, Police, Medical or Legal Procedurals I always run across TV shows that have already been done. Nothing new under the sun I guess.
It makes sense that there is show set in the German Pacific Islands as a way to bring tourists and bring a sense of togetherness to the Empire.
I would not be surprised if there was some massive tax breaks and economic incentives to film over there.
This could allow them to film in color and do what Disney did with its Davey Crockett shows, recut them and show them in movie theaters.

a wild card is former President Dewey who is seeking redemption, he is currently in private practice with his parteners, David Cheetem and Robert Howe.
I saw what you did there! Perhaps you could go and get your coat before the tomatoes start flying?

That's always been the way though, certainly in TV and movies. I don't think you can help it unfortunately.

That's always been the way though, certainly in TV and movies. I don't think you can help it unfortunately.

You know that brings up another thing. The sort of stories and plot conventions that we now consider to be universal and everywhere, weren't always that way and the point when they were seriously established is quite a bit after the point where this story diverges from our timeline.

Fritz Lang's "M" and Akira Kurosawa's "Nora Inu" (aka "Stray Dog") were sort of the grandfathers of modern Police procedural and buddy cops shows. With Germany and Japan having gone quite different ways than in OTL those movies probably didn't get made (at least not in the same way), but it seems likely that writers and producers still ended up in roughly the same place.

Part 78, Chapter 1169
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Sixty-Nine

25th February 1956

Berlin

“Perhaps you ought to get over yourself Kiki” Zella said as she scratched under Hera’s chin, “The entire reason you ended up in this situation was because you spied on a Doctor.”

“It’s not that simple” Kiki replied.

“Is it?” Zella asked, “Especially after she called your mother and with what happened on Wednesday and Thursday?”

Kiki felt her cheeks burning as Zella said that. Earlier she had told the whole mortifying story to Aurora and Zella. Aurora had found it hilarious and Zella thought that Kiki needed to understand that she was a victim of her own tendency to overreach.

On Monday, Kiki had been grilled by Doctor Berg about… everything or at least all the things that Kiki would normally have kept to herself. It had turned out that Nora Berg was extremely good at getting that sort of information out of people. Though she didn’t hesitate to use the threat of reporting that Kiki was spying on her whenever she felt Kiki was being recalcitrant. Before Kiki had known it Doctor Berg was on the phone to Kiki’s mother buttering her up while suggesting the next steps. The worst part was that Kiki’s mother had clearly felt that it was a good thing that she was grown up enough to take an active interest in her health.

If Monday was mortifying, Wednesday was humiliating as well. Kiki had been subjected to a physical examination that was staggeringly thorough and a surprisingly large amount of blood was taken. Then Kiki had been introduced to a new word, ultrasound. Having the technician and Doctor Berg pointing at the screen, identifying everything inside there for her and letting her know that from what they could see in the vague images that everything was where it was supposed to be and in the right proportion made her want to curl up and die. The entire time her mother had sat there chatting with Doctor Berg, supposedly for moral support and be a comforting presence for Kiki. It didn’t quite work out that way, there they were looking at an image of her uterus and ovaries and her mother acted like it was the latest holiday special on television.

Then on Thursday the grand finale had come. Doctor Berg delighting in the authority that working on behalf of the Empress lent her had gotten the results back very quickly. Other than mild anemia and being vitamin deficient for seasonal reasons, Kiki was a heathy young woman. Then once Kiki’s mother had left the room Doctor Berg had informed Kiki that she was very capable of getting pregnant and while she might not be comfortable talking about that in front of her mother it was important that they discuss the implications of that. The humiliation hadn’t quite ended there. One of the women who worked directly for Kiki’s mother, Fraulein Lawniczak, had implied to Kiki after they had returned to the palace that if circumstances were different there would have been more invasive procedures involved. When Kiki had asked Asia what she meant by that and how was that even possible, she had just looked annoyed by Kiki’s apparent naivety. Be happy that Doctor Berg didn’t want to cause you any real pain was all she had said on the matter.

“Doctor Berg doesn’t want me spying on her” Kiki said, “She certainly made me want to avoid her in the future.”

“I think that was the idea” Aurora said.

Both Zella and Aurora found that funny. It did make sense. Doctor Berg had the authority and means to put Kiki in her place like few others did. However, Kiki wasn’t quite sure about what was motivating her. One of the things that Doctor Berg had said was that if Kiki wanted to do more at the Hospital than watch television with septuagenarians then perhaps she should talk to her in the near future.

What exactly had that been all about?

Washington D.C.

Lyndon Johnson had been expecting to cruise into Chicago in August as the triumphant leader of the Democratic Party by lining up the delegates for the Convention with local proxies and have it all sewn up before the first primary ballot was cast in New Hampshire in March. Adlai Stevenson clearly hadn’t gotten the message. The Illinois Governor had come up through the world of the politics of his home State as a reform candidate, not something that anyone lacking steel in their spine would aspire to. For all his reputation as a witty intellectual he was a player with the best of them and Johnson had suddenly found himself having to compete for every delegate. Who knew that calling people in person and asking for their vote would be more effective than asking a local favorite to do it for you? The Primary Elections in New Hampshire and Minnesota had become important and Johnson had found himself in the unfamiliar position of being on the back foot.

Truman knew that he couldn’t take a side in this matter, but his hope was that the two of them would settle this quickly without splitting the Party. He might as well hope to fly to the Moon on a rocket ship fueled by ice cream. The same fault lines that had bedeviled his Administration were very apparent to anyone who saw the regions of the country where Johnson and Stevenson were getting their delegates from.

Internationally, the furor over Atgeir 5 had died down just in time for the British and French to step up with their own project. As Truman saw the photographs of Commander Eric Brown of the British Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm and Commandant Edmond Marin la Meslée of the French Air Force in the papers all he could think about was that it should have been America that was in the lead. He remembered the Wright Brothers, Edison, Bell and all the other great American innovators and inventors. How had all of that been allowed to slip away?

Last edited:
Do the British/French have a rocket capable of sending up two people at the same time or did they do two launches? In OTL nobody had that capability before the Voskhod and Gemini programs and it would be strange that they skipped the easier one-man Rocket design directly to a two man design just so they could go at the same time. Or have I misunderstood them having a joint program?

At least the spationaut/astronaut seem to be well chosen based on their Wikipedia entries.

Do the British/French have a rocket capable of sending up two people at the same time or did they do two launches? In OTL nobody had that capability before the Voskhod and Gemini programs and it would be strange that they skipped the easier one-man Rocket design directly to a two man design just so they could go at the same time. Or have I misunderstood them having a joint program?

I didn't think it was joint, I thought they were individual. I could be wrong. I want to see what happens when that bottle of champagne smuggled aboard the French ship gets opened...

Kiki is learning three important lessons about a career in medicine, first is how to listen, second that there are limits on what medical science can do, and third that people die.
If she can understand and handle that she can now go on to the next steps in reaching her goals.

Johnson has to show that he can get votes up north but his main problem is that right now politicians from the south are not exactly the first choice of northern liberals at this time.
IOTL when Johnson ran in 1960 he tried to recast himself as a westerner instead of a southerner.
He should do what he was best at on the campaign trail IOTL and talk about the dignity of man and how it is for everyone no matter their race, color, creed, or ethnicity.
Sen. Humphrey should be running as a favorite son in Minnesota and in neighboring Wisconsin so the most important primaries should be in Oregon, Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska, and California.
IOTL it was only in 1972 that you had to run in the primaries in order to get enough delegates to get nominated.

Kiki is learning three important lessons about a career in medicine, first is how to listen, second that there are limits on what medical science can do, and third that people die.
If she can understand and handle that she can now go on to the next steps in reaching her goals.
Oddly? I suspect that this was basically a kinder, more effective and refined version of the "Tests" that Schultz pulled on Kat as a teenager, but done with in accord with Kira and Dr Berg's knowledge.

Why? Because Kira likely was torn. For one, she WANTS Kiki to pursue her goals.

However she likely had doubts about the grit of her daughter to deal with the more uncomfortable and typical issues of the Medical career.

So Kat, who likely was met by Dr Berg, likely asked her to expose Kiki to the likely kind of embarrassing situation that she would see in a few years more.... And from things, Kat couldn't be proudest of Kiki passing the test in a level......