Sports What Ifs.

The Drive andThe Fumble were much more memorable, of course, but Cleveland also lost to Denver in the January, 1990 AFC title game. They were down big early, but Bernie Kosar got them without 3 to start the 2nd half before they lost - they didn't score again after that.

But what if there was The Break?

A slightly different kickoff and a sudden gust leads to the receiver muffing the ensuing kickoff, and theBrowns recover and go up for the first time. The Broncos are forced to punt, and Eric Metcalf, with the Browns having the momentum, gets a big returnand they go on to win despite Elway's attempt at another comeback.

The Super Bowl is probably the same - 55-10 San Francisco. Most agreed that the 49ers were unstoppable that year, but hey, Cleveland got there, right?

Does Bud Carson still get fired? I'm sure it's not midway through 1990, as bad as the Browns were, they actually went to the Super Bowl, and Marty Schottenheimer had been fired for, you know, not doing that. So, I wonder if Carson would remain on as the Browns head coach at least a year longer? If not, Art Modell is going to get a much worse reputation for hiring and firing coaches; he fires a winner just because of a couple tough losses, than he fires a winner because he does what the other guy couldn't - does Modell think he's George Steinbrenner and want to win every year?

Either way, this can impact Bill Belicheck. He got his first gig with the Browns, and lasted several years. If Caron isn't fired after 1990, of course Belicheck goes elsewhere - who else was hiring in the 1990-1 offseason? Or does he wait a year because he figures the Browns will be looking soon?

If Carson is fired anyway, does Belicheck have second thoughts?

Or, was Belicheck a hot enough commodity that Modell fires Carson just because he has a chance to land Belicheck?

If the Browns get to SB 24, I agree that it should keep him there until 1991. However, I don't see him turning around the team after that, and Belichick still may replace him.

In 1989, Belichick (along with George Seifert) was under consideration for the Cleveland job. Seifert decided to replace Walsh in SF, and they didn't think that Belichick was old enough. That's why they hired Carson.

The A.L. andN.L. tended to split states in baseball - Houston and the Rangers, St. Louis and Kansas City, the traditions with Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Would they have considered doing this with California?Or were the Bay Area and Los Angeles too dissimilar in size?
I'm podering a scenario where Paul Fagan works with MLB to buy a team after WW2 - let's say the Braves. The Browns were close to being allowed to move in December of1941 to Los Angeles and in my Browns to L.A. timeline I have them actually moving with the Braves a year early, but the Braves swapping leagues with Cleveland to allow the A.L. to have 2 teams in California for travel ease.. But supposing that Fagan decides the best way to get MLB to accept Clifornia isn't to make the PCL a 3rd big league but instead to lure someone like the Braves (let's say JOe Cronin is sold there instead, he's from SanFrancisco so could have made contact) to the Bay Area while letting the Browns go to L.A.. Then, he'd sell the leagues on the idea that with expansion, the A.L. could have 2 teams in L.A. and a team could be in San francisco and one in Oakland.

I think the biggest hurdle would be an Oakland stadium - Seals Stadium was a big enough temporary home and a new park could be put on Candlestick Point rather easily, and L.A. is a large enough area 2 teams could go there easily, one in the L.A. COlisseum and one in Wrigley Field West till another is built. Oakland didn't have a big stadium - but they could use afootball stadiu in the Bay Area till oneis built.

Would the leagues accept this anytime in the 40s or early 50s?

The A.L. andN.L. tended to split states in baseball - Houston and the Rangers, St. Louis and Kansas City, the traditions with Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Would they have considered doing this with California?Or were the Bay Area and Los Angeles too dissimilar in size?
I'm podering a scenario where Paul Fagan works with MLB to buy a team after WW2 - let's say the Braves. The Browns were close to being allowed to move in December of1941 to Los Angeles and in my Browns to L.A. timeline I have them actually moving with the Braves a year early, but the Braves swapping leagues with Cleveland to allow the A.L. to have 2 teams in California for travel ease.. But supposing that Fagan decides the best way to get MLB to accept Clifornia isn't to make the PCL a 3rd big league but instead to lure someone like the Braves (let's say JOe Cronin is sold there instead, he's from SanFrancisco so could have made contact) to the Bay Area while letting the Browns go to L.A.. Then, he'd sell the leagues on the idea that with expansion, the A.L. could have 2 teams in L.A. and a team could be in San francisco and one in Oakland.

I think the biggest hurdle would be an Oakland stadium - Seals Stadium was a big enough temporary home and a new park could be put on Candlestick Point rather easily, and L.A. is a large enough area 2 teams could go there easily, one in the L.A. COlisseum and one in Wrigley Field West till another is built. Oakland didn't have a big stadium - but they could use afootball stadiu in the Bay Area till oneis built.

Would the leagues accept this anytime in the 40s or early 50s?
Even sports illustrated took a while till the Athletics moved to San Francisco so depends

I've been thinking about the 1984 draft a lot recently (as one does), and I think the most interesting theoretical option for Michael Jordan's career is the one where the Blazers win the coinflip and draft Olajuwon and the Rockets draft Jordan. I feel like it's really hard for MJ to break through in this scenario, even if he still is just as good as he is IOTL; he's not going to stop Sampson's body from breaking down (if anything, Sampson probably breaks down faster without Hakeem playing the 5), he's probably not going to stop Lewis Lloyd and Mitchell Wiggins from getting cocaine suspensions, and it's hard to see the Rockets putting a championship-level squad around him without all of those pieces when they didn't come that close with Hakeem until 1994. If by '94 he has Wilt-type scoring records, a couple MVPs, but no rings, what does the rest of his career look like? Does his force his way out of Houston before that point? Does he retire permanently instead of temporarily?

I've been thinking about the 1984 draft a lot recently (as one does), and I think the most interesting theoretical option for Michael Jordan's career is the one where the Blazers win the coinflip and draft Olajuwon and the Rockets draft Jordan. I feel like it's really hard for MJ to break through in this scenario, even if he still is just as good as he is IOTL; he's not going to stop Sampson's body from breaking down (if anything, Sampson probably breaks down faster without Hakeem playing the 5), he's probably not going to stop Lewis Lloyd and Mitchell Wiggins from getting cocaine suspensions, and it's hard to see the Rockets putting a championship-level squad around him without all of those pieces when they didn't come that close with Hakeem until 1994. If by '94 he has Wilt-type scoring records, a couple MVPs, but no rings, what does the rest of his career look like? Does his force his way out of Houston before that point? Does he retire permanently instead of temporarily?
I’d imagine he tries to exit Houston ASAP in such a case

NBA free agency began around 1990. But then again, he could also request a trade - they could get a whole slew of picks and some players for himif a team that is near conention happens to have a down year and pick really early in the draft.

Don Larsen lost a game in the 1956 World Series before his perfect game. Suppose that he hurts his arm or something. And the Dodgers win games 5 and then game 6. This then leads to The Shocker of all shockers in 1958.

Arnold Johnson was basically being used by the Yankees as a farm club with his Kansas City.Athletics the yankees send bob turley who had struggled, Casey stangle losing confidence in him and Don. Larsen, who apparently wasn't as good as they thought, to Kansas City in 1957 for a few better players such as a young Ralph Terry.

The two hurlers improve for 1957 and then really do well especially Turley. In 1958, the Yankees can't trade for them because the Athletics won't make a trade while they are winning and the Kansas City Athletics with a surprising 87 or 88 wins just eke past the Yankees. Even in our timeline, they were only 9 games out of second while the Yankees were 10 games up on the second place team, so it is actually possible, Though, of course, other moves could have made winners of the Red Sox, white Sox, or someone else.

How does this affect the relationship between the Yankees and the Kansas City? Athletics If the supposed farm system of the Yankees wins the pennant? Obviously Casey St we ngel is let go a few years early. In fact, with 3 straight World Series losses, it is possible that he leaves in 1957 only to go over to… Kansas City for 1958.

Don Larsen lost a game in the 1956 World Series before his perfect game. Suppose that he hurts his arm or something. And the Dodgers win games 5 and then game 6. This then leads to The Shocker of all shockers in 1958.

Arnold Johnson was basically being used by the Yankees as a farm club with his Kansas City.Athletics the yankees send bob turley who had struggled, Casey stangle losing confidence in him and Don. Larsen, who apparently wasn't as good as they thought, to Kansas City in 1957 for a few better players such as a young Ralph Terry.

The two hurlers improve for 1957 and then really do well especially Turley. In 1958, the Yankees can't trade for them because the Athletics won't make a trade while they are winning and the Kansas City Athletics with a surprising 87 or 88 wins just eke past the Yankees. Even in our timeline, they were only 9 games out of second while the Yankees were 10 games up on the second place team, so it is actually possible, Though, of course, other moves could have made winners of the Red Sox, white Sox, or someone else.

How does this affect the relationship between the Yankees and the Kansas City? Athletics If the supposed farm system of the Yankees wins the pennant? Obviously Casey St we ngel is let go a few years early. In fact, with 3 straight World Series losses, it is possible that he leaves in 1957 only to go over to… Kansas City for 1958.

That would be quite a twist, and we may still see the A's in KC going strong instead of this mess that we have today:

Also, the A's staying in KC (if they do, I presume that Finley won't be the owner) may affect other sports:

1. Without Charlie Finley in the Bay Area in 1970, maybe the California Seals find an owner that can get a new arena built sooner, and they stay there longer (if for good). As a result, the Sharks don't exist today.

2. Baseball expands in 1971 (or 72) instead of 1969 (Missouri Senator Symington doesn't raise cain in this world), and the Pilots don't move to Milwaukee since they have more time to prepare Sicks Stadium for temporary MLB play until the Kingdome is ready.

Last edited:
I was watching a video about the early-00's Sacramento Kings, and I did some research. I found out something interesting: Apparently, before the 1997 NBA draft, Chris Webber was close to being traded from Washington to the Sonics for Shawn Kemp and C Jim McIlvaine:

That would be quite a twist, and we may still see the A's in KC going strong instead of this mess that we have today:

Also, the A's staying in KC (if they do, I presume that Finley won't be the owner) may affect other sports:

1. Without Charlie Finley in the Bay Area in 1970, maybe the California Seals find an owner that can get a new arena built sooner, and they stay there longer (if for good). As a result, the Sharks don't exist today.

2. Baseball expands in 1971 (or 72) instead of 1969 (Missouri Senator Symington doesn't raise cain in this world), and the Pilots don't move to Milwaukee since they have more time to prepare Sicks Stadium for temporary MLB play until the Kingdome is ready.
Arnold Johnson would still have his heart attack in early 1960, but a richer team. Only a couple years removed from the World Series with attract other owners. Perhaps Ewing Kaufman buys them early instead of getting the expansion team.

Or Charlie Finley buys them but they are seen as a richer team and they get a stadium, thus getting him to stay.

That sounds like the best scenario. If you can avoid Finley, that would be great.
He trying to group to buy someplace. But the Athletics in this scenario are richer and can get a better Stadium eventually.

What him buy Washington instead of Bob Short or whoever owned it before then. Then a few years of his threats later expansion can douse any possible relocation. Well, unless the White Sox move to Milwaukee and then he moves the Senators to Chicago.

The guy really is a wild card. I'm kind of surprised Bill Bartholomay wasn't in the running to buy the Athletics after Arnold Johnson died. It was before the Braves purchase. Although perhaps he didn't think that the team was successful enough to move it to Atlanta and have success. Which means he could be a danger here also.

But Kauffman is available and I don't think Bartholomew would go for the Athletics. The 1958 pennant would be too much of a flash in the pan. He wanted stars like Hank Aaron or, if he had bought the White Sox in 1958 as he almost did, some of the best players on that team.

Edit : which reminds me the White Sox went up for sale in late 1961 after Bill Veeck's health declined. That is probably the best scenario for Charlie finley. He was sort of a protege, he just made Veeck look like a Puritan. Let him have the White Sox and threatened to move them to Milwaukee and back a few times. It gets Bud Seeley out of the way because Finley would own the team up there and it's not likely that he would leave Chicago or the surrounding area, I mean he would figure that people could drive to Milwaukee. So I wouldn't put anything past him.

Last edited:
I was watching a video about the early-00's Sacramento Kings, and I did some research. I found out something interesting: Apparently, before the 1997 NBA draft, Chris Webber was close to being traded from Washington to the Sonics for Shawn Kemp and C Jim McIlvaine:

Surprised the Sonics were almost willing to move Kemp that soon after their Finals run

Milwaukee deserves a team, so I wonder what ends up being the Brewers in TTL?
If the Braves don't move there, Say they move out to California, it would be a good place for Washington, Calvin Griffith, keeping them till 1984 removes a lot of Bud Selig's prestige so he can't take over in the early 90s. He had almost 15 more years to pal around with baseball owners in our timeline.

The white sox are always an option, but he would buy them.

Milwaukee deserves a team, so I wonder what ends up being the Brewers in TTL?
Well, the Padres almost moved to DC in 1974 before Ray Kroc bought the team, so they could be an option. Maybe the 1977 expansion still happens, but San Diego replaces Seattle (assuming the Pilots stay).