Slow Drift to War Europe 1984

ferdi254- I am going to do what i should have done in the first place and just ignore you. You can complain all you want while the other people who are reading the story line can enjoy. Have Fun

Farmer you have seen my last question.

Just to elaborate why do you think the WP will do better than in RSR?

Because of 6 months less preparations of the WP?

Because of 2 months more of preparation of the NATO?

Because of the NATO having 1 mio troops more on the battlefield?

Because the NATO troops having 2 months more of training?

Or because Tom Clancy having no idea what was going on (I‘d accept this as long as you‘d admit that both of you lack basic knowledge of the USSR economy)?

And just to get that sorted out the NATO had 15.000 nuclear warheads on the European theatre those 208 would not have made a big difference.

ferdi254 stop moaning and let farmer12 write HIS story if you want to do it your way write your own story and stop moaning about his. this is an alternate reality story

badfishy40

Banned
Ignore him, it is your story and I support your writing skills. Always a nit picker that wants to tear something that someone put a lot of time in. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

A point about nuclear warheads/weapons. Even more important than the actual numbers of weapons is delivery systems. Missiles are a single use only item, and nuclear capable aircraft will have attrition and as a conflict goes on, having aircraft just sitting on the runway "just in case" instead of being used for todays' problems is difficult - the temptation to use them to deliver conventional ordnance is always there. Using dual use weapons for conventional attacks therefore has the problem of using them up so they are not available should a nuclear attack become necessary, and as I mentioned before using things like missiles outside of relatively close tactical use can result in the attacked side assuming they carry nukes and responding before confirmation in the form of a mushroom cloud appears. IMHO even in a full bore exchange there will be a fair number of weapons that never leave the bunkers simply because both sides have more weapons than they have missiles/aircraft to deliver them.

ferdi254- I am going to do what i should have done in the first place and just ignore you. You can complain all you want while the other people who are reading the story line can enjoy. Have Fun

I am enjoying the story. Please carry on and ignore complaints of which there seem to be few. The important thing is that the story is engrossing and enjoyable. If Ferdi254 is unhappy with the story ( and he seems to be all the time) he should write his own version. What is written here is fiction and make believe. To work it needs to tell a compelling story in an accurate ( although not necessarily 100% accurate) way. I think it does that and i don't care if there were actually only 17689 BTR vehicles available not the 17700 mentioned in the text!

PS Frankly I am not sure we should rely on a writer of fiction in Tom Clancy ( albeit enjoyable fiction) as an authoritative historical source

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your words of support, I do appreciate your comments and i will work to keep the quality of the storyline up. Even if it means at times slowing down the posting.

sloreck- to take the nuclear warheads off of the cruise missiles would happen over General Rogers dead body. He believed that the only way he could defeat the Soviet Army was with the theater nuclear weapons.

Oh I agree, dual use aircraft might be used for conventional strikes but anything (missiles or aircraft) DEDICATED to the nuclear mission like cruise missiles is well, dedicated.

Farmer love your story old chap some readers need to remember it’s a story and if they do not like it or want to get stupid and nit pick then they should simply not read it.

The anticipation of of another WW is killing me so please keep up the great work.

Oh if any battle field nuke’s are used please let the first one hit Cyprus why we’ll that where the wife was living before we got together revenge is sweet lol .

kaymay So you want me to do your dirty work for you. Hmmm. I don't know about a battlefield tactical nuke but are either of the two british bases on the island worth hitting with a nuke

Stonpile- I will consider your request but, I am not exactly sure how to pull off that kind of strike. The leadership on both sides seemed to be committed to the Mad Doctrine. But i will considered the idea.

Last edited:
There will be posts of the next few timeline days and with all the units i am going to mention. I am concerned that i will use units more than one in more than one location if you see it do not hesitate to tell me about it. By the way the Central front Czech Austrian border to Denmark, will be broken into three pieces.

20/19 Aug WAR DAY-4 11am Moscow Kremlin
The World press was gathered in a room for a press conference, First Secretary Grigory Romanov entered the room. There was a hint of surprise and more than a little concern. He was considered to be a hard liner beyond that no one had a clue. Romanov paused as he looked over the press standing in the room. They were looking at him with no little fear and that was good.

Standing before the world press with news camera filming him, he felt the world resting on his back. He was gambling like he had never done before. If the American gave in he would save the Soviet Union or they did not then they would be at war no later than the end of next week. But they had been forced into this decision by the intransigence of the United States and its President Reagan. His refusal to accept the demands of the Soviet Union had led to this day.

The press waited for the new General Secretary to speak and they had a bad feeling that was growing. His expression was grim very very grim. Finally, an interpreter spoke to the World Press. While he watched.

President Reagan and his representative here in Moscow had not negotiated in good faith. Furthermore, they were complete intransigent. I have decided to make the demands of the Soviet Union to the world. I and the Politburo of the Soviet Union do not consider these demands to be excessive.

First- The Western Alliance will begin to immediately demobilize its forces.

Second- The NATO alliance will immediately cease its destabilizing modernization of its Nuclear force in Europe.

Third- The Soviet Union demands that five hundred billion dollars in indemnity to be paid by the members of the Western Alliance. You will be given a list of the countries and the amount to be paid by each country figuring the total GNP of the Western Allies and then figuring out what percentage of the GNP of a particular was that would give them the total.

Fourth- The United States, Canada Australia and France are all wheat exporting nations. Forty-five million metric tons of wheat will have sent to the Soviet Union at no cost. These countries will provide each provide a certain percentage of those countries will provide forty percent of the wheat will be provided by the United States. Thirty percent will be Canada while France and Australia will provide 15 percent each.

Fifth and finally The United States alone will ship to the USSR at its own cost the required Corn and Soybeans to the Soviet Union. That total will be given to the United States at a later date.

The Western Alliance had to agree to these demands on 4PM the 23rd of August Moscow time. If they are not complied to then the Soviet Union will have no choice but to take further actions. With that said The General Secretary of the Soviet Union left without saying a word. But on one in World Press had a question for him. The realization that despite everything World War was coming and no one could do a thing about it. Listening to what the interpreter had said made that clear. Then the World Press told the world.
Europe reacted in spasm of emotion, the news reports had not reported that the negotiation were in trouble. In fact, the stories they had seen on the news had been cautiously optimistic. The news that the Soviet Union was blaming Reagan for being intransigent was not making much in the way of traction with the general public. The list of demands made it quite clear that the Soviet Union had lost touch with reality in the words of one German commentator.

The Peace Movement went totally berserk, thousands upon thousands of people swarmed out into the street to protest what was happening. But while the members of the Peace Movement in Berlin were filmed while singing Give Peace a Chance. In London a member of the Labor Party announced that to save the world had to give in to the Soviet Unions demands. But despite the demands of many in the Peace Movement and on the left. The response of various NATO governments current in control of the various European power did not show no interest in giving in.

While Europe went crazy the Stavka began a briefing being held by the Commander of the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany. First, he began with a listing of forces at his disposal. The forces available to the WARSAW PACT are one hundred and fifty divisions. There were fifty Tank divisions, thirty-five Motorized Rifle Divisions, three airborne divisions and nine artillery divisions and sixty-one mobilization only divisions a total of one hundred and sixty divisions. As well as three Air Assault brigades, seven independent airborne battalions and the Polish Army’s 6th Airborne brigade strength. Three Spetsnatz brigades plus special operation groups to be sent into the rear areas of NATO to carry out a series of raids. There is also the Soviet Navies 336th Naval Infantry brigade and the Polish 7th Sealanding division but it is only brigade strength. We also have the Soviet Air Forces in large numbers to support the upcoming attack.

The first section of the Frontline we will talk about actions that will be carried out on Czechoslovakia borders. One decision has been to give the mission of taking Austria will be taken care of by the Hungarian Army and those elements of the Soviet Army based in Hungary. A representative of the Southwest Strategic Direction will go over the general placement of troops in Hungary as well as the attack plan for Austria when the Commander of the Southwest Strategic Direction gives his briefing. Any NATO forces in Austria will be the responsibility of the Southwest Strategic Direction.

Now the commander of the Soviet Force in Germany began his portion of the briefing. Thirteen mobilization only divisions from the Soviet Army. To give the force a command structures the overall command will be the 16th Army. We are using the old rifle Corps structure the 1st Rifle Corp has the 391st ,392nd, 393rd The 2nd Rifle Corp will have the 394th ,395th ,396th The 3rd Corp the 397th 398th ,399th and finally the 13th Rifle Corp with the 387th ,388th ,389th and 390th. These units must just aggressive enough to keep the assigned enemy units tied up on the frontier.

Also, the Czech 14th Tank division will be kept on that frontier just in case the Austrians get adventurous. The 1st Rifle Corp has been concentrate along the Austria Czech border to protect Brataslava. The 391st Infantry division protects the border from the Hungary to where the border go north from the Danube. From that point to the 392nd covers the border north to just east of the Austrian town of Angern an der March. With the 393rd infantry division covering the border from Angern an der March to the South Moravian region border.

Now from there the 2nd Rifle Corp takes over the line. From where the South Moravian Region border touches the Austrian border to near the town of Valtice the 394TH Infantry division will watch the border. Then the 395th from Valtice Czechoslovakia to near the town of Helvin Czechoslovakia. Then the 396th covers the border from Helvin Czechoslovakia.

The 3rd Rifle Corp is taking over the frontline with the 397th from Helvin Czechoslovakia to just west of Hnanice Czechoslovakia. The 398th will take over the frontline from Hnanice Czechoslovakia to Stalky Czechslovakia. Then the 399th from Stalky Czechoslovakia to Pisecne Czechoslovakia. 13th Rifle Corp will cover the remaining Austrian-Czech border. The 387th from Pisecne to Chulm u Trebone. The 388th will cover the line from Chulm u Trebone to Statlberg. Then the 389th will cover the line from Statlberg to Durnau. The 390th will cover the border from Durnau to where the West Germany borders meets the Austrian Border.

In case anyone is wondering a lot of the Austrian Czech border is either woodland or hilly to mountainous so despite the fact that these divisions manpower runs from two thirds to three quarter the normally authorized strength of a division. The tank force for each division run about one hundred and fifty tanks per division mostly T-34’s with some JSU Tanks, Su-85’s and SU-100’s. These division will allow other forces to be assigned to more critical avenues of attack.

We do not expect any such plans to attack by the Austrians in what they refer to as the 3rd Corp area. In the Austrian Niederosterreich Military command elements of the 33rd, 34th and the 35th Landwehr Regiments are engaged in hold positions along border along with other missions. The 32nd Landwehr Regiment along with a battalion of light Infantry from the 34th Landwehr Regiment have missions to disrupt our supply lines. While the 2nd Jager mission is to support the Landwehr Regiments along the border. There is the 3rd Panzergrenadier division its primary mission is a mobile quick reaction force but we expect that division to be pulled to the south as it becomes readily apparent where the major attack is coming from. Also reports have arrived that the Spanish armies Brunette Division reinforced by the 1st Mixed Independent Brigade of the Portuguese Army are moving into positions to the north of Vienna. But given the number of divisions that the Southwest Strategic Direction has committed to the capture of Vienna means the two division with the independent brigade will be overwhelmed by our forces. The Commander of the Southwest Strategic Direction will brief you on their plans.

Further to the west is the 2nd Corp area in the Oberosterriech Military command we had the 41st and the 42nd Landwehr Regiments holding the border with the 44th Landwehr Regiment a unit that is closer to a reinforce battalion than a regiment has rear area garrison duties.

But there does appear to be some bad news that the Italian Armies 3rd Corp is moving into northern Austria with its Centauro division and reports the that the Trento and Savona division have been committed the Trento is newly organized but made up of regular army units while the Savona is a mixture of regular and reserve troops. We have also had unconfirmed reports that the Piedmontese division is being sent. That division is made up mostly of reservists.

He then confirmed that at least nine mobilization only division would be used to occupy eastern Austria. We have moved in four more mobilization divisions from the Soviet Union to keep an eye on the Czech civilians. Those divisions are the 400th,401st,402nd 403rd.

Stonpile - The failure rate of ICBM's and Warheads could have a greater effect than people realize. I will look into that to.
I am not sure how realistic it would be, but you could have Romanov launch a conventional invasion using the USSR's superior numbers and have him try to win over neutrals and the peace elements in NATO countries by swearing to not launch a single nuclear weapon against the U.S. proper unless the U.S. does the same to the USSR proper and even then only on a 1.1-1-3 ratio after all the ball is in his playing field.
the temporary peace would break down latter over a accidental launch or one side getting slightly desperate on a front but in the end only 12-32 cities are destroyed between the two and their allies and a dozen or so military bases.

My point is MAD is important in maintaining peace and the Romanov knows that, but he and others also knows it doesn't help you once that peace is destroyed so he could just give a announcement like the above, after all he has everything to lose here he knows that even if America launches first the USSR has enough nukes to destroy it thirty times over and not like Reagan can launch a first strike if Romanov comes out like, the man for all his flaws wouldn't want to place the U.S, people in danger by spiting on the USSR's generosity and the peace movement and Western Europe NATO countries would urge him not to escalate things unnecessarily.

Last edited: