Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Nick P

Donor
Chapter Twenty-Two: Crisis Management​

Dallas, Texas, the Mayor’s Office, January 6, 1964; 3:15 p.m.:

Now however there seemed room to hope. The news that fifteen of the twenty-five officers were being released was good news to the union.

The union representative nodded. “The union had a meeting last night and voted. We want to make it clear we put the public’s safety first. If all 25 had gone on trial, then yes, we would have gone on strike. But, given that the five remaining officers and Chief Curry may have acted either irresponsibly, carelessly, or just plain panicked we’re not going to go off our jobs for this. You can relax mister mayor. The DPD will be on the job come trial day, at least most of us will.”

Now, I may have skimmed part of the story along the way but the numbers don't add up here. 10 officers remain behind bars but only 6 are still on the hook?

The ones that don’t show should be fired. The union still won by blackmailing the nation. It needs to be the subject of an investigation for conspiracy

Chapter Twenty Three: A Meeting and a March (part one)

Geon

Donor
Chapter Twenty-Three: A Meeting and a March​

Washington, D.C.; The White House, January 8, 1964; 10:10 a.m. EST:

President McCormack was meeting with Governor Connally. Officially the meeting was to discuss the – now averted – police crisis in Texas. Unofficially it was to discuss and plan a strategy for the future for Connally’s presidential campaign.

“We’ve averted a state-wide police strike,” commented Connally, referring to an announcement by the police unions throughout the state that with the freeing of 20 of the Dallas 25 the unions considered the matter settled, “but that hasn’t helped my numbers yet. Wallace has a 5 percent lead over me right now.”

“With the present crisis settled, I think we may see your numbers go up,” replied President McCormack. “And Wallace is dealing with his own problems now, namely the bombing at Grace Baptist Church and the firebombing of the Woolworth store in Selma. Hopefully those two incidents should give some momentum to your campaign.”

Governor Connally shook his head, “So my campaign stands to gain from the death of seven innocent people, the bombing of a church, and the destruction of a five-and-dime store. Oh Lord, what a twisted game we’re playing when what is a tragedy for so many can be used to the advantage of someone else!”

“That’s one of the reasons I’m not running,” said President McCormack. I’ll fill out Jack’s term but that’s it. The game of politics is by its very nature dirty, in my opinion, and I cannot see how a good Christian gentleman can play it without getting himself dirty.”

“On the subject of dirty deeds,” continued McCormack, “John you need to know that I’ve just gotten a report from J. Edgar Hoover. The report warns that since Dr. King announced on January 2nd that the SCLC is stepping up efforts to register voters throughout the South there has also been according to Hoover’s report, ‘an increase in activity among certain racist groups in the South determined to prevent this.’ Again, in his words, ‘given the continuing uncertainty behind the deaths of President Kennedy and Vice-President Johnson there has been a low but marked increase in the membership in many of these groups.”

“How reliable is Hoover’s information,” queried Connally? “Hoover has informants planted in many of the more militant groups,” replied McCormack. “He has a pretty good idea what is going on. What this means for you John is you’re going to have to keep your eyes open. Right now, it’s Wallace that’s on the defensive but all it would take is one major incident in Texas for you to be trailing Wallace big time.”

Connally made a mental note to alert the Texas Rangers and the Texas and local police departments to look out for ‘unusual activity’ among such groups as they knew about. The last thing his campaign needed was an incident like the church attack or the bombing in Selma occurring in Texas.

“Changing the subject, is Robert still adamant he won’t run this year,” inquired Governor Connally?

“He is immovable on that subject John. I wouldn’t even bother asking him,” replied McCormack. “I think he might be willing to campaign for you and possibly endorse you. But he won’t be anyone’s running mate, and he won’t run himself, this time around, he’s made that absolutely clear.”

“Do you think you could prevail upon him to perhaps come down to Austin sometime soon to speak at one of our local party conferences,” asked Connally, knowing the probable answer?

“Governor,” replied the President, “I know a personal appearance by a Kennedy would be a great boost for your campaign. But right now, I don’t think Bobby wants to go within one hundred miles of Texas, given everything that’s happened.”

Governor Connally sighed at the expected answer. He had hoped McCormack might exert some friendly pressure on Bobby, but evidently that was not happening. “I understand John," replied the governor, "but you might want to impress on the Attorney General that the Kennedy influence could be the difference between me getting the nomination and Wallace getting it when Atlantic City rolls around.”

Last edited:
Maybe an appearance by Ted Kennedy could help boost Connally? I know he's just gotten in politics at this point, but he is a known public figure and one of Jack's brothers. Though if Bobby doesn't want to go to Texas I doubt Jackie would be willing to go either so that's out.

Geon

Donor
Humphrey Stevenson Symington?
Right now, until I learn more about the other two candidates, Humphrey seems like the best choice to carry the northern industrial states. But, if he can't carry the South that may become academic depending on how well Connally and Wallace do.

FDRFan1943

Banned
I been enjoying the timeline,

So would the President Pro tem in the Senate be considered the acting Vice President?

I been enjoying the timeline,

So would the President Pro tem in the Senate be considered the acting Vice President?
Nope. There is no actual line of succession for the vice president. It'll just remain vacant until January 20, 1965 when a new Vice President is elected. And anyways there's no way 86-year-old President pro tempore of the Senate Carl Hayden of Arizona would want the job "Acting Vice President" anyhow even if it was a thing.

Nope. There is no actual line of succession for the vice president. It'll just remain vacant until January 20, 1965 when a new Vice President is elected. And anyways there's no way 86-year-old President pro tempore of the Senate Carl Hayden of Arizona would want the job "Acting Vice President" anyhow even if it was a thing.
Next in line should be Carl Albert who is the new Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Chapter Twenty Three (contd.) Meetings and Marches - part two

Geon

Donor
Selma, Alabama, a private home; 6:00 p.m. EST:

At a private home just outside of Selma, Alabama the leaders of the upcoming march were meeting to discuss and make plans.

Among the leaders, most of them church leaders were Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Dr. Jesse Jackson, and the owner of the firebombed Woolworths.

Two police officers, the same ones who had watched over the sit-in at the Woolworths last month were also there. The chief-of-police of Selma had been invited but had refused and sent these two instead as his representatives.

“We want to keep our number manageable for this march,” said Dr. King. “I would say we try to get no more then 200 maybe 300 at the most for the march. Given the present tense situation I would rather avoid having too many people and risk a confrontation because of frayed tempers on our side.”

“What about frayed tempers on the other side,” said Jackson? “There are going to be a lot of angry people lining the march route from the church to the Woolworths store if what I’ve heard is correct.”

The two police officers responded that there would be two additional officers assigned to the march besides themselves as crowd control to keep things orderly. And although he clearly didn’t like doing so, the police chief had also assigned police officers to patrol the crowds for any sign of trouble.

Dr. King frowned. Four officers as crowd control with possibly hundreds of people lining the march route many of them hostile to the marchers. Would the police chief really have men on standby in the crowd, or would they conveniently be elsewhere at a pivotal moment in the march allowing the crowd to attack the marchers? A violent confrontation now could be a disaster for the movement and Governor Wallace who so far had lived up to his promise to lower the tension level.

The Woolworth store owner said, “If there is trouble Dr. King, I have a little argument for anyone who tries to cause trouble.” And here he reached into his jacket and pulled out an impressive Smith and Wesson revolver.

Dr. King was clearly troubled as were several others in the room at the show of a weapon. He asked the owner, “Is it necessary that you carry that on the march?”

The owner replied, “Dr. King, after I opened my lunch counter up to you and yours, I started receiving death threats by phone and by mail. For my family’s safety I’ve moved them to a friend’s house. My wife wants me to withdraw my support of you and announce that the new store will have a segregated lunch counter again, not because she’s racist but because she’s scared for our three children who’ve been threatened in school. I’ve never been one to back down from what I believe in. That’s why I’m marching with you. But I won’t leave myself defenseless and possibly have my wife and three children become a widow and orphans because I didn’t defend myself.”

Dr. King shook his head but decided not to push the issue. He has a point. Every time I go on one of these marches I wonder if I will see my wife and children again. I cannot deny him the right to protect himself.

The meeting was winding down when there was a knock at the front door. Dr. Jackson answered the door and found a young white man outside saying he had a note for Dr. King. The young man was allowed in the house and presented the note to Dr. King. It read.

Can we arrange another meeting? Name the time and place that’s convenient for you.

G.W.

Chapter Twenty-Four: Selma Bloody Selma

Geon

Donor
Chapter Twenty-Four: Bloody Selma​

Selma, bloody Selma,
In blood is writ your name,
Selma bloody Selma,
Darkness cannot hide your shame!

(From the Song; Selma Bloody Selma by Joan Baez, 1965)

Selma Alabama; January 7, 1964, 9:00 a.m. EST:

The march started peacefully enough at Brown Chapel A.M.E. church.

Over 300 marchers gathered at the church and after a prayer service began the march to downtown Selma.

By the time the group reached downtown there were, it would be estimated later, over 500 people in the march.

Crowds had also gathered to watch the march along the road the marchers took leading downtown. At first things remained peaceful. An occasional encouragement was yelled from the crowd as well as the occasional not so encouraging racial slur.

But by the time the group was approaching the downtown area and the site of the burned-out Woolworth’s the scene was starting to get ugly.

The crowds were bigger now and more hostile. Hateful words and obscenities were being shouted constantly now from the crowd. It would be noted later by investigators that:

“The crowd’s anger was being fueled by a handful of agitators who stir up the crowd’s emotions. Many of these agitators were clearly having their anger and hatred fueled by alcohol.” (From a report on the Selma Incident, February, 1965)​

By 9:50 a.m. the situation was clearly becoming more and more dangerous. By now debris – trash, paper cups, etc.- were being thrown at the marchers. The at 9:55 a bottle was thrown out of the crowd striking one of the female marchers in the head and knocking her to the ground.

Immediately some of the marchers moved to shield the woman from any further flying debris while others tried to move her back out of harm’s way. But now many lining the streets had their first taste of blood and things quickly spiraled out of control.

A group of men on the street rushed the marchers and began to exchange blows with them. Bottles and a baseball bat also appeared in the hands of some of these men as they attacked the marchers.

However, this was not entirely as one-sided as many later accounts would make it. Many of those lining the streets suddenly turned on the attackers. While many newspaper accounts would later speak of the violent crowds there were few reports of those in those crowds who fought to protect the marchers.

At the front of the march a group of men from the street swarmed the front of the march with Dr. King and other clergy as well as the Woolworth store owner. Again, punches were thrown, and the four police officers assigned to guard the march drew their nightsticks to first push and then batter back the attackers.

At this point the Woolworth store owner saw one of the rioters take out a gun and aim it in Dr. King’s direction. He also drew his Smith and Wesson and fired at the man before he could pull the trigger. The potential shooter fell. For a brief stunned moment, the crowd faltered.

Then with a loud yell the crowd surged forward against the marchers again. The four police guards had now given up on their nightsticks and had drawn their pistols, only to be mobbed by their attackers. Another shot rang out as one of the 4 officers was shot with his own gun. Seeing his partner down the other officer returned fire and one of the attackers went down.

By now the marchers were falling back and Dr. King was being hustled out of the front toward the back of the crowd. The Woolworth store owner was also falling back and some from the crowd on the street were now joining in on the marchers’ side to protect him.

Again, it is seldom reported in later accounts of the riot but friends and long-time customers at the store of the owner had gathered as a show of support and were determined to protect him.

A full-fledged riot was now raging with some not knowing who was on what side. The police protection that had bee. promised in some cases did their level best to restrain the rioters. But in other cases, unfortunately, chose to simply stand aside.

As the march retreated toward the church, they had started from their attackers continued to push in. By now, of the four police officers that had been assigned to the march, one had been shot and would later die of his wounds, two others were wounded leaving only one that was trying to protect Dr. King and the other clergy.

By now, some of the rioters were sitting fire to cars on the street whom they thought belonged to the marchers. And shouts of “hang-them” were being heard among the crowd.

The marchers retreated to the church where they tried to barricade themselves in the building even as their attackers formed outside.

As the mob outside grew several police cars pulled up and Selma police and Alabama state police began to arrest people both rioters and marchers. The Woolworth store manager was arrested as were Dr. King and several of the clergy who took part in the march. This last nearly caused a mini riot within the church, until Dr. King quieted the group with a few brief words.

Dr. King and his fellow clergy would be released by the end of the day. The Woolworth store owner would also be released. But, 22 other people from both sides would remain under arrest.

What would become known as the Selma-Woolworth’s Riot ended up claiming 4 lives and wounding over 100 people.

Dr. King would be unable to keep his meeting with Governor Wallace later that day.

Last edited:
Well poop. I guess it was 50/50 if this one would go off peacefully- guess the Klan and others will make a lot of hay about this, though the failings to police this march properly need to be investigated too.