Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Honestly, I could see Wallace's position either hurting the Democrats in the South (with Goldwater not yet having voted on the 1964 CRA, his support for the Eisenhower Administration's previous civil rights acts, as well as not voting against the 1960 CRA, he might be able to play himself up as 'the pro-civil rights candidate'). With Wallace in play, the Republicans likely toss out the Southern Strategy in favor of staying the course, which in turn means that the Republicans might not lose voters from areas where civil rights are more popular.

Notably, with McCormack stepping down, Goldwater's loss might also not be pre-ordained - quoting the Wikipedia page for Goldwater:
Wikipedia on Barry Goldwater said:
He maintained later in life that he would have won the election if the country had not been in a state of extended grief following the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and that it was simply not ready for a third president in just 14 months.
As a result, he might perform better if the country was forced to chose between two or more different Presidents. And, of course, with Wallace inherently making Civil Rights a key campaigning point, Goldwater might not remain entirely silent on the matter - which could do quite a bit of damage to Wallace's campaign, especially if the KKK publicly supported Wallace.

Chapter Six (contd.) Reactions and Decisions

Geon

Donor
Washington, D.C.; The Justice Department, Attorney General’s Office 10:00 a.m. EST:

Robert Kennedy put down the morning newspaper and squeezed the bridge of this nose. The headline about Wallace’s entry into the presidential race had not helped his mood this morning.

If Wallace enters the race, we can virtually kiss the Oval Office goodbye for the next four years if not longer. The same for any majority in Congress. And his entry into the race is likely to make this one of the bloodiest election years on record –literally.

As Kennedy thought about the political and social impact Governor Wallace’s entry into the race might make one of his aides entered.

“Did everything go smoothly,” Kennedy asked? Oswald’s arraignment had been set for 9 a.m. earlier today. Kennedy had given strict orders regarding how the arraignment was to proceed. No prior word was to be given to the press. Oswald would be moved to the courthouse under strictest secrecy. He would and his attorney were both to wear bulletproof vests. No press release of any type would be made until Oswald was safe back in his cell. And any comments Oswald’s attorney might want to make to the Press would be released to the Press uncensored but only after Oswald was safely back in his cell. The defense attorney had readily agreed.

“No problems,” the aide replied. “Oswald gave us no trouble at all. He was silent from the moment we took him from his cell until he came back letting his attorney to the talking. He was arraigned on one count of capital murder, one count of attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder. His defense attorney declined to enter a plea at this time."

Kennedy nodded. “And nothing incriminating yet from our interrogations?” “Nothing,” the aide replied shaking his head. “But I think we are making some headway. Oswald seems to be getting a little more talkative with a few of our people. If we keep at it, I think we may get some further info on who may be behind this if anyone.”

“That’s good,” Kennedy replied. And then he said, “I’ve been reviewing everything regarding Dr. Rose and his actions on Air Force One.” He sighed. “In all honesty I’m afraid we may not have any sort of case against him.”

Over the aide’s surprised look Kennedy continued. “First, Dr. Rose was officially invited aboard Air Force One by Vice President, technically at that point President Johnson. So, we can’t try him for trespassing on federal territory. Secondly, Dr. Rose was trying to enforce Texas law. I really don’t want this office to get bogged down over who has jurisdiction over a presidential corpse. If we have to fight that battle all the way to the Supreme Court, we could end up a laughingstock win or lose. Thirdly, every reliable account we have suggests that Kenneth O’Donnell laid hands on Dr. Rose and not the other way around. Rose did not instigate the violence on the plane.”

Kennedy concluded, “So, as of right now, unless more evidence comes to light, I would say Dr. Earl Rose is off the hook.” Kennedy’s eyes narrowed. “But that doesn’t mean those Dallas Police officers, or their chief are off of it!”
-------------------------------------------
Here is a question for those who have been following this thread. What are some of the names of prominent criminal defense lawyers who might want to take Oswald's case at this time? Someone mentioned Melvin Bellii but he was into tort law, not criminal law.

Last edited:
Here is a question for those who have been following this thread. What are some of the names of prominent criminal defense lawyers who might want to take Oswald's case at this time? Someone mentioned Melvin Bellii but he was into tort law, not criminal law.
Percy Eugene Foreman - He was requested by Jack Ruby before he was given Melvin Bellii.

Francis Lee Bailey Jr. - Worked on a few notable cases including being a member of O. J. Simpson’s defense team however I think he would be a bit young at this time only having graduated from law school in 1960.

With a case against Oswald that's pretty clear cut, who would want to take the case.
The case that's got potential for a lawyer is the Dallas PD. Instant hero in some circles, especially if he gets them off.
Good thing is that that whole mess is a Federal case!

How about F. Lee Bailey? He was a defense attorney at this time (he represented Albert DeSalvo and Sam Sheppard in his retrial)...

Percy Eugene Foreman - He was requested by Jack Ruby before he was given Melvin Bellii.

Francis Lee Bailey Jr. - Worked on a few notable cases including being a member of O. J. Simpson’s defense team however I think he would be a bit young at this time only having graduated from law school in 1960.
Oswald did request the services of John Abt:

RFK is going to try and get him someone that he can work with and who knows what is going on. He won't want anyone that he could not work with.

What are some of the names of prominent criminal defense lawyers who might want to take Oswald's case at this time? Someone mentioned Melvin Bellii but he was into tort law, not criminal law.

Jim Garrison? (if he lost the DA race and is still in private practice...) >;k

If, in TTL, there is a series like Dallas, it'll probably be named Texas (which was also the name of a soap opera in OTL) and would likely be set in and around Houston (which was also an oil center in Texas, as well as being the home of NASA headquarters), IMO...

I doubt that ever the Government or Abt, himself, would accept, being chief counsel to the Communist Party USA (CPUSA) and was a member of the Communist Party, this would scream conspiracy theory and show Kennedy giving the communist a platform.

Although it was deemed false you might want to look into attorney Dean Andrews Jr.
The government can't refuse him a particular lawyer without cause.

Oswald could request an attorney but not get one in a timely manner. Miranda's court case wasn't decided by the Supreme Court until 1966 so you were not covered by the Miranda warning until then. You could see Kennedy offering him an attorney to help him, it would be someone who was a friend of him to "protect his interests" in this and help them discover what happened.
Gideon v Wrainwright was 1963, so he has a right to a public defendant and Miranda only governs the warning, not the 5th amendment rights which he's clearly invoked. The most relevant case is Rogers v. Richmond, which was decided 1961.

Geon

Donor
Do they have evidence of a conspiracy, or do they plan to drop the charge if they can't find one?
This charge will likely be dropped. At the moment the Feds have no idea if Oswald acted alone or what. There are too many loose ends here.

Quig

Banned
BTW what's our friendly CIA doing in response to all these events? They did a lot of illegal crap in this era.

Geon

Donor
Okay @Quig I'll give everyone a little spoiler here. Our friendly C.I.A. is definitely not silent. As will be noted later. All I will drop here is - anyone for a second chocolate milkshake?:evilsmile: