South Africa: The Other Cradle of Civilization

This.

So to summarize, the problems with a "more civilized" South Africa is that they'd be too isolated to develop the same variety of crops and cattle and technologies as seen in Europe or Asia. On ther other side, the Phoenicians would only make it to Gaboon.

This. Southern Africa was way too remote. It'll do well OTL, assuming that the ANC youth league doesn't do well.

I have been hypothesizing a possible Cape Khoisan civilization relegated mainly to the Western and eastern Capes. It would rely on sparrows bringing undigested wheat and flax seeds to Modern Cape town, pooping the seeds out, and then allowing them to spread. They [the Khoisan Civilization] would develop similarly to North american civilizations or New Guinea in the absence of domesticates. Most likely there would be two stages of growth or so before the Bantu invasions.

1. The first stage would be the discovery of agriculture. This would cause a population explosion within the Cape Khoi until it plateaus once the resources of the marginal area of the Mediterranean area in South Africa are used up.

2. The second population explosion would occur when the eastern parts of the western cape are tamed, allowing the population to spread out eastwards. they would also begin to settle in the eastern cape but dry climate would make any expansion more difficult.

Once the Bantu come, everything changes. They have sorghum, iron, and cattle. Once the 'dark age' from their arrival and disruption of the native population ends, it is assumed they will allow a much larger diversification of the society. Cattle would allow ploughs and easier farming, increasing yields, and subsequently, population. With the collapse of urban life with the arrival of the Bantu, many may take these new-found cattle to the Great Karoo, Natal, and the highveld, where they can be put to better use. Parts of Natal and the eastern cape could now be harvested with Sorghum(though Grain's different growing cycles would not permit it's growth beyond the subtropical line).

It is expected that such areas as the Highveld will become analogous with Zimbabwe in regards to wealth with stratified societies able to mine out the gold in significant quantities.

I have been hypothesizing a possible Cape Khoisan civilization relegated mainly to the Western and eastern Capes. It would rely on sparrows bringing undigested wheat and flax seeds to Modern Cape town, pooping the seeds out, and then allowing them to spread. They [the Khoisan Civilization] would develop similarly to North american civilizations or New Guinea in the absence of domesticates. Most likely there would be two stages of growth or so before the Bantu invasions.

1. The first stage would be the discovery of agriculture. This would cause a population explosion within the Cape Khoi until it plateaus once the resources of the marginal area of the Mediterranean area in South Africa are used up.

2. The second population explosion would occur when the eastern parts of the western cape are tamed, allowing the population to spread out eastwards. they would also begin to settle in the eastern cape but dry climate would make any expansion more difficult.

Once the Bantu come, everything changes. They have sorghum, iron, and cattle. Once the 'dark age' from their arrival and disruption of the native population ends, it is assumed they will allow a much larger diversification of the society. Cattle would allow ploughs and easier farming, increasing yields, and subsequently, population. With the collapse of urban life with the arrival of the Bantu, many may take these new-found cattle to the Great Karoo, Natal, and the highveld, where they can be put to better use. Parts of Natal and the eastern cape could now be harvested with Sorghum(though Grain's different growing cycles would not permit it's growth beyond the subtropical line).

It is expected that such areas as the Highveld will become analogous with Zimbabwe in regards to wealth with stratified societies able to mine out the gold in significant quantities.

That might work. But don't make the mistake of uniting the Bantu, there would be a shitload of different tribes existing in completely different areas. Also, don't forget that only the edge of South Africa is European in climate, the interior is veld and savannah.

That might work. But don't make the mistake of uniting the Bantu, there would be a shitload of different tribes existing in completely different areas. Also, don't forget that only the edge of South Africa is European in climate, the interior is veld and savannah.

I know, I was simply uniting them as a monolithic group on entry to South Africa. Even then they wouldn't be one and would later diversify. The Highveld cultures would get rich off gold and the like, while peoples within the Great karoo would be pastoralists by nature. Natal would also probably be dominated by Pastoralists, though perhaps Sorghum can grow in greater quantities there?

Bollucks. This website shows what traditional african clothing in South Africa was like, you'll see that the basotho wore clothes, and if you search traditional Shona and Kalanga clothing you'll see they were clothes as well.

According to this website, Basotho blankets came from contact with the Europeans. This makes sense as Southern Africans had no fiber crop, and the Basotho were quick to pick up other European ways, like horse riding.

http://www.malealea.co.ls/basotho-culture/basotho-blankets.html

Maybe, though I'm skeptical about how well it would grow in most of South Africa.

It's grown there now, so it can be done.

According to this website, Basotho blankets came from contact with the Europeans. This makes sense as Southern Africans had no fiber crop, and the Basotho were quick to pick up other European ways, like horse riding.

http://www.malealea.co.ls/basotho-culture/basotho-blankets.html

one seventeenth century visitor to southern African empire of Monomotapa, that ruled over this vast region, wrote that: “The people dress in various ways: at court of the Kings their grandees wear cloths of rich silk, damask, satin, gold and silk cloth; these are three widths of satin, each width four covados [2.64m], each sewn to the next, sometimes with gold lace in between, trimmed on two sides, like a carpet, with a gold and silk fringe, sewn in place with a two fingers’ wide ribbon, woven with gold roses on silk.”

Well it's good to be the king. But what the royals wore don't have any bearing on the how the natives are seen by the Europeans. Obviously the silk was imported, and out of reach for the common folks.

Don't give up on that so easily. Let me pipe up for the Ostrich as a Domesticate. Ostriches are large birds, up to 200 to 300 lbs. They reach sexual maturity at two to four years of age, with females maturing six months earlier than males. They lay a dozen or more eggs at a time. Proportionately, although Ostriches lay the biggest eggs, their eggs are actually small for their size. They're fairly broad eaters, and quite social. Now, the thing is, most Ostrich species seem to be undomesticateable. With the exception of the Southern Ostrich, which was readily domesticated in the 19th century.

Ostriches would make an interesting big domesticate. Definitely they're meat animals, they produce and could potentially produce eggs in quantity, they've got leather and feathers, all of which are exploited in current domestication.

As far as a labour animal, I'd say that they'd probably make pretty good pack animals, along the level of Llamas. They might or might not make draft animals for hauling loads by travois or carts, but you'd probably have to have teams of them for any significant cart load, which probably puts it in the later stage of civilization. They can be ridden, but I'd probably put them down as pretty unreliable and difficult riding mounts with little staying power.

As a working animal, their horsepower would be an order of magnitude below those of the big guns - Horses, Oxen, Water Buffalo, Camels. But probably comparable to smaller draft animals - Llamas, Goats, Dogs, Pigs.

If there are better options, they'd make inroads pretty quickly. But I could see a South African civilization with no other options domesticating Ostrich as a labour/food beast. Given immunity to the TseTse fly, a civilzation which had mastered Ostrich labour might well have expansion opportunities north in zones where mammalian domesticates just wouldn't work.

A civilization that had a martial tradition of Ostrich cavalry would be pretty frigging awesome.

Last edited:
if we can assume that S. Africa has some kind of native cereal crop plant and thus, a more advanced level of civilization is founded there, how hard would it be to get domesticated animals there from elsewhere? How far back did the African/Indian/Chinese trade network go? To be sure, in OTL, the trade network never went to the Meditteranean-climate part of S. Africa, but there was nothing there to draw traders. In this TL, I think we could assume that there would be villages and cities... could traders bring cows and goats to S. Africa? It wouldn't be a 'cradle of civilization', rather a later starting one...

How far back did the African/Indian/Chinese trade network go? To be sure, in OTL, the trade network never went to the Meditteranean-climate part of S. Africa, but there was nothing there to draw traders.

Went back to Mapungubwe so about 1200AD.

Went back to Mapungubwe so about 1200AD.

well, that's way too late to do any good. Would it be possible for S. Africa to get domestic animals just by way of trading in Africa itself? In OTL, there were just stone-age Khoi tribes there, nothing to cause any real trading between them and the tropical parts to the north. In this scenario, presuming there are villages and cities in SA, thanks to the presence of a native cereal plant, could domestic animals arrive via just the general trading that went on, cows and goats making their way south little by little?

well, that's way too late to do any good. Would it be possible for S. Africa to get domestic animals just by way of trading in Africa itself? In OTL, there were just stone-age Khoi tribes there, nothing to cause any real trading between them and the tropical parts to the north. In this scenario, presuming there are villages and cities in SA, thanks to the presence of a native cereal plant, could domestic animals arrive via just the general trading that went on, cows and goats making their way south little by little?

The mining of diamonds and gold could constitute active trade, yes. The only problem being, of course that they find a competitor in the latter in the form of Zimbabwe.

I think someone once suggested that domestication of water lillies could be a South African staple. Let's not go overboard on the necessity of cereal crops. The Andean civilization, for instance developed the Sweet Potato as a staple. A North American staple from the Mississippi valley, Potatoes, produces more food per acre than rice and grows in far more difficult conditions. The polynesian cultures were not rice or cereal cultivators, but had their own tropical agricultural package.

South Africa actually does have an impressive biodiversity. More than 20,000 plants, or roughly 10% of all the world's plant species. It's ranked sixth out of the seventeen megadiverse countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa#Flora_and_fauna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Floral_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_of_South_Africa

There's a profusion of plants, some of which may with a bit of tinkering be a foundation for a staple crop/agricultural package. The Kei Apple, for instance has excellent potential for being part of an agricultural package. The diversity of the fauna, however, suggests that once a basic establishment of horticulture or agriculture establishes itself, we might see a profusion of domestications and a complex array of micropackages. 10% of the plant species biodiversity of the frikking planet!!!

There are also a number of medicinal or recreational plant products which might make valuable trade goods. Look up the Kola Nut, among other items.

Actually, South Africa's extreme biodiversity, while offering the potential for an agricultural package, may be a handicap. It implies a varied geography and climactic area, a lack of broad stable fertile area that might sustain an agricultural complex.

Overall, South Africa has more than sufficient square miles compared to the surface areas of Egypt, Mespotamia, the Yucatan, the Indus, and other similar founding civilizations. The question is, within the territory of South Africa, is there a sufficient region of predictability and uniformity to sustain the development of an adequate agricultural complex.

I'm still rooting for the Ostrich as a primary domesticate. They were an easy domesticate OTL, being rapidly domesticated by English settlers in the 19th century, and the South African variety is now classified as a modern domesticate. It fits all the key criteria for ready domestication. I really do think that there is potential there for a domesticate with a variety of uses - pack animal, meat, eggs, feathers, leather, limited draft, limited riding. It's directly comparable to the Llama, perhaps a bit better.

There's a couple of other candidates for domestication. There's a social antelope with a dominance structure, the Gemsbok which might make an effective domesticate. Probably not much of a draft animal, but meat and wool. The existing behavioural structure offers the possibility of humans co-opting it and domesticating it.

The other is the Cape Buffalo. It's big, mean and dangerous. On the other hand, it's cousin, the South East Asian Water Buffalo was a successful domesticate. So this means that it's vaguely within the realm of possibility, although perhaps not extremely likely. Still, a highly organized culture which had mastered Ostrich and Gemsbok domestication might well be able to make the leap for added horsepower.

The Khoi-San culture is a fascinating one, and one which due to their persistence as hunter gatherers ended up as roadkill on the Bantu Expansion highway. It would be fascinating to see a Khoi-San culture evolve agriculture and develop the strength and resilience to push back against the Bantu.

Really, I'm rooting for this timeline. I think that there's potential for something strange and wonderful.

The mining of diamonds and gold could constitute active trade, yes. The only problem being, of course that they find a competitor in the latter in the form of Zimbabwe.

The most likely trade goods are biological. Spices, narcotics, opiates, stimulants, incenses, etc. Possibly highly refined biologicals, like silks or wools.

I went through Lost Crops of Africa again. So many of them are West African or Ethiopian in origin. However I did find two very promising ones for south Africa.

The Baobab tree, specifically the species Adansonia digitata is native to central Africa, but it's southern range extends to Namibia. The fruit is nutritious, high in Vitamin C. A fiber can be made from the bark. This can be woven into textile, though it is a very coarse material.

The Marama bean, aka Tylosema esculentum. A legume native to South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. It's a wild plant eaten by the people of the Kalahari, but never truly domesticated. Not only is the bean edible but the root is also a large edible tuber.

Of course there is also rooibos. Not a food but as a tea alternative it's a potential trade commodity.

It' not a lot to work with, but more than what the farmers of New Guinea had.

For the Marama bean

http://desertification.wordpress.co...n-gold-of-africa-la-vida-locavore-worldwatch/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylosema_esculentum

http://cordis.europa.eu/search/index.cfm?fuseaction=proj.document&PJ_RCN=4947564

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4254962

Highlights:

Above ground it produces seeds similar to the peanut or soybean, but is actually higher in nutritional value than either; below ground it produces a high-protein tuber that is bigger and healthier than potatoes, yams or sugar beets. And to top it off, the planet can also generate a high quality vegetable oil.

Native to the Kalahari Desert across Botswana, Namibia and South Africa, marama has been a part of the diet of the indigenous people in the area for the generations. And yet, it has not been introduced into wide range cultivation and remains one of the most neglected indigenous vegetables in Africa.

Nutritious beans and tubers aren’t the only benefits. The plant thrives in the poor quality, sandy soil of the desert, withstanding blistering summer temperatures, freezing nights of the Kalahari winters, and highly erratic – and often absent – rainfall. While marama seeds are virtually inedible straight from the pod, they are delicious once they harden and are often roasted, compared to the nutty flavor of cashew nuts. In addition to the oil that can be produced from the seeds, the plant is particularly good fodder for livestock.

Overall, very impressive. A tough hardy species with potential for widespread cultivation, and whose growth traits would benefit from formal cultivation. It's easy to see this as a founder or staple crop. Given a few centuries or a millenia of intensive breeding, I could see a biological powerhouse.

One collateral is that in addition to the beans and tuber the plant makes good fodder for livestock. So there's a collateral benefit there.

I note that there's current research on the way to domesticate and grow the plant commercially, even in places like Texas.

I'm not nearly as well versed on the economics and sociology of plant domestication as for animal domestication. Is there any literature as to how or why a plant makes the transition from an edible wild plant to a staple domesticate?

It strikes me that the plant is native to what we now see as the territory of the Khoi-San, but was probably historically their backwater and their harshest landscape. In short, it's probably located in the least likely area for the development of agriculture. So if it is domesticated, it would likely be a second wave domesticate. ie, the sort of plant that gets domesticated after agriculture or at least horticulture has caught on.

I could imagine some of the Khoi-San becoming horticulturalists or minor agriculturalists, domesticating a suite of plants, until they stumble onto the Mamara which provokes a revolution. So yes, definite potential.

I'm inclined to suspect that there's more than is catalogued in tallwingedgoat. Reference works of this sort often tend to be regionally biased. South Africa's biodiversity is immense, and unlike West Africa or Ethiopia, there wasn't the long agricultural tradition that would have systematically identified exploitable plants. So, there's scope.

I've mentioned the Kei Apples. Here's the reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovyalis_caffra

Dovyalis caffra Warb., the Umkokola, or Kei apple, is a small to medium-sized tree, native to southern Africa. Its distribution extends from the Kei River in the south, from which the common name derives, northwards along the eastern side of the continent to Tanzania. The ripe fruits are tasty, reminiscent of a small apple.

It is a usually found in dry types of woodland when it grows to 6 m tall. In moister types of open woodland it reaches its greatest size of about 8-9 metres. It is a rather straggly tree, with sharp, 3-6 cm long stem spines in the leaf axils.

The fruit is an edible bright yellow or orange globose berry 2.5-4 cm diameter, with the skin and flesh of a uniform colour and containing several small seeds. Production is often copious, weighing down the branches during the summer. They are juicy, tasty and acidic.

A traditional food plant in Africa, this little-known fruit has potential to improve nutrition, boost food security, foster rural development and support sustainable landcare.[1]

Kei-apples are often eaten fresh, or sprinkled with sugar to complement their natural acidity. Aside from being eaten fresh, the fruit can be made into jam, and is also popular pickled or used in desserts.

Although it is native to Africa, it has also been introduced to the Mediterranean, California, Florida and other regions with subtropical and warm temperate climates. In these places it is most often grown as an ornamental plant, being popular as an impenetrable hedge. It is salt- and drought-tolerant, so useful for coastal landscaping in dry regions.
Although a subtropical species, the Kei apple is able to survive temperatures as low as −6°C.

As for Baobab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baobab

Since 2008, there has been increasing interest for developing baobab as a nutrient-rich raw material for consumer products.[7][8]

The leaves are commonly used as a leaf vegetable throughout the area of mainland African distribution, including Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and the Sahel. They are eaten both fresh and as a dry powder. In Nigeria, the leaves are locally known as kuka, and are used to make kuka soup.[9][unreliable source?]

The fruit is nutritious, possibly having more vitamin C than oranges, and exceeding the calcium content of cow's milk.[10] The dry fruit pulp, separated from seeds and fibers, is eaten directly or mixed into porridge or milk, and is also known as "sour gourd" or "monkey's bread". In Malawi, the fruit pulp is used to make a nutrient-rich juice.[10] In Zimbabwe, the fruit is known as mawuyu in the Shona language and has long been a traditional fruit. In the coastal areas of Kenya, baobab seeds, called mbuyu, are cooked with sugar, colored, and sold as a snack.[citation needed] Mabuyu is also the term used in Tanzania for seeds of the calabash gourd, which are prepared in a similar fashion.

The fruit can be used to produce cream of tartar.[11] In various parts of East Africa, the dry fruit pulp is covered in sugary coating (usually with red coloring) and sold in packages as a sweet and sour candy called umbuyu.
The seeds are mostly used as a thickener for soups, but may also be fermented into a seasoning, roasted for direct consumption, or pounded to extract vegetable oil. The tree also provides a source of fiber, dye, and fuel.

The dry pulp is either eaten fresh or used to add to gruels on cooling after cooking – a good way of preserving the vitamin contents. It can also be ground to make a refreshing drink with a pleasing wine-gum flavour. In Tanzania, it is added to aid fermentation of sugar cane for beer making.[12]
Pulp can be stored for fairly long periods for use in soft drink production, but it needs airtight containers. Storage is improved by the use of sodium metabisulphite (Ibiyemi et al., 1988). It can also be frozen if ground to a powder.

Indigenous Australians used baobabs as a source of water and food, and used leaves medicinally. They also painted and carved the outside of the fruits and wore them as ornaments. A very large, hollow baobab south of Derby, Western Australia was used in the 1890s as a prison for Aboriginal convicts on their way to Derby for sentencing. The Boab Prison Tree still stands and is now a tourist attraction.

Pepsi Japan has used baobabs in a limited-edition carbonated soda called

Baobab Pepsi that is described as having a citrus taste.[13]

The whole fruit of the baobab is not available in the EU, as current EU legislation from 1997 dictates that foods not commonly consumed in the EU have to be formally approved before going on sale. On 15 July 2008, the EU authorized the use of baobab dried fruit pulp as a food ingredient in smoothies and cereal bars.[14] More recently, Baobab Dried Fruit Pulp achieved GRAS status for these same food uses.[15]

Traditional uses of the whole fruit are unlikely outside of Africa, as the fruit will be processed for export as a white powder with a cheese-like texture to be used as an ingredient in products.[10]

So there goes. As far as Baobab and Kei goes, I'm not really conversant with Silviculture, so I can't map the cultural development very well.