STAR WARS with other actors

Just read in a movie mag article last wk how back in 1976-77, when George Lucas was in the process of making A NEW HOPE, certain actors were initially signed up to play the main characters who eventually were replaced by those who became the familiar household names we know today. Eg Nick Nolte was initially considered for Luke Skywalker, and a black actor for Han Solo, although in the latter case apparently the role went eventually to harrison ford due to the film team's desire to not complicate the plot with an interracial romance. But WI these initial choices had been stuck to by Lucas ? How much more different would STAR WARS have been than it is today ?

I wonder how the movie would have done if William Katt as Luke, Kurt Russel or Billy Dee Williams played Han Solo, Cindy Williams as Leia , and Mel Blanc as C-3PO

Galbatorix said:
?what about clint eastwood for han solo?

"Did he fire six shots, or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being this is a PR60 Carbine Blaster, the most powerful Blaster in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya punk?"

Xen

Banned
Diamond said:
I've also heard that Burt Reynolds was considered for the role of Solo...
*shudders*

Burt Reynolds was the original Indiana Jones, he quit the set though and Lucas replaced him with Ford.

Now I believe Jodie Foster was originally considered for Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker was originally supposed to be a female, and the lightsaber was supposed to be the weapon of choice by everyone in the galaxy, including Stormtroopers.

Considered for Solo:
Christopher Walken
Robert DeNiro
Nick Nolte (yeah)

Considered for Skywalker:
Bill Mumy (Will Robinson, Len'r on BABYLON 5)

Considered for Ben Kenobi:
Mako

Some thrown out ideas:
It was supposed to take place in the 33rd Century.
Han Solo was originally supposed to be the hero.
Skywalker was supposed to be an Imperial pilot who gets caught up in the rebellion, and a woman.
Original name for Skywalker, Starkiller.

Count Deerborn said:
Skywalker was supposed to be an Imperial pilot who gets caught up in the rebellion, and a woman.
Original name for Skywalker, Starkiller.
No...

Anakin Starkiller was the original protaganist, with Luke being an wise old general. Both were always male.

Hmmm...I recall the AJC movie reviewers said about Hayden Christiansen--"he's vapid, not Vader." Others have said he and Portman have no chemistry together.

So who could play Anakin better? This is more for prequels than the main trilogy, but it technically works.

I think the black actor playing Solo would probably NFL hall of fame and actor Jim Brown. Either he had already done interacial romance on screen before Star Wars or at the time of Star Wars so I think he could pull it off. And Jim Brown is cool.

Mikey said:
Alderaan was also the original name Lucas had for the Imperial capital.
And Utapau was the original Tatooine
The Imperial Capital was originally to be a gas planet like Bespin
Princess Leia was originally 14
The Sith were a bunch of pirates who were hired to wipe out the knights Bendu (Jedi)
Moff Tarkin was a holy man of some sort
Vader was just a general

All sorts of interesting changes.

Well, Lucas seemed to have about a billion different ideas for SW. . . actualy I think Robert De Niro would have been a good, but very different actor. And maybe for the non vader non emperor imperial bad guy (tarkin I think) they could get Al Pacino or something (I love all the actors who appear anywhere in the Godfather cast) and I hate to say it, but wouldn't Marlon Brando be a 50 billion times scarrier emperor (don't worry, not with a full Italian accent).

Alec Guiness is the perfect choice for Obi Wan. Asians just don't seem to make it in Sci Fi universes. Don't know why. . .

33rd century Earth universe? Now THATS a timeline I wanna see ;)

This is somewhat apropos of nothing, but in Stirling's Drakon, there was a throwaway mention of the first Star Wars movie of the pseudo-OTL having Kenneth Branagh as Obi-Wan. Personally, I would've felt that Branagh would've been too young for the role, but that's my opinion.

Thande

Donor
Some early SW ideas I recall are: Luke Skywalker being the name of the General Dodonna figure (Luke himself being called Annikin Starkiller); the imperial capital was called Had Abbadon; and the original ROTJ ending was for Luke to put on the Vader mask and take his place beside the Emperor, broadcasting to the Rebel fleet as the Emperor hands over the controls of the Death Star for him to attack the Rebels...and Luke firing at Had Abbadon and destroying it instead.

Melvin and others.I published a post on another SW thread -the geek one.Did any of you hear the radio adaption of the OT?Mark Hamill played Luke and Perry King played Han.Brock Peters who was on DS9 played Vader and Ed Asner as JABBA! John Lithgow played Yoda.WI the above besides Mark played the characters in the film.CDs of the plays exist-6 hours plus long each with different and extended scenes.