Sports What Ifs.

Was wondering how the NFL would be different if the Cardinals stayed in Chicago. If it does work out, I could see the Cardinals added to the AFC in 1970. Maybe the Colts could stay in the NFC.

If the Cards stayed in Chicago, the AFL would have had 10 teams at the beginning, with St. Louis and maybe Kansas City at the start.

If the Cards stayed in Chicago, the AFL would have had 10 teams at the beginning, with St. Louis and maybe Kansas City at the start.

If that’s the case, where do the Dallas Texans move? New Orleans? Atlanta? Phoenix would be a bit soon in 1960 and I think Atlanta or New Orleans would be a better fit.

Also, a league with 10 teams may not be as well equipped to handle the Jets and their financial issues (back when they were the Titans) and the team would probably have to be sold - and likely relocate. Which means the AFL has to figure out NYC or just give into the Giants - but the NFL becomes mostly shit out of luck in the South.

If the AFL tries to go to a dozen, the NFL may beat them to Miami (which would at least make the Dolphins an NFC team in all likelihood) and necessitate only two teams flipping to the AFC - one of which probably has to be the Cardinals (if not, I’d do just the Steelers and Browns as a pair; if so, the Colts and Cardinals.)

I may work out an alignment later based on an educated guess, but right now I’m pretty tired.

Deleted member 90563

WI: Eintracht Frankfurt is given the penalty shot against Hansa Rostock, for the foul against Yeboah in the penalty box, in May 1992, and then goes on to win the game and therefore the championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
WI: Eintracht Frankfurt is given the penalty shot against Hansa Rostock for the foul against Yeboah in the penalty box in May 1992, and then goes on to win the game and therefore the championship.
They came close to the 1993 championship, too, only 6 points behind the aging champions werder bremen. So, with andy moller staying AND Okocha coming in with yeboah? They probably go back to back.

Speaking of soccer: what if roberto baggio never left fiorentina for juventus and formed a trio with batistuta and rui costa?

What if sampdoria won the champions league in 1992 and won the double in 1994 (with vialli most likely staying if they won the CL)?

What if Valencia won back-to-back champions league in 2000 and 2001?

What if deportivo won back to back la ligas in 1994 and 1995 (a double for the latter)?

what if real zaragosa won la liga in 2000?

What if roma won back toback serie as in 2001 and 2002 and in the late 00s?

What if sevilla won la liga last year?

What if atalanta won serie a and beat PSG in 2020?

What if napoli won serie a in 2016 and 2018?

What if west ham won the league in 1986?

What if ipswitch town won the league in 82?

what if southampton won the league in 84?

What if marseille didnt bribe valenciennes to throw the game?

What if aston villa won the league in 1990?

What if newcastle did beat them in 96?

What if fergie lost the FA cup tie against forrest in 90 and gets sacked?

What if real sociedad won la liga in 2003?

What if chelsea won the PL in 1999?

What if tottenham won the PL in 2017?

What if Roma won in 81 and did thetreble in 84? (i know it was tainted, but still...)?

What if fiorentina won serie A in 82?

What if QPR won in 76?

What if Man City won in 77?

What if Leeds won the champions league in 2001?

What if kaiserslautern won the buli in 94?

What if freiburg won in 95?

What if leverkusen won 97,00 and the treble in 2002?

What if schalke won the double in 2001 and the buli in 2010?

What if wolfsburg won the buli in 2015?

What if Qatar never bought PSG?

What if RCLens won 2002 ligue 1?

What if Auxerre won 2003 ligue 1?

What if bordeaux won ligue 1 in 2008?

What if marseille went back-to-back in 09 and 10 and didnt choke 2014 2015?

Insulting Bidwill? How did he do that?
The compromise was they would co own the Dallas cardinals and bidwill would slowly sell the majority shares once the new stadium in Dallas ( they intended to nest in the Cotton bowl on the meanwhile) is done when co financed by hunt and Dallas but seems hunt wanted everything at once and that infuriated bidwill ( that wanted to remain a minority owner for the rest of his life) and the deal collapse. Only if Lamar was more patient. That and bidwill hated the name Texans and refuse to sell if the team was renamed too

If Eli Manning stayed with the Chargers and didn’t get traded to the Giants during the 2004 Draft I figure that they would trade Drew Brees.
Just like what the Cardinals did with OTL in 2019 with Josh Rosen.

I can see him getting shipped off to a team that could of been very well a Super Bowl contender for awhile if they had the right quarterback such as Carolina.

I’m gonna say Eli stays in San Diego gets drafted they send Brees to Carolina for 1st and 3rd round back in 2005. Delhomme is a league wide career backup for the rest of the career and he does it for almost 20 seasons (Think Josh McCown)

Phillip Rivers goes to the Steelers while Big Ben ends up staying in Ohio and gets drafted by the Browns. The Giants take Sean Taylor instead of Phillip Rivers and they take Luke McCown later on in the draft.

Doug Flutie starts out the season for the Chargers until week 4 until Eli Manning takes over same thing with Phillip Rivers and Tommy Maddox in Pittsburgh.

Mostly the same results for the Chargers and Giants as in OTL the Steelers actually lose to the Jets and the AFC Championship once again is the Colts vs Patriots and the Pats still win the AFC again but the Panthers end up having a better season in 2004 and they win the NFC again and they get their revenge in Super Bowl 39 against the Patriots to win their first Super Bowl in franchise history thanks to Drew Brees.

The Giants end up signing Jeff Garcia in the 2005 off season as they still let go Kurt Warner and Garcia ends up spending a few seasons like with the Buccaneers OTL as their starting QB.

The Patriots end up winning Super Bowl 40 against the Seahawks by the way.

can see him getting shipped off to a team that could of been very well a Super Bowl contender for awhile if they had the right quarterback such as Carolina.
Delhomme come Short of a Superbowl, as mentioned before, Brees needed teams would be ravens, cards,browns, cowboys and raiders.

Arcoci already have a plan B, big Ben, the browns wanted rivers

The compromise was they would co own the Dallas cardinals and bidwill would slowly sell the majority shares once the new stadium in Dallas ( they intended to nest in the Cotton bowl on the meanwhile) is done when co financed by hunt and Dallas but seems hunt wanted everything at once and that infuriated bidwill ( that wanted to remain a minority owner for the rest of his life) and the deal collapse. Only if Lamar was more patient. That and bidwill hated the name Texans and refuse to sell if the team was renamed too
Really? I never heard all of that. A more patient Lamar Hunt would have changed the history of the NFL and Pro Football.

Arcoci already have a plan B, big Ben, the browns wanted rivers
Definitely.

Really? I never heard all of that. A more patient Lamar Hunt would have changed the history of the NFL and Pro Football.
Cardinals are involved in a lot of NFL shaping events(backing Halas in revenue sharing, Hunt, they getting cold feet to move to Indy, they almost moving to LA,etc) the birds are vital for NFL existence,
Definitely
Yeah, Meaning the Steelers would ride with their 3 QB OTL if all get hurt as OTL....well them unless they took JP losman(most unfortunate name ever) as a project

Cardinals are involved in a lot of NFL shaping events(backing Halas in revenue sharing, Hunt, they getting cold feet to move to Indy, they almost moving to LA,etc) the birds are vital for NFL existence,
Makes me wonder (Since this is the first time hearing this about the team) where the NFL would be without the Cardinals or them staying in Chicago or going elsewhere than St. Louis or Arizona.

Maybe they would have folded after the 1940s (or maybe before thanks to WWII). Or they would stay around in Chicago after a massive fan support rally kept the team from relocating to St. Louis or Arizona or even Los Angeles. The NFL Cardinals are like the USFL Breakers in a way but with more history to them.

Yeah, Meaning the Steelers would ride with their 3 QB OTL if all get hurt as OTL....well them unless they took JP losman(most unfortunate name ever) as a project
Actually, if Ben wasn't there, Cowher wanted OL Shawn Andrews. They were ready to take him in OTL, but one of the Rooney's (I think it was Dan) reminded them of the time they passed on Marino, and they changed their mind (lucky for them).

Actually, if Ben wasn't there, Cowher wanted OL Shawn Andrews. They were ready to take him in OTL, but one of the Rooney's (I think it was Dan) reminded them of the time they passed on Marino, and they changed their mind (lucky for them).
Yeah and Browns didn't like Ben at all for what I remember, maybe Shawn Andrews save Tommy Maddox from Injury?

Yeah and Browns didn't like Ben at all for what I remember, maybe Shawn Andrews save Tommy Maddox from Injury?

I don't know. If he can beat out Oliver Ross for the RT job, he may have.

That may not be that good of a thing for the Steelers, though. I see them struggling with Maddox in 2004. Maybe Brian St. Pierre (Walter Cherepinsky of Walter Football said in 2003 that he would be the Steeler QB of the future) would get a chance, and when he fails, they probably take A-Rod in 2005.

We do quite a few what ifs about Namath and the Superbowl or going to the affl but I just read one about college I read about on mlb.com.

Along with highly considering baseball, as many did back then, he had a letter of intent to the University of Maryland but held out because he wanted baseball.

Suppose he decides that his best option is to go to Maryland and that maybe he can play baseball there also as well as quarterback.

Presuming he is good enough to start by his sophomore year, Maryland lost a couple close games that year. And well their starting quarterback completion percentage was very good for that era, almost 60%, their starter threw for touchdowns and 16 interceptions. Ouch!

So instead of 6 and 4 they could easily be 8 and 2, I don't know if that's good enough for a bowl in those days but if they won the ACC it would be. Especially if they take all three of their really close games to go 9 and 1.

1963 though, I only see one, maybe two games clearly winnable with a really good quarterback, considering there weren't huge passing offenses in those days.

The ironic thing is, he held out and didn't go to Maryland right away because he wanted baseball, but had he gone to Maryland, after his junior year he might have improved more in baseball and had his stock go up where is that bad football season might have made him decide to give up on football. He can always go back and get his degree in the off-seasons.

But, supposing he goes back for his senior year. Bernard timeline their starter had a much better touchdown-to-interception rate, 5 to 7, but the completion percentage was awful. Hard time lines 5 and 5 can easily be 7 and 3 with a home win against Wake Forest and a one-point loss on the roads turned into a win. I don't think they can go 10-0, but if they go nine and one and he wins that game Maryland's lost 13 32 a very good Oklahoma team, that would be a signature win enough that he might get enough recognition to go high in the draft, though I don't know how high.

Would he still be picked by the Jets? They needed a quarterback and I can see them taking a chance if he does really well his senior season with the number one pick. Since he loved the allure of the big city I can see him taking the NFL anyway.

Probably Arkansas is the number one team in 1964 instead of Alabama.

So, maybe it wouldn't have changed as much but I don't know. I guess it all depends on how he did his senior season or if he left after his junior year. But one interesting factor is the MLB draft. It began in 1965 the year he came out of college. So part might depend on who would draft him, and then if he is close to playing football he might not be drafted. But then, maybe decides 3 years is enough in school and signed with a major league baseball team in 1964 anyway.

Thoughts?

Mike Brown will hold a wild amount of draft picks...and still somehow squander them. He will prioritize a QB above anything, so Cade McNown and Shaun King (barring a dramatic fall of Daunte Culpepper) are up for grabs.

Given that most reports cite his daughter Katie as the decider of the Bengals we have today, I highly doubt the Bengals would utilize those picks apart from a Middle QB and, maybe, a defensive line

What if the Bengals accepted the Saints’ trade offer in 1999? https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/12/...ngals-trade-saints-ricky-williams-akili-smithWell, rather
Mike Brown will hold a wild amount of draft picks...and still somehow squander them. He will prioritize a QB above anything, so Cade McNown and Shaun King (barring a dramatic fall of Daunte Culpepper) are up for grabs.

Given that most reports cite his daughter Katie as the decider of the Bengals we have today, I highly doubt the Bengals would utilize those picks apart from a Middle QB and, maybe, a defensive line
Even them, not having the Human WTF of Akilil Smith is a massive improvement, they could be in the run for Vick in 01, or get Palmer more weapons in 03.