Sports What Ifs.

I heard that Barry almost went to Tennessee in the early-70's as well. If he is there by 1977, maybe Johnny Majors stays at Pitt. Also, here are some more "what ifs":

What if Bear Bryant took the Dolphin job in 1970?
What if K-State didn't hire Snyder in 1988?
If Bryant coaches the Dolphins I feel like he might flame out by 73 and maybe he returns to Kentucky to coach the Wildcats, who actually were decent to good in the 70s. Not sure who’d be in line to coach Bama but they might have a brief “down period” like they did after Bryant retired. Granted maybe Gene Stallings comes in from A&M.

As for Snyder and K-State, I think Snyder himself would be successful most anyplace, as Fry had a murders row of assistants at Iowa. He might get the Wisconsin job or the Northwestern job or the Mizzou job as those were open in the late 80s and early 90s. As for Kansas State itself, they probably stay as futility U unless they find a good coach to come. Also given that their basketball program kind of fell off a bit in the 90s and early 2000s ( they were never quite a power like Kansas, but did have some great teams and players) they might not be asked into the Big 12 or get replaced by another team like Colorado State or New Mexico or maybe they just don’t invite Baylor and leave it at 10 ( not sure what you’d call that league.) I don’t know how much KU cares about the cats as Mizzou is their bigger rival and they might just end up in the Mountain West or C-USA and continue to founder. However I’d think they’d be kept in the Big 8/12 if only for being an original Big 6 member. You don’t have original members kicked out that often.

KSU was one of the worst programs in the history of the sport before Snyder took over; they’d probably have continued to be a long term bottom feeder
Probably. I heard that Jack Bicknell of BC was also being looked at, but I don't see him performing the task that Snyder did. Bill had a chip on his shoulder, and he was totally dedicated, turning down offers from other schools.

This documentary talks about the early days of the K-State football turnaround:

Here's an interesting WI: WI the Cowboys draft Dan Marino with the 23rd pick in the 1983 NFL draft?
Unless Danny White got hit by a car previously the Draft...they already have Danny White. Plus if the Cowboys wanted a QB, they would offer a package of White+Picks for the bigger Prize of the Draft...Elway

Here's an interesting WI: WI the Cowboys draft Dan Marino with the 23rd pick in the 1983 NFL draft?
That would have been great for them. Unfortunately, I don't think they were interested. The drug rumors (real or not) scared off a lot of teams. Pitt coach Foge Fazio said that Shula was the only coach that called him about Marino. Also, the only other GM's that would have drafted Marino were Ernie Accorsi (if he could have made an appropriate trade), Bills GM Norm Pollom (he had Marino as his third-rated QB after Elway and Kelly), and Redskin GM Bobby Beathard (he said that he would have drafted Marino if he would have fell to them at 28).

That would have been great for them. Unfortunately, I don't think they were interested. The drug rumors (real or not) scared off a lot of teams. Pitt coach Foge Fazio said that Shula was the only coach that called him about Marino. Also, the only other GM's that would have drafted Marino were Ernie Accorsi (if he could have made an appropriate trade), Bills GM Norm Pollom (he had Marino as his third-rated QB after Elway and Kelly), and Redskin GM Bobby Beathard (he said that he would have drafted Marino if he would have fell to them at 28).
It’s remarkable that the one franchise most interested in a QB with an allegedly severe drug problem is based in the city famed for absolutely not having a drug culture in the 1980s, mmhmm

Better Question What If the Steelers Drafted Marino
They might beat the cowboys in SB XXX but before it wouldn't be easy, Bradshaw brain and body give up were the least of Steelers issue plus quick release or not, Steelers defense collapse and that o-line is going to hurt Marino but later on he could late bloom.

Jets on the other hand... Marino and NYSE could derail elway early Career

2004 NFL Draft WI: WI the Chargers, remembering John Elway's refusal to play for the Colts if they drafted him in 1983, take Eli Manning's threat seriously and decide to draft Larry Fitzgerald instead?

2004 NFL Draft WI: WI the Chargers, remembering John Elway's refusal to play for the Colts if they drafted him in 1983, take Eli Manning's threat seriously and decide to draft Larry Fitzgerald instead?
That means the Giants either trade up with the raiders or took Ben Roethlisberger at 4, as Eli ain't passing out the #3 pick, as raiders were all in with Rich Gannon, rivers is took by the browns as the browns wanted

The Cards become a key player for Eli and could probably take him, regardless of Eli's intentions while the Giants, whom were slightly keen on Big Ben, take him fourth overall, leaving the Browns and Steelers to fight over who gets Rivers.

Long term, I wonder if Big Ben's assault issues gets a bigger limelight being a Giant instead of a Steeler. Also, Brees probably sticks around in San Diego and has a winning shot at a SB, leaving the Chargers with a potential retention in the city

The Cards become a key player for Eli and could probably take him, regardless of Eli's intentions while the Giants, whom were slightly keen on Big Ben, take him fourth overall, leaving the Browns and Steelers to fight over who gets Rivers.
I think the Browns take Rivers. They were way higher on him than they were Ben. Then, the Steelers would have drafted Shawn Andrews at 11.

Calipari and Pitino had an interesting history:

Apparently, in 1996, Pitino turned down the job with the Nets, and Calipari took it. The next year, Pitino took the Celtics job out from under Larry Brown, who was all set to take it.

WI the 2003 Oakland Raiders, instead of winning in week 4 against the San Diego Chargers, lose to the Chargers instead? This means that they go 3-13 and they have the #1 pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

Who do they draft with the #1 pick? Do they draft Eli, Larry, or even safety Sean Taylor (the Raiders did need help on defense)? (1)

(1) If they draft Taylor, maybe this butterflies away his tragic 2007 death...

Who do they draft with the #1 pick? Do they draft Eli, Larry, or even safety Sean Taylor (the Raiders did need help on defense)? (1)
If Gannon decide to retires, is either Eli or Big Ben, Eli for the potential, Big ben for his strong arm will make Al Davis squee

Apologies in advance if any of these have been speculated on. I come back to this thread, and have pondered several of the questions posed within but have never really responded. I should change that.

1. What if The NY baseball Giants beat the Dodgers to moving west, but land in Minneapolis instead. What becomes of the Dodgers? (assume all other moves around this time still happen, so Braves to Milwaukee, Athletics to KC, and Browns to Baltimore). The things that I question because of this are does the NL allow the Dodgers to move to California without a partner, if so does it drive early NL expansion, if not does it allow the PCL which was open classification at that time to actually move to Major status, if not California where do the Dodgers land.
  2. What if Minnesota doesn't back out of the AFL (I am sure whole books could be written on this one).
  3. What if Pele doesn't sign with the Cosmos?
  4. What if the 1-A / 1-AA split never happens?
  5. What if Denver doesn't back out of hosting the 1976 Winter Olympics?

Apologies in advance if any of these have been speculated on. I come back to this thread, and have pondered several of the questions posed within but have never really responded. I should change that.

1. What if The NY baseball Giants beat the Dodgers to moving west, but land in Minneapolis instead. What becomes of the Dodgers? (assume all other moves around this time still happen, so Braves to Milwaukee, Athletics to KC, and Browns to Baltimore). The things that I question because of this are does the NL allow the Dodgers to move to California without a partner, if so does it drive early NL expansion, if not does it allow the PCL which was open classification at that time to actually move to Major status, if not California where do the Dodgers land.
  2. What if Minnesota doesn't back out of the AFL (I am sure whole books could be written on this one).
  3. What if Pele doesn't sign with the Cosmos?
  4. What if the 1-A / 1-AA split never happens?
  5. What if Denver doesn't back out of hosting the 1976 Winter Olympics?
Number two would be a weird case. If the AFL kept the Minnesota Vikings (or whatever they would call themselves?) It could be argued that the NFL would put a team in another city near an AFL team? Though I lack info and context to this so anyone wants to add your ideas to this that would be great.

NASL without Pele means that the league would fold by 1975-76. Soccer wasn't profitable at all by this point so if the NY Cosmos failed to grab Pele then it would be damning to the Soccer future in America.

And if the 1-A/1-AA split never happened then that would be a weird AU story for the NCAA in general. Would like to see how it plays out. And on the first question. Personally, the Giants should relocate have Minnesota or Milwaukee and kept the Giant's naming there. The Dodges maybe stay put if demand was there. No Mets so a win there (Sorry Mets Fans...) but my view on this would be if the PCL became a major league and joined as a third league along with the AL and NL or merged with the other two. *sigh*

Personally, the MLB should have helped the Pacific Coast League and joined the majors. damn shame.