(Sort of) a TLIAW: 1485 - Stanley's Dilemma

Day of Days - Part III
22nd August 1485

This was intolerable. Blasted Percy was just sitting there! If he had decided to turn against Richard, it was a rather weak way of doing it. The man could doom both Stanley and Richard by riding down into Norfolk’s men, delivering a coup-de-grace on the field, and the crown to Tudor. But he didn’t. He just sat, like a lump of stone in a suit of armour. He was simply prolonging the agony of all, for some reason known only to one Lord Percy. If any Percy’s mind could deduce a reason for half of its owner's actions that is.

The situation on the valley floor was becoming clearer. Norfolk had managed to disengage and stabilise his men. It was testament to the skills of both men that they had stood so long. It was also testament to the fact that nobody else was moving. Somebody had to do something, or Stanley would look like an imbecile. In fact, he would look worse. He would look like Percy. Treacherous, indecisive, and possibly even cowardly.

Then, before his very eyes. Somebody did something.

Tudor and a small retinue began riding away from the main force. To be precise, they appeared to be heading towards Stanley’s own position. As if in answer, a trumpet sounded on the hilltop. Richard’s cavalry streamed down the hill. Only a couple of hundred, it seemed. Whatever had happened up on that hilltop, Richard had obviously despaired of Percy moving, so had decided to seize this battle by the throat. Tudor’s small force turned to face the new threat. Stanley watched, amazed and appalled in equal measure. It was decisive and bold, of that there could be no doubt. At the same time, had one described it as reckless beyond measure, nobody would have disputed.

Stanley had to move. He was sure he had to. Oxford had realised the danger too. Another force of knights left the lines and raced after Tudor. Richard would arrive first. The situation was grim. If he gave the order to move now, he might arrive too late. His chosen lord and master could have won without him. Worse still, he could find that lord dead, and another triumphant. It had to be now. But he had to watch what was happening. How else could he be sure he’d made the right choice?

He looked across to his brother’s own force. That made his mind up. Even William had realised that the time was nigh. He couldn’t be seen to be following his brother’s lead. He gave the order, and they fell into the trot…

*Author's Note: Apologies if you think I'm dragging this battle out, but this is the penultimate part of the battle. The whole thing came to me as the battle from Stanley's view, so this makes up the vast bulk of the TL. I promise, next update will see good old Lord Stanley pin his trousers to the mast.

I'm not sure anybody's come up with a satisfactory explanation for Northumberland's (in)actions at Bosworth. As you (via Stanley) say, just standing there is an odd way to betray somebody when you could just send your forces into the fray. Just about the only things I can think of to explain it are that Richard didn't order him to do anything (unlikely, since I would think he was experienced enough to not leave a large portion of his forces unengaged and he was certainly doing everything he could to get Stanley involved on his side), cowardice on Percy's part or some obstacle that wasn't obvious to anybody else.

You do a good job depicting Stanley's anger and frustration with Northumberland. I can readily believe that he would be very annoyed over this. Now we come to the crunch; will Stanley do as OTL and side with Tudor? Or will he throw his lot in with Richard? Either way, he won't be trusted but unless he's uncharacteristically backed the wrong side he will be rewarded.

I'm not sure anybody's come up with a satisfactory explanation for Northumberland's (in)actions at Bosworth. As you (via Stanley) say, just standing there is an odd way to betray somebody when you could just send your forces into the fray. Just about the only things I can think of to explain it are that Richard didn't order him to do anything (unlikely, since I would think he was experienced enough to not leave a large portion of his forces unengaged and he was certainly doing everything he could to get Stanley involved on his side), cowardice on Percy's part or some obstacle that wasn't obvious to anybody else.
I've just finished reading By Fire and Sword: The Rise and Fall of English Supremacy at Arms 1314-1485 by Peter Reid. Went into the library to escape a rain shower and saw it. While much of the book is about the Hundred Years War, and fighting the Scots, the last two chapters are on Bosworth. Reid gives Percy an alternative get out, surmising that there might have been a problem with the terrain preventing him from helping Norfolk. The problem with this is, it's hard to prove that when there's still debate over the precise location of the battlefield. One comment by Reid really struck me: for such a pivotal battle, it's woefully recorded. There are all sorts of piffling little skirmishes which have more details written down about them.

You do a good job depicting Stanley's anger and frustration with Northumberland. I can readily believe that he would be very annoyed over this. Now we come to the crunch; will Stanley do as OTL and side with Tudor? Or will he throw his lot in with Richard? Either way, he won't be trusted but unless he's uncharacteristically backed the wrong side he will be rewarded.
Thanks for the praise. It's easy enough to see that Stanley would be pretty concerned by Percy's inaction. He's got a plan, but it only works if others on the battlefield stick to the script. Anybody turns their coat, and the plan starts to look a bit shaky...

I shall try to finish this tonight, one way or the other.

You know how such accounts of the battle as we have seem to have most of the charges and fighting happening on the flanks, with nothing much going on in the centre? At least one source refer to a 'mire' (or marsh) being present, so the explanation for that pattern of fighting might be that the mire blocked the armies' centres off from each other... but Richard, apparently, had a local guide. I suspect that the guide quietly showed him where there was actually a passable but narrow route through the mire, and he got to Henry so easily because Henry had written-off that side as safe and wasn't paying much attention to it, with the narrowness of the route and need for surprise helping to explain why Richard took a relatively small force along for that attack. Not proven, but plausible?

So I found this both suspenseful (dragging out the decision) and annoying (dragging out the decision).

That means a good writer! :D
I'm not into this era much but this was great.

So I found this both suspenseful (dragging out the decision) and annoying (dragging out the decision).

That means a good writer! :D
I'm not into this era much but this was great.

Thanks for the praise. From a writer such as yourself, that means an awful lot! :)

Worry not about the decision. All being well, I'll be able to write that one tonight...

Day of Days - Part IV

22nd August 1485

All the plans, all the schemes, all the messages. All in vain.

It all came down to the speed of a horse, or several hundred of them. Stanley was riding forward, his mind a whirl of calculations. If Tudor took the implied challenge and rode to attack Richard, he'd be in danger of being overwhelmed by the vastly superior numbers. On the other hand, if he attempted to reach the sanctuary of the relief force galloping toward him, Richard would likely take his force in the flank before he made it. Stanley assumed that Tudor was likely running through the same outcomes in his own mind. What would he decide?

With a glance to his right, Stanley realised his brother had started moving too. Another player on the board, but William would arrive when the game was over. His fresh force would be very useful for intimidating all of the survivors though. It would do well for them all to remember who had decided the outcome of the battle. But it all hinged on his own self getting there in time. He spurred his horse to the canter, and heard the rhythm of the hoof-beats change behind him. On the agreed signal, some of his force peeled away to the left, heading towards the larger struggle between the opposing infantry. But that was not where Stanley was headed. He was going to be the man who held a kingdom in his hands, providing he got there when it was still in the balance.

Tudor had decided to stand at bay, or maybe he had been paralysed by indecision. Whichever was the truth, Tudor was waiting for the world to come to him, and they were. Richard would be the first to arrive, and he did at the precise moment Stanley forced his own to troops into the gallop. Immediately Stanley saw the small knot of horsemen scattered to the four winds. Some rode for Oxford, some towards himself, or his brother. Others rode wherever they could, either to avoid Richard's knights, or to defend themselves on better terms.

As soon as Richard's force arrived, Tudor's banner fell. Stanley kicked his horse to a greater speed, hoping against hope that Henry still lived. To have come so far, only for it all to be worthless, would be beyond belief. Just another five hundred yards or so. Oxford's men were closer still though, maybe only fifty. Richard had not regrouped his men to meet this threat. Why not? Were both potential kings already dead? How many more unforeseen happenings could befall one battle?

Last edited:
I really like this! I can't wait to see how it resolves. I've thought a TL about a surviving Yorkist dynasty would be great. The only problem is that Richard III's heir died before the POD.
Nevertheless, good work, I look forward to more.
Scipio

I really like this! I can't wait to see how it resolves. I've thought a TL about a surviving Yorkist dynasty would be great. The only problem is that Richard III's heir died before the POD.
Nevertheless, good work, I look forward to more.
Scipio

No matter how Stanley spins the result - noone is gonna trust him now :D
Thank you for your interest gents. I shall do my utmost to finish this blessed thing tomorrow.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
It is twice blessed. Both in the giving and the receiving.

Both candidates fall leaving Stanley with more to do than he anticipated?

It is twice blessed. Both in the giving and the receiving.

Both candidates fall leaving Stanley with more to do than he anticipated?

Do you mean pick a king or try to become one himself? If the latter, I think he'd have huge difficulties in pulling it off. The former would probably both delight and terrify him.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing exactly what Stanley had planned.

Decision Time

22nd August 1485

The force from sent by Oxford slammed into the mass of men and horses. Who was commanding it? Stanley thought he'd spied Talbot's banner, but only for a second. There were too many other things to consider. Nevertheless, whoever lead was doing a fine job. They'd barrelled into Richard's men while they were still trying to hunt out the few groups of Tudor's retainers trying to fight them off. The unprepared force had been thrown into disarray, and for a few seconds, the scene in front of Stanley was a confused mass of horseflesh. Some dead or dying, many with riders, but a growing number without.

Only four hundred yards to go.

Another glance to his right showed that William was wheeling rightward. Away from the combat. What on Earth? At the same time, to his front Stanley saw some of the horses slowing and falling. That was it! These blasted streams were making much of the field impassible to horses. Beneath his helmet, Stanley mouthed a silent prayer that his own path to the fray would be dry enough.

Three hundred yards now.

He could hear the cries of both the men and their mounts over the sounds of his own men now. The screaming and clashing of steel getting ever closer. Richard's men looked like they'd been hit badly by that attack, as far as Stanley could discern. He kicked his horse again, encouraging it to find an extra ounce of strength. One last push.

Two hundred yards.

The scene was becoming more understandable now. Richards men were being forced back. Towards an area that looked less than ideal for cavalry, by the looks of things. Some of those who were not with the main group had already decided the fight was no longer theirs, abandoning their Lord to whatever fate had decreed. Others on both sides had now noticed the force galloping towards them. Stanley imagined the conflict going on in each man's mind. What did they feel? Hope? Doubt? Despair?

One hundred yards.

His enemies had realised. They must have done. He was bearing down on them far too quickly to be coming to their aide. Indeed, the more intelligent of them had realised their doom was approaching, and were doing all they could to extricate themselves from their perilous position. Too little, too late. There was no escape.

Fifty yards.

Now was the time. He sat up in the saddle, drew his sword, and screamed at the top of his voice, the cry being echoed by those around him.

"Long live King Richard!"

Ohhh. Now that is interesting.

It appears Stanley's plan has worked perfectly, arriving just in time to save the day (possibly). Even if King Richard doesn't trust him, saving his life has to be worth something.

The Killing Field

22nd August 1485

As soon as he struck the first blow, Stanley knew that the fight was over. There was no fight in the men turning to face him. The only ones who showed any spirit were the ones attempting to cut a way out of the trap that had suddenly closed on them. However, these were not Tudor's own men. If any still alive were, that is. He parried a despairing lunge, and despatched the man who had made it. Even now, Stanley was frantically worrying. Was Tudor still alive, so that his men could dispatch him? Would Richard be alive to appreciate such an action? Of all the foolhardy things that man had done, why had Richard attempted such a reckless charge? Where on Earth was his brother?

Sir William's force was out of sight from the moment he'd plunged into the fray. Wherever it was, it would definitely arrive too late to change the outcome. Was he still riding for this part of the field, or had he decided to go towards the infantry? Seemed like the sort of thing he might do, even if the fool would arrive far too late. This was where the battle would be won. Another swing, and another who wouldn't live to see it. The press of men and horses was taking Stanley to the left of where he wanted to go. He had to get to where the fight was fiercest. Even if only to determine who he was fighting, and who he was fighting for. A cry rang out from his right.

"Dead!"

He desperately turned his horse and forced his way through, cutting down those in his way, whoever they supported. Some fought bitterly, others only fought to survive. More still looked around, trying to work out who had died, what the cries meant to them personally. Then, the mass gave way, and he spurred his horse towards a group of men on foot, who had obviously been standing at bay when Stanley's men relieved them. He looked at the assembly in vain. None of them were wearing a crown...

Last edited:
What you reap, so shall you sow

22nd August 1485

The fight was over. Now was the time to work out what exactly had been won. Behind him, the last of Tudor's men were being gathered for ransom, put to the sword, or driven from the field. Where the man himself was, Stanley would have to try to disco...

"Well met Stanley. We must admit, we were beginning to wonder if you would arrive in time."

"Your Majesty!"

Stanley dismounted as quickly as was possible, wondering at the figure that had just spoken. Spattered with bud and blood, and several large dents on his plate, the King had obviously been in the very thick of it. In honesty, he looked like a battered man at arms who had pilfered his armour from the corpse of the previous owner. For an instant, Stanley considered the sword in his hand. It would be so easy. His men were in the majority here...

Then, his horse whinnied, and broke the spell. He sheathed his sword and spoke.

"I had not expected you to attempt such a bold manoeuvre."

"Bold? Possibly too bold. We were sorely pressed, and without horse for the latter part."

Immediately one of Stanley's men offered his mount to Richard. Stanley would have to reward him for that quick thinking later. If Richard didn't do so first. Before mounting, Richard dispatched a messenger to ensure the safety of Lord Strange. Stanley noticed an odd moment of tension, but dismissed it as quickly as Richard did the messenger. These men had just been fighting for their lives, after all. In fact, one of them had slain Henry himself, the bloodied pretender dying only yards away from the King he sort to replace. Stanley came to quickly enough to aid his bruised lord into the saddle.

"How swift things change. Just a few moments ago, We would have given our Kingdom for a horse...."

Last edited:
That's all folks!

What? That's it?
Yes...

So, it took three weeks for you to do your TLIAW, and you only managed to do one battle?
Hey! I did the night before too!

Whatever, it took you twenty one days to write up less than twenty one hours!
Yeah, I admit I procrastinated a fair bit even for me. Hence churning out all of the remaining updates today. The may not be the best quality, but they're done. That was supposed to be the essence of the TLIAD/W format.

So you're finished?
I am. I did think about ending with an excerpt from a history book, detailing the life of Richard III, mentioning his defeat of the rebel Henry Tudor at Bosworth Field, but I felt that it ended happily where it did.

What, with that cheap "horse" line?
I couldn't resist it. Plus, I'd already put in a oblique reference to Shakespeare.

You had?
Yes. The part...

Never mind that, what about all the other unanswered questions? Lord Strange, Percy et al?
I wanted to leave some things up in the air. I did intend to have Richard and Stanley mention Percy, but couldn't easily shoehorn the it into the dialogue. Rest assurred, the Duke of Northumberland is probably the most worried man in the country right now. As for Lord Strange, I see no difference to depart from OTL. I think there's already a lot of distrust and bad feeling between Stanley and Richard without a dead son.

Distrust?
Richard doesn't know why Stanley supported him, but it isn't for Richard's benefit, that's for sure. I tried to make the dialogue between them rigidly courteous. They may dislike each other, but there is an audience. I admit, 15th Century dialogue and protocol isn't my forte, so it may be very anachronistic.

"Long live King Richard!" This isn't Robin Hood, you know.
I admit, typing that felt awkward, but I didn't know how better to convey the point. If I hadn't dawdled through the rest of it so much, I might have given myself more time to think. As it was, it'll have to do.

Why are you finishing this way? Nobody else did*.
For a dramatic device, you can be annoying. You complained that I was copying wehn I used you at the beginning, now your being a pain because I'm using you in an original* way. Get out of here. Go on, we're finished.

*(as far as I know)

Nicely ended. It does of course leave many questions unanswered, but that's no problem for me. I do know one thing though; if I were Stanley I would not want to be visiting my wife any time soon! Personally, I like the allusion to Shakespeare.

I do admit though that I think Stanley choosing Richard over Henry is unlikely unless Richard's already offered him a deal that's too good to turn down. Having said that, ITTL Richard would probably be much more grateful towards Stanley than he would have if Stanley had thrown into the battle straight away so I have no doubt he will get a good reward from his chosen king.