Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Ramontxo

Donor
And with the way this going I doubt very much the said Bradley will be arrested alive... (a suicide we will know to be true but no one will ever believe in)

Imagine fucking up so badly in your first month that you end up assassinating the president. I don't think Bradley will commit suicide though since he left his gun behind.

Chapter Six (contd.) Kennedy's Response

Geon

Donor
Washington, D.C., Department of Justice, Office of Attorney General 3:00 p.m. EST:

Attorney General Robert Kennedy wanted to scream, he wanted to yell at somebody. But at the moment doing so would be counterproductive. He was presently on the phone with J. Edgar Hoover who was explaining to Kennedy the events transpiring in Dallas.

Bradley’s disappearance did not appear to be Hoover’s fault. Though Kennedy silently promised himself if he found out this was Hoover’s doing Hoover would be out of a job so fast it would make his head spin!

For now, the important thing was to find Bradley. Hoover had already put out an all points alert for Bradley. F.B.I agents and state police throughout the country were told to be on the look out for him. Bradley was the key to unraveling this mess. If he disappeared there would be endless conjecture and conspiracy theories which no number of official investigations would ever allay.

As Hoover concluded his report Kennedy had already decided on a better target for his anger.

“All right Mr. Hoover, thank you for your report. I have just about had enough of the [expletive deleted] nonsense from the Dallas Police Department. I am authorizing you to take into custody Mr. Curry and every and I do mean every DPD officer who was involved in the incident at Love Field whether he was on Air Force One or not. The charges will be conspiracy, illegal discharge of a firearm, and withholding evidence to start with. And I want them all under federal custody b the end of the day am I clear?”

“As a bell Mr. Kennedy,” replied J. Edgar Hoover. Like Kennedy he had grown tired of the DPD’s foot dragging. It was time to send a message. “I’ll have my agents and the state police begin taking them into custody immediately. One thing, does that include Dr. Rose?”

Kennedy replied, “No, Dr. Rose was invited aboard the plane by Johnson. As of now he is not going to be charged with any crime. He was simply following Texas law if a bit too zealously. We will not be charging him. . Let me know when you have them all. But be careful, don’t use more force then is needed. We don’t want a public relations disaster on our hands on top of everything else.”

“I understand sir,” replied Hoover. I’ll take care of it.”

Kennedy hung up the phone then went to get his coat. President McCormack had asked to speak with him and Jacqueline about a certain matter over dinner at the White House and he needed to calm down and prepare for that.

Last edited:

Ramontxo

Donor
And of course the Dallas Police Department will have in their possession undisclosed proof of one of their officers been guilty...

fdas

Banned
And with the way this going I doubt very much the said Bradley will be arrested alive... (a suicide we will know to be true but no one will ever believe in)
And of course the Dallas Police Department will have in their possession undisclosed proof of one of their officers been guilty...

Alternatively, Bradley is arrested alive and reveals that he wrote a note. But it turns out Curry burned the note and now the police are in even hotter water.

Ramontxo

Donor
Curry cannot burn the note as far too many know of its existence at this point, from the guys who entered the house on to a lot more in DPD. In fact given the likely infiltration of the said Police Department by Hoover the real cuestion is, does he know of it?

Chapter Six (contd.) The Sunday Roundup

Geon

Donor
Dallas, Texas; Dallas Police Department, 4:10 p.m. ;C.S.T.:

At 4:10 a small army of F.B.I. agents and state police entered the Dallas Police Department headquarters and fanned out. A group of five agents led by James Hosty entered the offices of the police chief and a surprised Jesse Curry found himself being handed a warrant for his arrest. Moments later he was being handcuffed and led out of his office to the waiting cars below.

At the same time Curry was being arrested so was the Chief of Detectives as well as 2 supervisors and 17 regular officers. Some of these returned from their patrol to find federal and state law enforcement officers waiting for them.

The mayor was hurriedly called by one of the secretaries of Mr. Curry. Even though he too wanted to see this matter resolved he felt this was too excessive and tried to phone Hoover to let him know. But J. Edgar Hoover was not taking any calls.

Presenting another warrant to Curry’s secretary agent Hosty demanded that the chief’s desk and safe be opened. He also had a court order for that. The secretary, frightened, reluctantly complied.

In the desk the agent found the letter written by Bradley and in the safe audio tapes of Curry’s interviews with the officers shortly after the shooting incident.

Another court order was produced demanding all recorded transcripts from November 22nd. Again, the personnel of DPD complied.

By the time the agents left around 8 p.m. almost 2 dozen members of the Dallas Police Force had been arrested in what would become known as the Sunday Roundup.

Last edited:

fdas

Banned
So the letter has been found. I wonder if Curry can be charged with not telling the FBI about it in a timely manner.

Yep, this is easily going to be one of the top scandals of the century. For better or worse, the FBI now have an airtight case that the DPD knew that they were at fault and actively tried to conceal that fact. It doesn't matter that Chief Curry was going all out in trying to find former Officer Bradley. The fact that Curry had a letter in his safe written by Bradley and had not notified anyone outside of the department is going to look really bad.

I suspect Mr Curry might in fact be up on charges soon.

Wonder if the secretaries should be pulled in too so see what they knew when?

Chapter Six(contd.) Dinner and Plans

Geon

Donor
@Shiva Thank you for the inspiration for this part!!
--------------
Washington, D.C.: The White House; the family dining room, 5:43 p.m. E.S.T:

Dinner had gone well. As had the conversation with the meal. Before they were seated Robert Kennedy had quietly told President John McCormack to not bring up any topics that might upset Jackie at this point, specifically no mention of the assassination, the investigation, or politics.

Thus, the President had tried to steer the conversation to more mundane subjects with the help of his wife, Harriet Joyce. All in all, it had been an enjoyable evening especially for Jackie for whom the last few days had been a nightmare.

Robert was thinking; Jackie is a strong woman but between the death of Jack, the funeral, the investigation, and questioning, having to prepare to move out of the White House and caring for the children she really needed this break.

Now, as the meal wound down President McCormack decided to broach one of the reasons, he had invited Robert and Jackie over this evening.

“Jackie,” he began, “I could use your help on something.” He continued, “I need someone to coordinate, plan, and manage formal White House receptions and dinners. You have such a touch with that sort of thing. You are good at it. So, I would like you to consider coming on my staff as Official White House Hostess.”

A surprised look came over Jackie’s features. “I…don’t know,” she said. “I would be happy to give Harriet some pointers on what to do but to come back in such a function. I’m not sure.”

Harriet smoothly picked up the conversation. “The fact is Jackie that while I have experience as a former Speaker of the House’s wife in entertaining, I simply don’t have the experience or the style you have with managing these huge affairs. I could use your help here on a full-time basis.”

McCormack continued, “There’s much to be said for accepting the position. You would not have to move out of Washington, your children could stay in their present schools. And quite honestly, I think it would be good for the nation to see a Kennedy still at the White House managing affairs in some capacity.”

Jackie wasn’t too enthusiastic about remaining in Washington, but there were some appealing aspects to the offer. She would have something to occupy her time, and the children wouldn’t have to be uprooted from their schools and friends.

“I would have to think about it,” she said. “Of course, we don’t expect an answer right away,” replied Harriet. “Now, can I ask you to come with me upstairs? I have some ideas for the executive bedroom that I would like to run by you.”

Jackie was savvy enough to know this was translated as, Robert and John want to talk alone. She politely excused herself and with Harriet exited the dining room.

After they had gone, McCormack poured another glass of wine for himself and Bobbie and settled back in his chair.

“I hope she’ll accept,” he said. "Harriet is a wonderful hostess, but I’m worried she may be out of her depth with White House receptions and formal dinners. Jackie seems much more at ease with this sort of thing. Also, Harriet is seven years older than I am. I’m worried that the stress of all these formal dinners could be more then she can handle.”

Robert nodded. Privately he hoped Jackie would accept John’s offer. Jackie needed something to occupy her mind and hopefully helping with formal dinners and receptions would allow her to use some of the skills she had gained during her years as first-lady.

Then, McCormack changed the subject. “Anything new from Oswald?”

Robert shook his head. “He’s still not speaking with anyone but his lawyer. According to my sources Mr. Bailey is going to ask for a psychological evaluation of Oswald before the trial.”

“The trial date hasn’t been set yet,” inquired the President?

“No, Mr. Bailey successfully petitioned the judge to delay setting a trial date until Oswald receives a complete physical and mental evaluation,” replied Kennedy, clearly not happy that the trial was being delayed.

“Well, we want the trial to go as smoothly as possible. Given what’s been happening in Dallas in the last 24 hours we don’t need any more complications.”

Robert nodded and took a sip of his wine. “Amen to that John. We need to find that boy and bring him in. He’s the key to fully knowing what happened on the plane that day. If he disappears, we will have every crackpot in all 50 states coming up with who knows what he kind of crazy theories. And we don’t need any of that this close to the election.”

“I agree,” said the President. “Have you given any more thought to the idea of being the running mate of whoever wins the nomination?”

Robert shook his head. “A lot will depend on who is running. Also, I am having to spend a lot of time with Jackie helping her pick up the pieces. And honestly, I need time with my family. Especially after everything that has happened, I need to spend more time with them. I am seriously wondering if I should just stay out of the ’64 campaign and wait until ’68.”

“Do you think we have a chance to keep the White House next year,” questioned McCormack?

Kennedy thought for a moment then said, “That depends on who we get and what Wallace does. If we’re not careful we could lose the black vote in the south and elsewhere. That’s why I’m withholding judgment on running right now. I don’t want to be remembered as the V.P. candidate who ran and lost. No, let’s give this some time and hope and pray we get someone who will beat the pants off Wallace.”

Last edited:
"Oswald receives a complete physical and mental evaluation," - well that will be an interesting report.

I suspect Oswald will come across as a nutter not in control, possibly playing it up for report so he escapes the death penalty.

At the Dallas Police Department Headquarters Jesse Curry had been hurriedly called back from his “leave of absence” to deal with the latest crisis.

And right now, he wished he had just taken an extended vacation and left Dallas while he had the chance. He had just gotten off the phone with a raging J. Edgar Hoover and felt like the proverbial side of beef at a Texas barbecue!

A furious Hoover had threatened to arrest “the whole damn lot of the Dallas Police force” if a certain officer Daniel Bradley (fictitious name) wasn’t found and soon.

The officer of the day had noted that Daniel was not present at roll call earlier that morning. Several calls to his apartment had not been answered.

Finally, a police car had been sent to check on what might be wrong. When they arrived, they checked with the landlord of the apartment complex only to learn that Daniel had abruptly moved out yesterday evening. He had turned in his keys, paid off the balance of that month’s rent and with only a few suitcases had left, giving no forwarding address.

Getting a search warrant the police had entered Daniel’s former apartment which the landlord claimed he had not touched yet. Inside they found Daniel’s gun, his badge, a neatly folded uniform, and a folded note.

Curry was now examining said note. In neat printing the note – dated yesterday said:

“I hereby resign as a member of the Dallas Police Department.

I have failed in my charge to preserve, protect, and defend those under my care.

My fear and inexperience led to the deaths of Vice-President Johnson and presidential aide Ken O’Donnell.

I take full responsibility for this. I panicked and drew my revolver when it appeared that Ken O’Donnell was threatening Dr. Rose. I didn’t realize that in my panic I had thumbed the safety off the gun.

My actions led to the present situation. So, as I said above, I am resigning effective immediately. I will also be leaving Dallas and trying to start a new life elsewhere.”

Now what, thought Curry? Bradley had left no forwarding address. Both of his parents were deceased. And he had at least a twelve-hour head start.

Curry had already asked all detectives on the DPD not currently working on an important case to give this priority. All of Bradley’s friends and acquaintances were to be interviewed in the hope he might have given a clue of where he was going. And the Texas Rangers and State Police had been contacted and asked to help. But time was not on their side. Hoover was breathing down his neck and that of the mayor. IF they didn’t find Bradley soon it could mean the end of the Dallas Police Department as everyone had known it

Curry had not told Hoover about Bradley’s letter. He hoped he and the Department could find the man before Hoover did in order to prove he wasn’t running an incompetent agency.
-----------
I'm back, and here is a new installment. Here I have used a fictitious name for one of the DPD officers (see above)
No safety on revolver