Sports What Ifs.

A thought regarding sports in North America:

What if the Irish immigrants to Canada and the US had had more luck taking hurling and Gaelic football with them to North America, from the mid-1800s onwards? They kind of did, in OTL, but to this day the local scenes are small and confined to recent Irish expats, as opposed to the descendants of the Great Famine's exodus.

Hurling might end up influencing lacrosse before being absorbed by it, but Gaelic football does not have any rough North American equivalents, so it could thrive in the Northeast first before expanding to the rest of North America.

Imagine, if you will, a world where we either don't have the Raiders (and Al Davis), or we don't have the Kansas City Chiefs.

If the Raiders move to NO (and change the name to the Saints), the butterflies are major since Al Davis probably doesn't become their coach. As as result, he also probably doesn't become AFL commissioner for a short time a few years later, either. That may have delayed the merger since Al isn't there to tell AFL teams to sign NFL players. Also, Madden maybe never becomes a HC and TV personality, and the Madden NFL video game doesn't exist. Also, the Saints and Chiefs (the Texans move to KC if the Raiders get NO first) would have been in much closer proximity, which might have made that rivalry even better if it still happens.

If the Texans move to NO, KC probably doesn't get an NFL team for years (although they would have gotten the Royals since the A's still would have left for Oakland with the Raiders still being there and a new stadium opening).

For it to happen Rodgers would need to put on some more weight and grow a few more inches like he did at community college when he was still in high school
Or maybe in a college maybe ranked less high but still in first division (like fresno, sjsu, utah tcu, washington state )

Edit : Illinois offered him to walk on they had 2 rb who went on to nfl and 4 wr in 2002( and i think a oline but not sure (pashos but maybe it s not the right pashos). He would not have played at least 1st year( 2 jr qb there). Let s say he did opt for it. He redshirt 1st year (2002) maybe get a lot of time on practice squad to ready defense, 2003 see some time on offense when either winning or losing badly. 2004-2006 he start. Drafted in 2007 instead where is he taken then does he have more or less visibility there?

Last edited:
A couple questions that aren't exactly what ifs, but have to do with sports hypotheticals in general:

How would your ideal league work (everything from finances to structure, etc.) and, have there ever been alternatives to the franchise and promotion/relegation models, or could any alternatives exist?

WI Warren Sapp stays at his tight end position at the University of Miami? IOTL, he went to the University of Miami as a tight end, but a teammate, Mark Caesar, convinced then-head coach Dennis Erickson to switch to defensive tackle, because he saw a lot of potential in him as a defensive lineman, similar to Russell Maryland and Cortez Kennedy (who Caesar had been teammates with at UM)...

Last edited:
WI Warren Sapp stays at his tight end position at the University of Miami? IOTL, he went to the University of Miami as a tight end, but a teammate, Mark Caesar, convinced then-head coach Dennis Erickson to switch to defensive tackle, because he saw a lot of potential in him as a defensive lineman, similar to Russell Maryland and Cortez Kennedy (who Caesar had been teammates with at UM)...
Immediately, that alters the course of one person I know.

Then again, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO I KNOW

Dwayne Johnson played as DE for the University of Miami around the time that Sapp was transfered from offense to defense, essentially defeating Johnson for the DE spot while "Dewey" became a gadget defensive player, essentially ending the latter's NFL chances. With Sapp remaining on offense, I would bet Johnson remains and perhaps improve as DE to get a late round spot. Whether or not he is successful is up in the air.

Last edited:
In 1996, the Celtics thought about drafting Kobe. They did meet with him and work him out:

In 1996, the Celtics thought about drafting Kobe. They did meet with him and work him out:

Are they shit enough to draft paul pierce the next year? Cause kobe and pierce, along with chauncey billups if they keep him, would be a good building block for a championship contender.

The reason they picked Walker is because they wanted to hire Rick Pitino and bringing one of his Kentucky players could help them hire him.(Which ended up working) I am actually doing a what if where Kobe goes to Dallas instead of Samaki Walker. I am not posting it on the forum because I don't really want to write an entire story around it.

Dennis Rodman was drafted by the Detroit Pistons with the 27th pick in the 1986 NBA Draft. What if he’d been drafted...
  • 12th by the Washington Bullets (who took John Williams)?
  • 14th by the Portland Trail Blazers (who took Walter Berry, who never played a game for the Blazers and eventually got traded to the San Antonio Spurs)?
  • 18th by the Denver Nuggets (who took Mark Alarie)?
  • 23rd by the Los Angeles Lakers (who took Ken Barlow, who never ended up playing in a single NBA game)?

From the MLB June Amatuer Draft, 2011
Historically, Mookie Betts was drafted in the 5th round by the Boston Red Sox.
Suppose, though, the Brewers had drafted him in the 3rd round, instead of RHP Drew Gagnon, and they kept him at shortstop.

Assuming a similar rise, Betts makes his MLB debut with the Crew in 2014, bumping a slumping Jean Segura to the bench as a pinch runner.
He soon establishes himself as one of the best shortstops in the majors.
With Betts at shortstop, does the Crew still get Yelich and Cain in the 2017-2018 offseason?
How would a lineup with Yelich and Betts at the heart of it fare in the playoffs?
Does Bob Uecker celebrate the Brewers' first World Championship in 2018, and a repeat title in 2019?

Imagine, if you will, a world where we either don't have the Raiders (and Al Davis), or we don't have the Kansas City Chiefs.

If the Raiders move to NO (and change the name to the Saints), the butterflies are major since Al Davis probably doesn't become their coach. As as result, he also probably doesn't become AFL commissioner for a short time a few years later, either. That may have delayed the merger since Al isn't there to tell AFL teams to sign NFL players. Also, Madden maybe never becomes a HC and TV personality, and the Madden NFL video game doesn't exist. Also, the Saints and Chiefs (the Texans move to KC if the Raiders get NO first) would have been in much closer proximity, which might have made that rivalry even better if it still happens.

If the Texans move to NO, KC probably doesn't get an NFL team for years (although they would have gotten the Royals since the A's still would have left for Oakland with the Raiders still being there and a new stadium opening).
I think KC still gets a football team but maybe not until 1966 when the nfl expands and they get a team along with Atlanta. Otherwise they might have to wait until the AFL expands , butterflying either the Dolphins or Bengals. Otherwise they won’t get a team until 1976 but I don’t see them waiting that long. I’d figure they’d get a team in 1966 in the nfl and they’d be called either the Mules or still be the Chiefs as the team was named after they mayor of KC, Harold Roe “Chief” Bartle.
Also you’re right about the Raiders. Lots of butterflies. I think Davis might end up finding a way up in the Chargers organization or being he was kind of a huckster, exaggerating his football prowess, he finds a way to make some waves in pro football though maybe not as big as otl. As for Madden, he might end up being a college coach, probably in California. He might end up working his way up, maybe even coaching for a WAC or PAC 10 school if he’s successful enough.

One timeline I’ve been thinking about is what if Nebraska football never became the modern juggernaut it was from the 60s through the 90s. I remember reading that in 1962 Bob Devaney, who basically made Nebraska a powerhouse, almost didn’t come to Nebraska due to a contract dispute at his old job at Wyoming. He also though the facilities were crap but he was convinced by his old boss at Michigan State, Duffy Daugherty to come to Lincoln.

If Bob said no the other candidates were John Ralston who coached Utah State at the time and won two Rose Bowls at Stanford with Jim Plunkett as QB, and Ray Nagel, who was coach at Utah and had one good year in 1964, and struggled at Iowa ( though it was mostly due to their former Rose Bowl winning coach and then AD Forrest Evashevski meddling with the program, with many speculating he wanted to return as Iowa HC.)

Basically, if Nebraska football kept being bad or even just never got past a few mediocre or decent seasons, it would change the whole state. Instead of being obsessed with Husker football, the state might have to find a different sports obsession or there would be a kind of void.

Also in terms of coaching butterflies, I don’t know if Tom Osborne ends up becoming hc as he was just a grad student in Lincoln who thought he’d teach and coach high school. Others impacted might be Monte Kiffin, who got his coaching start as a defensive assistant in Lincoln ( he might still, as he only graduated in 1963. So maybe he’s on staff), Barry Alvarez, who played at Nebraska before embarking on a coaching career where he’d follow the Devaney model as coach and AD at Wisconsin. While not a huge impact nationally, it’d be strange to see Nebraska stay mediocre ( which sadly they are becoming again.)

Is the brewers the answer is..NO. DEFEAT vs Red sox and again vs Astros

The difference is, you have the Brewers bring a lineup of:
cf: Cain
ss: Betts
rf: Yelich
1b: Aguilar
2b: Shaw
lf: Braun
3b: Moustakas
c: Pina

With Eric Thames DHing in the AL park.

There is NO weakness in that lineup - the Red Sox don't have Betts, they're facing him.

Now, for 2019, here's Milwaukee's every day lineup.

cf: Cain
2b: Hiura
rf: Yelich
ss: Betts
c: Grandal
lf: Braun
1b: Thames
3b: Moustakas

They then have the rookie Trent Grisham playing left while Braun DHs in the AL park.

Remember how the 2018 lineup really had no weaknesses? Well, there's even less weakness in the 2019 lineup. Maybe Yelich has that freak accident with the foul ball... or maybe Betts butterflies that away.