Sliders fans which worlds were the most implausible?

I wasn't interested when it started getting into aliens and stuff.

So sticking with the pure alternate histories, the Summer of Love episode was one I had problems with. It was an interesting scenario with a Vietnam-type war taking place in Australia. But I severely doubt that there would be an armed militia group called the Outback-Cong. Despite that, I liked it on a purely entertaining level

The Prince of Wails was a good episode to watch, but it had its faults. It was very heavy on (untrue) British stereotypes. We doff our hats in the street to one another as Americans fire guns in the air and go 'yeee haw!'. Red double decker buses? Too London-centric. Up until the last decade, each different area/city/town had it's own colours for it's buses. London's colour happened to be red. And the 'tyrrany/lack of democracy' was overplayed. In the 18th century, British democracy was still developing, as it was everywhere, so for me having 18th century democracy into the 1990s was very incorrect. Democracy in British America would have evolved. America would have been a very different place than it is, but I believe that it would have been a society that we would recognise and accept as a contemporary democracy. You only have to look next door to see an example of a modern democratic Commonwealth nation.

Like I say though, the first series or two, I found enjoyable, even despite its faults.

'Sliders' done right would be so awesome though. A British company should do it. It can have lots of guns and bombs and Nazi bad guys.

One of my favorite episodes of Dr Who (John Pertwee) was the one where he went to an alternate Britian set up as a fascist nation. Inferno, I think it was. I always wanted to know more about this TL.

Offhand, I'd say the fire-demon planet.

Ah yes... where they then slide to an Earth where the Middle Eastern oil reserves have ended up underneath North America,and yet everything else, it seems (politics, culture, language etc) is still the same.

I suppose that's the major implausibility about most of the Sliders worlds - the POD is often hundreds of years before the present, and yet apart from the big difference - nuclear weapons not developed, British won the ARW, whatever - everything else seems to be much the same.

Ah yes... where they then slide to an Earth where the Middle Eastern oil reserves have ended up underneath North America,and yet everything else, it seems (politics, culture, language etc) is still the same.

I suppose that's the major implausibility about most of the Sliders worlds - the POD is often hundreds of years before the present, and yet apart from the big difference - nuclear weapons not developed, British won the ARW, whatever - everything else seems to be much the same.

Well you can pretty much give the same suspense of disbelief to sliders as with star trek worlds. TV writers can't make up a DoD-esque world for a 45 minutes show. Beside too be too much into history would probably be costy and cut on the mainstream aspect of the show

NomadicSky

Banned
I wasn't interested when it started getting into aliens and stuff.

So sticking with the pure alternate histories, the Summer of Love episode was one I had problems with. It was an interesting scenario with a Vietnam-type war taking place in Australia. But I severely doubt that there would be an armed militia group called the Outback-Cong. Despite that, I liked it on a purely entertaining level

The Prince of Wails was a good episode to watch, but it had its faults. It was very heavy on (untrue) British stereotypes. We doff our hats in the street to one another as Americans fire guns in the air and go 'yeee haw!'. Red double decker buses? Too London-centric. Up until the last decade, each different area/city/town had it's own colours for it's buses. London's colour happened to be red. And the 'tyrrany/lack of democracy' was overplayed. In the 18th century, British democracy was still developing, as it was everywhere, so for me having 18th century democracy into the 1990s was very incorrect. Democracy in British America would have evolved. America would have been a very different place than it is, but I believe that it would have been a society that we would recognise and accept as a contemporary democracy. You only have to look next door to see an example of a modern democratic Commonwealth nation.

Like I say though, the first series or two, I found enjoyable, even despite its faults.

Yeah Prince of Wails one got to me as well. It's just to propetuate the ridiculous American belief that Washinton and Jefferson were fighting for freedom and that they British were tyrants. They brainwash that into us. I don't feel that would have been the case though.

British North America would be a great place indeed. Part of a world spanning Empire. Just more freedom to move around from place to place an almost global citizenship. Not to mention the British wouldn't have been as harsh on the natives as the American Government was. Slavery would have ended without a civil war.

Yeah Prince of Wails one got to me as well. It's just to propetuate the ridiculous American belief that Washinton and Jefferson were fighting for freedom and that they British were tyrants. They brainwash that into us. I don't feel that would have been the case though.

British North America would be a great place indeed. Part of a world spanning Empire. Just more freedom to move around from place to place an almost global citizenship. Not to mention the British wouldn't have been as harsh on the natives as the American Government was. Slavery would have ended without a civil war.

Well destiny probably hate us enough to make sure some other shit get just as deadly :D

NomadicSky

Banned
I think the sliders landed in the world of Angel-BVS once. There's an episode Stoker that looks like it would be a great crossover.